Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Stampin Space questions

OK, so when we bought the house, as soon as I saw the basement I had dreams. These dreams have been replaced with a tv you can see from space (seriously, who needs this?) and 3000 feet of Thomas train tracks....so I move once again, but this time I am coming up out of the basement entirely!

We have a den off the dining room that has been DH's "man room" with the fireplace, big ugly chair and giant desk flanked by bookcases. Now that we are moving the treadmil into a more user friendly space, I am scooting up to the "man room"
1) off the rest of the main floor and steps from the dining room table, awesome
2) better light, more comfy
3) near his desk/him/this computer

However....as you will see in the attached photos, I have a bunch of stuff to move up here and am unsure about how to go about it and have it still look nice.

So far all I came up with was
1) using my grandma's vanity for my desk (like the girl version of his desk)
2) condensing the "wall stuff" I have downstairs
3) Using the bottom 2 shelves of each of his bookcases for baskets of my stuff

so....here are a few posts worth of photos, imput/opinions/ideas harsh words or not...very welcome! Thanks all!!!!

first 3 are the stuff I have downstairs (messy, I know) and the space (and big man chair) that I will be taking over.....
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-002.jpg   Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-003.jpg   Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-005.jpg  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

next three are the shelves on either side of DH's desk that I can put something on, they are pretty deep and will hold pretty large baskets or something that won't make it look not too terrible... and the vanity ( I will be getting a piece of glass for the top of it) It isn't deep, but it is old and I love the idea of it being more than a place for the radion and my "unmentionables" :oops:
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-007.jpg   Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-008.jpg   Stampin Space questions-furniture-moving-009.jpg  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:55 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, those shelves will be great for your stamp sets! And the drawers in the vanity will be nice if you can find small boxes to fit inside so you can group things like small bottles together in them. Then you can just take one box at a time out as you need it. Think EP's, glitters, adhesives, etc.

Don't forget the walls...if you hang a piece of pegboard or something like it, you'll be amazed at how much can go on there. And the side of the big shelving unit...maybe you could hang something down from the top like a shoe holder or something to hold things. how fun, getting a new space to play in!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Maybe you can install some shelves and add some baskets to store and hide your stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Your vanity is really nice but it looks like the surface area is not too large. I would try not to put much on top of it so you have plenty of workspace. Maybe you could find something on rollers that you could pull up to the side of your vanity when you are working that has lots of drawers for all the small tools, ink pads, etc. and space on top for your paper cutter. I would put lesser used stuff on the shelves marked clearly on the outside of the container to be able to find stuff. I know if I have something put away I will forget about it and never use it.

Have fun and post pictures when you get it all done. I love to see how others have organized their space.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks all....been up thinking about it most of the night (ok, it is 730, so I suppose that is actually all night) got all the laundry done though. :-|
Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Could you perhaps have some tool on the beautiful vanity desk? Perhaps have your paper trimmer, die cut machine etc-thing we don't need right by us when we assemble our cards etc? I always wish i had another surface just for messy stuff even-inking or maybe this could be the final assembly point so no excess glitter, glue ink etc and if clean then no need to cover the beautiful top.

Shelves as others said great for stamps, papers etc. I have SCS and other tutorials in folders and they are in shelves similar to yours, paper in boxes too etc.

I did see a great workplace once where the lady had her heat gun etc in a drawer by where she worked so she could stay seated. It was plugged in somehow, she just opened the drawer and lifted it out as required.

I actually keep all my inks in one plastic 'tool box' that sits on a shelf and when i need them I then have them all in one place. I have another with embossing stuff in including heat gun. using containers that are functional too make alot of difference time wise etc.

Good luck-keep us informed as this seems so exciting!! Lucky you, a whole new craft space and not all plasticy-beautiful furniture-it'll be lovely I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Congratulations on your new craft space.

FWIW - I think the very first thing you should do is sort and organize what you have in the basement. That way, you'll know EXACTLY what you have, how much and can visualize where it should go in your new space. Especially if you plan to purchase or re-purpose existing storage containers, etc.

My space is in our finished basement. You can see pictures in my gallery here . I use bookshelves to store my stamp sets.

You might consider one of those pampered chef tool turnabouts on your stamping desk for frequently used tools. If the 'footprint' of your space is small, consider going vertical as much as you can.

Have fun and can't wait to see picures when you are all moved 'up'!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

What about using a mailbox type of shelf hung on the wall just above your vanity so that you can place alot of the little stuff, and if it is hung on the wall it is off of your vanity you could also put a light under the shelf so that you have extra lite on your work area. Is there room to put a filing cabinet in the room, close to your work area for your papers and some of your stamp sets or other things that you can think of to put into it. I would try and think of things that will still help keep it looking office like but that will hold your craft items, I know that my DH appreciates that about the craft/computer room that we have. I have it so that it is functional for my crafting needs but also so that it isn't too girly so that he can be comfortable when he comes in here to use the computer, I figure that it is only fair considering he has let me have my own space to work in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I agree with the sorting and organizing before or while moving. I also suggest going to vertical storage for your papers. I got those plastic magazine storage things for my 8.5x11 and the 12x12 ones by cropper hopper I think? I was AMAZED how much less space they take up.

I moved my stamp room from my guest room to my fully enclosed/finished sun room-more like a family room a year or so ago. I love it! Full of natural light. I just throw a bath towel over my cardstock so it doesn't fade. I also have a 5ft. folding table I can put up on the fly if necessary and it fits right over the coffee table, making a L from the 8ft hard table.

Here's pics. The furniture is my husbands from his room at his mom's. It's a desk/hutch, then 2 side dressers with hutches.

We had satellite run out there so DH or DD could watch tv while I did my thing.
Sad part is I went back to work in Feb, got out of the groove of crafting. I hope to get going again cuz I really do have a workable space now.
Pic one is from the patio door, to the right of the shelves is the door to the LRoom.
Pic two is from the door to the Lroom.
Pic three is the other side of the room from the door to the lroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin Space questions-stamparea.jpg   Stampin Space questions-view1.jpg   Stampin Space questions-enter.jpg  

Last edited by StampinChrissylea; 11-10-2008 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Pic description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Years ago, as the stamping stuff began taking over more than a couple of drawers, I decided a major organization was needed. I cleared off most of the floor space and started making piles: embossing, paper, stamp pads, pens, and so forth. Once I had finished piles to look at I had a much better idea of what would be needed to hold them and which areas were growing fastest.

The paneling is dark; so come up with lots of light for working. If you don't plan on putting tons of holes into it, you probably need bookcase shelves for organizing. A file cabinet can help a lot. The table is pretty small; it might be better for holding a trimmer or Cricut or whatever.

How many stampers get to have their own fireplace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I understand where your at. I just had to give up my room which was my dining room. I had to move a whole room worth of stuff to a 6 ft wide space in my bedroom. can you say nightmare???? I have had to get rid of a lot of things, which is probably good in the long run. I wish you luck.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing I've learned is that my needs change so I'm big on adjustable storage. It's hard to know if a layout or piece of furniture will really work out for your stamping needs. I use adjustable shelves instead of cabinets. I love the look of cabinets, but I can change them and for me, if it's out of sight I wont use it.

Here are some pics of my shelving in my little piece of heaven
-1Tees_stamp_room2_by_stamphappy1650 by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
One thing I've learned is that my needs change so I'm big on adjustable storage. It's hard to know if a layout or piece of furniture will really work out for your stamping needs. I use adjustable shelves instead of cabinets. I love the look of cabinets, but I can change them and for me, if it's out of sight I wont use it.

Here are some pics of my shelving in my little piece of heaven
-1Tees_stamp_room2_by_stamphappy1650 by stamphappy1650 at Splitcoaststampers
Holy smokes are you organized!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love to have my own room....but until I get one, I am stuck in the kitchen...however I have learned what I *need* when I do get my own space! I LOVE the table in the middle at counter height...I would do this in a small room if at all possible...or at least counters along the side at normal counter height. It's so much easier to get in an out and stand and *stare* at a project at that level and grab more supplies. I do know that I need enough room to leave all the big tools out ALWAYS or I won't use them. Like my Cuttlebug and piles of folders fit in the tall dresser in the corner, but I tend to skip embossing on one little project rather than pull it out of the drawer. Same with heat embossing...I don't dare put the gun away, or it won't get used. It's the same with my Cricut...it's banished to the laundry room, which is around the corner, but I forget to use it...out of sight, out of mind! I highly prefer open shelves for the same reasons, because all the tools, embellishments and stamps stored in my bookshelves are used way more than the stuff stored in the dresser!

So...if you read this far...here are a couple of pics to get an idea how it's set up....if it was an out-of-the way room, I would add a counter along one wall for: Trimmer, Cricut, Revolution, CB, & ScorPal and never have to put them away! And the table wouldn't have to be so big! And of course just two stools...the chairs get in the way! But...it's my kitchen!! Yep we spend many nights eating at the bar or the coffee table.
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin Space questions-nikon080.jpg   Stampin Space questions-nikon084.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a custom desk made, but I also have some other spots for organization, too! I have peg boards that I purchased on mega sale at Pottery Barn Kids. Here are the pics:

Supply storage by nabush at Splitcoaststampers
My new crafting desk/craft room by nabush at Splitcoaststampers
Cubbies in craft desk (right side) by nabush at Splitcoaststampers
Cubbies in craft desk (left side) by nabush at Splitcoaststampers

Good luck!!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

UGH...you have done well!!! I took over the master bedroom after our last child left for college; and it's stuffed full! I truly need a professional to come help me!!! I have even searched for one on the internet, with no luck. The closest one is hundreds of miles away. I have a ton of awesome supplies, but am still struggling to get them put where they should be. I also have LOTS of containers, baskets, buckets, etc....I just need a BIGGER space! But I know I have a lot more space then lots of people, and must NOT complain!!! ACK! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

still working on the organizing part before I start moving furniture ( the vanity is in my bedroom 2 floors up)

but it's funny. when I started thie "inexpensive little hobby" we were in a small apartment and I had a shelf in the closet with a tote bag, I would spread out on the kitchen table when I wanted to play..... amazing.