Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting over & Keeping it simple

After my divorce and cross country move, I find myself missing making cards. I'm ready to get started again, but I have NOTHING and I live in a big city in small apartment. I like to make cards as a creative outlet more than anything else, and I'm super persnickety about fundamentals like straight cuts and solid score lines. So, I am seeking your advice on what products to acquire, and, how to keep things really simple. I'd rather spend money on a few of the exact right things than spend the same amount on a larger quantity of less right things.

Here is what I am thinking at this time:
- Scrap N Cube QB Under the table storage cart. Hopefully to keep cardmaking footprint to this unit and maybe another totebag and an ink pad storage unit. I don't travel to make cards. At first I thought a Crop in Style XXL, but apparently you can't get those anywhere?!
- Dahle Rolling Trimmer - - Anyone have thoughts on these vs. the Tonic guillotine trimmers?
- Scor Pal vs. Scor Buddy - - I am going to be card making only and doing only digital scrapbooking from here out, thoughts on going to the smaller Scor Buddy?
- Glue. Going with glue glider pro and hopefully that will be around for a while. . .if you have other ideas let me know. Of course glue dots and glue pens and other necessary glue will also be acquired. I've had an ATG in the past and found it a PITA.
- Basic supplies. Tonic non-stick scissors. Snips. Ribbon scissors. Crop O Dile. Corner Chomper. Bone folder. Dimensionals. Stamp and block cleaning necessaries. What else am I missing?
- Die cut machine. My goodness there are options these days. Leaning toward the Big Shot, but interested in the new Lifestyle Evolution. Other suggestions? I want a universal machine that's solid. I do not want a digital die cutter, and I would prefer a non-electric machine. Also, solid die storage ideas welcome! Has anyone topped the Lifestyle magnetic folders for thin metal dies?
- Ink Pads. I've always liked Momento and Close to My Heart for ink pads. I am interested in thoughts on the new Paper Trey and Amuse Studio Pads.
- Cardstock. Well there's a world of paper out there. I think I'm going to go with Paper Trey and limit myself to basic colors, like cream, white, kraft, and a color sampler to start (then determine what colors I want to purchase in larger quantities). I have always been a fan of SU cardstock, too.
- Stamps. Definitely unmounted rubber and photopolymer! Love the DVD case storage model now upon us.
- Clear blocks. Wow! There's been a market explosion. Any thoughts? CTMH, SU, Amuse, Unity. . .kind of thinking one of the lines with a storage case. But any others I should consider?
- Xyron. I have been crazy about xyron in the past but I was doing tons of details die cutting and letters. Not sure I will go that route again as I won't be doing paper scrapbooking.

Obviously I'm not buying all of this at once. I'm thinking the a tote bag for storage, trimmer, the scor pal, scissors, blocks, glue, basic cardstock, and some STAMPS are first on the list!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I don't know the prices on the acrylic blocks you mentioned but I have, and love, the Inkadinkado brand purchased at Michael's with coupons. They have grid marks and the edges have indents all along them for your fingers to fit in. They are thick as well. Whatever you get I highly recommend the grid lines; they are indispensable in making sure your images and sentiments are straight.

There is also a set of THIN blocks with grids put out by Tim Holtz. Thinner will take up less space so that might be an option you want to consider. I started out as a wood block only stamper so I wanted acrylic blocks with the same thickness as wood; it just works better for me!

I think your "first on the list" items are great and should get your started just fine. I have the Tonic 12" square guillotine trimmer and love it; but I buy lots of 12 x 12 pattern paper that needs trimmed down. You might be fine with the smaller size.

My first scoring board was the Martha Stewart 12 x 12 with lines every 1/8". This was also purchased at Michael's with a 40% off coupon. It works great for me since I sometimes need to make a special size envelope; but it is inconvenient to store. I have since purchased the Scor-buddy and love it too! I mostly use that for card making now. It stores in my plastic tote with scissors, colored pencils etc. and takes up less space on the crafting table if I happen to leave it out. The Martha board only comes out for envelopes these days.

Can't go wrong with Papertrey paper. Nice and heavy and great for card bases. It will stand up on it's own even if you tend to add lots of layers and embellishments; but it's such nice quality that it makes a one layer card look elegant as well.

You might want to look into an ATG tape gun for your gluing needs. After going through the double stick tape runners offered by SU and few from local craft stores, I finally bought one. The regular tape refills are easy to get with a coupon and one refill lasts me quite a while. Depending on how often you produce things it might be the way to go. Nothing has ever come apart on me using this tape.

I have purchased a few Amuse studio ink pads and LOVE them. The colors in the Fall line up are so yummy. They are a pigment ink so take longer to dry but I get good coverage with them on rubber or clear stamps. Mostly I still use SU ( used to be a demo ) but am slowly phasing them out and leaning toward Memento. I just can't use SU ink on any of my clear stamps and get good coverage. It beads up on the stamp. I've tried every trick suggested and it still comes out blotchy. Memento seems to work well on both rubber and clear.

Have fun restocking!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would also chime in about getting the pink ATG gun. I get the 3M 60 yard regular (not acid-free) tape for it since I am strictly a card maker too.

I love PTI cardstock and it's cheaper than SU's.

You'll also save space if you stay away from those large paper pads. Most of the designs in those are geared toward scrapbookers anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the Tonic guillotine cutter because you can get finer cuts. I never could hold the paper for narrower cut with a roller type cutter.

I like longer blade scissors when cutting out images. I have bought lots of scissors trying to find one that makes straight cuts - Martha Stewart All-Purpose ones are the ones I like. (please pm me for more info)

Also, like the acrylic blocks with scallop edge and grid lines.

The Big Shot is a very good die cutting machine. You can find replacement plates easily. The opening is about 6" wide so will accommodate most dies.

Black ink pads - Versafine Onyx Black is a nice dark black. Memento Tuxedo Black if using alcohol pens to color. (I can never get it to stamp as crisp a black outline as Versafine but bleeds when using alcohol pens. Stazon Black for stamping on non-porous material.

The ATG may look large and clumsy but it is a $$$ saver. Look in the 'Tool' forum - someone linked to the Pink ATG w/2 refills for @ $15.00.
Good luck!

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 02-19-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Add'l comments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

As far as acrylic blocks and storage case, I purchased all the SU blocks and the storage case. My blocks are in a basket and I gave that case away without blinking. It's a nightmare. Every time you open it, the hinge pops off... I couldn't stand it. Went looking online to see if anyone else had problems and it seemed to be common so I didn't bother trying to exchange it. Of course, now I can't find whatever search term I used. I remember that most of what I found had to do with the cases that stamps come in, but I eventually found it. Maybe by using the official name? Can't remember.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with that again. At the time I was a demo and thought it'd be helpful for storage (small footprint for one thing), but I should have known that if my demo didn't have one, there might be a reason...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I also buy inkadinkadoo clear blocks with the grid lines for 40% off @ Mike's. I also found these at a liquidator store for $2.50 for the same $10.00 2-pack at Mike's.

SU, Papertrey, and Gina K have great cardstock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome back to cardmaking...I use all different ink, but if you do plan to use copics in the future you should have at least a black memento pad as it works great with them. I love Gina K, Papertrey Ink cardstocks...use Georgia Pacific (Walmart) for small pieces or focal points as it is only $5.98 for 150 sheets and when I am cutting small pieces and it is NOT my base, I don't mind that it is thinner. I spend on the thick high quality for bases or when the card is a one layer card etc. It saves me a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm an SU girl for this very reason... it keeps it simple. ** it's the way I honestly feel and it's all my humble opinion only:

• Trimmer- The fiscars trimmer works well and it's light and portable. The blades are cheap to replace and the cuts are great.
  • Scor Pal vs. Scor Buddy- go smaller if you aren't going to score big pieces if you go big, look at the Simply Scored.
  • Glue. The green Mono-multi is a miracle in a bottle... no mess...smudges clean up... holds like iron after a couple seconds to adjust.
  • Basic supplies. One pair of good snips, like SUs,. Crop O Dile. Bone folder. Dimensionals. Stamp and block cleaning necessaries. What else am I missing? The glue eraser.. a-mazing and $3; aqua painter if you color with inks
  • Die cut machine. Big Shot.. wonderful, well made, versitile
  • Ink Pads/Card Stock: This is where going SU simplifies, everything coordinates so there is less to buy and then try to match.
  • Stamps. Sounding like a broken record, unmouted SU in the DVD cases, a couple multi purpose sets like Button Buddies and a sentiment set.
  • Clear blocks- SU's are truly the BEST and they do have a storage case but a clamshell box will do.
  • Xyron. You don't need it.
You are forgetting some embellishments: Get some ribbons, buttons, pearls and brads. Get ones that match from the get-go! The details are what takes a card from ok to Wow!

Welcome back...your creativity missed you!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 02-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: SPR - demo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Storage ideas- I saw the cutest storage idea the other day at 2Peas. The girl used two decorative trunks. They were very small and hid all her tools perfectly.

Trimmers- I use my Xacto knife and ruler. I have straight cuts, luckily. If I was in the market for a trimmer I would buy a Dahle or Tonic.

Scorbuddy- Perfect for cardmakers. For simple I would use my paper trimmer.

Glue- I am a GGP fan too. I am so frugal it's not even funny. I don't mind buying the refills for GGP because I just think the ATG is huge. I just posted this on another thread. I read over here a lady was using the ATG tape in her GGP.

Other glues that I think are important:
Dimensional Glaze Glue- Example Glossy Accents
Zip Dry. Beacons 3-1 and Fabric Tac are the same.
Aleene's Tacky Glue

Die Cutter- Big Shot

Ink Pads- I use Memento for my Alcohol Markers. I think CTMH is a good choice too. I use SU inks. I heard the Amuse inks are amazing. I don't like PTI's inks. They have really turned me off on their inks.

I like SU's cardstcock. I did hear PTI has beautiful CS.

Clear Blocks- I use a variety of acrylic items I found in my home. If I was in the market I think your idea of a storage case set is brilliant.

Xyron- No. It is great to apply detail cuts. I have been using Zip Dry and I love it for my detail paper cuts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:54 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I use mostly SU, but love Gina K for card stock too. I have tried several clear clocks but love SU hands down! I also love the distress inks and the matching cardstock is a plus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #11  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ACRYLIC BLOCKS:
I rarely use unmounted stamps (strongly prefer wood-mounted rubber) but for those images only available in clear or only affordable as unmounted rubber I own a Fiskars Stamp Press (it comes in two sizes; I have the smaller one). It has grid marks which I think is very important for aligning images. I've seen the smaller one in chain stores so it could be purchased with a coupon but my LSS had it for just a few cents more than the coupon price and got the sale. Here's a link so you can see what one looks like:

Easy Stamp Press / Crafting / Products - Buy Online (Price $19.09) | Fiskars

There was a recent review (perhaps on a blog) about how this tool gave the best impressions with clear stamps. Hopefully someone will remember this and post a link as all my favorites were lost due to a recent computer crash.

CARDSTOCK:
I use Cougar Opague in various weights (65# for intricate punches/diecuts; 80# for layers and other diecuts; 100# for card bases). The white is bright but I haven't compared it to the white from Gina K. Designs or Papertrey Ink. It is definitely brighter than the Georgia Pacific 100# cardstock but that is an affordable option, especially for mass-production. I get the Cougar at a fairly local paper warehouse so perhaps you can find one in your area. I recently bought 3 reams of cardstock (250 sheets each of 65#, 80# and 100#) plus 500 envelopes for under $40. There are online stores that sell Cougar that may have even better prices.

SCORING TOOL / BONE FOLDER:
If you go with a scoring board the tool can also be used as a bone folder so I don't think you'll need a separate one. I own the Martha Stewart one (I wanted the 1/8" option) and like it but most often I just make cardbases and use either the (black) scoring tool from my Fiskars trimmer or use a stylus in the trimmer's track. I have not seen/used the Scor Pal, Scor Buddy or the one from Stampin'Up! I think I'd like the place markers on the one from SU but don't need another tool like it.

ADHESIVES:
I found the Glue Glider Pro to be much easier to use than the ATG but not a cost-saver over buying the handheld SU Snail or Tombow tape runners and they are the easiest (for me) to use.

While a Xyron is not essential, if you plan to use ribbon the X-shaped model might be worthwhile.

The Tombow liguid glue (the green and white bottle) is really good and only a tiny bit is needed.

If you do lots of layers you may want to look into Scor-Tape or Miracle Tape.

I hope you enjoy your return to this awesome hobby!

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee

Last edited by TeeGeeDee; 02-20-2012 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: adding opinion on adhesives
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll chime in on a few things - it sounds like you are off to a good start with your thoughts on jumping back in!

Love the Tonic guillotine cutter - reasonably priced considering reliability, clean cuts, cutting multiple sheets, etc.

Scor-pal/Scor-buddy - I started with the Pal and got the Buddy a few months ago. Probably one day I'll need the Scor-Pal again to cut larger sheets for something, but since I got the Scor-buddy, it's all I've used.

Adhesive - I love the ATG so I can't help much on others ;) . The tape lasts and sticks better and I just don't find it cumbersome to use. If you find a smaller tape runner that really holds and has as good a value, I'd look at it, too - but for now it's ATG all the way!

Diecut- if you don't want electric (I have the Vagabond), then I recommend the Big Shot too. Or the Grand Calibur. A Muse has an exclusive GC machine that will cut true 8.5 x 11 sheets.

Cardstock: PTI is great for its weight and beautiful selection of colors. You may want to try Gina K as I hear hers is nice, too.

I used to use PTI exclusively until I switched to A Muse. The smooth surface, rich colors, and white flipside (for your card insides) with A Muse Studio cardstock won me over. Our patterned paper is cardstock weight as well. I thought the transition to a lighter weight would bother me but I really love it. You don't need to add an inner panel and the inside of the card is so much brighter with white - especially useful for the darker colors. If I put a lot on the front, I'll still add an inside panel though just to balance it - but I did that with SU and PTI cardstock too!

Ink: I use Memento and Distress Ink, and Versafine sometimes, but hands down the coolest ink out there for me is A Muse. It has a chalk-like consistency when stamped, kind of like Versamagic, that you'll really notice with silhouette stamps. I believe it's what makes it work so well with rubber and clear stamps. It is a combination of several ink formulas. Drying time will vary on the paper you use, but I've never had it smear - even though I can emboss it and sponge it. It's magic . The case tops are clear and they stack. I'd been search for an ink and was about to try Hero Arts when A Muse Studio came out with this product. LOVE it.

Stamps: *Sigh* My first love. SO many choices!!! A company that may be new to you is Waltzingmouse Stamps. Very unique designs, Excellent customer service from N. Ireland! with great shipping times... usually maybe a week. Be sure to check it out. A Muse has a nice variety of designs -- some from Amuse Artstamps (the original store), silhouette/solids, vintage, etc. Crafty Secrets if you like vintage, did go "digital" but they are now looking to license their designs to a stampmaker - I hope they maintain the incredible quality there! Hero Arts has added clear and cling mounted to their line and they have a large variety of designs too. I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding something you love in stamp companies !

Have fun getting started again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I think that 6 by 6 paper pads could very well be your best friend....small, awesome selection and since you're a cardmaker the "scale" of the designs is perfect for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me chime in here with a quick tip for coloured pearls and rhinestones. You could spend a fortune to have all kinds of colours....

but my demo gave me this tip and I have loved it. Buy one package each of varying sized rhinestones and pearls. SU has a nice assortment in their packs. Buy a 36 pack of colured permanent markers from wmart.

There is virtually every colour you need in there for under $30 and you colour the pearls or rhinestones you need right on the sheet and they stay coloured. Permanent.

I gave my DD all my odds and ends of colured gems to get started with, and Iam using my 2 packs of SU with my markers. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Inks: If you like Memento, I would go with a full size black and brown pad, then get the other colors in dew drops to save space. They won't fit in an ink caddy, but they're perfect in a shallow plastic drawer. The same company also makes VersaMagic, a great chalk ink, in dew drop size. A Muse Studio inks are very similar to VersaMagic, but they do take up a lot more space (in your home and in your budget).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an FYI- if you get the Tonic Guillotine trimmer, it comes with indentations for scoring. So with a bone folder or scoring tool (you can buy the score-pal tool separately) it's like having 2 tools in 1. It will save you money this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I wanted to chime in about the SU clear blocks & case. I recently decided to purchase a few clear mount stamp sets and then I also purchased all the clear blocks and the storage case. I've only used them a few times since, but I really like them. I've always been a wood mount gal, but I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised.

I have several pictures posted on my blog of the clear blocks & the storage case if you wanted to see them.

LaLatty's Stamp 'N Stuff: January 15, 2012
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to stamping!!! When I was on vacation for a week (in Vegas) I totally missed it, after unpacking, I went straight to the room n start creating cards!

I think everyone above made some really good suggestions. I started with Stampin' Up so maybe I am a bit bias and I think their products are great and everything just coordinate w/ each others! (cardstock, designer paper...etc)

The only thing I can think of to share is that SU is offering a great deal on Starter Kit ($125) and you get 4 ink pads, few stamp sets to start (your choice) and other basic and general items you need to start stamping! In addition, you also get a free pack of designer paper each month until the end of the year, which I think is a great deal, if you want to check it out!

Can't wait to see some of your creation!
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes