Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on Coasters

I have seen people who use Staz On Ink to stamp on tiles for coasters. I tried this but when the tile gets wet (from the drink's condensation), it rubs right off. How do you keep the ink on? I thought Staz-On ink was not supposed to come off, even with water.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #2  
Inking Addict

Use an acrylic sealer ( I use a matte finish) for the tiles. Spray lightly or the image will smear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:03 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I think you can set it using Krylon Fixatif (I think that's how it's actually spelled) Spray.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I think maybe you got the wrong tiles. You need a tumbled tile that is not sealed. The porus surface allows the ink to set into in instead of on top of it. No sealer required with the tumbled tiles because then they lose their ability to be absorbant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been doing a "trial run" of the coasters before I give them as gifts. I stamped on them with Staz On, colored them in with Sharpies, and then baked them on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. So far, so good. I am using them and so far the ink stays on. Denise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I was just wondering, do you have to bake the tiles or will spraying them with a sealer be enough?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:17 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

For the tumbled marble tiles I do both! I stamp the black first then bake, then go back and color in, bake again and then seal. I use Decor-It inks as well as Staz-On, they are much more permanent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

I have bought tumble tiles and I use starzon and sharpies I have sealed one set of them and the colors ran when I sealed them. I have done another set using the technique to bake them at 350 for 20 min and I had to wait for about a hour until they cooled and the colors did not run. So I rather bake them then try to seal them. I also noticed that the ones I sealed dont soak up the water like the ones I baked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Default better then ceramic!

I needed a coaster that would absorb the moisture...while I am on the computer with SCS
I went to Menards, home depot..whatever you have. Got the 12X12 Cork(4 sheets in a package)...cut 4X4 coaster out of it...WORKS GREAT!! The staz-on works great and no sealing. I did them for a favor at a bridal shower and attached a
lemonade/water bottle/ on the go..packet with a thank you saying.. You can
get 36 coasters for $6.99!! And you can mail them easier! Great VBS project or girl scouts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

A question about the type of tiles used...what exactly is "tumbled" and how do you know you are getting a tumbled tile? I'm sure I'm probably missing some obvious point here...

Alana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

They will say "Tumbled Tiles" or "Tumbled Marble Tiles" either on the box or on the display. I found mine at Home depot with the rest of their ceramic tiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaswife
I have been doing a "trial run" of the coasters before I give them as gifts. I stamped on them with Staz On, colored them in with Sharpies, and then baked them on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. So far, so good. I am using them and so far the ink stays on. Denise
I tried this, too -- the staz-on stayed on, but the sharpies could be wiped away. I used those glossy ceramic tiles. I wonder why it didn't work for me?

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2005, 12:38 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

BTW, on a similar thread, someone suggested applying Crystal Effects to the stamped and colored image (especially if your coloring in with pastels), and it acts as a sealer. Then, the rest of the tumbled tile will still absorb moisture. I'll be trying that technique soon.

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you live nearby an IKEA they sell cork coasters 4x4 size.. 12 in a pack for 99 cents. You can even get huge cork place mat sets there for under 4 dollars.

I love painting and stamping on them, and if you get tired of the look just make something new, or paint over them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile coaster's

I read somewhere that after you color them too let them sit for 24hrs. and then bake them at 160 for 30min. Then let cool It didn't say anything about sealing? I have not tried this but thought I could pass this on. Patty P.S. post if you try it and how it worked????good-luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2005, 07:10 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My choice.....

I work with Botticino Tumbled Marble tiles which I get at either Lowe's or Home Depot for roughly $6 for 9 tiles. They are "rough" and porous, making them semi-absorbent.

I stamp on them three ways. Initially, I just stamped on them with Staz-On, baked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and voila: they are heat set and can handle *ANY* amount of glass-sweat!

Second way: Stamp in Staz-On and color the image in with Sharpie. Heat-Set at 350 for 20 minutes. Seems to handle moisture just as well as Staz-On does!

Third way: this past weekend, I did a *new* variety of tile at a local shop. We tinted the tiles with chalk-inks, then over-stamped with Staz-On, heat set with a heat gun, and did two coats of clear varnish. The downside of that: the coast is no longer semi-absorbent. (See my gallery if you're interested in type #3...) ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:48 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Do I have this right

I am about to start doing coasters made from Tumbled Tiles.

I got an arcylic sealer. I put that on first, right? Once I put that arcylic sealer on do I still have to bake them? If I color them in with chalks do I have to reseal them with something or would it still stick? Can I color in my image with stazon or craft ink using a blender pen?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

for coasters - you need to use Tumbled tiles - most of the time the name is Bottochino or Relagto (spelling might be off a bit but you should be able to recognize that it is close to these two names)

for the main image you need to use a permanent ink that is NOT water based...Stazon and Chalk ink work well for this - along with a few other types...

If you are using just ink to stamp - simply bake for about 20 minutes - let cool and viola...

you can color in using sharpies, fabrico markers, chalk ink, staz-on ink (use an old blender pen for the last two) and bake and everything should be fine - one thing to note that sharpies might bleed into the staz-on so be carfeful by the image edge...

You can also use other things to color in the image - pastels, colored pencils and such but those need to be sealed in some way or else the coloring will wash away...

DO NOT seal and then bake - the sealent will more than likely yellow due to the high heat...

You can bake and seal but if you are using tumbled tile and permanent inks you shouldn't have to seal...

GLOSSY tiles will not work in most cases - they are smooth not pourous and do not allow the ink to settle...the ink will just sit on top of the tile and hence it can be washed away...you can seal them - however the ink will get "transferred" to the sealent so if the sealent layer gets chipped the image will come off...Some people have found success in brushing a coating of CE over a stamped image on glossy tiles...but I would not use glossy tiles for a coaster - mainly they seem to be used for write-on/wipe off boards...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Location: in a seaside cottage in Maine, IRL off the Beltway in Northern VA

I love making coasters as gifts, I have a couple in my gallery, I use Staz-on and seal with an acrylic spray after I am done coloring in, haven't had any problem with smearing when they get wet. Also I don't know about regular ink but I would be cautious baking the tiles with Staz-On since it is a solvent ink and the fumes could be caustic.

Someone mentioned Ikea cork tiles, that sounds interesting, I may have to go to Ikea this weekend

Mary

Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 03:45 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I'm going to be making a set of coasters as a gift for my mother (using Balmy Breezes, stamped with black Staz on, and colored with Sharpies). Any ideas for packaging? I think a gallon sized paint can is too big. The smaller one is too small.
TIA,
~Gina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2005, 05:07 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've made them with staz-on & recently tried the craft ink - I liked it much better!! It was easier to use as it's not as 'slippery' & the colors were vibrant. I used the tumbled tiles & they've done fine so far with just sitting overnight & baking for 30 minutes at 350 - you can't bake them too long I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2005, 11:28 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I'm at a loss here!!!!!!!!! I think I have tried just about everything and still the Sharpies smear! I'm using the Rialto tiles which are very much like thirsty stones. The Staz-On is fabu and yes I baked it in! No fading, smearing, etc. The Sharpies, though, not working out so well. I have baked and sealed w/Matte finish and Crystal Clear sealer and still it runs. What to do??????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Default what stamps to use??

What stamp sets are you all using for these tiles? Sounds like a great and easy gift for Christmas. Thanks for you ideas and input!
Reply With Quote Likes