Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolleyTXView Post
My name is Holley; With an EY (like the carburetor)---that's because dad spelled the name on the paperwork, lol.
I dated a guy who always spelled my name with an 'ey'.

I was like, dude, I'm named after the Christmas bush with thorny leaves and poisonous berries, what's with the 'ey'?

And he was, well that's how the carburator's spelled.

Mechanical engineers. . . .
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
Plus all of us here, of course. Wonder what the percentage is of Hollys *not* born in December. . . . .
I would be one! That's the 'Ho' part in my SCS 'HoJo'. Born in June.[/QUOTE]

Well, you *do* have a December half-birthday. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #43  
blaBBermouth

Quote:

Originally Posted by bambi64View Post
I went to school with a few Holly's but I was the only Amber. Still am in this little town. It was the pits growing up as it was so hard to find my name on stuff but not hard for my sister Jennifer! but I do love being an Amber as it is so unusal. I did go to church for a while with another Amber (until her family left) and we actually had the same middle name too: Amber Joy! One year for Halloween we dressed up as siamese twins joined at the hips! lol
Um....I'm an Amber Joy, only spelled Joye. Yeah, not sure what made my parents add the "e" to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 AM   #44  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
What do you have against Turkeys?? ;) I was born on Thanksgiving so it makes an easy screen name that I can always remember.
What do I have against Turkey's? Well, let's see... they're dumb and ugly... is that not enough? I do admit they are quite tasty, though! hahaha!

I do note that your parents didn't name you Turkey either ;). Thanks God!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

There are 3 "Ambers" in my daughters middle school- such a pretty name.
(not stripperish at all- lol) There are a few famous Ambers now so maybe that has helped in that area??? and I hear it being used on tv shows & such.
If I have a girl her name will be Amber. It means "precious jewel"
(I try to avoid the top ten list)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Well, I guess I'm one of those over-represented Deborah's here. Although I refuse to go by Debbie. Call me Deb, please. ;)

My DD is Katie and I had no earthly idea how popular that name was or I might have reconsidered. I named her after a friend's daughter. My son is Daniel, very popular, but he was named after my father.

My youngest is Mary, again named after her grandmothers. But surprisingly, Mary is not common at all for little girls right now. I did call her Bella as a nickname for a while as a shortened version of her middle name. But with the advent of the Twilight craze, Bella has become WAY to popular for me. So now I only call her Mary.
Yep, I'm a Debora. My mom spelled it kinda weird but I do go by Debbie. If you call me Debora, I don't respond very quickly!;):mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Hollie checking in! Born in June (in the 1950's!), birth certificate says Holly, but I changed it in 7th grade when I wanted to be different. I still get the Christmas question though.

And yep, I'm a Hollie Beth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
I'm a Holly (an old one, too! LOL). My parents had intended to name me Carole as I was due on Christmas day... sure glad they didn't! Although my maiden name was Holly Reinders (yup, I got Holly Reindeer a lot!). As for creativity, I was just discussing this with someone else a day or two ago. Until I was in my late 30s, I did not have a creative bone in my body.

I don't think my parents gave the name too much thought. I, however, named my boys by what I had "planned" for their life. Of course, none of them are doing what I planned! LOL Rats, foiled again.
It's a good thing you weren't a boy, or would they have named you Rudolph Reinder?

There are three siblings in my son's school with the last name Beech, and their first names are Coral, Sandy and Rocky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #49  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post
It's a good thing you weren't a boy, or would they have named you Rudolph Reinder?

There are three siblings in my son's school with the last name Beech, and their first names are Coral, Sandy and Rocky.
Oh lord. See me rolling my eyes at you? LOL You would not believe how many times I was asked if I had a brother named Rudy. I do have two brothers, but my parents LIKED them and gave them fairly normal names.

Our parents were just a little twisted, though. They gave us rhyming middle names. So when we were all in trouble at the same time and the middle names came out, it was sorta sing-songy!

My name was always a thorn in my side growing up. Even my initials were HER. When I married, my initials became HEM. So many jokes about having a sex change operation upon marriage. I kinda got a kick out of it, too, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's MommyView Post
I'm a Rachel (no extra "a" in there for me). There were 6 of us (I think 3 had the extra "a") in my class junior year of high school!
Amen, sister! I'd *finally* gotten to where I didn't have to automatically spell my name for people when opening accounts, etc. and then Rachael Ray had to go and get famous! :rolleyes:

There were three other girls named Rachel at my elementary school -- fortunately none in my grade, but it made things interesting in the cafeteria at lunchtime! One of them had a younger sister named Rebecca, as do I! Anybody else notice how often when parents have a daughter named Rachel, the next one is named Rebecca? Also, one of the boys in my class had a younger sister named Rachel whose birthday was the day before mine!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 10:19 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Amber... <---- is definitely a precious jewel..just ask my hubby...but dont ask the boys...lol
Loving this thread..

Oh and turkeys are good to EAT!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Oh lord. See me rolling my eyes at you? LOL You would not believe how many times I was asked if I had a brother named Rudy. I do have two brothers, but my parents LIKED them and gave them fairly normal names.

Our parents were just a little twisted, though. They gave us rhyming middle names. So when we were all in trouble at the same time and the middle names came out, it was sorta sing-songy!

My name was always a thorn in my side growing up. Even my initials were HER. When I married, my initials became HEM. So many jokes about having a sex change operation upon marriage. I kinda got a kick out of it, too, though.
I know how you feel. My initials are EAR or ERA if you use monogram.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post

Ha, I went to school with a girl who went by "Dusty" since her mom was Wendy and her dad was Sandy..and wind and sand make dust.

As a teacher, can I beg and plead everyone to either (a) give your child the name you want him/her to be called or (b) at least make the nickname be somewhat related to his/her real name?

Although I am glad that it seems the peak of Brittney/Britany/Brittanie/Britney is over for high schoolers.

And how many of you born in the 70s have either Anne, Marie, or Lynn as a middle name? (raises hand!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtgchicView Post
Ha, I went to school with a girl who went by "Dusty" since her mom was Wendy and her dad was Sandy..and wind and sand make dust.

As a teacher, can I beg and plead everyone to either (a) give your child the name you want him/her to be called or (b) at least make the nickname be somewhat related to his/her real name?

Although I am glad that it seems the peak of Brittney/Britany/Brittanie/Britney is over for high schoolers.

And how many of you born in the 70s have either Anne, Marie, or Lynn as a middle name? (raises hand!)
My family gets the hat trick for these middle names. I'm Anne and my sisters are Marie and Lynn! My daugther is Marie as her middle name since I named her after an Aunt and her middle name is Marie.

The nickname thing does bug me sometimes with kids. Vivi (Viv E) is what we usually call our Vivian but more an more it's Viv. Sometimes people want to pronounce it Veye Veye (like eye ball) but if you think about the nickname it's exactly what nicknames are supposed to be... a shortened version of the name. Viv ian = Viv e sound.

Oh names such an interesting topic. At least none of us picked Pilot Inspecktor like that goofy actor named his son (that poor kid).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #55  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4dView Post
Amen, sister! I'd *finally* gotten to where I didn't have to automatically spell my name for people when opening accounts, etc. and then Rachael Ray had to go and get famous! :rolleyes:

There were three other girls named Rachel at my elementary school -- fortunately none in my grade, but it made things interesting in the cafeteria at lunchtime! One of them had a younger sister named Rebecca, as do I! Anybody else notice how often when parents have a daughter named Rachel, the next one is named Rebecca? Also, one of the boys in my class had a younger sister named Rachel whose birthday was the day before mine!
Totally my sister is Rebecca! What is the deal with those two names going together? I guess it's the Bible story that has stuck those two names together forever??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Just wondering how many Sunny's (real name) are out there. I have only met one, whose real name was Sunny and I have met about 5 with the nickname Sunny.

Save The Frogs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

That is so funny- almost all of my friends (born in the 70's) have Marie, Lynn or Ann as a middle name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

My family gets the hat trick for these middle names. I'm Anne and my sisters are Marie and Lynn!
Teehee, same with my sisters & me! And one of my sisters named her kids Tyler & Kaitlyn, which I think were "the" names of the 90s! I guess our families aren't the biggest trendsetters!

Quote:

The nickname thing does bug me sometimes with kids. Vivi (Viv E) is what we usually call our Vivian but more an more it's Viv. Sometimes people want to pronounce it Veye Veye (like eye ball) but if you think about the nickname it's exactly what nicknames are supposed to be... a shortened version of the name. Viv ian = Viv e sound.
Oh, sure they go with the long "i" for Vivi...just like when they call my husband "eye"an instead of Ian! (btw, Vivi and Vivian are such cute names!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, good point - there ARE a lot of Amber/Holly names here on SCS!!!! I'm a Rebekah, and there's not too many of us Even Microsoft Word spells my name wrong!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Hey! Another Amber checkin' in, lol! Amber Dawn! I actually know quite a few Amber's and we were all born in the early 80's, maybe it's an 80's name, lol! I have a SIL named Holly and I ADORE that name! She's a 70's baby
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #61  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'm a Deborah - I think that there are many of us - born in a certain time period. I have two close friends - Deborah Anne and Debra Ann . Guess what? When Debra got married many years ago - we other two Deborah's were the bridesmaids. All of us looked when the name Deb, Debbie or Deborah was mentioned!!

And my friend Debra - belongs to a cookie swap group where there are 7 Deborah/Debra/Debbies and one Harriet!! How likely is that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #62  
Full of Malarky

In homeroom in high school - there were sisters named -

Rose Garden - the last name was Garden
And Holly Garden

And a guy name Rock Gardener. You wonder what parents are thinking?

We gave our boys good solid timeless names - or so we think

Daniel - now Dan

And William - and at the age of 20 - he is sticking with the full name of William.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #63  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
Yep, I'm a Debora. My mom spelled it kinda weird but I do go by Debbie. If you call me Debora, I don't respond very quickly!;):mrgreen:

hahah! I'm the opposite - say Debbie and I think you mean me? My sister is Kathleen - and she's hung up the phone on people who have called and asked for Kathy - she is so not Kathy that it didn't register with her that it could be her!;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

Lynn (Lyn, Lynne) also sems to be a popular name on here and other forums yet when I was at school I never met another Lynn - plenty of Lindas and people would then think my name was a shortened version of Linda.
My parents were going to name me Lynette but decided it would end up shortened to Lynn anyway!!

The name Lynn, originally a male name, is a good Welsh/Celtic name.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

I realized that there are alot of Tanyas on SCS, Spelled Tanya, not the other ways.
Its great, usually i had to deal with people spelling my name wrong. Gotta love this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #66  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawnView Post
Hey! Another Amber checkin' in, lol! Amber Dawn! I actually know quite a few Amber's and we were all born in the early 80's, maybe it's an 80's name, lol! I have a SIL named Holly and I ADORE that name! She's a 70's baby
Oh my word. I officially feel old. I graduated before you were born. When did that happen?? I use to be the youngest of my friends and all of the sudden I am the old lady. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!!

And yes, my bf back in high school named her daughter Amber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyfullyhisView Post
Wow, good point - there ARE a lot of Amber/Holly names here on SCS!!!! I'm a Rebekah, and there's not too many of us Even Microsoft Word spells my name wrong!!!
I have a cousin named Rebekah - I think my aunt and uncle did that so that it would be different from my sister, who was born the year before. At least my sister goes by Becky so that helped. What was really a mess was that my dad and my uncle are BOTH named Michael, so whenever they came to visit we had two different sets of kids calling different people "Uncle Michael" which got a bit confusing! Also, "Rachel" sounds kind of like "Michael" when it's yelled from the other end of the house, especially since you don't always hear the first syllable when someone's calling your name.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Oh my word. I officially feel old. I graduated before you were born. When did that happen?? I use to be the youngest of my friends and all of the sudden I am the old lady. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!!

And yes, my bf back in high school named her daughter Amber.
I know what you mean! I joke with one of my daughter's teachers that I'm too old to have babysat her. She was born the year after I graduated from high school. And she's not the youngest of the teachers in our lives.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

My name is Beth Anne, Not Elizabeth so I could actually have a nickname. However, a good number of Beths seem to have the middle name of Ann/Anne. My initials were BAA often imitating a sheep, Now my married initials are BAD. I like the change. I have a sister named Coral Jean. I'd never met another until I was out of college. Interestingly the middle name always seems to be Jean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #70  
Vintage Vixen

My name (Karen) was in the top 10 girls' names for 17 years! From 1951-1968, peaking at #3 in in 1965. (It was 4th in popularity the year I was born.) I've known a lot of Karens over the years, including one of my best friends when I was growing up. At one time, one of the threads I chatted on here on SCS had 3 Karens actively posting. We always used our screen names to identify which Karen we were talking to.

The main reason I was named Karen was because my parents were looking for a name that began with K (older brothers' names both begin with K), and had not already been used in the family. My dad has 12 siblings and we have more than 50 first cousins so many K names had already been used.

Also, my parents wanted fairly mainstream names, no wild spellings, and nothing that could shortened or nicknamed (that is one of my mom's pet peeves I found out!) None of us has a bad monogram either. A friend of mine named his kid so that his monogram was A-S-S. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM   #71  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Yep, this is one of my mom's pet peeves! She was a "lunch lady" for 30 years at an elementary school and had to deal with figuring out which kid the lunch money was for when the parent wrote a check or note and didn't put the kid's real name on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

I knew 1 Amber and 1 Holly growing up. Now I only know my friend's daughter who is Holly- she's 5.

I'm a Michelle and I had 3 other Michelle's in my class for the first 3 yrs until we moved and I got to change schools. There was only 1 other until high school where there were a ton more! One of my best friend's is named Michelle

We wanted different but not too out there names for our kids. My daughter is
Alyssa Avery (4) and my son is Emerson Marshall (2)

Check out my blog! www.sunfaeriecreations.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes