Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Stampin' room

For Christmas my hubby got me 8 of the white craft system boxes from Target! I just finished putting them together! I can't wait to organize..lol

Stamping is as sweet as chocolate!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

WOW!! Lucky you!! We've been in the building process (of a new home) for over a year (long story...but will be done in a few months) and I am DIEING to have my stamp room all done!

then I have to make a special trip to the states and find a target to get those boxes- love them!! The only ones I find similar here are like $40 a box!

Oh to have a finished dream stamp room..... one day soon!! I HOPE!!!

Oh Bother - Winnie the Pooh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Can you post a picture? I have been eyeing those and would love to see them put together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love those boxes, too. I saw them a week or so before Christmas, and I keep thinking about them. Do they look as good put together as they do in the picture at Target? They look so cool in the picture, but I've had some bad experiences with prefab furniture and usually try to avoid it. Target is usually better quality than some stores, though, so it might be fine.

I was thinking about using the picture and having my DH build it for me...He does good work, but there are two problems-- first, it might never get finished (like so many of our home improvement projects) and second, I don't know if he could make filing cabinets, etc. like Target offers.

Do the filing cabinets have space for hanging file folders? That's how I store my CS now, so if that's the case, I might just have to go buy them.

TIA for the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I had seen the Target cubes before I had my dh build my desk. However I did aquire the 4 drawer cube and have to say that I absolutely love it. It is very sturdy and is perfect for storing cards, A2 envelopes, images, etc. Here is a photo from the stampin' spaces in the gallery that might be of some inspiration:

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

There are some more but this is one that I had in my favorites. I had heard that the Target cubes were on sale recently for $20, don't know if the sale is still on. I'm thinking of getting the 4 shelf cubes to store my paper next.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetstamper06
For Christmas my hubby got me 8 of the white craft system boxes from Target! I just finished putting them together! I can't wait to organize..lol
Sorry, meant to say, also, lucky you! Have fun putting them together and coming up with a great configuration and awesome storage.

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to neverenuffstamps

I have some of the Crop In Style cubes and some of the Target/AC Moore cubes. I like them both, but like the CIS cubes a little better. The main reason is that the ones that Target and AC Moore sell are not true cubes. One dimension is a little off, so you can only put the opening, or drawers, in one direction. The CIS cubes are a little bigger too, so you can fit larger items. The other thing I have noticed is that the Target cubes are MAJORLY outgassing! My husband can't even stand to come in my craft room.

As I said, I have them both and like them both. My main storage wall is done in CIS cubes, and I made my double-sided desk from the Target ones.

Happy organizing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just saw the cubes at target tonight (no valentine mail boxes though) and was really loving the system! Wow. And our cubes were like 24 each or some close amount. Lucky You!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

It looks wonderful. You are a very lucky wife and stamper!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:48 AM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Target cubes are on sale this week for $20 each
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know if these Target cubes work with the Store in Style ones? They look like the same thing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by basurok
Anyone know if these Target cubes work with the Store in Style ones? They look like the same thing. ;)
Check out neverenuffstamps post-- or pm her. Since she has both, she might know if they work together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Anyone have a picture, please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

OH-- can't believe I forgot this before I hit the post button. My DH and I just went to Target and bought 8 of the cubes!! I'm so excited. I'm super anxious to get them put together, but it's a nice day, and he really wanted to go on a motorcycle ride-- I figured that's the least I could do for him since he let me buy them in the first place. We're going to put them together when he gets back.

I haven't had a real stamping desk ever. My "desk" now is really small, and I never use it because stuff is always piled on it due to lack of storage. I think my DH let me buy it because he hopes I won't drag my stamping supplies all over the kitchen table anymore.

What did you all do for the desk top? I think I'm going to have DH cut me a piece of MDF or good quality plywood and paint it white. Also-- the 14.5 depth of the cubes seems a little small for the desktop. Did you try to extend it some? I might have him build me extra open shelving to support a deeper desktop or something. I could put retired sets that I don't use so much in the back.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm so excited that I just had to tell someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Forgot something else-- the cubes were $20 at our Target as well (on sale from $24.99). However, only two of them rang up right. We had to go back in to customer service. They corrected it without any problems, but if any of you buy them, watch them as they ring up. Since we were buying so many at once, we opened a target visa card for the 10% off as well. With the sale on, it's like a buy four get one free sale-- not bad, really, when you consider what buying an actual desk would be.

Okay, I'll stop posting now.-- promise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Tara,
I plan on going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting the premade countertops. My room is 9 x 12..I think..lol So I was going to run the countertops on two of the walls to form an "L" shape. The cubes are going to be stacked 2 high is various places under the countertops.

Sadly, I can't do the countertop idea until we get a new rug in the basement!
:(

I plan on painting the room today. ( we bought the house in Feb...so the basement is still in progress..)

here is a pic of the cubes...they are well worth the time task.....my wrist hurts..lol :-D
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin' room-xmas2006-019.jpg  

Stamping is as sweet as chocolate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Oh Man! I'm in Canada, and boy, do I wish we had a Target!
You gals are so lucky!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 11:31 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetstamper06
Tara,
I plan on going to Lowes or Home Depot and getting the premade countertops. My room is 9 x 12..I think..lol So I was going to run the countertops on two of the walls to form an "L" shape. The cubes are going to be stacked 2 high is various places under the countertops.

Sadly, I can't do the countertop idea until we get a new rug in the basement!
:(

I plan on painting the room today. ( we bought the house in Feb...so the basement is still in progress..)

here is a pic of the cubes...they are well worth the time task.....my wrist hurts..lol :-D
very cool. question on the slots do they fit 12 x 12 paper? and the drawers what do you plan on putting in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Yes, the slots fit 12x12. My question is do the 4x drawers fit backgrounds.

I saw on two peas that they can be painted with krylon H2o latex, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just saw these cubes too. Just another thing to add to my 'prettyprettypleasecanIhaveit" list.
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkymommy
Yes, the slots fit 12x12. My question is do the 4x drawers fit backgrounds.

I saw on two peas that they can be painted with krylon H2o latex, I think.

YES!!! It's a perfect fit. After I read your question, I had to run and check. You can fit them vertically (or horizontally if you'd like) into the 4-drawer cube.

Mine are all put together now, and I'm very happy with them. In the small drawers (4 drawer cubes) I've been putting ribbon, punches, adhesives, and embellishments. The drawers are perfect for SU ribbon storage. I'm really happy with that as I've tried several ribbon storage methods lately and have yet to find one I'm happy with. I think this may be it.

I also love how the drawer pulls have a slot for labels-- very handy for people like me who forget where I put stuff.

I'm using the desktop shelves that come in a two-pack (two in one box for $24.99, and they're shallower so you can set them on your desk top) for BG stamp storage. That works very well, too, and I like to be able to see them.

I'll post a picture of how it turns out. I don't know if DH will get around to cutting my tabletop tonight or not-- I think he's a little worn out from putting eight cubes together. He says he's going to get it cut, though. It's cute-- I think he's almost as excited as I am. I think I'm just going to use his plywood for now. It's good quality, so it's smooth and everything, so I'll just have to find time to paint it white.

My stamp room now is a shared office with DH,and it's a pretty small room-- probably 8x15. We just got married and are still in a rental apartment. What I love about this storage is that I can take it with me wherever we move and reconfigure it. It stacks nicely-- there are pegs that hold the stacked cubes together. I like the countertop idea and may do that later when I have more room. For now I'm just super-excited to have a real stamping area!!

One down side that I've discovered-- I bought two of the file cubes because that is how I store my 8 1/2 x 11 CS now. However, the cubes require 12x12 hanging file folders, which Target does not sell. I called customer service for the cube manufacturers, and they said I have to buy Store In Style's brand, available at some Michael's stores and specialty scrapbook stores. Only 6 folders for $9.99! I have a folder for each of the 48 colors, and then some. At that rate, the folders will cost more than my whole desk. If anyone has suggestions for folders, please let me know. The only thing I can think of is to buy them one at a time from Michael's with coupons, and I don't even know if our store carries them. I've checked online, too, with not much luck.

OH-- and whoever posted about the smell of the cubes was not exaggerating. The chemical new furniture smell is super strong. However, I'm willing to put up with it till it airs out as I really like the cubes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought three items from the Target line yesterday. I bought the three drawer cube, the glass door cupboard with one shelf, and the spinning caddy. I love all three!! In the three drawers I put: 1) CM cutting system 2) punches 3) all of my pastels, crayons, and pencils.

My markers are in the spinning caddy, and I put all of my embossing powders, etc. in the small drawer in the bottom of it!

The desk that comes with this system was not deep enough for me, so I fashioned my own. Here's the breakdown:

1. piece of 2 foot by 4 foot plywood (birch, I think) - precut at Home Depot ($12)
2. 2 Closetmaid 3 drawer cupboards ($29 each)

I placed the top on the two cupboards, which face out. I put my stamp sets in the cupboards. My supplies are in the closet.

I use our spare bedroom as a stamping/scrapbooking space.

My desk is a little high, but I have an executive's chair that adjusts to a higher height, so it is great!

Sorry that this post is so long!

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #23  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Someone here a long time ago altered her legal size hanging folders to make them deep enough for 12 x 12. I think she cut the fold open and used nonhanging folders and clear tape to deepen them, but they were cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vee
Someone here a long time ago altered her legal size hanging folders to make them deep enough for 12 x 12. I think she cut the fold open and used nonhanging folders and clear tape to deepen them, but they were cheap.

That's a good idea. I might go buy some and try that. The only advantage I see to the Store in Style ones is that they are acid free. I'm not a photo safe freak like some (not meant in a negative way), but I have wondered at times if those file folders, which I'm sure are full of the bad stuff, would harm the paper and the pictures that I put on that paper.

Still, I think not having to shell out $100 for the files might be worth risking a little acid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Folder options....

Be sure to read the reviews. etc.....they are not all made in the same dimensions....just all wider than the 12x12.... Some are designed to be on a legal size rail....just with a deeper folder to accommodate the 12 inches down. I believe the two most popular of that size are Retrospect and Cropper Hopper.

The other styles of Making Memories and Crop in Style are not as wide, closer to a 12 x 12 folder....and I believe are the ones used in the storage cubes.

http://store.scrapjazz.com/294100.html

http://store.scrapbook.com/rs-64494.html

There is a sale going on now...these can be bought with another 30%?
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...&source=search

http://www.createforless.com/product...roductID=97620

And here is an article on how to cut your own from legal sized folders....then the 12 x 12 can go into any legal drawer system on the market!

http://organizedscrapbooks.com/article73
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

could you use the 12 x 12 hanging file folders sold at office supply stores? I know we use them at work and they are pretty cheap. Although they are an ugly green.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks snazzystamper for all the links...I may end up ordering from joann.com. I'm afraid to order another brand besides store in style b/c that was what the customer service rep said would fit. Since the others dont give dimensions, I'm a little leary. I might try making the leagal files work, though.

Does anyone know if they are really acidic or would hurt the paper/photos?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

We're painting my desktop today! It's taking a while to dry, and I'm getting anxious. We're putting several coats on the top and letting it dry in between and sanding it so I will have a nice smooth stamping surface. However, I think I"m going to buy a pad of the grid sheet paper from SU to work on. I always use scrap paper anyway, and I think the measurements would be nice. Plus, it would ensure a very smooth stamping surface. When we move to a house, I might buy an actual countertop with formica from lowe's or soemthing, but for now this was a cheap solution, and I think it'll look good, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkdtara84
On the down side that I've discovered-- I bought two of the file cubes because that is how I store my 8 1/2 x 11 CS now. However, the cubes require 12x12 hanging file folders, which Target does not sell. I called customer service for the cube manufacturers, and they said I have to buy Store In Style's brand, available at some Michael's stores and specialty scrapbook stores. Only 6 folders for $9.99! I have a folder for each of the 48 colors, and then some. At that rate, the folders will cost more than my whole desk. If anyone has suggestions for folders, please let me know. The only thing I can think of is to buy them one at a time from Michael's with coupons, and I don't even know if our store carries them. I've checked online, too, with not much luck.
Just wondering if you like storing your paper in hanging files. I currently do too but I noticed that the paper is curling and thinking about buying the 4 shelf cube for my paper instead. Because of this thread I went to Target last night to look at the cubes and they only had one of the 4 shelf and one of the 3 drawer that were on sale so I got a raincheck on the rest. Just trying to get the best method of storing paper and need some suggestions of what everyone does.

Just not enough time in the day to do
everything that I love to do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

So I was reading this thread today and looking online since i have never seen those cubes before at our Target which is just a normal target. I showed Hubby the cubes and said ain't those the coolest. Ran to the vet to bring our dog in and came back and he said look what i got you... 8 of the blocks for 12 x 12 paper... How sweet was that. I then had to buy a couple each of the other one's since i couldn't have just paper ones. I did go to target tonight and couldn't find them wish i could of because shipping was outrageous...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, what a sweetie you have. I got my area all finished, and I couldn't be more pleased. I'm going to try to upload pictures, but as I'm not too tech savvy, we'll have to see how this goes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I got two for Christmas, too. Just love them! The ONLY thing I didn't like was the awful smell when I took them out of the box and put them together. It's now gone, but ick...it sure gave me a headache!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hopefully the thumbnails will show up...

For my desk I stacked the cubes two deep because I wanted a bigger work surface. On the left side of my desk in the back, I stacked two of the four-shelf open storage for 12x12. On the right side DH made me a brace since it's against a wall, and I couldn't get to them anyway if they were there. The two bottom front cubes are filers for paper. The top two front cubes hold ribbon, adhesives, etc.

The ink pad cube on the left was something my dad made for me-- I'm outgrowing it and am going to have to find additional storage, but I can't part with it since he made it.

On the right I have the three drawer cube for holding workshop projects in progress, and I put in one of the drawer dividers that they sell for $7.99. It gives me 16 smaller cubes inside the drawer, which was perfect for organizing my embellishments. The smaller shelves (smaller in depth) hold my coloring supplies-- markers, watercolor crayons and pencils, my alphabet sets, cropadiel, and other stuff I use often. I had to go out and buy their rotating organizer as well, in which I've put pens, gel pens, acqua painters, etc.

What's great about this is I still have room to grow. Also, when we move to a house, if I have more room (hopefully), I can always rearrange and add more cubes. The desktop is just plywood that we painted white, so DH can always cut me a different or bigger size later. Or, I can go buy prefab countertop at some point. I hope Target sells these cubes for a few more years in case I want to add to my stash.

Oh, as a side note, I'm very happy with the quality of these cubes. They don't seem like they will tear up easily. Also, the drawer bottoms are very secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Stampin' room-splitcoast-1.jpg   Stampin' room-splitcoast-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, Tara, that is really beautiful. I have to rethink what I was planning on doing now --
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hopefully the thumbnails will show up...

For my desk I stacked the cubes two deep because I wanted a bigger work surface. On the left side of my desk in the back, I stacked two of the four-shelf open storage for 12x12. On the right side DH made me a brace since it's against a wall, and I couldn't get to them anyway if they were there. The two bottom front cubes are filers for paper. The top two front cubes hold ribbon, adhesives, etc.

The ink pad cube on the left was something my dad made for me-- I'm outgrowing it and am going to have to find additional storage, but I can't part with it since he made it.

On the right I have the three drawer cube for holding workshop projects in progress, and I put in one of the drawer dividers that they sell for $7.99. It gives me 16 smaller cubes inside the drawer, which was perfect for organizing my embellishments. The smaller shelves (smaller in depth) hold my coloring supplies-- markers, watercolor crayons and pencils, my alphabet sets, cropadiel, and other stuff I use often. I had to go out and buy their rotating organizer as well, in which I've put pens, gel pens, acqua painters, etc.

What's great about this is I still have room to grow. Also, when we move to a house, if I have more room (hopefully), I can always rearrange and add more cubes. The desktop is just plywood that we painted white, so DH can always cut me a different or bigger size later. Or, I can go buy prefab countertop at some point. I hope Target sells these cubes for a few more years in case I want to add to my stash.

Oh, as a side note, I'm very happy with the quality of these cubes. They don't seem like they will tear up easily. Also, the drawer bottoms are very secure.
wow that looks awesome
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted this on another thread too, but I also got a bunch of those cubes and I LOVE them! The cube that I love most though is the one with 3 drawers. You can buy dividers for the drawers and store ribbon in them (I think that the SU ribbon would be too large for these drawers though). I LOVE it!! I am so happy that I invested in this system!!

Stampin' room-ribbon-small.jpg

Stampin' room-storage-small.jpg
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

wow I love these cubes. I went to target today and coldn't find them anywhere and when I asked they just gave me a blank stare.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

At our Target they were in the "stationery department." Ours were in the aisle with the photo albums and scrapbooking supplies. My mom's Target is set up this way as well.

As to the ribbon suggestion-- yes, the three drawers are too short to hold the SU ribbon, but the four-drawer quad cubes are not. That's where I put mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that ribbon drawer shure is purty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

At our Target they were in the "stationery department." Ours were in the aisle with the photo albums and scrapbooking supplies. My mom's Target is set up this way as well.

As to the ribbon suggestion-- yes, the three drawers are too short to hold the SU ribbon, but the four-drawer quad cubes are not. That's where I put mine.
they weren't in mine maybe they will put them in after allt he christmas stuff is gone
Reply With Quote Likes