Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Stampscapes" Stamps...Is It Easy to Create Scenes?

Hello to all -

Can anyone help me? I have been kicking around the idea of buying some "Stampscapes" Stamps, not sure if it is fairly easy to create those beautiful scenes they show on their website. I see they have some tutuorials, most are not in depth on the "How To" , like the tutorials on splitcoast stampers. Any advice regarding "Stampscapes" Stamps is greatly appreciated.

Thank you advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #2  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernSpirit87View Post
Hello to all -

Can anyone help me? I have been kicking around the idea of buying some "Stampscapes" Stamps, not sure if it is fairly easy to create those beautiful scenes they show on their website. I see they have some tutuorials, most are not in depth on the "How To" , like the tutorials on splitcoast stampers. Any advice regarding "Stampscapes" Stamps is greatly appreciated.

Thank you advance.
What strikes me about these is that a lot of the pizazz comes from the backgrounds, more so than from the stamps themselves.

Did you see this article?

Here are some other sites you might want to check out;

http://stampmouses.blogspot.com/2007...stippling.html
http://murdocks.typepad.com/polished...n/stampscapes/
http://creativemomentswithsandy.blog...-tutorial.html
http://cardoftheweek.ning.com/video/...pscapes-part-1 (have to sign into PaperCraftPlanet for this one)
http://www.beeswaxrubberstamps.com/Marktutorial.htm
http://netnet.net/~cloud9/tutorials/tutorial_11.html

I think a lot of the tutorials by Michelle Zindorf would also be great to do with Stampscapes.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's an SCS'er that goes by "AnnasCreations" (I think) who has done some gorgeous scenes with these stamps. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to give you some feedback. I've been tempted after seeing her work, but haven't bitten yet!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the great thing about Stampscapes is the fact that you can get great results with little effort, or you can really go at it and get complex scenes built by utilizing masking.

The actual stamping, though, is only half of the equation. You can get the colored background in more ways than just the original "Stampscapes" way, i.e. the tonal applicator. If you have frustrations to pound out, that's the method for you, lol! It can be tiring and time consuming, though. There's also stipple brushes, which are much quicker, or sponges...quicker still. And then there's brayering color onto blank cardstock and then putting your stamps down on top of the color rather than the other way around.

Really the best way is to just start. If you can find a local class, that's really great. If not, just start working through the tuts there even if they seem too brief. A lot of what you'll be learning will come from the actual doing anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I took a class of these. I agree the background techniques are where the skill on these comes in. And you can work on that without the stamps. Cut down some backgrounds and play. Try different cardstocks, glossy, regular and what not.

I would say that they are easy to use, difficult to master. At least for me. Course I eventually just gave up.

OH and I totally agree the Zindorff techniques would ROCK with the Stampscapes stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I recommend checking out Sandy Hulsart's blog and gallery (shulsart on SCS). She is amazing!!

http://scenesbysandy.blogspot.com/

Worth a visit just for the beautiful scenery ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

I ADORE Stampscapes, for the exact reason MSBetsyZ mentioned...you do not have to be some great artist to get gorgeous scenes. I am by no means a great stamper or artist. You don't have to do fancy backgrounds, either. I took a class and some cards were done with a green ink (the stamp itself, not in black) to make a scene. We sponged a little around the edge and that was it, but it was a lovely card. I've also used the stamps on a photograph with Stazon (Case'ing someone else) here. I am not so great at using the tonal applicator, but I saw Kevin at a convention and he was using the stylus tool anyway (like a sponge). The key is starting with a VERY light color, and PATIENCE, if you want to do backgrounds like they do on the website.
So, I think if you like the images, GO FOR IT!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love Stampscapes and have most of them. They can be tricky to get the right depth of field but experimenting is what is fun. Like everyone said the background is the base of the technique. You don't have to use the tonal applicator. I hardly ever use mine. One of the big things is that you need to use glossy paper. I get those make up sponges that come in a big bag and pounce on the ink that way to get the background. Then I stamp my Stampscape images. They make great cards for men. Hope this helps. Niki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am another StampScape lover. THere are so many different scenes you can make from them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I love them! Have most of the large scene ones.....and I agree too, it is the background that sets them apart....

I want to try the baby wipe on glossy paper background, and the alcohol inks as well, to see what the difference in the background might be...I've used my brayer with the Kaleidoscope inks, and they turned out quite nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by thescpellsView Post
There's an SCS'er that goes by "AnnasCreations" (I think) who has done some gorgeous scenes with these stamps. Hopefully she'll see this and be able to give you some feedback. I've been tempted after seeing her work, but haven't bitten yet!

Julie
Oh my.... how sweet of you!

I love stampscapes! I don't do the typical stampscapes scenes though. I'm too lazy for all that masking and coloring! I love brayering (with my stampin spots) and sponging my backgrounds and then stamping on top. I don't do much of anything fancy with them, but the images really make the card. I would say... as a previous poster said, that depth of field is one of the trickiest things when making scenes. I prefer the simpler scenes though, using only one or two stamps. My favourite stamps are the oak branch, lakeside cabin, lakeside cove, a few basic pine trees, and some reeds or cattails. I'd be happy to help with more detail if you are interested to know more about any of my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Gosh Anna, I have just looked at your gallery. It is absolutely beautiful and so diverse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by French ChablisView Post
Gosh Anna, I have just looked at your gallery. It is absolutely beautiful and so diverse.
Thank you! Now I just need to figure out what my "style" is, I have no idea!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I have a question about which "scene" stamps to buy. There are sooo many options, and even different sizes of the same stamp. How do you know what to buy when you are just starting out?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

My cousin has a ton of their stamps and hundreds of other scene type stamps also, (these are just about the only kinds of cards she makes anymore).She makes the most amazing scene cards and has been helping to teach me how to do these kinds of cards. The depth part is tricky and having the correct size stamps so that your scenes look natural to scale is hard also. We have both been figuring out together how to brayer nice backgrounds like Michelle Z. does to go with these scene cards too. I agree with what Anna does and keep it simple with only a few stamps used for a scene when you are first starting out with these kinds of cards, easier to learn that way and much less time consuming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for all your advice ladies...all will be taken in consideration. I think I may buy a set or two and try. Anna I also like the lakeside cabin and cove. Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
I have a question about which "scene" stamps to buy. There are sooo many options, and even different sizes of the same stamp. How do you know what to buy when you are just starting out?
I guess it's a matter of what you like. I looked at the samples and got the stamps to make the type of scenes that appealed to me the most. Like, the water mill is cool but it didn't really jump out at me so I didn't get that one. On the other hand, I am a Hawaii fanatic so I got all the palm tree and beach ones (not the ones with the huts though). My first purchase was of a couple of sizes of trees because you can always use trees!
Does that help?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I think they can be as easy or tough as you make them. I also think shopping for them in a store setting first gives you a much better idea of how they work and what goes well together. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I recently bought the cabin on the lake and added the man in the fishing boat. Colored with Copics, it looks so professional. I always get tons of complements on them. I should see if I can find one to upload, not sure if I have them, as they go fast. The men really love them. I hope you try them, I think you'll like them. Best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the Stampscapes too and have been browsing those great links given above somewhere.

I even found somewhere in Australia who sells them...but no way am I buying them from there! The Oak Branch is $11.50US on the Stampscapes website, but here they want $31.50 AU for the same stamp! $11.50US = $17.58 AU...so it is almost twice as much!

Does anyone know a good vendor for these stamps? I think I would be better off paying the postage from the US, than buy just a couple from this place here in Australia. I am rather gobsmacked at the price to be honest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
It depends on which "style" of stampscapes you want to do. If you want to do the complicated scenes then the investment would be huge. If you are wanting to do some basic scenes (mostly what I do) then you can start off with a few easy ones like the lakeside cabin, lakeside cove, the pine and rocks coordinate with either of these stamps nicely, and you may want some foreground type stamps like the reeds, cattails, or twig types. Add a little interest to your water scenes with the canoe, or heron. If you sick with these "water" stamps it will make it easier to build scenes, then if you really enjoy them you can get into the land stamps. I find what you can do with reflections and water scenes is quite stunning and fairly easy. But it's all personal preference. I hope I helped a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2009, 08:59 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Maybe a bit off topic but what inks is best to use? I see everyone using the adriondack (spelling might be off) but could I use my Stampin Up dye inks? Or does anyone have a better suggestion

Please PM me as I haven't figured out how to come back to the messages again after I have posted.. they seem to get lost in SCS land..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I recommend checking out Sandy Hulsart's blog and gallery (shulsart on SCS). She is amazing!!

http://scenesbysandy.blogspot.com/

Worth a visit just for the beautiful scenery ;)
Oh Sweet Jesus...her work is AMAZING! (Yeah...I can't buy these stamps, I'd want it to look THIS good, and I know it wouldn't!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
What strikes me about these is that a lot of the pizazz comes from the backgrounds, more so than from the stamps themselves.

Did you see this article?

Here are some other sites you might want to check out;

http://stampmouses.blogspot.com/2007...stippling.html
http://murdocks.typepad.com/polished...n/stampscapes/
http://creativemomentswithsandy.blog...-tutorial.html
http://cardoftheweek.ning.com/video/...pscapes-part-1 (have to sign into PaperCraftPlanet for this one)
http://www.beeswaxrubberstamps.com/Marktutorial.htm
http://netnet.net/~cloud9/tutorials/tutorial_11.html

I think a lot of the tutorials by Michelle Zindorf would also be great to do with Stampscapes.
Wow! Thank you for all the great links! I've wondered how they got those fabulous scenes also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

i'm an avid stampscaper and have been using the line for many years and find them very easy to put a realistic type scene together. personally I would say to use glossy paper and marvy matchables ink. I mostly use the stylus tool for coloring in the backgrounds etc check out my gallery here under The Griz or view my gallery at
www.flickr.com/photos/thebighunk2003

feel free to email me if you have any questions on how I do my scenes

thanks,
Terry "The Griz"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

These are beautiful........ has anyone used Copics without the airbrush with stampscapes?? The thought of another collection of Inks is more than I want to deal with :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

there are a few in the stampscapes groups on yahoo and I see to recall karen wallace, and sandy hulsart using them and they have galleries on this site.
seems like I found them here by going to advanced search and typed in stampscapes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
Oh Sweet Jesus...her work is AMAZING! (Yeah...I can't buy these stamps, I'd want it to look THIS good, and I know it wouldn't!)
Goodness that is very high praise. Thank you so much. Stampscapes are really quite simple, I teach them here in Mid-Michigan. I have taught using the Colorbox Stylus tool, the brayer and stipple brushes as well as Stampscapes with Copics. I have some videos on You Tube that show me in action using the Colorbox tool part 1 and part 2 and Brayering
For more examples, check out my Scenic blog (see below), I use other companies in conjunction with my Stampscapes: Beeswax, Sutter, Coronado, Repeat Impressions, Gray Wolf. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. All of my students have commented that Stampscapes are quite easy, they just look difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I went to the Canberra Craft Show recently and have been trying out a new (to me) method with the old Stampscapes.....

Using the stylus tool with the oval tips in conjunction with Marvy Markers.

To create depth, the demo used MM on the mountains and everything else was stamped in India Ink .... I always used StazOn prior to this....but have to say II wins on the gloss.

The tonal applicator was used as well....and it makes a huge difference to the finished product. I guess it isn't totally necessary....but to me it was well worth the effort.

The other huge thing I discovered and now LOVE is micro glaze (Judikins product). It comes in a small jar...very pricey here in Australia at $25 a jar....I did mention it was little, right?....Anyway....a little on your finger when your masterpiece is done...rub it over the whole thing and buff off with a cloth....Does that stuff make the colours pop, or what....

I have my first practices up on my blog....just look under stampscapes to find them....previously I just brayered, sponged, chalked etc...but have decided I really really like this method.

I am in the process of doing up a note sheet if anyone is interested...before all that knowledge I gained swims off to a very deep part of my brain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Stampscapes are a lot easier than they look. I have given many classes on them and the ladies are amazed on how easy they were. We did a picture that was 11.5" x 36" that was just beautiful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

can we see what you did jbad?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 05:22 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

oh double goodie...A whole pile of tips arrived in the mail today, so I can play, play play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Default stampscapes

I'm new at this site, so I'll try tonight to download the picture to this site. I'd love to show it to everyone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Default stampscapes

As I remember correctly, the picture took about 56 stamps. Many of them were repeated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbad61View Post
Stampscapes are a lot easier than they look. I have given many classes on them and the ladies are amazed on how easy they were. We did a picture that was 11.5" x 36" that was just beautiful.
Where did you get paper that size and what kind of paper was it? I have done many full sheet scenes, 8.5 x 11 inches. Would love to make larger if I could find the paper. Each of these is a full sheet of paper, these are all done with Copic markers on Cryogen white paper. Sandy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am fairly new to Stampscapes stamps....but I love them! I think it's incredibly easy to make a scene with just a few stamps. I made THIS CARD with plain old SU! Whisper White paper and SU! inks. It's really a simple scene with just a brayered sky background. I've got to learn and play some more for the depth cards, but I like it and had so much fun making it. To me, it's really like playing.

I also would highly advise anyone to check out Sandy's You-Tube video classes....awesome stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Default Large Paper Stock

I used to be a commercial printer so I have contacts at paper suppliers. The paper is Kromkote 10 Point. It is a high gloss cover stock and it comes in 23 x 35" sheets. I have it cut in half the long way and Viola!! You can probably go to a printer in your area and have them order you some. I usually order 25 sheets so that will make 50 pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I used to be a commercial printer so I have contacts at paper suppliers. The paper is Kromkote 10 Point. It is a high gloss cover stock and it comes in 23 x 35" sheets. I have it cut in half the long way and Viola!! You can probably go to a printer in your area and have them order you some. I usually order 25 sheets so that will make 50 pictures.
How lucky for you although I HATE Kromekote paper. I like my ink to stay where I put it. I use glossy paper from The Paper Cut, which does come in 12 x 12 but that is the largest. Thanks for answering my question. I hope you will start a gallery and add some art for us to enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Default Stampscapes

I haven't downloaded any pictures to this site yet, so I hope I don't have any problems. I'll give it a shot tonight!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks ...that will be great!

Quote:

I haven't downloaded any pictures to this site yet, so I hope I don't have any problems. I'll give it a shot tonight!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, thanks for all that fantastic information. Like Shell I'm just discovering Stampscapes. Now to find a decently priced retailer.
Reply With Quote Likes