Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Stamping supplies resale legality

I have purchased any number of items from "garage sale" events where crafters unload items they no longer use. Now, after looking at Angel policies of several companies, I am under the impression that many do not allow their products to be re-sold. Is this just something we ignore or is it an actual legal issue? It seems that re-sale of everything from lawn mowers to jewelry to craft supplies is just a normal thing, but is it not allowed?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
KtWrkmn (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

well, I don't actually sell my old stamps but, I have given them to the goodwill and they do. so? I am not that worried about it. I think they are more worried about you using the art work and selling that.

like if you made say mouse pads for home offices and used some designers art and then had a zillion of them printed, that is a legal no no type thought in my head.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Sent you a PM.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 03-29-2022 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2022, 01:09 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

I am going to address both posts in one.

First of all, Congrats! Very cool that you have been invited that way! Yay! Always nice for people to like your work! I popped into your gallery and your cards are lovely!

Not a short answer. Sorry.

I am no lawyer but I think what they are really saying is don't buy 20 of them and resell them.
I mean really...people have been selling craft materials on Ebay for many years and other places.
I have bought a lot on ebay myself and I have bought/sold some here.

Don't stamp them and sell those images.
They don't want you xeroxing the images and selling them. Or digitizing them and selling them.
They don't want you mass producing-what that means I don't know. 500? 1000? I can't imagine making 1000 of the same card anyway LOL so I don't worry about that.

Generally they seem to be fine with you making a card from scratch with their products and selling it. Esp at small local events like church or school sales or craft fairs.

What they are really concerned about IMHO is that they have hired artists to design this stuff and they want that respected. They don't want it ripped off and copied...we do have a problem with some overseas companies who will steal designs and make the stamp/die/EF/stencil for a lot cheaper. I think we all get that and respect that.

Angel policies can be confusing. For a long time I was printing out angel policies for companies. I stopped. Why? Because they change. And who is going to prove that I printed it out on the same day I bought the thing-which in court to me is when I entered into the "user agreement"? I am not keeping that kind of buying record.

If you are looking to sell what you make, I would go with buying product from companies with what I call a wide open angel-they tell you up front "Hey! Wanna sell what you make? That's fine with us." They might ask you to mention them if you are posting it but don't demand it.

Some angels are "conditional"--you can make X number of cards to sell with that stamp. Or they demand you put their copyright on it. Or whatever else. One time I saw a company that said don't use any other brands with theirs (since changed).

Some are flat out "no"s-- they don't want you to do it at all. I was just looking at one I knew of-and they changed it! You can use them now. See what I mean? I am actually excited about that-I like their work and I have not been buying it for that reason.

Re: other product :ie stencils, EFs....I would treat them the same as a stamp because it is arguable that there is a "design" in play.

I would personally NOT worry about embellishments-sequins, drops, etc...including DP. Even though one could technically argue DP is designed I don't see the companies caring. Painters don't tell you what brand paint they used or canvas or tools.

Unless they are Disney. I hear Disney is very protective about their licensed products but I have no personal experience. Of course Mickey and friends are highly recognizable.

Now...this is a topic of debate. Some people feel stamps are like hammers and a tool and you should be able to use them however you want.

Some say this policy should be very clearly stated on the product packaging as well as a big online banner directing you to their angels...because many people have never even heard of angel policies.

I think your venue matters. If you are doing a few local shows....I don't think they care. If you are selling thousands online...then they might.

Bottom line: If you are worried about it, call them and ask. They invite you to. Hopefully you are not talking about dozens of companies.

Again...all just my opinion. I have only sold a few cards so far in my building fair sale. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
pepperann (03-30-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #5  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I think that selling the STAMP is fine.
The Angel policies are generally for the images, not the wood/rubber/photopolymer item.
I have only ever seen one company that had a reselling policy and that IMO the jist of that is don't price gouge on limited QTY items.
(other than Stampin' up's restriction on demonstrators reselling until retired but that is a different story I think and not for the general public)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2022, 09:20 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Thank you all! I think, if I should do this, that the "audience" will be so small that I should be able to sell my small collection of cards without worry.

I did read some company policies that stated that you could not re-sell their physical products, ie, stamps, EFs, etc. I think that is silly and completely unenforceable. I tend to believe that if you purchase something, it is yours to use and dispose of as you wish. Now if I could only persuade myself to actually thin my collection....
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by CardCountess:
Paula in GA (04-01-2022), Scrapjanny (04-01-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Karen,
People sell stuff here all the time on the buy/sell board....take a look at it. Right now it is lot of SU but you can sell any company. I have.
Reply With Quote Likes