Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stamping with paint. Do you?

I tried this for the first time today. It was not a success. Which wasn't the problem, I know I shouldn't have used a fluid acrylic, I should have used regular body. I think.

But then I got panicky, cleaning the stamp off. Naturally I had to pick a BG stamp to for this maiden voyage, I couldn't pick something small. Duh, no. I was so nervous that the paint wouldn't all come off the stamp. I used a baby wipe, I sprayed water on it. It looks fine. But now I wonder whether to try again.

Do you ever stamp with paint? What's your procedure?

Robin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first started stamping, I tried using acrylic paint. I didn't like the results, which were very splotchy and uneven. I think folks who like the "shabby chic" look do it. And lots of people who do art journals seem to like that look.

I wasn't worried about my stamps and the paint. Acrylic paint is easy to clean off, I think. I wouldn't let it dry on the stamps though.

I'm pretty boring with my stamping. I don't try many techniques - I just use stamps, ink and paper, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

No, you're not boring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I've stamped with various acrylic paints, including Liquid Pearls (as well as watercolours) - I just make sure to take the stamp downstairs and wash it straight away, and use a soft toothbrush, cold water and liquid soap. None of them have ever come to any harm. Do try again! I especially love the textured look of stamping with Liquid Pearls, and it acts as a great resist for then sponging or stencilling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
No, you're not boring!
Thanks, Rachel. I have a lot of fun making cards and other things. But I haven't had a desire to "expand my horizons" and use alcohol inks, gelatos and stuff like that. I usually use patterned paper or embossing folders, and seldom stamp with background stamps.

That's the beauty of this hobby - you can do whatever you want!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I use paint in making my cards... I love dry-brushing paint on backgrounds or using paint to tone down patterned paper... but paint touching my stamps? NEVAH!

Acrylic paint is essentially colored glue...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I tried this for the first time today. It was not a success. Which wasn't the problem, I know I shouldn't have used a fluid acrylic, I should have used regular body. I think.

But then I got panicky, cleaning the stamp off. Naturally I had to pick a BG stamp to for this maiden voyage, I couldn't pick something small. Duh, no. I was so nervous that the paint wouldn't all come off the stamp. I used a baby wipe, I sprayed water on it. It looks fine. But now I wonder whether to try again.

Do you ever stamp with paint? What's your procedure?
Yes. It was very splotchy :-) but I have had good luck with Distress Inks (a splotchy look I can live with) and watercolors and Gelatos. This was after following Kristina Werner's recommendation to scribble the color onto the stamp and then take a wet paint brush to the stamp to move the color around a bit, rather than trying to dip the stamp into the medium.

I'm going to try painting IZINKS on some stamps next – maybe try painting the fluid acrylic paint on the stamp?

When I'm done, I spritz the whole face of the stamp with water to get the medium nice and wet then scrub with a toothbrush or baby wipes and then use my scrubby pad. Some paint sinks beneath the raised area of the stamp and can be hard to remove, but it doesn't affect future stamping as long as you get the raised areas clean. I'm just not a super neat freak though: I'd rather have fun with my stamps than clean them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I watched a Paper Artsy video over the weekend and Leandra was stamping away with paint like there was no tomorrow. I watched her stamp some very detailed stamps and they stamped perfectly.

It was actually quite an interesting video. She was making a "master board" which is a simply a piece of card stock or deli wrap (they call it tissue stock but it looks like deli wrap to me) that is painted and stamped in a random pattern in order to be cut up and used on cards (or other things). Well, they are very into paint at Paper Artsy, they have their own line of matt finish "chalk" acrylics, which I must say come in the most gorgeous colors and the matt finish is very beautiful.

So I wanted to try it. I am going to try again, with a stamp I am not so attached to. Just to prove I can do it if I want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm pretty boring with my stamping. I don't try many techniques - I just use stamps, ink and paper, lol.
Yeah, me too. And even with stamp, ink, paper I don't do a lot of techniques unless it's for a challenge.

Quote:

I have a lot of fun making cards and other things. But I haven't had a desire to "expand my horizons" and use alcohol inks, gelatos and stuff like that.
Now here is where we differ. I do have a desire to experiment with different mediums. I'm not very good at using them. I love making a marbling technique with alcohol inks on glossy cardstock. Not sure what else I can do with them. I'll have to investigate. So far, gelatos have been a big fail for me. (Looks like Crayon that I've tried to erase.) But I'm determined to get something pretty out of them! Haven't tried acrylic paint on a stamp but I do hope to start using acrylic paints in some sort of art journal.

Quote:

That's the beauty of this hobby - you can do whatever you want!
Big AMEN! It's taken me awhile to learn that I can do whatever I want with my supplies and while it might not be "right" it is never "wrong!"

As for putting acrylic paint on a stamp, it might work best if you used a brayer. I have not done this but I would imagine the brayer would give it a thin coat of paint just on top of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

That's how I did it (brayer) and it dried too fast. But, again, maybe it was that the paint was too thin bodied. Almost all of my acrylics are Golden Fluids.

In the video, Leandra rolled her paint out on a piece of a craft sheet (basically using it as a palette) and stick her stamp into it on a block. Or just stuck her stamp into it if she didn't want to stamp the whole thing, but kind of bend the stamp and get bits and pieces of it stamped. But there was a gorgeous script stamp and she stamped that in white all over one of the boards and it came out great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #11  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Robin, that "master board" sounds a little like the Serendipity technique - interesting.

Melissa, one of my favourite things with gelatos is using a baby-wipe to soften the scribbled look and blend them together a bit - give it a try!
Alcohol inks - there's a great way of making plaid with them, TH demoed it on maybe his second or third year of Christmas tags. If you want a link I'll find it, I have cards in my gallery that link back to it. And, since I don't have Copics, I've used drips of alcohol ink to recreate this technique without markers: Alcohol Marker Marbling Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers - it's fabulous!!
And though it's a while since I've done it, if you stamp an image with StazOn on acetate, you can get a lovely translucent effect by dabbing alcohol inks onto the back of the acetate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Sabrina, I couldn't wait to see the plaid using alcohol inks, so I went digging and found it:

12 Tags of Christmas?{day 3} | Tim Holtz

I have several colors of TH alcohol ink, but I can't wait to try this with my Copic reinkers. Thanks for sharing the info.

If anyone has old issues of the Take Ten magazine, there were masterboards demonstrated. I'm not sure if this is still being done because I haven't bought an issue in several years. Thanks for the reminder, Robin. I'm off to watch that video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 11:21 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Here's link to the one I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KaciWl6rI
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Here's link to the one I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KaciWl6rI

By the way, I ordered one package of the tissue stock she mentions off Amazon just to see what it was, but I am almost certain that it is going to be pretty much the same exact thing as the huge box of 12X12 Quick-Rap deli paper I bought for very little a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

This crow is really dry and needs salt... (see post #6 IF you must).

Robin, Robin, Robin... you're a very bad girl! I am coveting that paint... however, seeing as how I have several bottles of Delta Ceramcoat, I'm probably off to the hardware store for plaster of paris to make beautiful messes and chalk paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint is great with the foam stamps...I have many boxes of the acrylic paints but got rid of all my foam stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Paint is great with the foam stamps...I have many boxes of the acrylic paints but got rid of all my foam stamps.
Amber, you need to watch the video Robin has linked. Detailed stamps can be easily used - the finished piece is perfection! No need to use those horrid foam stamps - I got rid of mine also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default I will look at the videos!

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Amber, you need to watch the video Robin has linked. Detailed stamps can be easily used - the finished piece is perfection! No need to use those horrid foam stamps - I got rid of mine also!
I love using acrylic paint!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

While acrylic paints might not be recommended for stamping by the stamp manufacturers ... countless stampers & paper crafters use acrylic paints daily! (Just search our SCS galleries using paint as your keyword for a beginning look.) ;)

One of the best tips when you do this is to wash off the paint from your stamp right away. Once paint begins to dry, it is much more difficult to clean off the stamp, so at the very least, set the stamp on a mushy-wet paper towel with the inked surface down until you can get the stamp to your scrubber or to running water. Just as with dried pigment inks ... a soft toothbrush may be used as a scrubber with water & mild stamp cleaner if the paint resists just rubbing.

Give in to those creative urges to "check it out"! Icky no-likey's can always be tossed into the circular file basket & no one even needs to know. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I watched a Paper Artsy video over the weekend and Leandra was stamping away with paint like there was no tomorrow. I watched her stamp some very detailed stamps and they stamped perfectly.
That is such a cool video � thank you for posting it! As is always the way, she makes it look easy, and doesn't really explain the finer details, but I noticed a couple of things:

That paint has the body of a regular craft acrylic, so it's semi-thick, but she brayers it out until it's extremely thin on her craft mat, like you would if you were doing letterpress. Then she taps the stamp into it. That's key! And when she stamps with that scribble circle stamp, the first impression is a bit blurry. As the paint dries and gets thinner on the mat, more of the details show up on the stamp.

I'm going to try one of these backgrounds on deli paper! Please report back when you get that paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 08:24 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Another way to get acrylic onto a stamp so it's not splotchy - or "as" splotchy is to use a dry 1/2" or smaller flat brush, and a fairly heavy body acrylic paint - think Dina Wakely, whose paints are pretty luscious, imo. Don't load the brush completely, and gently brush it across your stamp with a light touch. Use a baby wipe to get the outside edges where you started brushing on. Then stamp. Takes a bit of practice, but it works.

Another very easy way is to use a makeup sponge or a foam dauber like the TH ones - the finger ones are sort of a pain and don't work very well - and use that to pick up some paint, dab some off, then put some on the stamp. It can work fairly well even with the Golden fluids - as long as the sponge is fairly dry when you are ready to apply it to the stamp. Hope these help.

Joni

Last edited by joniworx; 12-30-2015 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: added another suggestion :)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all these tips, ladies!

I actually have some retarder - duh.

Updating on the Tissue Stock - I received it and it is pretty much the same in terms of thickness and feels the same as the Quik-Rap I have. The only difference is that it doesn't have that bit of mottling in the color like deli wrap usually has to some degree (although Quik-Rap has the least of the brands I have tried). It looks more even, like tissue paper.

I haven't worked with it yet. I'm sure it will be lovely, but at the price they charge for 20 sheets, I'm thinking that the Quik-Rap is going to be my go-to. I don't want to have to feel each piece is so precious. My current paper luxury upgrade is the watercolor paper I use, and I use a lot of it so I don't want to add another pricey consumable.

(Unless of course the Tissue Stock is SO different…)

In any case it's made by Canvas, and you can get in online through Amazon.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-31-2015 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 05:05 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

I'll also update on the paint when I get it. Yes, even though I already own PLENTY of acrylic paint, I was very curious about the matt finish on this, so I bought a set of four bottles to try out. It was that or obsess about it. Sometimes it's better to just satisfy your curiosity and know whether what you are obsessing about is worth it. Usually I find it isn't, but we will see...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I get the best results stamping with paint if the stamp is not too detailed and I spread the paint on my Gelli plate, stamp the plate, then stamp on paper. I guess the idea is similar to spreading the paint on the craft mat first then stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone had luck stamping with Twinkling H2O's? Is there any trick with getting that to stamp well when taking the time to paint more than one color on a stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 PM   #26  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie718View Post
Has anyone had luck stamping with Twinkling H2O's? Is there any trick with getting that to stamp well when taking the time to paint more than one color on a stamp?
I just can't think of her SCS user name, the person who owns Pez-a-doodle, she does fabulous work stamping with H2Os. I thick that the big secret is getting the consistency just write. I'll use free Wi-Fi on the way to work to see if I can find her gallery here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #27  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Here it is:Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - - Handmade Cards & Crafts of her cards are Twinkling H2O backgrounds, but I know she also stamps with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Twinkling H2O's

Thanks, Cook22, for trying to send that link. The link doesn't work for me; I am wondering if you have the member user's name so I could check out her gallery? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 06:07 AM   #29  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Splitcoaststampers Member Galleries - cerridwen3301 - Handmade Cards & CraftsI don't know why some of my links this week are being problematic. This looks as if it should be right... and in case something goes wrong with it again, her user name is cerridwen3301.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Cook22 - thank you for the link to cerridwen3301's gallery. It is awesome and gives me inspiration to play with my collection of Twinkling H20s! This thread overall has also enabled me as I now have a few things sitting in my Amazon cart...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cook22, thank you! I will check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I have used a fairly thin sponge for an "ink" pad for acrylic paint to stamp with. The sponge should be damp and then spread your paint over it. It will sink in a bit, ready for your stamping pleasure! I also use the Gelli plate as mentioned by Buried Treasure. That's probably my favorite way to do it. You get cool stamped images and the bonus of a cool Gelli print by removing the paint with your stamp. Win-win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Robin, did you get your paint, and if so, have you been able to try it out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

I got it Friday, Linda, but haven't had time to play yet. I want to spend some time experimenting with it this week. I'll post when I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the information and links. I've just got to try this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 02:28 AM   #36  

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I have been totally into using Brusho which are a pigment paint, to stamp with. I water it down just a touch and paint it onto my stamps.
Here are a few of the card I made by using this technique:

IC531, Elegance by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

WT568, Life's Moments by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I love using the paint...you get a different effect and look. You can pull the color into the image after as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
I have been totally into using Brusho which are a pigment paint, to stamp with. I water it down just a touch and paint it onto my stamps.
Here are a few of the card I made by using this technique:

IC531, Elegance by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

WT568, Life's Moments by k dunbrook - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I love using the paint...you get a different effect and look. You can pull the color into the image after as well.
Your cards are amazing!!! I didn't know Brushos were pigment paints. I thought they were watercolor powders. I really have to try this!
Reply With Quote Likes