Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-05-2022, 10:20 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky pads, dimensionals etc

Hello,
I have been using Stix2 foam pads for decades to make my 3D cards. They have been terrific for working with and remain stuck for years (if the recipient kept them). I noticed a slight difference a few years ago in the quality but they were still quite good. Unfortunately, the last order I got were terrible. The foam was so thin that with any pressure they flattened to nothing and did not spring back. More often than not, the glue stuck to the backing paper rendering the pad useless.
I have seen a number of brands, on the internet, but these pads are too pricey to find out that they don't stand up to use and time. I use close to 75 pads on each card. A lot of cutting and work goes into each card and I do not want to have it fall apart before it is even sent.

Long story short. I am now looking for a good quality, double sided foam pad for dimensional work. Any recommendations?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2022, 07:13 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

You might want to check out scrapbook.com. They have a nice selection of house brand squares and tape that work terrific. All in different sizes. I linked the large size below for you. I find myself reaching for theirs before anyone else's. Hope this helps!

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/sbc-ptadh-3313.html

Last edited by pepperann; 11-06-2022 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, pepperann. I have used your link to scrapbook.com and have my email submitted, since their foam squares are back-ordered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2022, 02:21 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you thought of using card of different thicknesses to obtain the three-dimensional effect? I can see that foam tape/pads/sheets are going to be phased out in due course, as I can't imagine they're very good for the environment - last year, one of the supermarket-brand cards already had small squares of card rather than foam squares to support its 3-D elements.

To be completely honest, I've always hated foam tape/squares with a passion, mainly because I like to support the full area of my 3-D elements, not just part of them, as they can easily be squashed in the mail in the areas where foam tape/squares aren't present. I usually draw round the element and cut the supporting card inside the line - great for using up scraps of card or packaging. It can be fiddly and time-consuming, but so much better for the environment and you have an endless choice of height, depending on the thickness of card you use.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyndaejaneView Post
Have you thought of using card of different thicknesses to obtain the three-dimensional effect? I can see that foam tape/pads/sheets are going to be phased out in due course, as I can't imagine they're very good for the environment - last year, one of the supermarket-brand cards already had small squares of card rather than foam squares to support its 3-D elements.

To be completely honest, I've always hated foam tape/squares with a passion, mainly because I like to support the full area of my 3-D elements, not just part of them, as they can easily be squashed in the mail in the areas where foam tape/squares aren't present. I usually draw round the element and cut the supporting card inside the line - great for using up scraps of card or packaging. It can be fiddly and time-consuming, but so much better for the environment and you have an endless choice of height, depending on the thickness of card you use.

Lynda
I liked the idea of using corrugated cardboard as a heightener but found that it added a lot of weight to the front of the card and the back (using 110 lb cardstock) seemed flimsy. It works okay for medium sized embellishments, although not as nice looking from a side angle view. Foam is nice and light weight. I use cheap foam tape or cut up fun foam sheets and add glue to each side...yes I even glue the self stick foam tape as I don't trust it over time. I know we will see and end to more plastic materials in our crafting over time. Bling is on its way out too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2022, 12:29 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 661 Likes on 409 Posts

Bling is on the way out????!! No no, no, no, that can't be right! 😉
Anyway, I've got enough to be getting on with for about ten more years, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lovinpaper (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 07:49 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry to scare you Renata...I should have said glitter...it's getting into the oceans and harming sea life. I don't know if there is an issue with rhinestones other than the manufacturing end of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (11-10-2022)
Old 11-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Phew! Life would be pretty boring without *bling*!! 😊 Glitter, meh. Looks great, hate working with it. It can go. Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

You might want to look at Stampin Up! Dimensionals. They come in regular and mini size, and black as well as white. I’m not sure they would be economical if you use 75 per card, but they are high quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2022, 08:28 PM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 852 Likes on 280 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
I liked the idea of using corrugated cardboard as a heightener but found that it added a lot of weight to the front of the card and the back (using 110 lb cardstock) seemed flimsy. It works okay for medium sized embellishments, although not as nice looking from a side angle view. Foam is nice and light weight. I use cheap foam tape or cut up fun foam sheets and add glue to each side...yes I even glue the self stick foam tape as I don't trust it over time. I know we will see and end to more plastic materials in our crafting over time. Bling is on its way out too.
I still see card bling everywhere. All the craft stores around me have lots to choose from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2022, 09:01 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

It will take time for plastic bling to be phased out and maybe there will be an environmentally friendly substitute for it in time. It might not be that all bling will go just the stuff getting into the food chain. It is still very popular and readily available for the time being.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I hate when that happens-an old dependable product changes for the worse. :( Sorry to hear it.

I am not sure how "high" you want your dimensionals.

ie: I have seen a lot of people cutting a sentiment 4x to use 3 as the "rise". That way the whole thing is supported.

McGuire uses a foam in a large piece to support a whole panel. I forget the brand but if you look at her Favs of the year...they will probably be in there. Is it fun foam? Foamies from Michaels? I cant remember. But she is not depending on the adhesive-she is adding glue to both sides to make sure it stays stuck.

Years ago Sandy Allnock spoke about "the precious"....which is a large roll of foam tape that you can cut to fit a lot of cases but is a tape so not full coverage unless you use a bunch of strips of it.
It is not cheap but it holds up.
Scotch 3M 1/2 inch x 36 yard double sided foam tape. It's on AZ now for like 42 dollars. But remember, 36 yards is quite a lot. It is very big.

Angelnorth here uses a thick glue for low dimension...called...Pinflair glue gel. I have not gotten it yet-been sold out at AZ for a long time and I had forgotten about till now. I think you have to let it dry and not press down on it?

Here are sheets at Ellen Hutson out of Spellbinders. Nice that there are some black in there.

https://www.ellenhutson.com/pop-up-d...-spellbinders/

Simon says stamp has several kinds including a thicker one from Makers Movement.
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/searc...&q=foam+sheets

I don't think (or I hope) foam does not go away as I use it for shakers and I love shakers.

I am not sure how long any product is going to hold up...I don't usually worry about that past say some years in making cards. (how often do we bemoan how people just toss cards we sweat over?) Seems to me though that if you are doing a project and you want it to hold for many years, I would think about using a glue as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 03:46 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am not sure how long any product is going to hold up...I don't usually worry about that past say some years in making cards. (how often do we bemoan how people just toss cards we sweat over?) Seems to me though that if you are doing a project and you want it to hold for many years, I would think about using a glue as well.
I'm usually more worried about glue, foam, tape, and stickers lasting many years in my craft supply area until I can get around to using them! 😂

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2022, 04:05 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Me too! I just went to use my fabric stiffener and then my petal porcelain and they were both hardened to a rubber lump in the bottles. I had to throw both almost full bottles in the garbage.

I have seen people use silicone caulking to raise embellishments up, but it takes a long time to harden so not really practical for me. I have even seen it used in store bought cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Renata Joyner (11-14-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

I use Scotch Foam Mounting Tape. It comes in a roll and I can cut it to the size pieces I need. Joann and many other places carry it, but I can use a coupon at Joann and Michael's as it is rarely on sale and 40-50% off makes it reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes