Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 807 Likes on 329 Posts
Question Stamping on an oil painting canvas?

I have a small oil canvas frame that I want to stamp and paint on. I want to use some script stamps... you know lines of cursive writing. But canvas is so porous, the detail in the words wouldn't show up I don't think.

I searched the forums and looked at the tutorials in the resource section but couldn't find anything. I also Googled and found image transfer when using digital images, not rubber stamps.

I've seen this on a blog, but there were no directions:(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have stamped on tissue paper and then used mod podge to glue to a gesso'd canvas. Hth!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Laura's solution sounds like a good one. Alternatively you could try a coat or two of gesso on the canvas as a primer. After all, most artists will prime canvas before starting to paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

My DH is an oil painter. I am always digging in his canvases. Most canvases nowadays are Gessoed already. I still don't think they take watercolor inks very well. Our ink pads are watercolors. I always use my own Gesso recipe I make or use white acrylic paint. The cheap kind you can get for $1.00 in the decor painting section.

llevans tip about the tissue paper works really great too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #5  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use SU craft ink to stamp on canvas. It takes a while to dry, or use a heat gun.
If it is a wood frame stretched canvas it is difficult to get it on the whole canvas due to the uneven nature. If it is chipboard backed you should get a better coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Did you try Palette inks? I recently stamped on some canvas fabric and you can see the details fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd use Gesso to prime it also.

The thing I don't care for with a traditional stretched canvas is that it's soft -- it has some 'give' to it. I'd rather use the Ampersand panels: Ampersand Art Supply You can buy these at Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick, etc.

I did a piece on a plain inexpensive piece of wood from Joann's recently, too. It was covered with Gesso that I had sort of textured - I was going to use it for something else originally. It was really an experiment - I had no idea if it would turn out or not. But it took inks well and stamped fine.

I couldn't find a photo to attach but here's a post of it that includes some of the materials I used on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

I use pre-primed canvases and stamp with acrylic paint and/or pigment ink pads, depending on the desired effect.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #9  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
I'd use Gesso to prime it also.

The thing I don't care for with a traditional stretched canvas is that it's soft -- it has some 'give' to it. I'd rather use the Ampersand panels: Ampersand Art Supply You can buy these at Hobby Lobby, Dick Blick, etc.
Thanks, that sounds like just the thing!! I saw this blog entry and loved it! However she doesn't give any information on how she did it. Link to canvas project

I was thinking of the metallic inks or paints that I have would be good for the background. I've got a huge dragonfly stamp that I've never used because it is so big.

I've got tons of pigment ink and a black Stays on that might work for the stamp image.

Last edited by sc magnolia; 02-24-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use canvas to make collage pictures and water based products work fine for me. When I want to stamp directly on the canvas I put a paperback book underneath to support the canvas so I get a good image. Water based mediums do soak into the canvas because I use a lot to get a rich deep color. The great thing about using canvas and water based mediums is that if you don't like what is going on you can tently wash the canvas and start over. Not all the color will wash out but it's enough so you can start over.

When I get a color blend I like I heat set so that the next color does not blend into the heatset colors.

Here

here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 AM   #11  

I embossed a canvas bag once. Stamped Versamark, sprinked it with embossing powder, dusted off the surrounding area with a soft brush and heat embossed. It has a matt finish and looks stamped but darker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #12  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in Australia, but it says there's an international website. Here, we have a brand of canvas and artist products called Mont Marte (which are made in China), and are quite inexpensive. I use their product called "Canvas Panel" which appears to be canvas stretched tightly over heavy cardboard. The package says it's 'Acrylic Titanium Primed' & 'suitable for all oil or acrylic painting'.

I stamp directly on them using Clearsnap Chalk Inks. The ones I did years ago still look great, and the ink dries pretty much immediately. On some, I used a blender pen filled with water and 'painted' on areas using either the chalk ink or marker pens.

I'm not sure if this compares to the canvas you wish to use, but I hope the info might inspire someone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #13  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did use a background stamp of script, which worked fine, although it wasn't the kind of script you'd need to read clearly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I use canvas to make collage pictures and water based products work fine for me. When I want to stamp directly on the canvas I put a paperback book underneath to support the canvas so I get a good image. Water based mediums do soak into the canvas because I use a lot to get a rich deep color. The great thing about using canvas and water based mediums is that if you don't like what is going on you can tently wash the canvas and start over. Not all the color will wash out but it's enough so you can start over.

When I get a color blend I like I heat set so that the next color does not blend into the heatset colors.

Here

here
Thanks for sharing the links and the info - your work is lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Thanks, that sounds like just the thing!! I saw this blog entry and loved it! However she doesn't give any information on how she did it. Link to canvas project

I was thinking of the metallic inks or paints that I have would be good for the background. I've got a huge dragonfly stamp that I've never used because it is so big.

I've got tons of pigment ink and a black Stays on that might work for the stamp image.
Very pretty project you've linked to!

And thanks for asking the question - the replies are really interesting and inspiring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

Here

here
How pretty!!! Water based - I hadn't even thought of that. That could make a very ethereal effect hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes