Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Spectrum Noir question

I'm sure many of you jumped on the bandwagon when Spectrum Noirs first came on the market in the original square shape. It's common knowledge that there was a defect in design and the markers had a high failure rate due to drying out. I recently went through my original SN markers and found that 50% of the 66 I owned were bone dry and a few more are marginal. I'd put off sorting them out because, frankly, I didn't want to face how much money I wasted buying a flawed product that the company did not stand behind. I have purchased a few of the re-designed sets I hadn't gotten from the first generation, but haven't been able to bring myself to buy "duplicates" of those that dried out (paying double for the same product!)

Those of you who lost a lot of the original markers to dryness, what did you replace them with? Did you re-purchase them in the new design? Go with another brand of marker altogether? Just deal with the loss and have gaps in your usable colors? While I really like the good SN markers I have, I hesitate to buy replacements for the failed ones based on the fact that the manufacturer didn't stand behind their product to begin with.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I ended up buying replacements from someone who was selling her used (new style) sets. Like you, I was hesitant to re-buy sets that I had already spent money on. I have a lot of Copics, so the SN are really just fillers for me. I feel your aggravation and disappointment, and I hope you're able to sort this out in a way that works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t have any of their alcohol markers as I haven’t ventured into them yet. I have a few Copics, but not many. However I had a question about Spectrum Noir Clear glitter markers and I was about to post a question when I saw this thread. Today I was putting some “glitter” on top of something I had stamped, and it took the colour out completely and was “eating/destroying” the paper (Neena White). Maddening as it usually the last thing you do to a card, and then it’s ruined! However I was able to save it by stamping the image on a separate piece of paper and die cutting it out and adhering it on top of the other image. Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective marker? OP, I wouldn’t be happy if I spent a lot of money on markers that dried out quickly, and feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura339View Post
I don�t have any of their alcohol markers as I haven�t ventured into them yet. I have a few Copics, but not many. However I had a question about Spectrum Noir Clear glitter markers and I was about to post a question when I saw this thread. Today I was putting some �glitter� on top of something I had stamped, and it took the colour out completely and was �eating/destroying� the paper (Neena White). Maddening as it usually the last thing you do to a card, and then it�s ruined! However I was able to save it by stamping the image on a separate piece of paper and die cutting it out and adhering it on top of the other image. Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective marker? OP, I wouldn�t be happy if I spent a lot of money on markers that dried out quickly, and feel your pain.
If you used a water-based ink to stamp or color with, then the clear glitter markers can pull the color out and over-saturate the paper, unless it's watercolor paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I got rid of all of my original-style Spectrums when we moved across country (sold them dirt cheap at my yard sale). I have since replaced them all (and added more) when they were on a great sale. I also have a handful of Prismacolor markers, a handful of Sharpies, and all of the Bic MarkIts. They all play well together...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I absolutely love the SN clear glitter pens. I can't say I've noticed this problem on either watercolour or regular white cardstock. Yes, with water-soluble mediums it can dilute and lighten the colour a little, but I've not noticed any degradation of the paper. The most fading I have noticed was with Mermaid Markers, less so with watercolor pencils, paints and distress inks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura339View Post
I don�t have any of their alcohol markers as I haven�t ventured into them yet. I have a few Copics, but not many. However I had a question about Spectrum Noir Clear glitter markers and I was about to post a question when I saw this thread. Today I was putting some �glitter� on top of something I had stamped, and it took the colour out completely and was �eating/destroying� the paper (Neena White). Maddening as it usually the last thing you do to a card, and then it�s ruined! However I was able to save it by stamping the image on a separate piece of paper and die cutting it out and adhering it on top of the other image. Has anyone else had this problem or do I have a defective marker? OP, I wouldn�t be happy if I spent a lot of money on markers that dried out quickly, and feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I've replaced some of my old spectrum noirs with the new ones when I had 50-60% off coupons, but I haven't replaced all of them. I've been trying other brands as I find them and feel the "need", just not copics, because I'm too cheap. :-D

I have used denatured alcohol to refresh some of my dried out SN's when I needed a certain color, but that doesn't seem to be a permanent solution, so it's almost more annoying than it's worth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, this explains why the Spectrum Noir Markers have been on clearance at AC Moore for quite a while. After months of resisting, I gave in the other day and bought a pack of skin tone markers. I think it was a pack of 6 for $7.88, so pretty cheap, but I need to try them all now and see how many are dried out. I don’t have any others, and had no idea there was a problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 01:56 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My full set of original markers had problems with drying out - some were already dry when first opened.
My crafting money doesn't grow on trees.
I felt Spectrum Noir's attitude toward their customers by refusing to stand behind their defective product was unconscionable and will never buy any of their products again. I replaced most of mine with various other brands including Copics, Prismacolor and just recently got the new SU blending markers. Cripes with the cost of the defective SN ones and then the replacements, I would have been better off just buying Copics to begin with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

In another thread, Buggainok linked to these markers: Amazon.com: Shuttle Art 50 Colors Dual Tip Art Markers, Permanent Marker Pens Highlighters with Case Perfect for Illustration Adult Coloring Sketching and Card Making
They're relatively inexpensive and have good reviews...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If Buggainok says they're OK, they must be OK! She knows her stuff. :-) I think I need to sit down and analyze what SN colors I have that work, colors I have in other brands (Copics, Bic, Sharpie, etc.) and see what gaps I have overall. Still turns my stomach at the amount of money that was wasted, but it's time to get over it and make a little lemonade out of the experience!

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I came in after that happened...and got mine over at Consumer Crafts-really good prices on them-like right now a 24 pack is 24.97. I cant afford copics nor would I fuss with refills. I only got one set of skin tones. (part of my quest-I have like 7 products for skin tones...what I need to do is take a freakin class already)

That was lousy of them....*IF* you decide you want to plug a few holes-
ConsumerCrafts - Search - Spectrum Noir | ConsumerCrafts

I am crushing on watercolors...and if I can master those I may not replace the pens when they are gone. It is a very different look.

Lynne it has been a WHILE now since that happened-I would be surprised if any of that bad product is still in the world. With all the chatter about it I would be mad at a vendor who was still selling them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I came in after that happened...and got mine over at Consumer Crafts-really good prices on them-like right now a 24 pack is 24.97. I cant afford copics nor would I fuss with refills. I only got one set of skin tones. (part of my quest-I have like 7 products for skin tones...what I need to do is take a freakin class already)

That was lousy of them....*IF* you decide you want to plug a few holes-
ConsumerCrafts - Search - Spectrum Noir | ConsumerCrafts

I am crushing on watercolors...and if I can master those I may not replace the pens when they are gone. It is a very different look.

Lynne it has been a WHILE now since that happened-I would be surprised if any of that bad product is still in the world. With all the chatter about it I would be mad at a vendor who was still selling them.
Ok, so what I saw in the store is probably what is pictured in the link you shared. They’re $8.97, and I paid $7.88. Cheaper, but not really the clearance price it was declared to be. Live and learn. At least I probably have usable markers.
Thanks.

Now if I can remember where I put them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night I ordered all 6 of the 24-packs from Consumer Crafts. Since it was my first order I saved 10% by signing up for emails so they ended up being $22.47 each. Free shipping too! 94 cents/pen isn't too bad.

My order of the 12 sets of 6 markers is being delivered tomorrow. I can't wait!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2018, 04:27 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Ok, so what I saw in the store is probably what is pictured in the link you shared. They�re $8.97, and I paid $7.88. Cheaper, but not really the clearance price it was declared to be. Live and learn. At least I probably have usable markers.
Thanks.

Now if I can remember where I put them.
Manufacturer's list price on the 6-packs is $11.99 so the price you got was pretty good. Consumer Crafts is always discounted. That's where I got mine.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Manufacturer's list price on the 6-packs is $11.99 so the price you got was pretty good. Consumer Crafts is always discounted. That's where I got mine.
Thank you for that. I was in the store yesterday. They list the original price as $14.99, on clearance for $7.88. They have a ton of six packs. Maybe I�ll buy some more colors. I tried out the ones I bought, and they all work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Consumer Crafts and ask if they will replace the ones that are dried out. They replaced 4 of mine, although it did take a long time to get them.

I also have a problem with a couple of the new markers. Instead of the cap opening, they sometimes open up to the inside of the marker.

I would love to know if the Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers have any issues at all. They are supposed to be as good if not better than Copics.

That being said, I wish I had slowly started a collection of the Copic Ciao Markers. I like how small they are for storage and I think they blend a touch better than SN’s and I like the brush nib. I have 6 of them and would probably get more as I can afford it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default S

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbftView Post
I'm sure many of you jumped on the bandwagon when Spectrum Noirs first came on the market in the original square shape. It's common knowledge that there was a defect in design and the markers had a high failure rate due to drying out. I recently went through my original SN markers and found that 50% of the 66 I owned were bone dry and a few more are marginal.

I have a complete SN collection of the square (first generation) and the hexagonal (next generation) alcohol markers and have not had any problems with dried out markers. I feel like I won the lottery since I had no idea there were any issues. 😃

Does anyone have a list of color matches between SN and SU blends? A quick reference would be so helpful since I bought SN before blends were offered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 07:12 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I had no idea that was even an issue. I have a full set of 72 of the original style and tested many recently to sell. Now I will have to go back through to make sure everyone is ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
Wow, I had no idea that was even an issue. I have a full set of 72 of the original style and tested many recently to sell. Now I will have to go back through to make sure everyone is ok.

Yes, unfortunately that was a big thing several years back. I had 3 sets of the 24 packs and some of them were dry right out of the box. What a disappointment and frustration. I also had a couple of 6 packs, and although none of them were dry when I first opened them, they dried out within months. I went back and forth with Crafter's Companion US, and they offered a discount to purchase new ones from them on their website. When I pointed out that they had a product issue, and that a discount for new ones didn't satisfy me, they did end up replacing the dry ones with the newer design. However, the markers that weren't dry to begin with began to dry out quickly over time so I ended up buying refills for some of them. Since the design flaw is in the actual marker, refilling them doesn't last long either.

To make it even worse, some of my refill bottles, which were still factory-sealed, were dry when I finally opened them up to refill markers, argh!! I was able to add plain alcohol to rehydrate them but honestly....

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes