Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-05-2007, 03:40 AM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmorA
This is getting really frustrating! I'm still finding pretty cards in the gallery with nothing more than a link to the blog in the description. This is fine if you have a lot of time on your hands to read through someone's blog, but it seems this is defeating the purpose of SCS. SCS is not here to advertise for your blog...yanno? Furthermore, if the cards were not posted recently, you have to scroll through pages and pages of blog entries just to figure out what detail was used on a card, or the colors, etc. WHAT A PAIN!

Has SCS come up with a solution to this problem yet? I'm tempted to post a link to this thread as a comment on these types of cards. Maybe some of the people posting in the gallery don't read the forums...? Maybe we can get a reminder at the top of the gallery upload page?
Some type of link or reminder of this might be helpful....because I was guilty of this and did not know it was a bad thing. I actually thought I was doing a good thing....because I type in detailed information as to what I did on my blog, and wanted to share that. So, like me, some of the people you are finding that are doing this might be doing so quite innocently......I really did not know this was a no-no.
I do read the forums......but not everyday or all the time. I think the op was in nov. and I wasn't on here - nor did I upload - in November or December. I am very glad I saw this today, but please bear in ,mind that there are probably others out there like me who just do not know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #162  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I apologize. I always put the recipe, but I'm also guilty of the promotional wording back to the blog, just because I was excited for people to see it because it weas new. I won't do it again, and I'm glad that I saw this thread! Thanks, Julie!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinadoran
This was the first time I saw this origional post. I have been linking my uploads to my blog for time/lazy reasons............not to have to type the info twice:oops:
That's the only reason I started doing it. I wanted to keep my blog current for my stampers who do not come to splitcoast...and still share my stuff here as well. I will remember this for the future.
(((Tina))) No worries! I know I've seen several posters who will type the info on their blog and then just copy, cut and paste the info into the description box when they upload it here. Works just as well, and saves you from typing twice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #164  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmorA
This is getting really frustrating! I'm still finding pretty cards in the gallery with nothing more than a link to the blog in the description. This is fine if you have a lot of time on your hands to read through someone's blog, but it seems this is defeating the purpose of SCS. SCS is not here to advertise for your blog...yanno? Furthermore, if the cards were not posted recently, you have to scroll through pages and pages of blog entries just to figure out what detail was used on a card, or the colors, etc. WHAT A PAIN!
Thank you, AmorA, for pointing this out.

For those seeking to direct traffic to their blogs or increase the exposure of their blogs/websites, we have a most excellent ad program, just click HERE!

By all means, please, take advantage of our reasonable rates, and support SCS at the same time! ;)

Sara's awesome to work with and she'll get ya' all hooked up! :grin:

Quote:

Has SCS come up with a solution to this problem yet? I'm tempted to post a link to this thread as a comment on these types of cards. Maybe some of the people posting in the gallery don't read the forums...? Maybe we can get a reminder at the top of the gallery upload page?
Like Keri said, we're working on it, but it takes time to develop a policy that is reasonable, and covers all the bases.

In the meantime, with 110,000 members, and many of whom never visit the forums, we are trying to get the word out; it just takes TIME, and lots of it!

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #165  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
(((Tina))) No worries! I know I've seen several posters who will type the info on their blog and then just copy, cut and paste the info into the description box when they upload it here. Works just as well, and saves you from typing twice!
Totally!

That's 'zacly what I do to save my arm (tendinitis) from all the re-typing! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #166  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

So, I know the details aren't hammered out yet, but I have a question. When I upload something to the gallery that I talked about on my blog, I will fill in all the fields and I will also state that more info at .....and link my blog. I will be more specific and link it directly to that blog post, I did not even think about people who might view it days or months later and not be able to find the correct info.

But, I don't put specific details of what I used on my blog, and I always do in the gallery. I tend to talk more about how I did it instead of what colors, etc I used on the blog. Is that ok to link it in the gallery? Or should I not even do that. I don't want to be ticking people off with the link.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #167  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
So, I know the details aren't hammered out yet, but I have a question. When I upload something to the gallery that I talked about on my blog, I will fill in all the fields and I will also state that more info at .....and link my blog. I will be more specific and link it directly to that blog post, I did not even think about people who might view it days or months later and not be able to find the correct info.

But, I don't put specific details of what I used on my blog, and I always do in the gallery. I tend to talk more about how I did it instead of what colors, etc I used on the blog. Is that ok to link it in the gallery? Or should I not even do that. I don't want to be ticking people off with the link.
I don't think that is an issue, Emily.

The problem has been with a total ommission of even a simple/basic supplies/materials recipe, and in lieu of that, a "visit my blog" directive

Many times, not even a basic supplies/materials recipe is listed, and just a homepage blog link is shown in the photo description. Naturally, if the blog entry is weeks or months old, a person would have to spend considerable time just trying to FIND the deets . . . :(

A link specifically to that project, if you have long/explicit details to share, is fine, and much better than a general homepage blog link.

As long as basic recipe info is included, and the blog link is simple, and does not contain any promotional or solicitory language, that's fine! :grin:

I sometimes put "For more explicit details and information: (blog link)", and then the viewer has the option to visit my blog if they choose, but, I always include recipe info, so the viewer is not "forced" to go there just to find out stamp credits, or ink and paper colors, etc.

UKWIM? :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #168  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUMP!! Have a good day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #169  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Post Tired (and maybe a little cranky)

I am actually getting tired of almost all links to blogs under the gallery photos. Even if they're not selling anything, I find most blogs to be very self congratulatory.
One exception: I checked out krabearcub's blog today. He gives so many details about how he created the projects.... not just the steps that went into the final piece, but his thoughts on what might be included and the decisions on items to be left out or added. His writing is much more helpful than any I have seen before.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #170  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I am actually getting tired of almost all links to blogs under the gallery photos. Even if they're not selling anything, I find most blogs to be very self congratulatory.
One exception: I checked out krabearcub's blog today. He gives so many details about how he created the projects.... not just the steps that went into the final piece, but his thoughts on what might be included and the decisions on items to be left out or added. His writing is much more helpful than any I have seen before.
Wow! We must read different blogs!;) :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 04:28 AM   #171  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
Well, then don't go read my blog! Mine is very, VERY self congratulatory...:mrgreen: Still, I hope it's a little helpful.;)

Most of the time, I don't put a link to my blog, but if I have a template for the project, I do. I still post the ingredients...I hate leaving that stuff blank because I know that computer monitors vary widely in how truly they reproduce colors and it can be almost impossible to see which pink or whatever has been used.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #172  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess I don't really understand why some people seem to be so annoyed by the existence of blog links. It's not just when the recipes aren't included. I've been chastised in a comment made in my gallery for not pasting my blog info even though the recipe was already in the gallery. Sometimes I do paste the info, in addition to the recipe, but sometimes, because there is a sense of continuity in the blog that doesn't always exist in the gallery format, it isn't quite as simple as cutting and pasting. Besides, I like the way the recipe list in the gallery works. It's more efficient to find supplies in the chart format than reading through what is sometimes several paragraphs of comment.

I include my blog link in my gallery postings because the gallery is where I, myself, usually discover the blogs I find most interesting. IF I had to choose between the two, I'd rather have the link to someone's blog associated with what they display in the gallery rather than what they say in the forum. So PLEASE don't discourage people from linking their blogs in the gallery! If you don't care for blogs you can choose to ignore the links.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkpad
I
I include my blog link in my gallery postings because the gallery is where I, myself, usually discover the blogs I find most interesting.
I agree! I have found most blogs I frequent this way!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #174  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

The problem has been with a total ommission of even a simple/basic supplies/materials recipe, and in lieu of that, a "visit my blog" directive

Many times, not even a basic supplies/materials recipe is listed, and just a homepage blog link is shown in the photo description. Naturally, if the blog entry is weeks or months old, a person would have to spend considerable time just trying to FIND the deets . . . :(

A link specifically to that project, if you have long/explicit details to share, is fine, and much better than a general homepage blog link.

As long as basic recipe info is included, and the blog link is simple, and does not contain any promotional or solicitory language, that's fine! :grin:

I sometimes put "For more explicit details and information: (blog link)", and then the viewer has the option to visit my blog if they choose, but, I always include recipe info, so the viewer is not "forced" to go there just to find out stamp credits, or ink and paper colors, etc.

Makes total sense to me. I like people putting them in there just so I can find the blog links since the signatures don't show up there. But I am all for the requirement of details, not just a link. Good luck getting all the fine points agreed upon!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #175  
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Just reading this for the 1st time today...
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #176  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

Julie...I appreciate you making the point I pout in red below. This has been very frustrating to me lately. The recipe is in the gallery, but no other description information, just a link to the blog, and when I click it, I get the homepage, not the actual card details. Please everybody, if you link your blog for the card details, make the link go directly to the card. Thanks! LM :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM   #177  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I think lots of bloggers put their blog link in there like a signature line. Earlier in this thread Julie says that a simple non-promotional link is fine and I think that is why most of us don't add a lot of extra verbage. We are trying to make sure it's not promotional.

If the link is specific to the gallery post I usually say something like For more information see:link. And, I usually only direct gallery viewers to click on my blog for more information on a specific project if it is something quite technical and involves more pictures or something.

I do like the link to the blogger's home page. I'm looking to see what they are currently blogging about because their gallery post has interested me in their style or something. I'm not usually expecting to find more specific stuff about what I just looked at in the gallery.

I suppose a freestanding blog link without some sort of message could look like it is in place of a message. It might be advisable that we say something before adding the link. On the other hand there are many, many gallery entries with out anything besides the recipe and I'm not sure its fair to hold bloggers to a higher standard. That's one of those things we all just need to keep in mind as we write or read gallery posts. This is also making it clear to me why this is a complex issue for the mods to work out. Best of luck to them.

In the meantime it might help if we:

1. Assume a link is to the homepage if the recipe is already given and the post doesn't specifically direct you to the blog for more info.

2. Look at the address itself. If it is short, it is probably to the homepage. If it is long, it is probably to a specific project.

Hope this helps us all stay cool about this. :cool: that's the first smilie I ever used...hope it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM   #178  
Mad Swapper

There's also the issue of blogs not always staying around forever or staying at the same addy. What are we going to do then when the info which was there when the card/project was posted isn't there anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I'd rather see the link directly to the project. 9 times out of 10 I will then go to the home page of the blog, but I like to go directly to the card that got me there in the first place to start with, since that's usually why I've clicked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #180  
Mad Swapper

Default Posting Receipe Information

Hi, I created my first album for the gallery tonight. As I followed the steps through I did not see any headings in "Additional Info" other than "keywords". When I went back into my gallery to edit picture to add in my recipe the titles "Stamps, Paper, Inks & Accessories" are absent. What am I doing wrong? I have searched high and low and cannot find the appropriate place to add my recipe. Thank you for your help. Marnie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #181  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plumbliss
Hi, I created my first album for the gallery tonight. As I followed the steps through I did not see any headings in "Additional Info" other than "keywords". When I went back into my gallery to edit picture to add in my recipe the titles "Stamps, Paper, Inks & Accessories" are absent. What am I doing wrong? I have searched high and low and cannot find the appropriate place to add my recipe. Thank you for your help. Marnie.
You are not doing anything wrong, hon! :grin: Albums do not contain the aforementioned field boxes; so I just fill in the info in the photo description box itself.

HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:46 AM   #182  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Well, then don't go read my blog! Mine is very, VERY self congratulatory...:mrgreen: Still, I hope it's a little helpful.;)

Most of the time, I don't put a link to my blog, but if I have a template for the project, I do. I still post the ingredients...I hate leaving that stuff blank because I know that computer monitors vary widely in how truly they reproduce colors and it can be almost impossible to see which pink or whatever has been used.
Yes, Jan, you do love yourself, dont'cha? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #183  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for posting. The recipe is just as valuable as the photo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #184  
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm sorry for posting my blog information in my gallery.:(
I've only done it twice. but it won't happen again!

I alway tell other's what stamps and paper I used on my cards
and even put in keywords so other that are looking might find what they are looking for.

Thanks!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #185  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
I'm sorry for posting my blog information in my gallery.:(
I've only done it twice. but it won't happen again!

I alway tell other's what stamps and paper I used on my cards
and even put in keywords so other that are looking might find what they are looking for.

Thanks!!!
Not to worry! As long as you complete the 'recipe' info when uploading your projects, it's fine to include a basic link to your blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #186  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammy
Not to worry! As long as you complete the 'recipe' info when uploading your projects, it's fine to include a basic link to your blog.
Thanks that makes me feel better.....But now if I can figure out why one of my cards keep getting deleted I will be much happier.
I just uploaded a card that I first uploaded on Monday. and it's gone again for the 3rd time.:(

Thanks again for your help!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #187  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Thanks that makes me feel better.....But now if I can figure out why one of my cards keep getting deleted I will be much happier.
I just uploaded a card that I first uploaded on Monday. and it's gone again for the 3rd time.:(

Thanks again for your help!!
Check the file name of the one you're uploading - if you have ANY other picture in your gallery w/ the same file name (example: cardbyme.jpg) then the one you are continuously tying to upload will keep being deleted - the gallery software regularily purges duplicates (a gallery mod could explain this WAY better than I can!!) but I HTH!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #188  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
Check the file name of the one you're uploading - if you have ANY other picture in your gallery w/ the same file name (example: cardbyme.jpg) then the one you are continuously tying to upload will keep being deleted - the gallery software regularily purges duplicates (a gallery mod could explain this WAY better than I can!!) but I HTH!!
Amy!!!

I found out this was why my card was being deleted.
I had no idea that I had the same name on both photo's before uploading.. it!!

Now I will make sure that it doesn't happen again.

It was the first time I had a photo get deleted without really knowning why!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #189  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Amy!!!

I found out this was why my card was being deleted.
I had no idea that I had the same name on both photo's before uploading.. it!!

Now I will make sure that it doesn't happen again.

It was the first time I had a photo get deleted without really knowning why!!!
I'm glad you were able to find out that that was the reason!! :mrgreen: Happy uploading!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #190  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiedesigns
Julie, I want to apologize--didn't mean to offend. I'm just stretched so tightly for time with even keeping up with a blog that I run out of time to put recipes. I was trying to save time by linking to that info that I had already babbled about extensively somewhere else.
I'm coming in waaaay late on this and may be repeating what someone else may have already said, but what I'm doing to remedy this is posting to my blog first so I can cover the details well enough, then cutting and pasting the pertinent info into my gallery post. It's not too time consuming if you cut and paste. I put the recipe on my blog and then cut and paste it into the proper gallery fields and put the detailed instructions or just general chattiness in the description window. HTH!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #191  
Proud Fan Club Member

Alot of times, I only place certain cards on my blog and I don't post everyday there either.
Sometimes when I do post my cards and ideas, Then I get a little more carried away with my description.

And when I post a card in the Gallery here on SCS.. I give detail in the gallery.
Yes it is a pain in the butt! But most people are here on SCS looking for ideas. and not always looking for blogs.

just my two cents...

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2007, 05:06 PM   #192  
Hardware Hotshot

Something I've done when I'm in a hurry; post the card to my blog with a link to SCS for the recipe... why not just do it the oposite way if you are looking to save time; and suport SCS!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #193  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I guess I don't really understand why some people seem to be so annoyed by the existence of blog links. It's not just when the recipes aren't included. I've been chastised in a comment made in my gallery for not pasting my blog info even though the recipe was already in the gallery. Sometimes I do paste the info, in addition to the recipe, but sometimes, because there is a sense of continuity in the blog that doesn't always exist in the gallery format, it isn't quite as simple as cutting and pasting. Besides, I like the way the recipe list in the gallery works. It's more efficient to find supplies in the chart format than reading through what is sometimes several paragraphs of comment.

I include my blog link in my gallery postings because the gallery is where I, myself, usually discover the blogs I find most interesting. IF I had to choose between the two, I'd rather have the link to someone's blog associated with what they display in the gallery rather than what they say in the forum. So PLEASE don't discourage people from linking their blogs in the gallery! If you don't care for blogs you can choose to ignore the links.
I agree! No one can make you click a link. I just hope that all bloggers will be considerate and post recipe info. I find it annoying too to not be able to tell what they used to make their card, especially if I have limited time to browse through the gallery.

I also am glad to know that we shouldn't let people know about give-aways. I don't gain any business, money, or tips from my blog and my give-aways are totally at my expense, but I wouldn't have known we shouldn't without all of this info. Thanks Julie!!!
My Blog - it has moved
My Website

A candle loses nothing from lighting another candle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2007, 05:45 PM   #194  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I suppose a freestanding blog link without some sort of message could look like it is in place of a message. It might be advisable that we say something before adding the link. On the other hand there are many, many gallery entries with out anything besides the recipe and I'm not sure its fair to hold bloggers to a higher standard.

An interesting point. Is there any way to make pictures not upload without info filled in in the recipe section? Perhaps the only part of the recipe that you shouldn't "have" to fill out is the technique line since sometimes there's not much "technique" to a card. ;) I know if you are filling out forms on the internet when you're buying something, etc. and you don't fill out "required fields" the page won't move forward, it goes back and usually points out where you missed filling something out. Just a thought? :confused:
My Blog - it has moved
My Website

A candle loses nothing from lighting another candle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #195  
Crimping Master

I don't think that's unreasonable at all! Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #196  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great! I just uploaded my first ever 6 cards and I put a quick note and a link to my blog. I had seen it done and anyhow I should have done more research first. I'm trying to change them now and I don't see the changes right away. that's normal right? Anyhow I'm trying to change them and am glad yall put this thread to help us know what is the right thing to do. It's so "me" to do the first ever thing wrong!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #197  
Hardware Hotshot

Erin... It's ok to put a link to your blog in addition to putting your card recipe basics in. It's just not so cool when people use the gallery to advertise contests, blog candy, or force people to the blog to see all the basic stuff about the cards. But you can still have the link in there!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:30 PM   #198  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks! Really I was just being lazy, but I went back in and fixed them. Also I don't know the names of all the colors. I'll just have to do my best and say generic stuff like, "various SU cardstocks" until I remember to jot them down as I create. I think I will put the description and the blog link because I LOVE finding new blogs, so I love it when other people do that.

Anyhow thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #199  
Matboard Maniac

I am glad to hear that SCS wants people to include the recipe in their post. I like to have a link to a blog in case I want to check it out, but I don't like having to go to a separate page every time I just want to see what supply was used on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #200  
Die Cut Diva

THANK YOU! You read my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes