Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #121  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 455 Likes on 306 Posts

Hmmm...is hoarding a BAD thing? LOL Darn it, I come by it honestly...I come from a LOOOONG line of hoarders! ;-)

I've been so proud of myself this year...I actually went through and got RID of some things! *gasp*

Course...that could be because I acquired some of my late SIL's scrapbooking and Jewelry making things...and had to find room in our to small house. (Note...it's to small cause we have to much junk! LOL) I try to keep my home neat...and organized...but that's not to say we don't still have to much stuffed into all the little nooks and crannies...and that's probably not going to change anytime soon.

Good to know that about the metal stencils! I haven't acquired any of them yet...although have looked at them. LOL

Oh and you aren't alone ... I LOVE stuff too! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #122  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I love this topic! Since most of my supplies are what should I call them...recycled...2nd hand...used...I have a lot of stuff that's probably been around for some time. But to me, it's all new! I don't have a clue what's trendy or not. I just make cards by looking at the galleries and pinterest and use whatever I have on hand.

But you know, even buying things that way it's easy to addicted and I have. The first place I go to at the thrift stores is the craft area. I bring home my stash and already have to decide where I'm going to put it because I'm running out of space. Now the wicker baskets and the plastic storage boxes and the wooden VHS tape holders are very plentiful and cheap so you know, I have to get some of those to hold my "finds". HAHA, it's so fun!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #123  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat in Ohio - I hope I get to view and bid on your listings for your stuff. !! It sounds like good stuff to me .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #124  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Deb... like minds.... on top of everything.... I just got two more Doxies... a brother and sister pair... I even drove 8 hours to pick them up... They were in a Bull Dog Rescue and no one wanted the pair, only 1 of them.... so a friend posted their picture to my Facebook page and I fell in Love.... now there are four running around the home.... My Longhair goes with me to my Hospice Clients... Everyone is getting along great... After being with the two new ones for a few weeks now... there is no way you could separate them... they are so attached to each other.... they both would of been heartsick..... OK... back to crafting....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #125  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

dapperdoxie- Decorative scissors are making a comeback. I love mine. I just bought some cute chipboard embellishments a few hours ago. Planner girls are putting them in our journals and planners.

Your right mixed media is all about dragging out all our old things and making them new again.

I buy what I like, even if it's old. My adage is that it has to make me smile if I am using it. Chevron does not make me smile but owls and cupcakes do. Your going to be over here long enough I will tell you that owls and cupcakes are evil, lol. I know some of the girls are laughing.

Mulberry paper is very pretty in real life. My Mom was hitting me up for more Mulberry paper a couple of years ago. I was like "Do I look like a mulberry supplier?" She discovered how to paper piece from coloring books. She is so into that now. That trend was in the 90's. She keeps asking me for coloring books. I love paper piecing too. My Mom has fallen in love with punches. She use to scoff at them. The first time she used a bone folder she was in love. She has always used a butter knife. My Mom doesn't follow trends. She's into crafting for fun. She makes beautiful cards. Nothing is a crafting graveyard to her. She thinks my cards are magic.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #126  
Pearl-ExPert

Ahhh...LOVE my doxie's!! So glad you could get the pair and keep them together! It would be bad enough they lost their old mom/dad but to have lost each other too would have been heart breaking! :(

Thanks for the thrift shop idea...I don't get to go to them to often, but will have to think about doing that one of these days when I have a little spending money! My Mom had mentioned wanting to a couple weeks ago...so now I have a good reason to go to when I take her!!! ;-))

As for decorative scissors...shhh...don't tell, but I have some. They don't all work wonderfully, but I usually can make them work well enough! ;-)) I think they are the first tool I had...cause I've had some for a few years, way before I considered starting paper crafting. One set I use to cut along the edges of my homemade soap labels...so yep, have them and use them. LOL

It's great that you Mom LOVES your cards...as well as joins you in your hobby! :-)) My Mom loves to sew...which I can't stand, so we can't really get together on our hobbies. LOL Love her dearly though! :-))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2015, 05:05 AM   #127  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I love it that we are talking about decorative edge scissors. They are the reason I started on paper crafting in the first place. I saw some and had to find a reason to buy them and use them. My collection of about 30 is down to about 10 that I use and love and will never part with. I also have decorative edge trimmers for borders on full sheets but the scissors are just so perfect for adding an edge to a tag or punch. If anyone is looking to get rid of their neglected scissors, donate them to a preschool or after school programs. Kids love em!
Mary Beth

Last edited by lutheran; 04-11-2015 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: wonky spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

cleaning out stuff at my step-dads and came across cards i made back in the 90's. definitely a lot of things on the original list in those early cards. fun to see the ones that have come back again - buttons, metal embellishments, embossing powders, foils you run through printer, etc. to name just a few.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't used it in years, but I just lent my crop o dile (I think that's what it's called!) to a friend so she could punch holes in a soup can for a school project.

I still have most of the stuff the OP mentioned. Hardly ever use it, but am reluctant to give it up. The lesson for me is to not buy too much of the trendy stuff. I have THOUSANDS of brads and eyelets!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #130  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrummergirlredView Post
... I made a dark envelope and used the stickers to spell out the nephew's name serial killer style ...
OMG love it! I often refer to the collage-y style as "ransom notes" ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #131  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cerridwen3301View Post
LOL Just read through the more recent comments on this thread (I have read it since it started) and wasn't going to comment and the next thread I went to was about stitched dies starting to get old and I didn't even know what they were talking about :P I looked them up, cute I guess. but yea, I am clearly out of the loop and I am ok with that. I lost my craft budget nearly completely a few years ago so I have had to make due. One thing I have noticed a lot of recently tho - sequins on cards. I don't like them - looks unfinished to me. love sequins and beads on felted Christmas things but not cards. To each her own right?! But I suppose if you are trying to build a following you have to stay on trend.
Guess the stitched dies are officially outdated now. I just ordered my first set over the weekend. LoL
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2015, 06:30 PM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Guess the stitched dies are officially outdated now. I just ordered my first set over the weekend. LoL
Dea
Oh No!! They can't be!! I haven't been able to get any yet...and I want some! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #133  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Dea
I don't even know what they are!!!! :~)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #134  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
If you have the SU Top Note die, you have the original stitching die! There are lots of wafer-thin options now from many different vendors. I got the Lawn Fawn rectangles this winter and really love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #135  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapperdoxieView Post
Oh No!! They can't be!! I haven't been able to get any yet...and I want some! LOL
Same here!!! I desperately want them, but I don't even have nesting rectangles or squares yet, and those take precedence... for the very reason that the stitched ones will be outdated at some point, lol. I think they still are popular, not enough people have them yet. I guess we'll see!

I really am loving this thread, I read it from start to finish. I only got back into paper crafting in the last year, so I seem to have missed out on a lot of the graveyard supplies, but that would explain why I see them on Craigslist!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #136  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottitudeView Post
Same here!!! I desperately want them, but I don't even have nesting rectangles or squares yet, and those take precedence...
Yeah, that's why I don't have them yet...just started making cards in February, and I have so many other more necessary things to buy yet...there are so many "basics" I still need, I can't really think about buying the fun not so necessary things yet. Maybe one day...course by then I'll probably have to find them 2nd hand, cause they will be discontinued...but that's ok, 2nd hand works too! ;-))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #137  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Not to be an enabler or anything, but .... Lol.
Check out MFT
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #138  
Compulsive Stamper

I haven't used it on cards but I've used it on ATCs: Tim Holtz distress crackle paint. I love the paints that I have and wish I had more, but sadly a few dried up before I ever opened them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #139  
Rubber Obsessor

I got TONS of stickers and buttons. Lately, my granddaughter has been playing with the buttons like I did as a kid. My mom's button box taught me how to count, sort, divide and multiply before I started 1st grade! I've been good with math ever since, so much so I became an engineer. LOL
I am getting ready to donate another box of crafting stuff to a local daycare center. The local elementary school just won't take donations of craft things. I have no idea why.
But the daycare ladies LOVE it when I pull in!
Those stickers, bunches of ribbons, bottle caps, photo pin machine and supplies and 10 packs of alpha stickers. I have so many SU stamp sets that I do not know how or where to sell that I need to rid myself of for new sets from Fun Stamping Journey.

Anyone remember the bottle caps with the same plastic bubbles that poppydarling was talking about?
I used the bubbles for other things and used some of the bottle caps with ICE resin and ephemera.
Now, I save all of my ephemera for multi media. Tim Holtz came out with his Assemblage Clock and to date I've made 5 of them. 3 were Halloween, 1 was Christmas and the other I did baby themed for my DIL after she had twins! I put their hospital picture in as the wall paper and filled it part way with pink & blue (she had one of each) tiny baby bottles, booties, rattles a very tiny bottle (don't you love the miniature things you can get for doll houses these days?!) of Visine! and on the outside of the glass for the clock, I made 2 clock hands pointing to 2AM, those early feedings always made me need Visine!!

If ANYONE has micro beads that they do not want, let me know!~!!
I am using them these days in shaker cards. Sequins are nice, but they don't shake around very well, but micro beads, you can really hear them rattle.
There is a stamp set, I cannot remember where I saw it, but it was an image of a puzzle maze. Like those we older crafter (cough, cough) would get in Cracker Jacks. You would spin the maze around to get the little ball through the maze.
I've been thinking about making a shaker card like that, filled with micro beads...if I could only remember where I saw that bloody stamp set!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 AM   #140  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post

...There is a stamp set, I cannot remember where I saw it, but it was an image of a puzzle maze. Like those we older crafter (cough, cough) would get in Cracker Jacks. You would spin the maze around to get the little ball through the maze.
I've been thinking about making a shaker card like that, filled with micro beads...if I could only remember where I saw that bloody stamp set!!! ...
Saphyre333 - I wonder if you are thinking of Papertrey Ink's "The A-Mazing Stamp Set"? There's a die to go with it as well.

By the way, I have just started to take note of the many mixed media projects out there - I'd never heard of the Assemblage Clocks, but now I'm fascinated. Not sure if that's good or bad - like most crafting discoveries, I think it'll be a good way to use up supplies on hand, but I end up drawn to new specific supplies for the new interest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #141  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

Say it isn't so - staples! I dislike staples on cards despite having a box of coloured ones in my stash! I guess we all try something once ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #142  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post
I got TONS of stickers and buttons. Lately, my granddaughter has been playing with the buttons like I did as a kid. My mom's button box taught me how to count, sort, divide and multiply before I started 1st grade! I've been good with math ever since, so much so I became an engineer. LOL
I am getting ready to donate another box of crafting stuff to a local daycare center. The local elementary school just won't take donations of craft things. I have no idea why.
But the daycare ladies LOVE it when I pull in!
Those stickers, bunches of ribbons, bottle caps, photo pin machine and supplies and 10 packs of alpha stickers. I have so many SU stamp sets that I do not know how or where to sell that I need to rid myself of for new sets from Fun Stamping Journey.

Anyone remember the bottle caps with the same plastic bubbles that poppydarling was talking about?
I used the bubbles for other things and used some of the bottle caps with ICE resin and ephemera.
Now, I save all of my ephemera for multi media. Tim Holtz came out with his Assemblage Clock and to date I've made 5 of them. 3 were Halloween, 1 was Christmas and the other I did baby themed for my DIL after she had twins! I put their hospital picture in as the wall paper and filled it part way with pink & blue (she had one of each) tiny baby bottles, booties, rattles a very tiny bottle (don't you love the miniature things you can get for doll houses these days?!) of Visine! and on the outside of the glass for the clock, I made 2 clock hands pointing to 2AM, those early feedings always made me need Visine!!

If ANYONE has micro beads that they do not want, let me know!~!!
I am using them these days in shaker cards. Sequins are nice, but they don't shake around very well, but micro beads, you can really hear them rattle.
There is a stamp set, I cannot remember where I saw it, but it was an image of a puzzle maze. Like those we older crafter (cough, cough) would get in Cracker Jacks. You would spin the maze around to get the little ball through the maze.
I've been thinking about making a shaker card like that, filled with micro beads...if I could only remember where I saw that bloody stamp set!!!
If you want to get rid of your pin machine, I might be interested. I have a lot of microbeads that I could trade you. They do have holes in them, because they are for beading, but the beads are also very tiny and can't be seen. Please PM me if you are interested in some sort of trade. It's so sad that the elementary school won't take your craft supplies. My local library won't take our used books that are in very good condition. We just donated 5 crates full of books to our son't Boy Scout troop when they were doing a book drive for a children's hospital. I just can't bear to throw away things that others could use, but I can't keep so much stuff. Finding others who can use them is a win-win. ;)

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 07-05-2015 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 01:40 PM   #143  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Uh, I think I am the graveyard caretaker. Hate to part with stuff.

I have a mint condition Pen Score Magic Stamp - a foam block you heat with heat gun and mold into a stamp by pressing into an object.

I never got into the domino sanding craze, but I do have a ton of poker chips.

I don't think I ever gave my Microfleur flower drying press a try-out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #144  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a box of dominoes that are vanilla colored to make pins out of. (Stamp and color the front of )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #145  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I was just explaining to a friend yesterday what mulberry paper was. I have a few pieces yet. I think I will try to use some soon!
I've seen some great cards using mulberry paper.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 AM   #146  
Embossing Fanatic

This thead is a fun read! I just recently cleared out my office so I'm getting back into scrapbooking and card-making after a long hiatus.

Some trends I never got into, but others I still love! I used gold embossing powder and an eyelet just the other day on a tag, they're one of my favorite accessories. Same thing with embossing folders, ribbon, and punches.

I never did use stickers too often and my mulberry paper use has gone way down though... lol!

And I'll admit, I just purchased one of the Holtz spritzers! I've never used one before and lately I've really been wanting that splatter effect on my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #147  
Mad Swapper

I just found a ton of vellum tags that SU used to have. Some are even in color.
Does anyone need those? And I have a bunch of microbeads.

"Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think." Buddha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #148  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Do you remember when everyone was using Snap Stamps? I have three sizes, and I actually used them on a card just last week! They hadn't seen the light of day in ages.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #149  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Lois, I still pull out my Snap Stamps now and then; they were great for making up your own phrases or greetings. I was sad when they were discontinued because I still wanted some in another size! I think I actually saw something similar recently, but of course I can't remember which company was making them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #150  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Claudia, I remember seeing something like them just recently -- so I googled "snap together stamps." Here are some of results:

Pegz Snap-Together Stamp Starter Bundle | HSN

Mason Row Pegz Clickable Lower Case Alphabet Stamp Set, 36-Piece Bodoni Font - Walmart.com

http://www.amazon.com/Detachable-26-.../dp/B00I006UV0

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #151  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I still have Karen Foster snap stamps

https://www.google.com/search?q=kare...0CC0QsAQ&dpr=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #152  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

OK, I need to admit how much of this stuff I still have too! Tons of eyelets are about to hit the trash can.
I don't have any more mulberry paper but you know what I used to love to do with it? The faux batik technique, anyone remember that?

I'm shocked!! Please don't tell me that stitched dies are on the outdated list, I just got three sets!

Our son just dug out my Crop A Dile to make a stove for backpacking from a tin can. I still need it occasionally to cut in extra holes in my belts.

I am laughing at the title of this thread. Since I'm purging many of my stamp items I'll laugh every time I picture them in the graveyard. Ever heard about Mari Kon? She wrote a book about tidying and says to say a thank you out loud when you toss something. I'm trying that too. It will make me feel better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #153  

Hmmm, I've been reading a bit more.....
get rid of my RIBBON????? no way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #154  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Brads

I have a ton of brads that I don't use anymore due to the invention of the self adhesive pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #155  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smefaithView Post
LOL... Just got caught up on reading this thread... You all know you can still use your metal stencils by running them through your Big Shot??? I use mine from time to time that way....
OMG Never even thought of that. I managed to get myself two metal stencils by mistake LOL....and had no idea what to do with them. So thanks.

I love using embossing paste, though

But honestly ladies if everything is out, then what is in? :o

Although I have to admit I no longer use stickers, eyelets only on tags which I rarely make, brads only get used on the SVGCuts 3D purses which again, I rarely make.

I have way too many mulberry flowers but I do use them or have so far. But I just got myself a lot of stamps to color so I have a feeling I am changing that style soon.

Vellum, I plan on using more of.

Embossing, I plan on doing more of but never realized that ever went out.

Paper clips and staples - as office supplies.

Love background stamps. How can that ever go out of fashion?

Only got one decorative edge scissor when I was way younger

Corner punches...well more like the crop-a-dile corner chompers. Use them on mini albums mainly.

Glossy cardstock, crimpers, rainbow ink pads, photo corners, handmade paper, mulberry paper, tea bag folding (what?), quilling (although gals in my area are running small businesses and only doing quilling), pressed flowers, tea dying, marbled paper (although I got too much patterned cardstock), Webbing Spray (no idea what that is), Chalk, Scented Cards - Nope, never got into any of these.

And I just got 3 sets of those stitched dies - umm 4...may be 5...they better not be out of date :o

Last edited by Erum; 07-12-2015 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #156  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Thanks Faith, I just googled putting metal stencils through the big shot. I had no idea. Good to know.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 AM   #157  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErumView Post
OMG
But honestly ladies if everything is out, then what is in? :o
And I just got 3 sets of those stitched dies - umm 4...may be 5...they better not be out of date :o
This is a good question!
Some of the items listed in this thread are "in" enough to be included in my recent SSS monthly card kit.
Stickers, Rub Ons, clips, and vellum. I am not a fan of rub ons!

Also imho, stitched dies are still going strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #158  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

wow. Never heard of snap together stamps. I have a very large supply of different alphabet set stamps though.

And buttons .. I still like them. I made some button rings for children recently.
And look - you can make your own now with resin!
Amazon.com: Luxbon Fastener Shape Candy/Ice/Cake/Chocolate/Sugar Craft Fondant Mold/Tray Silicone Decorating Tools Randomly Color: Kitchen & Dining
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #159  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
Lois, I still pull out my Snap Stamps now and then; they were great for making up your own phrases or greetings. I was sad when they were discontinued because I still wanted some in another size! I think I actually saw something similar recently, but of course I can't remember which company was making them!
Ken Oliver. Found them on scrapbook.com
Ordered myself some so they better not be digging a grave for themselves
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #160  
Inking Addict

So I was just going through this thread and it occurred to me that the old phrase 'one woman's junk is another woman's treasure'.

So why don't you ladies just swap with each other? That way you can all get something you want to use and be happy that your unused stuff found a good home
Reply With Quote Likes