Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin Up Angel Policy - query

Hi folks, I'm new to SU and am struggling a little understanding their Angel Policy. So I have two questions:

1. Am I only allowed to sell something with SU products if it has a SU license stamp on it? I have a "Handmade by Kiki" stamp I've been using for years, but maybe that's not enough? I'm reluctant to buy a whole license stamp set just for a "(c) Stampin Up" text to add to anything SU I use as I clearly don't need anything else that says "Handmade..." so the rest of the set would be useless to me.

2. How does the Angel policy apply if you use a range of products and stamps on a card? I'd feel wrong putting a copyright mark on something that might indicate every stamp on the card is SU when it isn't.

I'm actually not planning on selling my cards for profit. I am doing a market later this year where I'll be selling a range of cards (of which only a few will be SU) with 100% of profits to the community house hosting the market.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Here is what I found on the US site (I say that because I see you are in Australia):

All of Stampin� Up!�s images are copyrighted, which means that they may not be copied without permission. To help protect the rights granted by these copyrights, all items for sale using Stampin� Up! images must be marked with one of the images from the official Stampin� Up! Limited License stamp sets shown in the catalog, or the digital copyright image included in the My Digital Studio program, or available online.

To answer your second question, I would say that any item you make that has even one SU! image on it needs the license stamp on the back. That is what I am inferring from what I just posted above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Does your "Handmade by Kiki" stamp also include "(c) Stampin' Up!" on it? If it does, then I believe that IS enough. I believe they really just want to make sure the "(c) Stampin' Up!" gets on the card, and that it's clear that you handmade the card (i.e., it's not a product manufactured by Stampin' Up!). So the combination of "Handmade" and "(c) Stampin' Up!" would be perfect.

In looking through the 2009-2010 catalog, there's a blurb on page 146 that says, "Angel Policy: You can sell cards or crafts made with Stampin’ Up!’s copyrighted images if the project includes a stamp with “� Stampin’ Up!” on it." http://dostamping.typepad.com/Catalo...C_09-10_US.pdf

Also, you can usually find the old "Art by Design" license set for $10 or less on e-bay: Stampin Up Art by Design Stamp Set of 8 | eBay
Three of the stamps from this set include “� Stampin’ Up!”

Other than what was quoted from the catalog, this is all just my humble opinion. Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Does your "Handmade by Kiki" stamp also include "(c) Stampin' Up!" on it?

Also, you can usually find the old "Art by Design" license set for $10 or less on e-bay: Stampin Up Art by Design Stamp Set of 8 | eBay
Three of the stamps from this set include �� Stampin� Up!�
My stamp is generic as I am new to SU and I had my Handmade stamp custom made about 5 years ago. So it looks like I will need to find a "� Stampin� Up!" stamp, hopefully on ebay as you suggested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I know you you don't want to buy a whole set but you may want to consider SU photopolymer set Better Than E-Mail. There is more in it than "handmade..." but also includes the "(c) Stampin Up" individually. I love the Snail Mail and Better Than Email stamp in it. I've been using those two a lot and the people you have gotten cards with them stamped on the back are getting a kick out of it. Didn't know anyone was paying attention to the back since they know I make them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, my understanding is that if even one element on the project is Stampin' Up!, it has to have the "copyright Stampin' Up!" line stamped on the back. I found a single stamp (the one I liked best) from the license stamp set on eBay for very cheap – I think it was less than $4. If I ever sold my crafts that used any Stampin' Up! products, I intended to just use the copyright line from the stamp because I have personalized stamps already that I like to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazysuziestamperView Post
I know you you don't want to buy a whole set but you may want to consider SU photopolymer set Better Than E-Mail.
That set sounds great!... But it doesn't seem to be available in the Australian catty or online via SU Australia, unless I'm missing something :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiki_macView Post
That set sounds great!... But it doesn't seem to be available in the Australian catty or online via SU Australia, unless I'm missing something :(
I don't see it either, bummer.

Last edited by crazysuziestamper; 06-09-2015 at 02:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Hopefully it's coming soon... we tend to get *everything* after the entire world has it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

It was a set that was released after the catalog was made and I don't think it was carried into the new catalog. I love the set myself because of the little snail, I usually stamp that on the back of the envelope. I'd think the set would show up in clearance at some point of try eBay or even the looking for/ wanted thread on here.

Update:
I found it here: http://www.stampinup.com/ECWeb/Produ...oductID=140463 don't know if you can get in Australia.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

If you don't want to purchase a stamp, you could print out clear stickers with � Stampin'Up! on them to use on the backs of your cards. You can type the copyright symbol by holding down the alt key on the right side of the keyboard and typing "0169" on the numeric keypad (it doesn't show up until you release the alt key). You could even include the "Handmade by Kiki" on the sticker - two birds/one stone... If you want to clarify that not all of the stamps used were Stampin'Up!, you could say "Some images � Stampin'Up!" or something like that.

