Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2005, 10:21 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stampin' Scrub Making Stamps Dirty

I have been having a problem with my Stampin' Scrub pads. When I clean off my stamps, they all have a residue of ink on them. To get it off, I have to rub the stamps on scrap paper, which sort of defeats the purpose of using the scrub pad. I have washed the pads before and I still have the problem. I even resorted to buying replacement pads, but I am still having the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution? It is very frustrating and I am afraid I am going to ruin some of my lighter stamp ink pads by getting this residue on them. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is going to happen because the ink from the stamp has to go someplace. I always stamp off on a piece of scrap paper. Another way to limit the amount of ink that goes on the stampin scrub is to spritz the stamp with water and then stamp on a piece of paper towel then spritz again and clean on the stampin scrub. I throw my scrub in the dishwasher or rinse often with hot soapy water and then plain water. That's the best I can offer!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2005, 05:25 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
this is going to happen because the ink from the stamp has to go someplace. I always stamp off on a piece of scrap paper. Another way to limit the amount of ink that goes on the stampin scrub is to spritz the stamp with water and then stamp on a piece of paper towel then spritz again and clean on the stampin scrub. I throw my scrub in the dishwasher or rinse often with hot soapy water and then plain water. That's the best I can offer!!!
I do pretty much the same thing. I keep an old terry dishtowel by my Stampin Scrub and, after first stamping off on paper, run the stamp over the terry towel before finishing up the cleaning on the Stampin scrubber. For the larger background stamps I too spritz directly on the rubber, run it over the terry towel first, then over the Stampin' Scrubber. After stamping, I pop out the dirty scrubber pad and wash it in warm water with Dawn (or any equivalent) and let it air dry. I know many others swear by putting it in the dishwasher, but for some goofy reason on my part I just can't bring myself to try that.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I have this problem with the "other coloured stamps"...like hostess sets and SAB sets...I use a baby wipe to get those clean & like the other ladies have said, I try to keep my scrubber clean...that seems to help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

um....not to be rude...but do you clean it? I take the pads out and run them under water and run my fingers over it vigorously...then sometimes I use a bit of dish soap too. I do this several times (the water part) about once a week or really once a month....when it gets pretty gross!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2005, 06:32 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I've actually got the same problem. I wash mine very frequently and it still leaves a residue - so now I just use baby wipes - they're just as easy and fast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will try washing the pads in the dishwasher tonight and then will make a point of getting excess ink off of the stamps before I use the scrubbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 07:45 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Craft ink, chalk ink and versamark are the biggest culprits - so always clean my stamps off on a baby wipe after using these type inks. For really badly stained stamps - use Awsome Cleaner (found mine in the dollar store) with an old wash cloth or t-shirt, and an old toothbrush to get into the grooves, then clean with mist on the scrubber. Boy do they come clean!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 07:47 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayvic
Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I will try washing the pads in the dishwasher tonight and then will make a point of getting excess ink off of the stamps before I use the scrubbers.
Don't forget to turn the dry heat OFF - or the pads will warp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 08:20 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I read on another thread to use Shout or other stain removal spray. I tried that last week and it worked wonderfully. First, I washed it with soap & water, then I put the shout on and waited about 10 minutes and rinsed it off with water. My stamps don't have that purplish residue anymore.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Bleach 'em baby!! They may turn a bit gray after awhile, but I swear, they are super clean. I don't bleach mine each time I clean my scrubber pads, but every couple months I do it. In between I use shout or 409 or whatever bathroom cleaner I have handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I soak 'em in OxiClean for a few minutes (read that here a few months ago actually) and then SOAK THEM IN FRESH WATER before rinsing, because the first time I did it not all the OxiClean came out.....when I sprayed the pad with Stampin'Mist and started scrubbing...I had scrubbing bubbles! LOL!! So now I soak them a few minutes before rinsing them the way Emily described.....I've had the same set of stampin' scrub pads since July of last year! The only "problem" I've found is that red inks dye the black fabric. Does NOT affect it's ability to clean the stamps though!

HTH!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

I read this post this morning - and I thought it was odd b/c I love my stamping scrub, it cleans my stamps better than anything else I have tried.

I did some stamping this afternoon and paid attention to my stamping scrub process:

1. I stamp off the excess ink so I am not putting too much ink on the scrub pad.
2. I wash on the left and dry on the right.
3. I mist cleaner frequently.
4. I clean my stamps as I go, if I let them sit too long they are harder to clean.
5. I rock the stamps a bit to get the edges.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

For me the key points are:

-stamp off
-designate one area or corner for gummier inks (craft, chalk, etc.)
-wash or thoroughly rinse the scrub after each stamping session
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 04:37 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default dirty stamps

I 1/2 solved this problem. When I stamp I go goofy stamping a lot of cards and such. I now an the proud owner of 2 stamp scrubbers. While one is being used the other one is waiting to be used. When I ued the Stazon and basic black and red these tend to stain a lot. Just take extra care with what you stamp where! Use the side that is printed "scrub" for scrubbing, and the other side for "drying". Hope this helps! Taishea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was having the same problem even with stamping on scrap paper to get as much ink off as possible, only using the bottom of the scrub pad (if open) for cleaning & the top section for drying. My versa mark pad looks awful but still works. I was rinsing it under hot water with soap & still was leaving "dirty" stamps. What I did was pop out the pads (had to use a butter knife for the bottom one) & I thought will if I ruin it oh well I have to have buy a new one anyway. I put it in the dishwasher for part of the first cycle. My dishwasher is set on really hot so the pads did warp a little & took a little bit to get the bottom pad back in (tight squeeze to begin with). Now it's like brand new without all the fuzzy lint as I called it. Missi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 06:21 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger_Hockey
I read on another thread to use Shout or other stain removal spray. I tried that last week and it worked wonderfully. First, I washed it with soap & water, then I put the shout on and waited about 10 minutes and rinsed it off with water. My stamps don't have that purplish residue anymore.
Thanks for the hint. I've been having the same problem and I use Versamark quite a bit. I'm trying the Shout now! I hope I have the same good results you got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

Default Re: Scrubber

When you run your scrubber in the dishwasher does any of the dried
ink get onto other things? or do you run only it by itself in there?

Mine really looks sad:(

Jenny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

thanks for the tips ladies. I was beginning to have trouble with my Stampin Scrub and was thinking of ordering the replacement pads to go in it! I hadn't even thought about trying to take the dirty one out and washing it!!! Thank you sooo much!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same problem

thought maybe mine was defective. Guess I just should take the pads out and try the oxiclean first. All I have is the liquid kind, think that will still work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 07:33 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

For Stazon, I actually use the stazon cleaner on my stampin scrub, let it sit and then wash with soap and water, I have also used bleach, oxy clean, and various other cleaners. I still hate the new black scrubber pads and still have a really ancient white one which I think works better, but looks bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 01:53 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

oh wow. I never even thought about using cleaner on my stamps! lol I've always just taken out my scrubs and washed it with a sponge and regular soap.

*Everyone has an important contribution to make in life. It's just a matter of discovering it.*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very first time I used my stampin' scrub, it left my stamps all dark and dirty looking. I had already stamped off the ink until I didn't see any print left on the paper, then I scrubbed the stamp. After scrubbing, it was darker and dirtier looking than when I had ink on it!. It kept doing it, so I bleached them. The bleach water I soaked them in was a dark color - and it wasn't because of the ink I had used either. I don't know if it was from the manufacturing process or what, but they were dirty when I got them. Now that I've bleached them, my stamps don't come off the pad dirtier than when they went on it.
Reply With Quote Likes