Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts
Question Stamping on walls...

How do you apply the paint to the rubber or acrylic? In the past I have used the black spongy like things on wooden sticks (for lack of knowing what they are really called, LOL!). Do you have a better way?

What techniques have you used and had success with to prevent gloppy, unclear images on the wall? T

IA!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DD_Bold_butterfly_wall_by_Dragonbutterfly by Dragonbutterfly at Splitcoaststampers

I just used a NEW kitchen sponge lightly dipped into the paint.

My little gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

They're called sponge brushes... I've never done it myself but I have two friends who have and they both applied the paint with a sponge brush.

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."
� Marian Wright Edelman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to watch a lady on Carol Duval's show do stamping on fabric with acrylic paint and I think her technique would work well for you.

You will need some cosmetic sponges - the white triangular shaped ones that are thin at one end and wide at the other. You will also need some disposable plastic plates and your paint.

Squirt some paint onto the plate and take the sponge by the wide end and dip the skinny end of the sponge (flat side down) into the paint - just a dab will do!. Then take your stamp, rubber side up, and gently dab, dab, dab the paint on the surface of the rubber - you will easily be able to see the paint because it will look wet. Then stamp the image on the wall. Daub the stamp on a paper towel and reapply ink.

Hope this makes sense - the lady made it look really easy! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm going to have to try that stamping on fabric technique. I'm afraid to try on walls. If I messed up I'd have to repaint the whole wall again and I know I'd mess up. I think the cosmetic sponge things would work well since they are so firm.
Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 12:28 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

If it doesn't work, just wipe the paint off while it's wet. Should turn out just fine. I bought some Making Memories foam stamps today and want to do some wall stamping of my own in DD#2's room. I'll let you know how it goes next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkwilterView Post
I'm going to have to try that stamping on fabric technique. I'm afraid to try on walls. If I messed up I'd have to repaint the whole wall again and I know I'd mess up. I think the cosmetic sponge things would work well since they are so firm.
Suzanne
I keep a washcloth nearby and if there is a mess-up, I swipe it away right away!!! I use the paints that come in the little bottles found in the craft section! There are tons of colors!!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Ooops, ditto on what Carol said, LOL!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
I used to watch a lady on Carol Duval's show do stamping on fabric with acrylic paint and I think her technique would work well for you.

You will need some cosmetic sponges - the white triangular shaped ones that are thin at one end and wide at the other. You will also need some disposable plastic plates and your paint.

Squirt some paint onto the plate and take the sponge by the wide end and dip the skinny end of the sponge (flat side down) into the paint - just a dab will do!. Then take your stamp, rubber side up, and gently dab, dab, dab the paint on the surface of the rubber - you will easily be able to see the paint because it will look wet. Then stamp the image on the wall. Daub the stamp on a paper towel and reapply ink.

Hope this makes sense - the lady made it look really easy! ;)
Makes wonderful sense! I think those cosmetic sponges would be less porous then the ones I'm using now and would more evenly coat that thicker areas of an image! Thanks!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Here is another suggestion.

I use the little bottles of acrylic paint and stamp all my images on clear contact paper. Let them dry and cut them out, they do not have to be exact. Peel the paper backing off and stick them on the wall. You can place them exactly where you want them, only use the images that come out perfect and when you are tired of the look, simply peel them off and stick up some new ones.

There is no repainting of any walls and with trends changing as fast as they do, it is sooooooo easy to change the look of any room in minutes.

HTH:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Nice tip Barb! TFS!!

"We must not, in trying to think about how we can make a big difference, ignore the small daily differences we can make which, over time, add up to big differences that we often cannot foresee."
� Marian Wright Edelman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dollyView Post

I use the little bottles of acrylic paint and stamp all my images on clear contact paper. Let them dry and cut them out, they do not have to be exact. Peel the paper backing off and stick them on the wall. You can place them exactly where you want them, only use the images that come out perfect and when you are tired of the look, simply peel them off and stick up some new ones.

There is no repainting of any walls and with trends changing as fast as they do, it is sooooooo easy to change the look of any room in minutes.

That is SOOOO not a stupid idea!!!! Great thinking girlfriend!!!! I wish my kids didn't peel everything off of the walls, I would try that. I will keep it in mind to pass along to others though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv my dollyView Post

That would be such a great technique to team up with a kids room play area where you have tic tac toe (use velcro on the contact paper stamps) or other games. I know my son loves the tractor stamps- how cool of a mom would I be if I made him a little tractor area on his wall!
Reply With Quote Likes