Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping Club cost?

I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks, but thought of something I'd like some other opinions on!

I go to a monthly SU stamp class at my demonstrator's house. We make 3 cards- she pre-cuts all the supplies, and makes a sample card. It's fun!

The thing I was wondering about is what is normal for a demonstrator to charge for that? She charges $10, and gives NO discount even if you just placed a huge order. I thought it was normal, until I saw another demonstrator in my area that either charges $5 or doesn't charge anything if you placed a $30 order.

The cards we make at the stamp class aren't very elaborate-- just card stock, basically-- not many embellishments, glitter, etc.

Thank you for your opinions!!

~ Ashley
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I think the cost of this type of workshop/camp varies greatly. Sometimes it is entirely free, regardless of whether you place an order or not. I think $10-15 is pretty normal. I have paid up to $30, depending on the project and the supplies needed. Logically, the demonstrator is in business and she is using her time to plan and pre-cut the projects for you. We are paying for a service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also a difference between a paid stamping class and a stamping club. A lot of demonstrators don't charge anything for the projects you do as part of the club meeting because a club usually means that you're required to put in an order each month (or whatever the club format is set up as). Since every demonstrator runs their own business, they set up their own requirements for how they run things. Some demonstrators charge a price for guests at an in-home workshop to cover the supply costs while other demonstrators are eating the cost or hoping for high enough workshop sales to cover their expenses. Demonstrators have to pay for everything associated with classes, clubs or workshops - all supplies for make-and-takes, the order forms, the mini catalogs, etc. The only time they get a break on some things is if they sell enough to earn some free stuff based on the high sales. So, it's very common to find a range of what you pay/get with each demonstrator. It all depends on how much of their business costs they're willing to eat or hope to get "reimbursed for" with sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I am in a stamping club at my demo's house, once per month. We have to order at least $30 per month and she doesn't charge for the cards we make at her house with her supplies. We make about 5 different projects each time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I go to a card class once a month. It is $20 to make 12 cards, but nothing is pre-cut but the card base and we bring our own adhesive and cutter. If you order $30 or more the charge is reduced to $7. There is no obligation to attend each month.

You can always attend a class with a different demo to see which you like best, assuming you have not committed to a one year card club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think $10 is a bargain to get out of the house, make a few simple projects and have fun.

I'm going to one this weekend that's $25. I'm SUPER excited. This demo doesn't have them all the time, but she's super talented and I love her. Anyhow this one is a bit more because ALL the money goes to a local charity. She's eating the cost of supplies.

But if there was a fun monthly get together here in town I'd happily pay $10 to go. (There may be but no one in my stamping circle knows of it)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

The demos in my area charge $9.00 for six cards. NO DISCOUNT which is fine with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Have you been to Hallmark lately? Unless you specifically target their dollar rack, you are hard pressed to find a card less than $3. And these are impersonal, mass produced cards.

$10 for three cards seems pretty reasonable to me. I spend $10 to go to a crop where nothing is provided except a few light snacks.

I do think it's important to remember that demos pay for everything you see. Materials for the projects, business supplies, website, utilities, space, even adhesive (which can sometimes be the most expensive part if people use a ton).

If you compare my costs to my output (number of cards I produce), my cards cost THOUSANDS of dollars. LOL~

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

$10 for 3 cards is more expensive than what my demo charges. She charges $10 for FOUR cards. AND if you go a certain number of times (maybe 11??) the next one is free.

Forgot to add, it is a 2-hour class and she also cuts all the supplies. No discount for placing an order; that's entirely separate.

ALSO forgot to add, she provides glue sticks; if anyone wants anything stronger, they can bring their own adhesive. Also, she usually asks us to bring our own scissors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
The demos in my area charge $9.00 for six cards. NO DISCOUNT which is fine with us.

Oh, everything is pre-cut and the cards range from easy to involved...we get to use lots of different supplies and embellishments! It's a great deal. She gets all the hostess credit for what we buy. We love our demo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I go to 3 different demonstrators. they all pretty much precut and provide everything but pop-ups and adhensive although if you run out or forget they will give those to you.
Demonstrator 1 club is 6 people only. We promise to buy 25 each month for 6 months and draw to be the hostess and get the hostess benefits. Depending on what's happening we make from 1 to 5 cards at each party. This last one we made one card so we could spend the time to look at her copy of the new catalog. She is always giving us extras. For example we now have a page where she punched all the new colors , listed them and glued them on one sheet for us. When the new catalog comes out for 5 dollars she binds it with coil and adds a plastic page protector in front and back and gives us a transparency of the punches so we can hold them over stamp sets to see which punch will work best. We provide the snacks when it is our party. For her classes the cost varies depending on what we are doing. We have a punch class and it is 10 and we do 2 punch cards. She cuts and gives written instructions so we can make more. She does clean and simple cards to very elaborate cards. Her technique classes are usually 10 and she provides a snack for any class that is not a party. She layers her cards and uses a lot of designer paper and su emblishments. We love her. Her stamp a stack classes cost 25 unless you are a club member. Then it is 20. We make 3 cards of 4 designs and she is usually teaching us at least one technique. Did I say we love her. She gives you written instructions as to inks, cardstock, stamps and what size to cut everything. Very easy to make cards when you get home or six months later.

Demonstrator 2 has 6 people for a club and occasionaly we can bring a couple of extra people. Meet in one of the club members home. She charges 25 for stamp a stack 4 cards of 4 designs. club meeting is 25 unless you place a 25 dollar order, then it is 5. Her technique classes are higher. Most of her cards are clean and simple because we have 3 ladies who can barely see. It's still a good class. She gives a 20% off any one thing in the retired catalog before it goes out.She also gives 20% off for anything in the new catalog. One item one time as long as you have been ordering from her as a thank you from her. She gives you written instructions as to what inks, cardstock, stamp set, etc. you use with each card.

Demonstrator 3 has been inactive for the past few months. She is suppose to start up in August and I can't wait. She allows you to join and agree to pay 25 each month. She draws names out of a hat as to which month you have. She had 18 people in the first club. My party was a 900.00 party. Which was great, but it was when we had 6 month catalogs so unless I ordered a party by myself there was no chance to get hostess benefits with new catalogs. Not a problem for me as I could get them from other demostrators, but it was for others I'm sure. Anyway, I'm trying to get her to limit the clubs to 9 people and select 3 months that no one has a party. Christmas is a bad time, April usually is because of taxes, and September because of school supplies. She does hers a little different. She has stations set up with written instructions. She has cut everything. You go to a station and put it together by yourself. If there is something new she will demo for the group, and she will give you individual help if you ask for it. Her parties are a drop in affair. Say fron 5 to 8. She provides all the food for all the parties. We do at least 4 cards. I don't believe she charges for the party, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.She does no stamp a stacks or techniques classes, but teaches techniques as we do the parties. Only bad thing is she doesn't give copy of written instructions.

I like going to all 3 demonstrators and would add a 4th if I could find one in my area. Feel lost if I'm not stamping at least once a week with others. It is a social thing for me as I live alone. they are all different and I learn something from each of them. And of course being a teacher, I pass what I learn on to each of them so others can benefit.

As long as they stay at the 25 price limit I'll be able to do it. If they go higher, I'll have to start dropping out and I really don't want to do that.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.
sam

sam

Last edited by allensm; 06-22-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #12  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Speaking as a Canadian.....
I went to a once a month club and it was on the basis that you had to spend at least $25.00. We usually made 2 cards while she demo'd another. She also had a hostess month and we drew names out of a hat to see which month we were the hostess for etc. It was fun and and affordable until Stampin Up began raising some prices (esp shipping) We began to notice these raised prices were not happening for the U.S. and by the time we spent 17$ U.S. with shipping we were looking at closer to 30-35$
It took the fun out of buying from them. Three of us quit and wrote to SU to tell them why. Our demonstrator was sorry to see us go but she understood.
Personally, I have been involved with SCS swaps, have used the stamps I have and I don't miss the frenzy of "retiring" lists etc. I'm using all of my supplies and just buy as I need.
that's my two cents.....
jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

bump

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

The way my demo does hostess clubs is entirely different and separate from her classes. She has five people to a club, and each one has to spend $30 a month. Each person gets a turn to be hostess, and the the sixth month is a break (though anyone can still order of course). She usually has two clubs going. Same for the 2nd half of the year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I think you can see from all these replies that every demo is different. What you are currently paying is a "reasonable" price overall. Some pay less, some pay more.

The key is remembering that each demo has to run her OWN business. So what she charges or whether she offers discounts depends on what she can afford. Anything given for free to her customers is something she might be having to eat the cost of herself.

There are a few things you will find the same from one demo to the next. Afterall, they all receive the same "training" and have access to the same materials. But what they charge for their "services".....time to teach, prepare materials and what they charge for materials will vary from person to person depending on their financial situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Default Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I think you can see from all these replies that every demo is different. What you are currently paying is a "reasonable" price overall. Some pay less, some pay more.

The key is remembering that each demo has to run her OWN business. So what she charges or whether she offers discounts depends on what she can afford. Anything given for free to her customers is something she might be having to eat the cost of herself.

There are a few things you will find the same from one demo to the next. Afterall, they all receive the same "training" and have access to the same materials. But what they charge for their "services".....time to teach, prepare materials and what they charge for materials will vary from person to person depending on their financial situation.
That was very well said. I am a demo and that is exactly the truth. We are all the same - running a business but all different in our financial situations. I truly love to teach and enjoy introducing rubber stamping and paper crafting to others.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:36 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Also, we usually have 10 to 15 people per workshop. She doesn't have a limit of # people who can attend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

I'm a demo and personally it does sound a little steep to not give a discount on the class if you place a large order. I'm sure she's running her business the way she sees fit though so I don't want to bash it.

I charge $15 for my classes but that goes down if you spend a minimum of $30 and the class is free with a $100 order. I use designer paper, embellishments and always have favors for the attendees, plus thank you cards in their order. I still make a good wage and it encourages ladies to place orders. I know of a lot of demos that give class discounts if you place an order.

I'm sure your demo is great and charging what she feels is appropriate, but if you're not happy then you have to do what makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I think $10 for 3 basic cards is expensive. When I go to a card making class I want to learn some new techniques and get some creative ideas. If I don�t get that, then it is not worth it to me, at any cost. I can do basic by myself. I also like to do 2 each of a card design. That way I can give one and keep one if I choose.

I took a Copic Coloring class at one of my LSS where we made 3 cards. I enjoyed coloring the images, but the card designs were blah, the card base was lightweight (I�m use to PTI) and no envelopes. I realize that the purpose of the class was to practice coloring with Copics but if making cards is part of the class, I think I should leave with 3 well designed cards and envelopes. It was $29. :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

The only thing different that I would add is that you have to look at the overall picture of what each demo does, not just compare classes to classes and clubs to clubs. Each demonstrator has their own way of marketing their business, some may do that in the form of special sales or promotions and try to keep their classes profitalbe. Some may give a free class or discount a class to encourage sales. So you have to look at the overall picture. In my opinion though $10 is the least I would charge for the class you described to try to make any profit at all. I do 4 fairly minimal cards (paper and some with ribbon or a little bling, usually embellish with tools and layers and techniques) for $10 no envies or adhesive and I do good to make $3-4 a head to cover the cost of prep time and other incidentals.
By the time you figure in all of the hidden costs of putting on a class (room fees, replacement of worn out products and ink refills, small incidentals like pop dots and other adhesives, gas, the demo's personal time for designing, cutting, advertising and other prep, snacks, etc. not to mention the paper and bling) The first $10 doesn't really begin to cover all of that unless you have 12-15 people consistently and then you are still not making much.

Belinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

The card classes I've taken with my local SU and CTMH demos are in their home and do not include any snacks. We make very nice cards with some bling, brads and/or ribbon here and there. I dont' remember their price points, but i thought the classes were well worth it and included envies.

For me, that factors that help me determine if a class was worth it are
- design of card (color coordination, use of embelishments)
- techniques learned
- included envelopes

I weigh those factors with cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbtbbyView Post
The only thing different that I would add is that you have to look at the overall picture of what each demo does, not just compare classes to classes and clubs to clubs. Each demonstrator has their own way of marketing their business, some may do that in the form of special sales or promotions and try to keep their classes profitalbe. Some may give a free class or discount a class to encourage sales. So you have to look at the overall picture. In my opinion though $10 is the least I would charge for the class you described to try to make any profit at all. I do 4 fairly minimal cards (paper and some with ribbon or a little bling, usually embellish with tools and layers and techniques) for $10 no envies or adhesive and I do good to make $3-4 a head to cover the cost of prep time and other incidentals.
By the time you figure in all of the hidden costs of putting on a class (room fees, replacement of worn out products and ink refills, small incidentals like pop dots and other adhesives, gas, the demo's personal time for designing, cutting, advertising and other prep, snacks, etc. not to mention the paper and bling) The first $10 doesn't really begin to cover all of that unless you have 12-15 people consistently and then you are still not making much.

Belinda

Very well said. It takes alot of time to design the projects, pre-cut cardstock and get everything ready. I think $10 is a bargain especially if you enjoy the class and the people you are hanging out with. It costs $9.50 to see a movie and that doesn't even cover the cost of snacks.

As far as a discount on products, well, that is the demo's decision. I have many good friends who are demos and never expect them to discount the products I purchase. If I can't afford/want to pay the full price, then I just don't need it. JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm not a demo, so speaking from the customers point of view.
3 cards for $10. simple cards, at $3. each, try and sell them for that. You won't even get anyone to pay that price for a SIMPLE card. I wouldn't be going again, I can do that at home for free. Now, if she was making the cards interesting, with supplies to entice my
purchases, that would be different. I would hope to learn something from the
cards she presents. If not she gets a simple order, cheap one at that.
That may be a strong opinion, but I haven't experienced many demos who
give the customer a deal. So, I'm selective from now on also.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

I agree you want to go to a class to do something you might not have tried at home - use a tool or embellishment you don't have. That is reasonable. But as a demo - it is our business and our time is money. We take the time to prep for the class, cutting the paper and getting the supplies needed to do the class has to count. We pay for that stuff. The fee for classes is not only based on what you think the card is worth - it is not based on that at all. You are paying for her time to prepare, the supplies needed to make the cards, her teaching you (hopefully you are learning something) and for the social aspect of it. Being with other who enjoy paper crafting and socializing for the night. I think if you are not happy with the cards and are not having a good time while you are there than you have every right to not go. That is your choice. You need to do what makes you feel good. Do you get to see what you are making before you have to sign up? That would be a good thing - then you only sign up for what you like. Maybe you could suggest that to her.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Actually, I have never gone to a class expecting to make awesome cards or learn anything (er, not trying to sound arrogant; it's just that I can learn anything card-making-related I want from SCS or youtube). I went to a class for over a year specifically to find/get-to-know a real-life stamper friend (with whom I could THEN stamp with, for FREE!). I found one and stopped going to the classes. The price (of the classes) was sooooooo worth it. I would do that again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Default That is great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Actually, I have never gone to a class expecting to make awesome cards or learn anything (er, not trying to sound arrogant; it's just that I can learn anything card-making-related I want from SCS or youtube). I went to a class for over a year specifically to find/get-to-know a real-life stamper friend (with whom I could THEN stamp with, for FREE!). I found one and stopped going to the classes. The price (of the classes) was sooooooo worth it. I would do that again.
That is the social part of going out for these classes. Finding new friends who enjoy doing what you do. That is what I love about being a demonstrator. I have a ton of stamping buddies now and some have really become close friends. It is wonderful. SU has a stamp that stay"the happiest business in the world is that of making friends". I loved that stamp because that is what SU has bought into my life - a business of making friends!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 04:58 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just don't see the money as me paying for the cards themselves (I"m totally weird about class cards anyhow, I can't submit them to magazines or sell them and if I give them to people they think I designed them, which I didn't. So mostly I don't really care what they look like.) I see it as paying for the prep time of the demo and on my part it's "worth" it if it's fun. The OP said she has fun. A few hours of fun is totally worth $10 to me. I'd pay any of you $10 right now to come over and entertain me for a few hours. haha.

So to me "is it worth it" comes down to "Was it fun" If yes, then heck yes, if no, then no (been to a few that were not fun, never returned) The projects are just something to DO while I'm socializing.

Ten, fifteen, twenty, any of that is fine if it's that much FUN. If it were a great group with a fun demo and we made one card while laughing and yucking it up I'd happily pay $20. Maybe more. You know, if it was MORE fun. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #28  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I just don't see the money as me paying for the cards themselves (I"m totally weird about class cards anyhow, I can't submit them to magazines or sell them and if I give them to people they think I designed them, which I didn't. So mostly I don't really care what they look like.) I see it as paying for the prep time of the demo and on my part it's "worth" it if it's fun. The OP said she has fun. A few hours of fun is totally worth $10 to me. I'd pay any of you $10 right now to come over and entertain me for a few hours. haha.

So to me "is it worth it" comes down to "Was it fun" If yes, then heck yes, if no, then no (been to a few that were not fun, never returned) The projects are just something to DO while I'm socializing.

Ten, fifteen, twenty, any of that is fine if it's that much FUN. If it were a great group with a fun demo and we made one card while laughing and yucking it up I'd happily pay $20. Maybe more. You know, if it was MORE fun. ;)
Will you cover the travel costs for me? Do you have A/C? If so ... I'm there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post

Well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Our SU demo charges 5.00 each person for traveling expenses then we all split the cost of renting a space. We have to buy our own eats. Our numbers have split in half now that our demo charges and now that we have to pay for a room to rent. We also give her an order which averages around 30 - 50 dollars each order but also we decide on one person in the group before hand to be the hostess and they have to bring a dessert. I find it a little expensive at times since we have less people to split the room costs with but it's all worth it to me to get a day out with the stampin buddies. I've met lots of new friends. I'll continue to do it as long as I have the means to do it. I've learned a lot of great things. We make around 2-3 cards, bookmark, and/or different things. The more difficult the project the less we make because we can only have the room for a certain number of hours. I wasn't aware that the demo pays for all her supplies to demo with. That's good to know so I don't waste any material when attending them.

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

My demo was not giving a discount for a large order, so we asked her. She thought it was a great idea, and implemented it the next month! She has other challenges, too, as there are a couple of us that have been stamping for years, and could teach the class, andthen some newbies who get lost if you have to rotate the card. I actually feel sorry for her. It would be easier if we were all similar levels, but it never is that way.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes