Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #521  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
and, the exercise credits? i'm going to add those too since i'm currently *supposed to be* rehabbing after knee surgery, but, i'm only going to take the credits if i meet a minimum of 180 minutes a week.
I really like this idea - I hadn't factored exercise in my original plan, but I think I will now.

I went with $20 for every 15 cards or $1.33 per card. My "spend account" now has $5.00 in it! Whoo-hoo!

By the way, I walked the San Diego 3-Day last year and plan to walk Boston in 2009!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #522  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001
I really like this idea - I hadn't factored exercise in my original plan, but I think I will now.
i really needed something that would make me work out more consistently -- that's why i put a minimum on it. no credit unless i workout several times a week... we'll see how it goes.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001
By the way, I walked the San Diego 3-Day last year and plan to walk Boston in 2009!
GOOD for you! this will be my fourth year. i'm hoping my knee is in good condition by then - i have 14 weeks to go!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #523  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome Cathy and Christine, too, if I missed your initial post!

I agree with Christine -- we all tweak the values to fit our own needs. My cards earn me $2 each and that's because a) they usually take at least a couple of hours to make from initial brainstorm to finishing touches and b) it's easier for me to calculate that way! In fact, all my items are $2 each for ease of addition.

There's a separate heading in my sig line for items I sell, but again, that's just easier for me.

IMO, the point of the challenge is not to be extremely limiting, but to make us aware of our spending. And maybe to inspire a little creativity from using what we already have, too!

Cathy -- we're so glad to have to in our HM swap. On the saving trend, quite a few of us are planning an image swap so feel free to join in! We're just waiting for everyone to receive their newest stamps.

I should definitely keep track of exercise minutes, too -- there's a big need for extra motivation in that category!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #524  
Stampin' Fool

Wow! I just tried my first sheetload and I'm amazed at how quick I made 8 cards! Thanks for sharing the link that was posted on page 11 of this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #525  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsclark2001View Post
Wow! I just tried my first sheetload and I'm amazed at how quick I made 8 cards! Thanks for sharing the link that was posted on page 11 of this thread!
If you used either the regular or the mini July issue, make sure to post a link of your card on their blog -- there's a prize giveaway this month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #526  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlazarskiView Post
If you used either the regular or the mini July issue, make sure to post a link of your card on their blog -- there's a prize giveaway this month!
Thanks for the info, I'll check out the requirements. I did use the July issue, but I only saw the regular, not a mini. Did I miss that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #527  
Stampin' Fool

Oh darn, I just missed the deadline by one day! :-( Oh well, I'm really pleased with my cards anyways!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #528  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I'll check out the requirements. I did use the July issue, but I only saw the regular, not a mini. Did I miss that?
Did you find the mini issue? It truly is a mini issue -- not only smaller than a regular issue, but features a recipe for 3 x 3" cards. Fun, fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM   #529  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yay! Welcome to all of the ladies. It really is all about accountability. I am in Utah this week (live in Ohio) and right near where I have to work there is an SEI outlet. You know, the gorgeous paper company. Holy cow...accountability out the window yesterday. I was in there at least half an hour and spent just over $25. I haven't updated my totals yet, which is a good thing, cause I need to make some stuff first. Now, question for you ladies: I bought a SEI scrapbook kit; everything to make an 8x8 album for year in review and some month stickers for my husband's first anniversary gift. So, when I make the album, do I get to cancel out the $$ I spent on the album? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #530  
Glitter Guru

Just found this forum and I love this idea!!! This will be really helpful as I need to be on a stamping budget, especially with the new SU! catty coming out and all the other wonderful companies releasing their new goodies now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #531  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I love this idea ~ I will check how to do this and add it to my siggy! Love the idea!
Blessings!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #532  
Insane Embellisher

Welcome Catherine and Kelly!

I had to travel for work last week and I finally got to stamp the other day. Now I have a question for you ladies: If you use a layout from someone else, is that considered casing? OR, is it just using a layout? Cuz, I do that a lot, and I'd like to think that I am coming up with all my own cards, but the layout thing is hanging me up. Anyway, keep stamping ladies! We have got to get ahead for that new cattie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #533  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pr31stamperView Post
Yay! Welcome to all of the ladies. It really is all about accountability. I am in Utah this week (live in Ohio) and right near where I have to work there is an SEI outlet. You know, the gorgeous paper company. Holy cow...accountability out the window yesterday. I was in there at least half an hour and spent just over $25. I haven't updated my totals yet, which is a good thing, cause I need to make some stuff first. Now, question for you ladies: I bought a SEI scrapbook kit; everything to make an 8x8 album for year in review and some month stickers for my husband's first anniversary gift. So, when I make the album, do I get to cancel out the $$ I spent on the album? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I would say that if you finish the album, it completely cancels out the money you spent on it. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #534  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Welcome Catherine and Kelly!

I had to travel for work last week and I finally got to stamp the other day. Now I have a question for you ladies: If you use a layout from someone else, is that considered casing? OR, is it just using a layout? Cuz, I do that a lot, and I'd like to think that I am coming up with all my own cards, but the layout thing is hanging me up. Anyway, keep stamping ladies! We have got to get ahead for that new cattie!
It depends. If you use the whole layout then in my opinion I'd say yes. Kind of like doing a sketch challenges. As an example...when they do the Featured Stamper Challenge, they don't want you to do a card that the person did for a sketch challenge because it's not the persons "own" idea. If you see a layout you like and get an idea from it and it ends up nothing like the layout you looked at and got ideas from then I'd say no. Make sense? Also, in my opinion...I think it's always nice to give credit to the person if you use their card for an idea, a case, layout, etc. I favorite cards I like and when I get around to making them, I put a link to the card that I got the idea from (even if it's nothing like I made) and I also PM the person with the link to my card thanking them for sharing their card and if they'd like to see what I made, here's the link. I've gotten so many ladies so thankful for that PM...many who thought their cards weren't anything special and also many who thought no one was looking at their gallery etc. It's very flattering to a person and it does brighten a person's day to know someone out there likes their work whether it's their coloring, stamping, or layout Ok...sorry to go rambling on the subject or off it, lol...

I'm home now...FINALLY. Got in last week. I didn't open my 12x12 box the whole time I was away. I was too stressed to even think of stamping, coloring, or playing. I did make a card yesterday (my first one since before I left) for one of my hubby's troops. Just a simple one layer bella card for her Airman Leadership Graduation. I enjoy going to the graduations...a new dress and a night out with my hubby

I broke down and got the in colors inks and multicolor cs and 2 old in color cs and a hostess set (since my friend wasn't getting it...I officially let my demoship go). I'm loving the green, orange, and pink (from the cs at least, haven't opened the inks)...what do ya'll think of them?

Have a great rest of the week everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #535  
Insane Embellisher

Oh my goodness, my STS challenge girlfriends! I found out yesterday I am pregnant! Whoo hoo! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #536  
Watercolor Wizard

Congratulations, Victoria!!! That is very exciting news! My babies are in college, but I still remember being pregnant. What a wonderful time in your life!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:23 PM   #537  
Stampin' Fool

How exciting is that Victoria? Way to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #538  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangegymnutView Post
It depends. If you use the whole layout then in my opinion I'd say yes. Kind of like doing a sketch challenges. As an example...when they do the Featured Stamper Challenge, they don't want you to do a card that the person did for a sketch challenge because it's not the persons "own" idea. If you see a layout you like and get an idea from it and it ends up nothing like the layout you looked at and got ideas from then I'd say no. Make sense? Also, in my opinion...I think it's always nice to give credit to the person if you use their card for an idea, a case, layout, etc. I favorite cards I like and when I get around to making them, I put a link to the card that I got the idea from (even if it's nothing like I made) and I also PM the person with the link to my card thanking them for sharing their card and if they'd like to see what I made, here's the link. I've gotten so many ladies so thankful for that PM...many who thought their cards weren't anything special and also many who thought no one was looking at their gallery etc. It's very flattering to a person and it does brighten a person's day to know someone out there likes their work whether it's their coloring, stamping, or layout Ok...sorry to go rambling on the subject or off it, lol...

I'm home now...FINALLY. Got in last week. I didn't open my 12x12 box the whole time I was away. I was too stressed to even think of stamping, coloring, or playing. I did make a card yesterday (my first one since before I left) for one of my hubby's troops. Just a simple one layer bella card for her Airman Leadership Graduation. I enjoy going to the graduations...a new dress and a night out with my hubby

I broke down and got the in colors inks and multicolor cs and 2 old in color cs and a hostess set (since my friend wasn't getting it...I officially let my demoship go). I'm loving the green, orange, and pink (from the cs at least, haven't opened the inks)...what do ya'll think of them?

Have a great rest of the week everyone!
Awww, that's nice that you PM! I really think it comes down to inspiration vs. copy. If it's clearly the exact same layout and similar materials, then I'd give credit. If it's just that you saw a card or page that made you think - 'hey, I have something similar' or 'I have that stamp, I should try using it like that' - then I think it's nice to give props, but not required.

Happy Friday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:01 AM   #539  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh my goodness, my STS challenge girlfriends! I found out yesterday I am pregnant! Whoo hoo! ;)
Congratulations Victoria! Do you know when you are due?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #540  
Glitter Guru

Question Did someone say 'outlet'?

Quote:

An SEI Outlet??? Where??? I'm in Ohio, too - Between Cleveland and Akron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2008, 06:28 AM   #541  
Glitter Guru

Hi girls!
OMG! I knew it was 'danger time' with my SU! Demo having her open house for the new catty, because that's when she discounts and sells her discontinued stuff. I spent $26.50! Now, I didn't count buying the new catty in my 'spent' total, is that okay? I thought I would be in good shape since I just finished a swap, and ended up with 7 cards instead of 6 because one just wasn't quite right. But now, I'm in STS (Stamp to Spend) debt! I hate debt! Luckily I've got a few more swaps (more than I should) coming up, so if I can just hold off spending anymore until those are done...
Anyway, hope everyone's Monday/week is off to a great start! Off to check out your galleries to see what you've been up to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 AM   #542  
Insane Embellisher

Catherine, the SEI Outlet was in Utah. There was so much gorgeous paper and everything imaginable to match, it was hard not to go overboard.
Tanya, thanks! I am due April 14th. I have been a little sick lately, so rather than stamp I have been parked on the couch.
I did get DH's scrapbook done for our 1st anniversary, and he loved it.
I need to send out some cards and then restock. I have about 20 people who need a card, but I have been so tired lately. (But's it's worth it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 AM   #543  
Pearl-ExPert

April 14th...you're just a couple weeks along Wow! Is this your first one?

Well, there will be a lil' one arriving in our family too. No, I'm not pregnant, lol. My daughter is...she's due on Valentine's Day Although we are all praying for a Friday the 13th baby, just like she was I'm going to be a grandma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #544  
Insane Embellisher

Yep, first one. I feel a lot better today. Still haven't felt the urge to stamp, but I'm sure that will return soon enough. Congratulations on your daughter's pregnancy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #545  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangegymnutView Post
April 14th...you're just a couple weeks along Wow! Is this your first one?

Well, there will be a lil' one arriving in our family too. No, I'm not pregnant, lol. My daughter is...she's due on Valentine's Day Although we are all praying for a Friday the 13th baby, just like she was I'm going to be a grandma!
Wow, Tanya -- congratulations! There have been so many big events in your family over the past months; it's nice to hear of another happy one !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 PM   #546  
Crimping Master

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I have spent so much money on stuff from the new catty that I will never catch up and don't even think I can come up with a realisitc total (okay I can if I really try, but it may shock me.)!!!!! I may never catch back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 AM   #547  
Glitter Guru

Did my first ATCs last night for a small swap with some of my SBS2 friends.
For now, I'm counting them as cards - they took me awhile and were just as 'decked out' as a card...at least that's my logic.
How are you guys counting ATCs?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #548  
Glitter Guru

Oh, almost forgot! I "altered" a wooden tray - well, lightly altered. I painted it white, put a sheet of felt on the underside to keep it from scratching the furniture, and used some great Basic Grey paper I'd been hoarding to cover the inside. Then, for some reason, I held onto my index sticker when I bought the capital monogram 'C' from SU! awhile back ( I kept the negative of the letter and double-mounted it on the wood block), so after the decoupage glue dried, I trimmed out the sticker and placed it in the center of the tray. It's pretty darn cute, IMHO. I use it to gather and cart my stamping supplies back and forth (I stamp in my bedroom, and store everything in the guest room). Very handy! Since he was kinda big, I'm alotting $5.
Are you guys counting stamping classes against your spending??? Supposed to go to one at Archivers tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #549  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dorothyjaneView Post
I have spent so much money on stuff from the new catty that I will never catch up and don't even think I can come up with a realisitc total (okay I can if I really try, but it may shock me.)!!!!! I may never catch back up.

I feel your pain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #550  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperAddictView Post
Did my first ATCs last night for a small swap with some of my SBS2 friends.
For now, I'm counting them as cards - they took me awhile and were just as 'decked out' as a card...at least that's my logic.
How are you guys counting ATCs?
I've only done ATC's once for a swap and it was before I decided to do this stamp to spend challenge. You're right, there is just as much work involved in an ATC as a full sized card and I would count them as cards too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #551  
Stampin' Fool

I have a question. Hotwheels, Linda is a SCS'er who has CP and on the Wish RAK thread people are volunteering to put together card kits for her. I'm going to send her a card kit in Sept and wondered how to count for that?

I would be making one sample card, stamping the images, cutting out the images and all the other cardstock and DP and sending them with ribbons or other embellishments. Linda will color the images and assemble the card.

I was thinking about giving myself half credit for each "card", since I am using up supplies. Does that sound fair?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #552  
Matboard Maniac

This is a great idea! I'm in! I am sure DH would love this budget! Plus it will give me more incentive to create more! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #553  
Pearl-ExPert

I thought it was all quiet around here, lol...I don't know why I'm not getting email updates???

Thank-you Victoria and Jessica for the congratulations It is so nice to finally have something wonderful to look forward to after 2 1/2 years of family members cancer.

I hope you are feeling better Victoria! My daughter's morning sickness has passed, thankfully. She's just emotional, lol...so not like her and what's even funnier is she realizes it and today she says mom, I think my emotional immune system is down or something. I wanted to laugh, but I figured it would make her cry. Anyhow, I hope you're able to get back into your crafting routine soon!

I still haven't stamped...pout...we were given some unexpected news last week...so life has been really crazy for us. My husband has an assignment, we're moving to AZ. No big shock, we're military...but they told us in March we're not going anywhere. So, we're in the middle of a bathroom remodel, redoing our deck and planned on painting the house over the summer. I guess we need to speed it up a bit, eh? We are due there before Dec. We'd like to be there between mid Oct-mid Nov., we'll see.

mrsclark2001~I think what you are doing for Hotwheels is a fabulous idea. If it were me, I'd count it as full credit. You are using the same amount of supplies as you would if you were making the card...you just aren't assembling or coloring it. Just my thought on it

inkin&thinkin(Wendy)~ Welcome! I hope you enjoy the challenge!

Have a great rest of the week everyone! Anyone have any fun and exciting plans for the long weekend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:34 AM   #554  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

...I was thinking about giving myself half credit for each "card", since I am using up supplies. Does that sound fair?
i have to agree with tanya the idea [at least in my VERY HUMBLE opinion] is that we actually CREATE instead of just collect! so, you're using your supplies and full credit is warranted. BUT you're also doing something so thoughtful - maybe you should consider 'extra credit' points. i'm sure hotwheels would agree!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #555  
Glitter Guru

I agree - full credit at the very least!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #556  
Insane Embellisher

I agree--full credit for cards to assemble and atc's.

Thanks Tanya, I am feeling better. I got a kick out of the emotional immune system. I've just been a little more, uh, straightforward with people. Which is a welcome change for me.

I did stamp 5 cards the other day, reverse spotlighting. It drained my brain. I have also decided not to be in a stamp club this year. Not right now anyway. Life is too busy and I don't need another thing to do. (not to mention I would be better off having a party and getting all the loot for myself twice a year.) Hard decision to make, but I have so much paper and stamps that I have barely used, it is ridiculous.

Glad to see everyone else is hanging in there! God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #557  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm sad to say that my first thought was
Quote:

I need to go shopping before start this so I have enough paper...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 PM   #558  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the supportive votes for full credit on the card kits. :mrgreen:

I've been really good with my spending and being in the Wish RAK has helped because I'm not running out to buy stamps everytime I see something I like. Now I just put it on my wish list and in a few months I've collected a nice assortment of images to color in.

If you're interested in "trading" images with other great stampers, you should check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #559  
Pearl-ExPert

Victoria~that's wonderful that you're back at it! So glad to hear it!!! Stepping down from your stamp club was probably a good idea and you're right, better for you to have a party yourself a couple times a year and get all the benefits from it. Plus with having 2 catty's a year, you only get 6 months to get the hostess sets you want out of each catty...not very long, and with being in a stamp club you don't get to control which month is yours etc.
Nice to hear that you like your hormonal changes that your pregnacy is giving you, lol.

mrsclark2001~ I agree with "Cat" about the extra points. After thinking about it, you do have to pay for packaging and shipping...though it may not be much, but if you are doing it every month etc. it does add up.
I've also heard many people say that the Wish RAK is a wonderful thing to get involved in.

Cat~ I just read your Walk 60 miles for Breast Cancer Page. Wow, that sound like a rough 3 days!!! I wish you the best and hope things are going better with your training...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #560  
Glitter Guru

I need to get stamping and scrapping! Man, am I in the hole right now!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Likes