Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well three positives for me!

1. I had no idea that the tutorials in the Weekly Inkling were archived. It's my own fault I'm sure it's on the home page and if I took the time to look... So I found that and love it.

2. I DID get a subscription to TJ. More based on the other TJ thread than this one, but I only clicked that one because of this one.

3. got to see cuite pie daven post.
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and I found two awesome blogs!

make that 3, just clicked Staming A Latte and it's rocking too.
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please see this thread:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Particularly posts #29 and #74.

Thanks.
Stazon Splitcoast

brass whats? I mean, what?;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Crimping Master

Default Warning: be very careful with this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SodakStamperView Post
I have watched, week after week after week, while techniques published in the Technique Junkies Newsletter get posted here on SCS only a day or so after they get printed. I have often wondered if the people who are doing this, and SCS who most CERTAINLY knows where they are coming from ever feel in the least bit guilty?
This is the most blatant stealing I've seen. A person could say that nobody "owns" a technique I suppose. But come on people!! Every single issue of TJN has the techniques appear here on SCS almost IMMEDIATELY after it is published. There is no way that is circumstantial, no way!
Can't you stand on your own feet here at SCS without taking something for which you have not given any compensation whatsoever?? Aren't you the least bit ashamed of your tactics??
What can you say? I doubt my note will get printed here, after all, this is theft I am talking about. Too bad that SCS is running their own reputation into the ground, even worse....you, the members are letting yourselves be accomplices by not standing up for something that is totally and completely wrong, to say nothing of illegal.
I am not ashamed to sign my name, after all it is not me who is stealing is it?
Connie Piotter aka sodakstamper
You need to be VERY careful with your accusations and what you're writing about other people/sites on here. Try Googling "online defamation suits" or simply "libel." Just because you're posting online, you're still ACCOUNTABLE for what you write about others.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Oh and I found two awesome blogs!

make that 3, just clicked Staming A Latte and it's rocking too.

{{blushing}} Thanks! You totally made my night!! And for the record, I'm with you on seeing Daven post
Sassy Shani

Postive thoughts
Postive thoughts
Positve thoughts
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
brass whats? I mean, what?;)
Spew!! Now, that is hysterical! Thanks for the laugh!!
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowelk1View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone, but Pat Huntoon of Technique Junkies has gotten very upset about SCS members using her tutorials, as techniques of their own. As any junkie can relate, Pat makes the statement that although a technique cannot be copyrighted, her WORDS and sentences are. Therefore, you cannot just change a word or two in her instructions and consider it your own. Please, if anyone describes a new technique that is from the TJ newsletter, pleae give proper credit where it is due... refer to TJ Newsletter for instructions. This lady spends approx. 50-60 hours a week creating her newsletters, and works very hard to give credit to her contributing artists. Please offer her the same courtesy...
Cindy Frazier
Hi Cindy,

Since there is already an active discussion about this very topic, I am merging your thread. You can continue to follow the discussion there. Thanks,

Lori

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Maybe it's time for SCS to become a pay-for-membership enterprise, too. I'm in favor of that. Then people would have to pay to spout their opinions. Makes a person think twice, doesn't it? Just because SCS is free doesn't mean it doesn't take a ton of work to run.
NO, that wouldn't be right either. there are many of us, who do not stir up trouble, yet we wouldn't be able to afford a membership...why should we be penalized?
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SodakStamperView Post
I stand corrected and have calmed down enough to apologize for my outburst. I am not accusing SCS of stealing techniques since I realize nobody owns them as such. However I do find it very suspicious that when an issue of TJN comes out in print, it isn't long after that we begin to see Pat's published techs here on SCS. One after another and another and so on. Certainly not a coincidence that it happens like clockwork I think. Someone is taking the TJN techs and passing them on here.
I am also sure that your person-in-charge of posting techniques will tell you that they have done nothing wrong. I can see very well what is going on though so I don't believe that others cannot. TJN techniques are sent to the design team months ahead of scheduled publication so that would not be a problem for someone who is bent on taking them and passing them on. I stand firm on my belief that it is dead wrong to take something that someone has worked hard to gather together, that someone has a business that deals in selling their hard work to paid subscribers and post it in public without one single acknowledgment or credit to the one who did all the work.
I am on the Turbo Team for TJN and I can see the pattern here on SCS and how it "feeds" off Pat's hard work and find it hard to accept excuses that have been given for posting another person's work without crediting that person for it. I am sure the majority of stampers here have no idea what is going on, just as I am sure that those who offer TJN techniques know full well what they are doing.

I am shocked that you are on Pat's Turbo Team. If Pat has a Problem with SCS she should have came to Daven personelly. NOT you in this open forum! I cannot beleive you! I have an open paypal invoice for Pat to renew my subscribtion ....do I hit enter or not!!!
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

I don't mean to offend anyone, but Pat Huntoon of Technique Junkies has gotten very upset about SCS members using her tutorials, as techniques of their own. As any junkie can relate, Pat makes the statement that although a technique cannot be copyrighted, her WORDS and sentences are. Therefore, you cannot just change a word or two in her instructions and consider it your own. Please, if anyone describes a new technique that is from the TJ newsletter, pleae give proper credit where it is due... refer to TJ Newsletter for instructions. This lady spends approx. 50-60 hours a week creating her newsletters, and works very hard to give credit to her contributing artists. Please offer her the same courtesy...
Cindy Frazier
If Pat is upset, Why did she not go to Daven????? I don't undersand why this is coming out now!!
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
Postive thoughts
Postive thoughts
Positve thoughts
Serenity Now!

Insanity later!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Quote:

Cindy Frazier
If Pat is that upset over this situation I hope that she will take the time to contact the owners of SCS directly and attempt to resolve the situation. I don't think that anyone on SCS would intentionally do anything to hurt Pat or take advantage of all the hardwork that she does. When it comes down to it we all just want to enjoy this great craft and from what it seems many of people on SCS are part of TJ and I truly hope that it can continue to be that way.
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappincatView Post
Please see this thread:

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Particularly posts #29 and #74.

Thanks.
I'm confused, isn't that link to this same thread?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think TNJ just got a whole new slew of subscribers. It is a great newletter/technique information source. Lets all make this a positive for both parties.
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post

That was a post in a different thread than this one which has now been merged into this thread.
Mad Swapper

Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I am shocked that you are on Pat's Turbo Team. If Pat has a Problem with SCS she should have came to Daven personelly. NOT you in this open forum! I cannot beleive you! I have an open paypal invoice for Pat to renew my subscribtion ....do I hit enter or not!!!

IMHO .. I don't think we should turn on another fellow site, I think the OP will have enough trouble on her hands when Pat gets wind of what she has stirred up on SCS. If Pat is not aware of what is going on is it fair to stop recieving what you enjoy from her because of one wayward Turbo Team member with a Super Turbo chip on her shoulder....??
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

There have been a few threads started, and we've merged them into this one to keep the discussion to one thread. Sorry for the confusion.
8 Cow Woman

I positively think that Beate ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

The amount of time she spends each and every week coming up with new tutorials for all of us at SCS, not to mention the completely different ones she posts on her blog is staggering! She is an amazingly talented stamper and we are so lucky that she loves to share with all of us what she loves. :-D

And I am also positive that I truly *heart* Daven and everyone else on the SCS team for all their hard work in making this site AWESOME!!! :cool:

And I am also positive that the few issues of TJN that I have seen are really cool and well put together and that Pat works her butt off to produce her lovely newsletter!

And that's my positive thoughts. *grins*
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrielleView Post
I positively think that Beate ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: :cool:

The amount of time she spends each and every week coming up with new tutorials for all of us at SCS, not to mention the completely different ones she posts on her blog is staggering! She is an amazingly talented stamper and we are so lucky that she loves to share with all of us what she loves. :-D

And I am also positive that I truly *heart* Daven and everyone else on the SCS team for all their hard work in making this site AWESOME!!! :cool:

And I am also positive that the few issues of TJN that I have seen are really cool and well put together and that Pat works her butt off to produce her lovely newsletter!

And that's my positive thoughts. *grins*
Wonderful positive thoughts!! I am with you all the way!
Cardstock Collector

i was not aware when I posted my comment, that there had been so much discussion about this topic....trust me girls, the reason I LOVE SCS is for the inspiration I recieve from the galleries! However, most of the gals who post, will include a comment, such as, "inspired by so-and-so's card". I'm all for scraplifting and CASE-ing, and would be flattered for someone to "steal" one of my originals, but I really feel that if I "borrowed" an idea from someone else, and then posted that idea PUBLICLY, that it would be on my conscience to acknowldege them.
I am well aware that this is not an earth shattering topic, and I too believe that we all need to get along....just don't want to step on any toes or hurt anyone's feeling in the process....
Cindy
Glitter Guru

I must say that TNJ is not in a very favorable light at all at this point. (I had had this on my list of soon to invest in after I checked it out after a lady, whose work I really like said she was picked for the Design Team~ but if I have to fear such hate mongering if I were to make a card ~ post it in my gallery & heaven forbid forget to give all the copyright dets ~ I maybe shouldn't have it on my list... and I so wanted the cd's for my laptop when my internet was down... seriously rethinking here...)
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
Here are the links to the past year of TJN and SCS Newsletters. I really don't see much overlap at all. And those projects that do show up in both, are ones that are very common and everywhere on the web.

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/newsletters.php

http://www.patstamps.com/Newsletter_Stamping_Technique_List.html
this clears it up somewhat. I do not have a methodical mind and therefore did not cross-check each technique release date in detail, but something jumped out at me, and I may just be rocking this already rocky boat, but I saw a tutorial that was FIRST posted on SCS and LATER posted on TJN.

I am NOT saying TJN copies SCS, (i like many of you have never heard of TJN and that would be childish of me to say "I didn't do it, SHE did...") but i'm merely saying that trends/techniques/processes go through phases, and it MAY BE a coincidence?!
Sassy Shani

Can't we all just "stamp along"? :mrgreen:
Hardware Hotshot

positive,
postive thoughts.... got to keep the positive...
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Yes, I posted it in a thread that was merged with this one.
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christine PView Post
That was a post in a different thread than this one which has now been merged into this thread.
Whoops, I shoulda kept reading.
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
Can't we all just "stamp along"? :mrgreen:
hear hear!
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I am positively hoping that the suggestion that SCS become a paid site will be ignored. My sweet DH won't let me spend any more than I already am on my all-consuming hobby. ;)

a long while ago, I was interested in a card I saw in the gallery here and how it was made. The person who made it referred me to Pat's newsletter TJ. I found out I had to pay to receive it and that ended it for me. I am content to not learn a new technique when other things are more important in my budget.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Mad Swapper

In this happy stamping world it isn't one site against another... we are all free to make the choices of which way we prefer to learn from the great techniques posted on SCS or TJ or Singin Suzies new blog or whatever (hope thats not the real name of someones blog) .. why can't we just all play nice ... I am so grateful to have found SCS ... I have learned alot and in awe of the awesome talent on here ... but many I am sure are just as happy with TJ ...

I have seen on SCS all the time how we cased an idea from ????.... even if it is not remembered where they saw a technique or a layout it is noted and an apology and even a request for someone out there to step up and take credit where credit is due if they recognise their technique ...

I think SCS is a WONDERFUL place to be !!!!!!!

And Kharmagirl ... I was just on your blog and will be giving you credit on a sketch I am using of yours...awesome blog and thanks for the inspiration !!!
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy_38View Post
In this happy stamping world it isn't one site against another... we are all free to make the choices of which way we prefer to learn from the great techniques posted on SCS or TJ or Singin Suzies new blog or whatever (hope thats not the real name of someones blog) .. why can't we just all play nice ... I am so grateful to have found SCS ... I have learned alot and in awe of the awesome talent on here ... but many I am sure are just as happy with TJ ...

I have seen on SCS all the time how we cased an idea from ????.... even if it is not remembered where they saw a technique or a layout it is noted and an apology and even a request for someone out there to step up and take credit where credit is due if they recognise their technique ...

I think SCS is a WONDERFUL place to be !!!!!!!

And Kharmagirl ... I was just on your blog and will be giving you credit on a sketch I am using of yours...awesome blog and thanks for the inspiration !!!
Thanks Terrie!! Glad you liked it!! Big hugs!!!
Die Cut Diva

Wow!! That is my first thought. I have seen some heated discussions on SCS but this one takes the cake.
I don't know anything about TJ other than it exists. I look at some but not all tutorials here on SCS. The ones that I have looked at are always wonderful. I appreciate the fact that someone would take the time and effort out of their day to put something together to share with me and others. I think we owe Beate and everyone else who has done a tutorial on SCS a big THANK YOU.
I love this site and it saddens me to think someone would be so nasty to another human being and to the people who work so hard on this site. If you have a real problem with something handle it in a professional and respectful way. I really don't care if there was a theft or not, what I find most distasteful is how the OP chose to handle it.
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't personally subscribe to TJN, although it's on my wish list. I know several people who get it and they have nothing but high praise for it. I wouldn't let one irate poster dissuade me from subscribing if I were considering it.

I am also a huge Beate fan and think her work is fabulous. I appreciate all those who give their time and talent to teach the rest of us. When people stop sharing their knowledge and love of a craft, it eventually becomes a lost art.
Stazon Splitcoast

Yea, I'm not going to let this thread reflect on TJN. I'll let it reflect on the posters in it.

Although honestly I won't really worry about them either.

Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

One more positive post from me: TY SodaKStamper! I don't watch soap operas, so I look to SCS to get my fix. I wasn't let down tonight.

;)
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Glitter Guru

I just wanted to say thanks to SCS and everyone here. I love the way this site is run and appreciate all the work that goes into it. I have tremendous admiration for all the team and members here, especially Beate for all her creativity and generosity.

It has already been said, but I will take up the cheer....BEATE ROCKS!

My Blog - Crafting The Web | Illustrator and Designer for - Gina K Designs

2012 Design Team Member - Spellbinders
Stazon Splitcoast

[quote=cowelk1]
Technique Junkies....copyrighted words
Cindy Frazier

Quote:

i was not aware when I posted my comment, that there had been so much discussion about this topic....trust me girls, the reason I LOVE SCS is for the inspiration I recieve from the galleries! However, most of the gals who post, will include a comment, such as, "inspired by so-and-so's card". I'm all for scraplifting and CASE-ing, and would be flattered for someone to "steal" one of my originals, but I really feel that if I "borrowed" an idea from someone else, and then posted that idea PUBLICLY, that it would be on my conscience to acknowldege them.
I am well aware that this is not an earth shattering topic, and I too believe that we all need to get along....just don't want to step on any toes or hurt anyone's feeling in the process....
Cindy

This is not earth shattering either, but just something I noticed... like the OP you've also been around SCS for 2 years, received inspiration from the galleries and yet all your posts (2 at the moment) have only been in this thread. It's a common practice around here to post a courtesy comment in a gallery on projects that you really like or find inspiration from. Some of these artists work long hours, often on one project, and provide them for free in their galleries so the rest of us can get inspired and grow as a stamper. I didn't realize how much it meant until I got a few PMs from a few of these talented ladies thanking me for some of my comments. Yes, it's a small thing, yet it means a lot to the artist. ;) Hugs!
Die Cut Diva

Ok, I've been a TJN subscriber for several years but think I discovered SCS first. Are some of the techniques the same? Yep! Can you find these same techniques elsewhere? Yep! Can we all get along. . .I certainly hope so!

One of these days, I'll do more than just read the techniques and might actually give them a try.

Check out my blog

Here's my gallery
Crimping Master

I have just spent the last 20 minutes reading all the posts in this thread and have run through a range of emotions from offended, to mad, to rightous, to indignant. Right now I am resigned that there are opinions out there that attack others.

The lesson from all of this for me is that Daven and his crew do a fantastic job running SCS. Great posts by Daven btw.

Pat and her crew do an equally fantastic job of publishing TJN.

I am a TJN subscriber for almost three years and I am a paid member of the fan club here on SCS as well, BECAUSE I want to support the inspiration I receive from both.

To all of you, keep up the excellent work. There are people out there like me that appreciate what you do for us stampers.

Quite simply - THANK YOU!!!!!!