Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky situation, I need some opinions please!

I would really like some help here, as I am not sure to handle this situation. I had signed up for a class at my local shop. She is awesome and always has guest teachers that come from out of state to teach new things. The sign up for this class was about a month in advance and cost about $30. I was really excited as the woman who was coming to teach has a new product out and it looked amazing! Unfortunately when the day came for the class, we had horrible storms the night before with severe flooding. The town the the class was actually in was fine, but I could not even get out of my town. There are about 5 roads to use to get out of my town and they all were closed. There were cars stuck in all of them with water up to the windows, it was really bad. I called the owner of the shop and she said there were a few others who could not get there. So she told me to stop in when the roads were better and she would give me the kit from the class. When I did stop in she explained to me there was no kit, she was very upset. The woman who taught the class, said it wasnt her fault I wasnt there. It was an act of nature. I totally understand this. But she would not leave a kit for those not there. Is this a normal way to do business? The owner of the shop felt terrible, and had me take products to make up the $ difference. I really did not think it was right for her to get stuck making things right with those who could not get there. She is losing money in her shop. Should I call this place and talk to the woman who was teaching the class(she is the owner of this new online shop)or email her? I was just so shocked that she did not even leave a kit, but she still got paid her $30. I just think it is really bad way to do business. Opinions please! Help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my, I'm sorry this happened to you. I can understand you not receiving a kit if you just didn't show up, but since the weather was extreme and others couldn't safely make it there AND you called to inform them, IMO I think you should receive something.

I would call the instructor and ask, if she won't give you a kit, if you can at least get a credit toward a future class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

All I can say is that if it were me, and I had the kits made up, and you had paid for your place and had such a legitimate reason for not getting there, I would have left the kit for you! It sounds as if the shop owner feels the same, as she is making it up to you. It might be different if you hadn't paid up front, and I have no idea what the strictly legal position is, but it's not how I'd do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I would have thought the instructor that taught the class would have left you a kit...and should have. It sounds like your LSS owner is a wonderful lady and to allow you to pick out product would keep me coming back to her store, but I am like you, it is not her place to have to make up for the instructor.

You have a legitimate excuse!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

i agree with sabrina. i paid in advance for an all day workshop at my local stamp store, but i had to leave at noon because of illness. the store owner invited me to come back any time to do the sessions i missed, which i did. all the materials were there for me and the instructors went through the steps as if it were the session, except i was the only participant. and, even though a few weeks had passed, the store owner still gave me the discount all the participants received on the day of the workshop. i think the store owner should have insisted the teacher leave the kits, since she contracted her to teach and that's what each participant paid for. i probably would email the instructor; that's my two cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would call the lady and talk to her about it. I agree she should have left a kit for all of those who could not show up. I mean really she got her money what does she care if you were at the class or not. You all ready paid for the supplies so its not like she is out money. Shame on her!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, she should have left the kit. Your class fee included her instruction (which due to the weather you could not receive) as well as the materials. As far as I am concerned the teacher should have provided the kit.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Not cool. There's always extenuating circumstances in a situation. I would no longer do business with the instructor but i would definitely be singing the praises of the LSS owner! Bravo to her! Good luck...and yes, i would contact the instructor, if only to let her know how wrong I think she is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladies! The shop owner did feel terrible about this, and she did think she should have left a kit. She did talk to her, but the instructor was not leaving anything for anyone not there. I am going to have to think for a little while to get all my thoughts into an email! The sad part is I loved the product, but really do not want to purchase her products now. I can just imagine how she handles orders that are wrong! There were over 22 people at that class, not including the ones who couldnt get there because of flooding. It was a 2 hour class, I really think she could have left a kit! Thanks again, I will let you know if she responds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with all those comments above. You did pay for instruction and materials--so the materials are rightly yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickcurlView Post
The sad part is I loved the product, but really do not want to purchase her products now.
I think that's a really important point to make when you compose your letter to the instructor and probably far more compelling than any emotional plea you might make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Of course I'm curious to know what the product was.

I just don't get why she wouldn't leave the kits. She must have made them up before the class once she knew how many people there were going to be, so it's not like she didn't have them.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a bit of hot head anyway, but just reading this irks me. You paid for her time and the materials. That's it. How did you pay? I would first try to talk to the woman and see if she would send you your products you paid for. If she won't budge, and you paid by credit card, I would file a claim with the credit card company for reimbursement. You didn't receive what you paid for. What a shoddy way to treat your customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've taught and taken many classes in the past; and, whoever couldn't attend the class - for whatever reason - got a kit with all the supplies she paid for. Not only would I contact the teacher, but the LSS owner should have insisted that she leave kits for those not there. I know I would have; otherwise, she would no longer be welcome to teach in my store. And if it's a "celebrity" instructor, all the more reason to present a professional and courteous image. "Shame on her" is right. Sometimes people get a little too big for their britches, as my grandmother used to say. This teacher needs to remember that, if it weren't for all the students who sign up for their classes and/or buy their products, they would be out of a job. OK. I'll get off my soapbox now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention, I would direct her to this thread. Just let her know that people don't like being taken like that. There's no mention of who she is or her company, but just let her know that negative feedback and word of mouth on a big community like this is not going to help her fledgling business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree that she should have left the kits for those unable to attend. It's part of what you paid for.

Vic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I paid for the class in cash, shame on me! I will never do that again! I am hoping this would never happen again, I really don't think this is a "normal" way to do a class. At least I hope not! My LSS did talk to her and try to get her to leave stuff, but she wouldnt. She just said it was an "act of nature" and it's not her fault. I think my LSS, was kinda shocked, she was not happy. It also put her in a bad position because we all are HER regular customers. That's why she wanted to make it right, but I don't think it was fair to her. I have taken many classes, and met a lot of wonderful people who have their own business. Nothing like this has ever happened! I think I will direct her over here, so she can see, this was a really bad way to do business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Yes, by all means direct this woman here to read these posts!!! This is an absolutely deplorable / despicable way to treat your customers (or potential ones), and you'd think that would be obvious-- as is to us;it sounds like she needs a wake-up call to that effect. She'd never get anymore of my business, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

She just said it was an "act of nature" and it's not her fault

um, ok. I could understnad this part if she were an insurance adjustor and your home was wrecked. What the heck is she talking about?:confused:

Perhaps she's a little confused: you paid for her time and materials. Through no fault of your own, you didn't get either. Obviously her time is precious. And you paid her for her precious time, upfront. The time involved only accounts for part of that fee. The rest of the fee is for materials. You paid the full fee. All paying customers should receive the materials they paid for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
[I]
Perhaps she's a little confused: you paid for her time and materials. Through no fault of your own, you didn't get either. Obviously her time is precious. And you paid her for her precious time, upfront. The time involved only accounts for part of that fee. The rest of the fee is for materials. You paid the full fee. All paying customers should receive the materials they paid for.
Yes...well put!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

To bad you can't post the name of the business so that we could all bouycot her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadilloView Post
To bad you can't post the name of the business so that we could all bouycot her!
we could play 20 guestions...maybe by question 10, this "professional" will have a change of heart. I'm vapor locked at her attitude!!!

What is the first letter of the product name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I agree with all the above. I do have a question, sorry, if you already have answered it. Does the owner of the LSS plan on this instructor doing a class again?? Even if she is ALL that as an instructor, I don't think she should let her do another class. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

I'm a little confused. I'm assuming that you paid the store owner for the class and not the instructor directly for the class. Which means that the store owner paid the instructor the day of the class for the students in her class. So if the instructor didn't leave the kit, then she shouldn't have been paid for it, right?

So the store, if you paid them, should be refunding your money, or making it up to you as it seems they are doing. No one should be out any money. Just doesn't seem right to me.

(by the way, I agree with everyone's opinion of that instructor, sheeeesh)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss MeowyView Post
I'm a little confused. I'm assuming that you paid the store owner for the class and not the instructor directly for the class. Which means that the store owner paid the instructor the day of the class for the students in her class. So if the instructor didn't leave the kit, then she shouldn't have been paid for it, right?

So the store, if you paid them, should be refunding your money, or making it up to you as it seems they are doing. No one should be out any money. Just doesn't seem right to me.

(by the way, I agree with everyone's opinion of that instructor, sheeeesh)
That's what I was just saying to my mother, when I was telling her about this. If it were my store, she would never teach another class there, and she wouldn't have been paid for the students who weren't able to get there. She could be the best teacher on the face of the earth, but she wouldn't be welcome with that attitude. And what does an "act of nature" have to do with giving people what they've paid for? This really irks me. It really is too bad you can't tell us who she is. Can you just tell us if she's someone "famous"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Default Unbelievable..Rudeness

The first thing that sticks in my mind is 20 students in attendance plus those who were unable to attend...the class would have been packed and too many people to teach anyway. With 20 in attendance, she should have left the kits no doubt for those unable to attend..act of God is usually excused for sure, not your fault, your store owners fault, or her fault...she is unbelievable and not worth having back as a teacher again. It only makes me question her teaching ability.

I once took a class where the teacher did not have any patience for those of us having a hard time with her technique and then to top it off, we were told a full hour for lunch, so my friend and I went out and came back after an hour..our place at the table was cleared off-all supplies removed and she was already teaching the rest of her technique. I was so ticked. I emailed her and the store owner my sentiments . It was a full day lesson and the owner never offered coffee, tea or even water..but yet had us pay the BIG bucks for the class.

Plus, I NEVER returned to that shop again! I drove an hour and half to the class each way..what a disaster. Needles to say, I never finsihed that project and was completely soured to the entire technique!

What goes around, comes around...that shop is no logner in business. With business manners as this woman, word will get around.

There are many other products out there-lesson learned-do not pay cash and do not deal with this instructor again, nor buy her products.

But, you have every right to state your feelings to the instructor and should.

Good luck...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2010, 07:58 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Just want to offer my support as well. This instructor was flat out WRONG!! What does "an act of nature" have to do with this situation AT ALL??

As many have stated, you paid IN ADVANCE for her time AND MATERIALS!! You and everyone else attending paid the owner of the LSS; the owner turns around and pays the instructor. For the instructor to not leave all the materials that she was contracted to deliver is ROBBERY. What's it to her if you miss sitting through her instruction? She will be paid for her time either way and I assume she builds cost of materials into what she charges the owner of the LSS.

And, as everyone else stated, besides making absolutely NO SENSE, it's just BAD BUSINESS.

I feel for the owner and congratulate her on caring about her customers and being willing to take the hit for that lousy instructor.

I very much feel you SHOULD write a letter to that instructor but I personally would have a hard time writing something thoughtful, respectful and to the point. I can't believe any professional would behave this way. It's outrageous!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:06 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Yes, by all means direct this woman here to read these posts!!! This is an absolutely deplorable / despicable way to treat your customers (or potential ones), and you'd think that would be obvious-- as is to us;it sounds like she needs a wake-up call to that effect. She'd never get anymore of my business, that's for sure!
Just to make myself clear...in my above post, I am referring to the lady coming to the LSS who was demoing the technique, and NOT the LSS owner---she seemed to try to do her best to make this right with the customers, although IMO, it was not her place to do so...unfortunately, she (LSS) was put in a very awkward position, given this lady's rudeness and uncaring attitude.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

The instructor is wrong and should not be invited back to teach at the LSS. If she represents a major company, I would contact the company. If she is independent, I would let her know but I doubt it will make any difference.

I attend an annual retreat and one of our friends had to cancel the morning we were leaving (she got the flu) and therefore she missed the date where she could get a refund. The LSS owner that runs the retreat notified the instructors of the missing attendees and each instructor asked who was collecting the kits for the missing attendees. We received kits for all 5 of the classes. The LSS owner (Sharon at Cat's Meow in Oakhurst, CA) is a wonderful woman and everyone who works with her are classy, kind, funny and the example of how we wish others would conduct business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

I would also like to add to the original poster, congrats on taking the "high road" by not mentioning the company, product or instructor by name!

While many of us....myself included, would LOVE to know "who and what" specifically; either out of idle curiosity or to "boycott" her and her product, I think it's very classy of you to not name names. If she does get directed to this thread, that should also give her something to think about. It would be easy for you to trash her and the product to this HUGE, INTERNATIONAL audience but you haven't.

Of course, if you write her and she is rude and refuses to see the error of her ways...well then, feel free to get specific!! :-)

Perhaps, this is this instructor's first time around as a business owner, traveling instructor and she just DOESN'T KNOW what seems to be common sense, good business, and just plain courtesy to the rest of us. This instructor might benefit from gathering information from other crafty ladies who travel and teach classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I suppose it's a lesson learned for the LSS owner, too. She needs to make sure she has an agreement with each instructor that they will leave kits for students unable to attend classes or be informed that they will not, so she can advise students accordingly.

As an instructor myself, when I have students that have paid for a class but can't attend, I allow them to move their fee to a future class or take a kit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Well I sent her an email, I will let you all know how it goes! I don't know if the shop owner will have her back, she may have to lay down some rules if she does! I paid the store owner over a month in advance. There was a time frame for signing up for this class, I don't know how the store owner paid her. I don't know if it was before hand, or in the morning before the class started. I really have no clue. When I had called the owner the morning of the flooding she said, I will have the kit for the class for you whenever you can make it here. She didn't find out till after the class that this lady was not leaving kits for anyone not there. Thanks so much for your support!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is really poor on the instructor's part. Luckily most of the people in this industry are not like that. She obviously is not a business person. I would imagine if you watch her new store that she will not be around very long. Too many good people and online sources to buy from. IMO she just ripped you off. Your LSS owner sounds like a good person. I would give her as much of your business as you can. Sorry you had to experience this. Sounds like pure greed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I reiterate all that has been said by others. Can you report her to the Better Business Bureau if she is a member? If the product is not hers, can you call the company she represents? No one is so good that they can't be replaced I sincerely hope that this person who taught the class comes to her senses and gives those who could not make the class due to inclement weather their kit. If not, hopefully you will drop her name and company so others don't get cheated out of their money. That is what she has done to you. She should be thanking people for taking the class and paying hard earned money since money is a lot more scarce than it used to be. I think twice how I spend my money these days. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I totally agree with cobby's comment about this story reaching an international audience. I am here in the UK 4000 miles away reading your story and am totally disgusted by this persons attitude to customer service. If the name of the instructor had been mentioned there is no way I would buy off her either.

She needs to wise up and fast as in todays economic climate most of us have to watch our crafty stash pennies and for that reason I will only purchase from seller's who deserve my hard-earned cash! Especially with the internet offering so many alternative places to shop/get instruction, kits etc.

For the sake of $30 she really is cutting off her nose to spite her face in the long term. One final point....I think the reason that so many people have commented on this issue is the disbelief that this situation was created by someone in the crafty community. This community, I've always believed, attracts some of the nicest, kindest, caring people around and for a fellow crafter to do this makes it somehow worse!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really hate people who cheat others...you were definately cheated...you should have at least gotten the materials for your missed class....This person will probably not be around long if this is how she treats people...I dont know how these people can look at themselves in the mirror...tsk, tsk tsk and shame on her...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with all that was said here. Now... for my own two cents. The good news for all of us is that anyone who conducts business the way she did, won't be in business for very long.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I did not hear back from her yet, I am really hoping she will respond. I also was and still am in shock and disbelief in the choices she made, on how she handles her classes. I totally agree that everyone I have met in this crafting community has been really wonderful people. That goes all the way around, from people I have met online, at stores, at classes, even at garage sales! I did look into her history a little more on line. She is not "new" to the business like I had thought, maybe just new to me. She started her own business about 5 years ago, but has worked for some good companies, and been published many times. I will keep you posted, Thanks again ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:02 AM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Question hi

Did she ever get back to you?

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Very interested to know how this turned out.
Reply With Quote Likes