I've read articles that mention how difficult/impossible it is to enforce angel policies - especially involving "tools" such as stamps. A lot of it comes down to personal integrity and code of ethics, in my mind. We know how we feel if someone "steals" an idea, so it's on us to be respectful of others' work, as well. I think that the intention of angel policies is to protect artists and their work (which is also their livelihood) and the businesses that support them. It is admirable that you are asking questions to be on the "safe" side of the issue...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 06-09-2015 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If you don't want to purchase a stamp, you could print out clear stickers with � Stampin'Up! on them to use on the backs of your cards. You can type the copyright symbol by holding down the alt key on the right side of the keyboard and typing "0169" on the numeric keypad (it doesn't show up until you release the alt key). You could even include the "Handmade by Kiki" on the sticker - two birds/one stone... If you want to clarify that not all of the stamps used were Stampin'Up!, you could say "Some images � Stampin'Up!" or something like that.

I've read articles that mention how difficult/impossible it is to enforce angel policies - especially involving "tools" such as stamps. A lot of it comes down to personal integrity and code of ethics, in my mind. We know how we feel if someone "steals" an idea, so it's on us to be respectful of others' work, as well. I think that the intention of angel policies is to protect artists and their work (which is also their livelihood) and the businesses that support them. It is admirable that you are asking questions to be on the "safe" side of the issue...
Could also hold down the ctrl, alt and c keys at the same time. Lots quicker :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Even quicker for me is to use character map (Start button >>Run>>type "charmap" into the box. I tend to use it for most accents and things like � and so on. It's one of those things that's been in Windows for as long as I can remember and still survives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks everyone for this idea - I didn't think about making something myself as I wasn't sure that was allowed.

I work in a field where copyright and ethics are part of my job, so I'm keen to ensure I am doing the right thing where I can. I don't want to simply just avoid using SU stamps for these charity cards as I think they'll sell really well and make more money for the community house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 162 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Thanks everyone for this idea - I didn't think about making something myself as I wasn't sure that was allowed.
According to the rules, I don't believe typing the copyright notice is allowed. ("To help protect the rights granted by these copyrights, all items for sale using Stampin� Up! images must be marked with one of the images from the official Stampin� Up! Limited License stamp sets shown in the catalog, or the digital copyright image included in the My Digital Studio program, or available online.")

Too bad you can't get "Better Than E-mail" in Australia. It really is versatile, with a lot of cute stamps, including one that just says �Stampin' Up!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

The following is from the circular from the United States government regarding copyright law:

Under these guidelines, as long as the copyright symbol and the owner of the copyright are noted, it doesn't matter whether it is hand-written, stamped, typed, or printed. It should also be noted that, under paragraph 2, you may omit the year (which is handy, since you might not know it).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

If SU allows that, they definitely changed their policy – I remember getting in touch with them because I just wanted to use the copyright line, and was told I had to use one of the stamps in that particular "official" set if I wanted to sell items featuring their products. So I hunted down a single stamp on eBay because I didn't see why I should have to purchase a whole set when I already owned so much of their product, the whole reason I would be using them on my cards :-) It's much more reasonable to just be able to use the tiny copyright line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
If SU allows that, they definitely changed their policy � I remember getting in touch with them because I just wanted to use the copyright line, and was told I had to use one of the stamps in that particular "official" set if I wanted to sell items featuring their products. So I hunted down a single stamp on eBay because I didn't see why I should have to purchase a whole set when I already owned so much of their product, the whole reason I would be using them on my cards :-) It's much more reasonable to just be able to use the tiny copyright line.
As much as I like SU!, that "policy" is unenforceable, I'm thinking - it's just a way to get you to purchase one more thing. It would certainly be a simple thing to just stamp the back, but I still think that - given the actual "law", as opposed to "policy" - you're covered...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
As much as I like SU!, that "policy" is unenforceable, I'm thinking - it's just a way to get you to purchase one more thing. It would certainly be a simple thing to just stamp the back, but I still think that - given the actual "law", as opposed to "policy" - you're covered...
Oh I agree! But seeing as they have such rabid fans, I wouldn't put it past them to actually purchase one of my items to make sure the stamp was on the back LOL Maybe I'm just paranoid...you can never be too careful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 06:24 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I've never sold cards, even for charity, but I vowed years ago that if I ever did sell cards that I would not use SU stamps for them. There are a couple of charities that I would like donate cards to for them to sell, but I don't think it's worth the hassle to use SU stamps. I'm not going to put a copyright notice for SU and not for other companies, and I'm not willing to fill up the back of my card with copyright notices. This thread is a reminder of my policy not to use SU for cards to be sold.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have an extra set of retired angel policy approved SU stamps and would be willing to send one your way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I have an extra set of retired angel policy approved SU stamps and would be willing to send one your way.
That's a very kind offer, Mamaxsix, thanks - however it would cost a bit to send these to Australia - I wonder if someone else in the US would be willing to take these off your hands, especially if they wanted the whole set? I also won't be making cards to sell all that often. But I really appreciate the offer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Hi folks, I'm new to SU and am struggling a little understanding their Angel Policy. So I have two questions:

1. Am I only allowed to sell something with SU products if it has a SU license stamp on it? I have a "Handmade by Kiki" stamp I've been using for years, but maybe that's not enough? I'm reluctant to buy a whole license stamp set just for a "(c) Stampin Up" text to add to anything SU I use as I clearly don't need anything else that says "Handmade..." so the rest of the set would be useless to me.

2. How does the Angel policy apply if you use a range of products and stamps on a card? I'd feel wrong putting a copyright mark on something that might indicate every stamp on the card is SU when it isn't.

I'm actually not planning on selling my cards for profit. I am doing a market later this year where I'll be selling a range of cards (of which only a few will be SU) with 100% of profits to the community house hosting the market.

Stampin up! does have a stamp set that would work for you.

I found this on the Australia site: http://www3.stampinup.com/ECWeb/Prod...oductID=122612

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 03:51 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks jeanstamping2, I have seen that one in the catalog but as I mentioned in my original post, I don't really want to purchase a whole stamp set when all I need is the copyright one - I wouldn't use the rest of the set (already have my own "Handmade by..." stamp).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

That's a very kind offer, Mamaxsix, thanks - however it would cost a bit to send these to Australia - I wonder if someone else in the US would be willing to take these off your hands, especially if they wanted the whole set? I also won't be making cards to sell all that often. But I really appreciate the offer
I could just peel one off its block and send it in a letter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I could just peel one off its block and send it in a letter.
That is so kind mamaxsix! I will PM you :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default "On-line" version of limited License "stamp"

I'm going to be selling my cards and want to create a label that includes my own Created By: then the SU licensing info. The policy says you can use an "on-line" version, but where is that "on-line" version??? Does that mean I can create my own copyright/license image?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if that refers to the old Digital Studio products? You used to be able to buy digi stamps from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 06:07 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
I wonder if that refers to the old Digital Studio products? You used to be able to buy digi stamps from them.
I don't think so. The entire text states the following: To help protect the rights granted by these copyrights, all items for sale using Stampin' Up! images must be marked with one of the images from the official Stampin' Up! Limited License stamp sets shown in the catalog, or the digital copyright image included in the My Digital Studio program, or available online.

So there's something else available "online"...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

It sounds like you have a generous offer from mamaxsix, but here is another thought:
You're buying stamps, so I'm guessing you have a demonstrator. Assuming she is nearby, ask if she has a copyright stamp that you can borrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Mamasix was helping out the person who originated this thread. I actually do have the copyright stamp, but was hoping to digitize my labels on the back of my cards that I'm selling. I may stamp the original labels and copy onto subsequent label sheets. Hopefully I can get it on straight :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykozView Post
Mamasix was helping out the person who originated this thread. I actually do have the copyright stamp, but was hoping to digitize my labels on the back of my cards that I'm selling. I may stamp the original labels and copy onto subsequent label sheets. Hopefully I can get it on straight :-)
I should have clarified. I was addressing the OP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Received 162 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancykozView Post
I don't think so. The entire text states the following: To help protect the rights granted by these copyrights, all items for sale using Stampin' Up! images must be marked with one of the images from the official Stampin' Up! Limited License stamp sets shown in the catalog, or the digital copyright image included in the My Digital Studio program, or available online.

So there's something else available "online"...
It might be referring to the fact that some stamp sets become available, but can only be found in the online store...they're not in any catalogue. There's currently one such set, called "I Stamped This". The catalogue set (Better than Email) is photopolymer; I Stamped This is wood- or clear-mount rubber.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I should have clarified. I was addressing the OP.
That original post is over a year old. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Didn't notice that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 PM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Digital limited license stamp

The original post is a year old, but I tagged onto it just last week. I think you are right, Lynnewithane ... it's probably referring to purchasing on-line, not a "digital" stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes