Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin UP

I am sorta thinking about becoming a Stampin Up rep... what I am asking from you ladies is to help with the pros and cons.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

To me personally there are NO cons! I signed up about two years ago more to support my hobby than make any money. I only have a handful of customers and don't make much money off my sales but I wanted the discount because I was spending the quarterly minimums on my own anyway so it just made sense. Now, if someday I decide I want to step it up and work hard, maybe I could make a little money or at least pay for my addiction....er hobby:-) I was SUO for the most part anyway because it helps me draw the line somewhere with my purchases. I have a bit of a shopping problem so to limit myself to one company helps. Plus, I had a hard time using what I bought from various companies and find that I'm actually MORE creative by being SUO and tend to use what I buy since it all "goes together". Honestly, if it would have been CTHM or something else I'd been introduced to, I'd probably be all about them but it was SU and I'm totally hooked!

I also signed up for some of the perks like access to SU publications and now the online community and the demo side here on SCS. I also love being able to get my stuff earlier than the public when we get a new catalog. I also like going to my meeting every month (when I don't have to work, boo) with my upline. If you're wanting that, make sure you get a very active and supportive upline!

It's not for everyone and you really need to think about what you want out of it and how much you can put into it. I have a full time job where I work 60+ hours sometimes so I KNEW I don't have the time to take it to the next level BUT I can should I choose or get a new job:-) I'm happy with my discount and holding the occasional event where I can teach and share my love of stamping with others and make new friends.

I don't mean to be a "cheerleader" as some will say but I really do love SU and am so happy that I joined. It's changed my life for the better for many reasons I won't get into and I've met some amazing people and am excited to go to convention this year and meet some of my wonderful online friends IN PERSON, yay!

Good luck with whatever you decide! And if you have more specific questions, ask away:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:37 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

First, what I consider cons. I don't know your history with direct sales. If you've never done direct sales, you need to think about that part first. Do you want to make this your career? Whether you choose SU or another DS company, you have to be willing to put in a lot of time to build and maintain your business. And, to advance, you have to constantly increase your customer base and downline. That would be my greatest con. And, I would say the same thing for any DS company. That is why I am a discount demo. If you love SU and just want to be a discount demo, do it. You have nothing to use.

I think SU's policies are good. You will find their detractors but you'll have that with anything. I have no problem abiding by their rules. Some areas are sometimes a little difficult, specifically not being able to sell current merchandise that you've bought on an impulse and wonder what you were thinking. But, I can wait until it retires or trade. So, it's okay.

I would suggest you find a couple of local demonstrators. (Be honest if you are talking to more than one.) Find out what kind of support and events they offer for their downline. Find out if they are willing to have you as a discount demo. (I've had someone actually dissuade me from signing with them for another company because I didn't really want to do demonstrations and recruit. That particular company has no minimums and you pay a fee to stay active. She wouldn't have made very much money with me.) If you are going to attempt to be a business demonstrator, your upline is a very important consideration, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use mainly SU products already, and spend a good amount of $ already, there's no downside to becoming a demo, in my opinion. You get a steep discount on the starter kit contents. Then you get another big discount on your first order within 45 days. Then you get an everyday discount on stuff you probably would have bought anyways. Then they just announced that you get a 15% discount on one item in your birthday month. Other than the starter kit purchase, everything else you purchase through end of March will qualify for Sale-a-Bration goodies. Plus you'll have until end of July to enjoy the benefits, if you don't make the sales minimum by then.

Have some family and/or friends over to make some cards with you. Don't think of it as a workshop. It sounds so formal and business like. Call it a stamping party. Introduce them to your hobby. Show them why you like SU's stuff. They may be tempted to order. Then maybe ask them if they would like to host a party. Who knows? It just might snowball from there. Or not. As long as you keep a good attitude about it, and make sure you have FUN, then I don't think there's much to worry about.

Take the demoship for a test drive. Consider it as a club you're joining. If you don't like it, you can just drop after July. You don't need to return anything. Everything is yours to keep.

Best wishes on making your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

I'm not trying to be a "cheerleader" either but I LOVE SU. I'm no longer a demo. because of up-line issues and you have to set out for 6 months to be able to sign up under someone else. I was a demo. for almost 2 years and as soon as Aug. 1st is here I'm signing back up. I'm still continuing classes and doing community events the only thing is I have to pay full price for my product which stinks, but that's how much I LOVE it. They are the best about returns and sometimes will give you extras for their mess ups.
Over all I think that it's a great company and can't wait to be a part of it again. That's just my 2 cents worth =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

First off, I am NOT a demo and have no desire to be. I am though, a very good customer! LOL I moved a year and 4 months ago (same county, different area) and was asked to join a stamp club by someone who knew I stamped. i did and I love it! We meet once a month (this Thursday) and you have to buy a minimum of $25. Anyway, I am just saying if you could find a few friends that would be willing to do this, you would make your quarterly minimum (and then some!) and make some money besides. Just an idea....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

How strict are the rles about using other stuff from other companies.. please dont get me wrong I love SU stuff but also at the same time I love all stmping products?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I'm not a demo, but I was thinking about being one and this is the reason I decided not to join - they don't want you to use other stuff, or if you are - you are not supposed to acknowledge it, even if it's things SU doesn't have (Copics, stickles...)
I got a letter from the blog I subscribed to couple days ago - the blog owner was a SU rep, but in her tutorials on her blog she used other things too and she listed them in her materials section - somebody told on her and SU asked her to either remove all non-SU items from her blog or quit being a demo. She chose the second option...

Quote:

Originally Posted by card_creationsView Post
How strict are the rles about using other stuff from other companies.. please dont get me wrong I love SU stuff but also at the same time I love all stmping products?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

that is a little strict though. I think you should be at least be allowed to list things they dont supply? Especially expecting you to use just their items. This is what I am worried aobut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #10  

Received 856 Likes on 282 Posts

You can use any stamping product you like for your personal stamping but SU asks that you demo only the product they sell. I am a demo and I have a few non-SU things that I sometimes use when I'm making a card for a friend or family member. I do not ever use "contraband" when I'm doing a workshop because the whole point of the workshop is to make money and if you are demoing other companies products that isn't going to make you very much money now is it? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I understand not promoting other products during a workshop... yes that would not make sense. But like if I post something on here I cannot say I used say "stickles" on a card if I am a Stampin Up Demo? PLus my blog I dont wanna used it for promoting Stampin Up I want to use it to share my work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I was a SU demo from 06-08 and I had to get out of it due to personal reasons, now that things have settled down I am thinking about getting back into it. I understand the rule about promoting other companies products. They don't want you to say you use this product from this company because then your customers will want that product and go to that company to buy it and they may find something that SU carries and decide to buy it there. I am going to sign back up with them in the next month or so. And even though I am not a SUO person I know that with my customers I have to be. I use other companies things for my own personal scrapbooks and stuff. It is just like any company. I work part time for a home improvement store and the bosses don't like us telling our customers that if they go to the other home improvement store it will be cheaper or they carry it over there. Sorry for the ramble.
I think SU is a great company to be affiliated with. And I hope you'd join just because you love their products and want to tell your family and friends about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:37 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's a customer's perspective: at a card demo, I don't want to see stuff that I can't buy from that company right then. I don't want to see some really cool product or tool that I'd have to go try to find somewhere else... I'm a lazy person and an easy sale: show me what you have that I can order right now and you have just made yourself some money...

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #14  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfly_junior_88View Post
Here's a customer's perspective: at a card demo, I don't want to see stuff that I can't buy from that company right then. I don't want to see some really cool product or tool that I'd have to go try to find somewhere else... I'm a lazy person and an easy sale: show me what you have that I can order right now and you have just made yourself some money...
LOL, maybe this is why all my friends invite me to their at home parties...for whatever they are selling, hahahaha!

If you invite me, I will buy:-)

BTW I LOVE your signature, hehe!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #15  

Quote:

I understand not promoting other products during a workshop... yes that would not make sense. But like if I post something on here I cannot say I used say "stickles" on a card if I am a Stampin Up Demo? PLus my blog I dont wanna used it for promoting Stampin Up I want to use it to share my work.
SU would prefer you just refer to non SU products by generic names. So, taking stickles for example you could say glitter glue. Now, SU may not sell stickles BUT we do offer glue and glitter so it's basically the same. Now, if it's some sort of product we don't offer at all or nothing we have can be used in the same manner, you're ok....trying to think of a good example but I've been sick and at work for over 10 hours today...brain = fried! And things like alterable items are totally fine as well.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
LOL, maybe this is why all my friends invite me to their at home parties...for whatever they are selling, hahahaha!

If you invite me, I will buy:-)

BTW I LOVE your signature, hehe!
Thanks, Minders!!

I've got a whole shelf full of Tastefully Simple... AND I DON'T FRIGGIN COOK!!!

A whole stash of Mary Kay and I don't wear makeup.

Some Longaberger baskets. I can't believe I paid that much money for baskets.

And I have way more Miche purse shells than any one woman (who is not a demo) should...

I had a prior engagement the night of the jewelry party. And for the friend who does Avon, I only buy stuff for my daughter and nail polish for me. Any more would be a total waste...

(And the friend who used to invite me to all those parties finally moved away with the military, so I don't feel obligated to say yes anymore! Thank you, Dear Lord!)

Since I AM so OCD, I have a hard time not having all of a set. Can I have just one color of a particular style of thing? Nooooooo! Give me that in zebra-stripes with bright green accents! Luckily, the zebra-stripe thing was just an exaggerated example, but that IS how I ended up with every single color of the stampin round ink cartridges. Ask me how many have been opened. I dare you. :lol:

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably totally in the minority here, but I did not find being a demo was worth my while. Having to keep current items and supply my own materials for workshops cost money and the 20% "instant income" just did not put me very far ahead, if at all.
Another thing to think about is if you already have a lot of supplies, you may not be able to use them if they are not the SU brand. I already have a great pink and black Big Shot so I wasn't about to buy another SU brand one just to be able to use it in front of other people. Also, I personally can't bring myself to pay more for an item than I need to and I found the prices to be a bit higher. I do see the perspective that if you buy from SU you get the support of the demo, but my $60 Big Shot works just as well as the $100 SU one.
If you know a lot of people who are into stamping it would be very beneficial for your sales. One of my problems is that I live in a small town and know a lot of people. So anyone I talked to about SU was on friendly enough terms, even if they were a friend of a freind, to just say, "oh, I'll just come over and use your stamps sometime!" Not helpful to sales. LOL!
I have to say I was pretty disappointed in how my experience turned out because I was very excited about being a demo. I think it might have been easier if I didn't already work full-time. Then I would have had more time to focus on it. Also, I'm not about to have complete strangers in my home, so advertising on Craigslist or something similar to gain customers who I didn't already know was out of the question.
I'm sorry, I mean no disrespect to SU at all. This was just my personal situation of it. There are obviously many other ladies who are very succuessful at this so it definitely can be done.
I wish you luck in whatever you decide!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I have never been a SU! demo. BUT I used to be a Pampered Chef Consultant. Key words: USED to be. For ME direct sales is a no go. I hate being in front of everyone speaking. I hate having everyone watching me. I thought that PC would help me get over that. It didn't. I will say a strong supportive up line is key if you want it to be a real business. I play with the idea all the time about joining SU! just for the discount. I always seem to give it up when I ask myself to be realistic. In 1 year do I go through $1200 of cardstock? No. Do I love their stamps and punches enough to drown myself in them? Not really. I have decided that I want to be smart in my choices and not limit myself to 1 company. I buy from a small hand full. Like under 10. I order what appeals to me. Too many of SU!'s stamps are just not my style. When I flip through a mini, I want to feel that overwhelimg urge to buy everything. Lately I have a hard time filling the online basket to make a full party.

It is ultimately a question only YOU can answer. But to me it comes down to:
1) What do you want out of it? Business or discount
2) What are you willing to put in to it? both money, time and effort
3) Can you really afford it? I only put that in because I was unrealistic about the last 2 and this question brought me to my senses. About 2 years too late I might add. My kitchen is covered in Pamered Chef! It's a good thing I like to cook.

Good luck in your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Is there anything in particular to know if I'm interested in becoming a demo just for the discount? I assume I need to be up front with whatever demo I sign up under...

Anything else?

How about taxes? Do I have to pay taxes at the end of the year for 'selling' stuff to myself?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Is there anything in particular to know if I'm interested in becoming a demo just for the discount? I assume I need to be up front with whatever demo I sign up under...

Anything else?

How about taxes? Do I have to pay taxes at the end of the year for 'selling' stuff to myself?
Technically you don't sell to yourself. You get a discount. You sell to others and get commission. I'm totally clueless when it comes to taxes, so I'd better not open my big mouth.

I joined as hobby demo. I would have to say the dangerous thing is when you are allowed access to demo-only sites and message boards, you may get enabled to purchase some items that you otherwise may not have. Uh... it's good or bad, depends on how you look at it! I signed up in November. Just had a workshop yesterday with some friends. Had an awesome workshop, over $1000 (totally unexpected). I totally met the minimum for this quarter, and Sale-a-Bration just started.

Personally, I don't see a downside to trying it out. If you don't meet your minimum, you just get dropped. What's the harm in that?

GL with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:27 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfly junior 88View Post
This is totally true for me too. I love it that my demo is totally and strictly SUO. My nesties and a few EF are about all I have that aren't SU, so it's working at least in regards to my purchases from her.

One thing about any direct sales - you have to have a passion for what you're selling and be willing to work to make it work. I've sold Pampered Chef for years and can attest that you'll get out of your business exactly what you put into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:37 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Anything else?

You claim your commission on your taxes....you don't get a commish on personal sales. I've been in direct sales for 10-12 yrs. I keep a spread sheet of my sales info, in that is a column for my commish (from outside sales). You'd be surprised what you can deduct but dont get in it for the tax bennies.

I've been in SU! three times and finally have an active upline...BIG BIG difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Cardcreations, below is a link to a blog you might be interested in reading

Andrea Walford, Stampin' Up! Project Ideas

Please do not shoot the messenger here. I love SU products. I however do not like what happened here.

I just posted it because it pertained to the conversation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gracey'sgirlView Post
Cardcreations, below is a link to a blog you might be interested in reading

Andrea Walford, Stampin' Up! Project Ideas

Please do not shoot the messenger here. I love SU products. I however do not like what happened here.

I just posted it because it pertained to the conversation.
Please remember you are only getting one side of the story here and all demos sign an agreement where we will not promote competing products, which totally makes sense business wise both for us and SU. There was a lot of promotion of competing products on the site.

SU is not a big bad evil controlling company. Please do not base any rash decisions on this ONE example.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

One thing to keep in mind as a strictly "hobby" demo is that even if one doesn't wish to be a powerhouse seller, the contract is still the same for everybody. SU pays demos to demo their products. Since they are paying, it's reasonable for them to expect that demos do not promote "other" product.

According to the demo agreement, "incidental and casual use" of other product is fine. For example, if I wanted to post a project on my blog (if I had one, that is...) that included other product, I am allowed to post those products by name. However, if I were to post a series of videos actually demonstrating how to use those other products, say, Copic markers, then I've moved past "incidental use" and gone well into promoting a competing product. Does that make sense? SU is paying me to demonstrate SU markers and it's only reasonable for them to expect to get their money's worth.

Or, in another example, if I were to post a video actually comparing SU markers to another brand of waterbased markers, and then actually stated in the video that I preferred the other markers, should SU feel it fair that I've accepted money to promote their product and then didn't? And then, in addition to that, should they feel it fair that I also go on to tell viewers to NOT purchase SU product but to take a coupon and go down to a competitor's store?

Mind you, SU doesn't tell people what to like or dislike. They do reserve the right to expect that people who accept payment for demoing their product do just that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
One thing to keep in mind as a strictly "hobby" demo is that even if one doesn't wish to be a powerhouse seller, the contract is still the same for everybody. SU pays demos to demo their products. Since they are paying, it's reasonable for them to expect that demos do not promote "other" product.

According to the demo agreement, "incidental and casual use" of other product is fine. For example, if I wanted to post a project on my blog (if I had one, that is...) that included other product, I am allowed to post those products by name. However, if I were to post a series of videos actually demonstrating how to use those other products, say, Copic markers, then I've moved past "incidental use" and gone well into promoting a competing product. Does that make sense? SU is paying me to demonstrate SU markers and it's only reasonable for them to expect to get their money's worth.

Or, in another example, if I were to post a video actually comparing SU markers to another brand of waterbased markers, and then actually stated in the video that I preferred the other markers, should SU feel it fair that I've accepted money to promote their product and then didn't? And then, in addition to that, should they feel it fair that I also go on to tell viewers to NOT purchase SU product but to take a coupon and go down to a competitor's store?

Mind you, SU doesn't tell people what to like or dislike. They do reserve the right to expect that people who accept payment for demoing their product do just that.
I totally get what you are saying. Agreed.

I would actually like to meet the stamper/demo that makes a living selling SU products. Are not the demos the also the customers of SU?

I think what bothered me about this incident is that someone called SU to "tell" on her and out came the SU police. It is not a homeland security issue we are dealing with here folks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #27  

I joined about 4 years ago and absolutely LOVE it still! My husband said the starter kit was the best money he's ever spent on me! (And right now for joining there are some great specials too!)

The great thing is, you can join and even if you don't like it, you can drop out with no consequences at all. I really don't think there are any cons either (unless you have a bunch of non-Stampin' Up! stuff - you won't be able to demonstrate that and there are some guidelines about stuff you post in your blog)

I think it's totally worth the discount, because you're getting products you LOVE. There's lots of support to help with ideas to grow your business and the company is EXCELLENT to work for! I love being able to pay for my hobby and earn extra money too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

well ladies... this is all giving me so much to look at. I am not so sure I can give up using all my other products... I love my cricut, cuttlebug, stickles, nesties and Especially Copics! I have trouble with the fact that even if I am a hobby demo I "shouldnt" be using other products. Like if I worked at Walmart I couldnt shop at Zellers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

that's exactly why I decided against joining... but I know some hobby demos, who have their own little blogs and post anything on them, BUT on the other hand they do not advertise that they are demos on their blogs...

Quote:

well ladies... this is all giving me so much to look at. I am not so sure I can give up using all my other products... I love my cricut, cuttlebug, stickles, nesties and Especially Copics! I have trouble with the fact that even if I am a hobby demo I "shouldnt" be using other products. Like if I worked at Walmart I couldnt shop at Zellers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

One thing I learned from the recent turn of events is, posting pictures on my own blog, using a few non-SU products, is okay. But when you DEMO, which I guess video would be considered demoing, you should use all SU. It only makes sense, right? Why would you show something they can't get from you? Wouldn't it be a waste of your time to demo something and then tell them to go elsewhere to get it?

$0.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

well, I guess, I'm not the right type for business ;) I post on my blog because I want to share my creations with others, not because I want to sell them something I'm using.
I guess, it's different when you're a demo - then you have to create and post to sell - I think that would be too limiting for me and the hobby would turn into a job... and I wouldn't like that at all ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemycardsView Post
One thing I learned from the recent turn of events is, posting pictures on my own blog, using a few non-SU products, is okay. But when you DEMO, which I guess video would be considered demoing, you should use all SU. It only makes sense, right? Why would you show something they can't get from you? Wouldn't it be a waste of your time to demo something and then tell them to go elsewhere to get it?

$0.02
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Betsy, thanks for explaining the SU policy, I'm considering signing up, for the starter kit and freebies but also for the discount and sale-a-bration goodies. Heck, if after three months I don't/can't buy/spend the minimum for each month, no harm done and if in the future I want to do it again, I can, no penalty. I find that the only stamps I'm using anyway are my SU stamps and I like the fact that EVERYTHING coordinates, I'm tired of running all over town to try and find paper, ribbon, embellishments, etc. the go together and look well together too. Or if my ink pad runs dry than I have to buy a new one instead of being able to re-ink it.

Just my take on this subject, thanks for helping me make a decision!!!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #33  

Mary, I'm the same way, I like the way everything just goes together with little effort (running around town to find just the right shade, etc....) on my part:-) Some people like that "creative" side of it but it's not me....I'd rather be creating, hehe.

Alicaz, just wanted to point out again, as others have said, that they aren't against occasional and incidental use on projects and blogs. You can use whatever you want but they don't want you promoting it, raving on and on about it, or linking to a place to buy it. Chances are you'd be fine in your posting. But, it's easy for me since I'm SU only by my own choosing...and I was suo BEFORE I became a demo...which was one of the reasons I decided to sign up. It's not for everyone! But I love it and I'm sad I didn't get to stamp one little bit this weekend!!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
Betsy, thanks for explaining the SU policy, I'm considering signing up, for the starter kit and freebies but also for the discount and sale-a-bration goodies. Heck, if after three months I don't/can't buy/spend the minimum for each month, no harm done and if in the future I want to do it again, I can, no penalty. I find that the only stamps I'm using anyway are my SU stamps and I like the fact that EVERYTHING coordinates, I'm tired of running all over town to try and find paper, ribbon, embellishments, etc. the go together and look well together too. Or if my ink pad runs dry than I have to buy a new one instead of being able to re-ink it.

Just my take on this subject, thanks for helping me make a decision!!!
Well, let me be the first to wish you good luck, Mary, lol! Sounds like you have a good understanding of how it works. It really is a lot of fun! And let me tell you, there are a ton of demos who started out just for fun that later found themselves building great businesses for themselves. You just never know...;)

For myself, I am a very part-time demo. I have a few customers that I'm very grateful for, and that's it. Between my purchases and theirs, I make my minimums and that's about it. I earn my basic discount plus some months even a bit of commission over and above that. There's room for all of us, big hitters and small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

so if I wasnt promoting SU on my blog I could post what I wanted? Sorry for allthe questions I just really want to make an educated decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

so if I wasnt promoting SU on my blog I could post what I wanted? Sorry for allthe questions I just really want to make an educated decision.
Be careful. It doesn't matter if you have a personal blog that you pay for, or use a SU website. In the eyes of SU, you are a SU rep, and you cannot promote other companies, period. You can use other products occasionally, but no naming names or providing info on where to shop for those items, etc.

To make life easier, I think it's best if you just commit to being SUonly if you decide on becoming a demo. That way, you are not treading into the grey area where others (as mentioned in this thread) got burned.

I was an SU demo for more than seven years, but when the new Independent Demonstrator Agreement came out, I realized I'd have a hard time staying in compliance, and so I left. No hard feelings. My craft supplies are probably about 75% SU and 25% other. If I ever became a demo again, I think I'd just be SUO. There are many demos that do this, and their work is still fabulous and uncompromised by the limitations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Regarding compliance, I had to add one more thing.

There are a LOT of demos out there that are not in compliance regarding the new IDA. They are on other design teams, promoting other companies on their blogs, and for all intents and purposes, you wouldn't even know that they are SU demos...except for one thing. They manage to get the new product before the general public.

Rules are rules, and they should apply to everyone, no matter if you are a big fish or a little fish in the pond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

To SU, if you're a demo (regardless if it's big-time business or buying for yourself only for the discount), you're THEIR demo 24-7. If you mention you're a demo or not, they don't want you doing anything that they view as "promotion" of any non-SU products or sites. Unfortunately, it's pretty much up to individuals at SU to decide what they view as "promotion". It seems to differ in each case - no consistant policy. They also do little to really police their own policies - that's whay so many high profile demos have some things on their blogs that you'd think wouldn't be allowed.

So, even if you didn't say anywhere on your blog that you were associated with SU at all, you still couldn't post whatever and however you wanted on your blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
To SU, if you're a demo (regardless if it's big-time business or buying for yourself only for the discount), you're THEIR demo 24-7. If you mention you're a demo or not, they don't want you doing anything that they view as "promotion" of any non-SU products or sites. Unfortunately, it's pretty much up to individuals at SU to decide what they view as "promotion". It seems to differ in each case - no consistant policy. They also do little to really police their own policies - that's whay so many high profile demos have some things on their blogs that you'd think wouldn't be allowed.

So, even if you didn't say anywhere on your blog that you were associated with SU at all, you still couldn't post whatever and however you wanted on your blog.
Yes, unfortunately, this is the case. SU does not seem to show any consistency in their compliance regulations. Either that, or they just don't have the manpower to spend tracking down the demos who are flagrantly ignoring the very contracts they signed. I should think that an SU person could spend one day on SCS just hitting links to blogs, and they'd come up with a hundred demos daily who are noncompliant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

well I dont think that I could go SUO.... II just dont think I could give up all the other fabulous products too. Thank all you ladies with this decision. It is a very hard one to make. But I am not so sure te discount right now worth giving everything else up. Dont get me wrong I love SU but I also love everything else.
Reply With Quote Likes