Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Day. Again.

Today is supposed to be a blizzard. Like meets the weather service criteria, which doesn't often happen here in NE Kansas. Anyhow, I'm here at home off work again (not complaining there!) and will likely spend a lot of time in my craft room with DD and her friend (whose mom & dad didn't get the day off). Hoping to make some valentines, maybe some birthday cards for the next month or so, etc. Is it a bad sign that I stocked up on adhesive along with toilet paper and diet pepsi last night?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Wisdom, Diana. That shows wisdom. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

We are on snow day #8 here in CT ... the first 7 occurring in January alone! Tomorrow looks bad as well.

We have not had this much snow since 1995. It has been crazy. The piles are so high, the highway department can't plow it back far enough and visibility is terrible.

Here are some pictures from around our house. In the first picture, the measuring device is a yardstick, and as you can see, the snow is above it. The third picture is of my mailbox. My husband built an A frame to protect it from the plow.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow Day.  Again.-side-driveway.jpg   Snow Day.  Again.-snow-roof.jpg   Snow Day.  Again.-mailbox.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHappyInCTView Post
We are on snow day #8 here in CT ... the first 7 occurring in January alone! Tomorrow looks bad as well.

We have not had this much snow since 1995. It has been crazy. The piles are so high, the highway department can't plow it back far enough and visibility is terrible.

Here are some pictures from around our house. In the first picture, the measuring device is a yardstick, and as you can see, the snow is above it. The third picture is of my mailbox. My husband built an A frame to protect it from the plow.
WOW, that's a lot of snow! We are getting snow right now and there's more to come. There's not much stamping time with all three kiddos home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The snow that you are getting now is on it's way up to southern Ontario - we are told to expect 30 - 40 cm starting late this afternoon and lasting overnight. Normally, this wouldn't be considered much compared to the dumping that you in the midwest have been getting, but for our little tropical corner of Canada, this is a ton at one time. Enough to have the weather service put us on a watch, and for there to be talk of closing the University here (which has only happened twice in my 23 years of employment here - once for a snow day, and once for the power outage that took out the grid in most of the province of Ontario and parts of the states as well).

But, since my kids are old enough to look after themselves (thirteen & eighteen), I can snuggle up and craft away all day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

We're in for 5-9 inches of snow today, and ice tomorrow. It has been changing over from snow to sleet and back again all morning. Right now it's sleeting again.

Edited to add: Our governor is urging CT residents to purchase flood insurance in anticipation of flooding that will most likely occur once all this snow begins to melt. What a scary thought!

Last edited by StampinHappyInCT; 02-01-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, here in Daytona Beach, FL, it is 70 degrees now and working it's way up to 76 this afternoon. However, I will say that we have had some cold weather this winter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Oh, I miss the days when snow was surprising! I grew up in the high desert in CA. Snow used to be a real treat. Now, it is fact of life for 9 months outa the year! Happy snow day ladies! Enjoy your free time today! Happy Crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymuxmanView Post
Well, here in Daytona Beach, FL, it is 70 degrees now and working it's way up to 76 this afternoon. However, I will say that we have had some cold weather this winter.
I don't like you! :p Just kidding of course, I am actually just jealous of you at the moment. At the moment it is -10 C (which is like 14 F) here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I don't know what oru current temp is. Don't WANT to know. Snow is coming down much harder now, but sideways because of the wind. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 8, low of -12. I'm thinking we may or may not have school tomorrow as that's awful cold for the number of kids who walk to school in our city.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I dont miss the snow...we moved to Vegas from the Midwest (Northern Illinois area). I see all the snow they are getting this year and I am so grateful I am not there...BUT it is hard to get a snow day here...stay safe ladies and enjoy the extra time in those stamp rooms.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Right now we are covered in ice, snow will be coming later this afternoon. This is the third day off from school for the kids. I am really missing the beaches in Hawaii now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm smack dab in the middle of the blizzard here in Oklahoma City. Our new governor declared a State of Emergency here before a flake even fell, so we were as prepared as we could be.

Everything here is shut down, malls, schools, etc. We have several nationwide large call centers here, Dell, Sprint, Hertz, and they are all closed because no one could get into work.

We got anywhere from 10" to 18" inches, but the winds are gusting to 40-50 mph so even though the snow has stopped falling, we have whiteout conditions, huge snowdrifts, and a 20 below zero windchill.

The good news is that there have been very few actual accidents. I guess nobody can go fast enough to crash, lol. People seem to be heeding the strong warnings to stay off the roads unless you are essential personnel, emergency or medical, police, etc.

My poor dd has 6 kids from age 11 down to 3 and they are driving her crazy wanting to go out and play in the snow. They can't understand that with a temperature of 6 degrees and winds gusting to 50, you would FREEZE in a heartbeat!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

Yep....I am not far away from flash&rusty in Windsor and the storm is supposed to hit here tonight. Tomorrow is a PD day anyways so no school for the kids so I don't know how many of my daycare kids will be here with me. Too bad the winds are going to be so strong or we could be outside playing in the snow.
I sure could use a day off to stamp though!! Maybe my city will shut down too...will wait and see.
Stay warm and cozy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here in Ohio we are bracing for more ice. The kids were off of school today and from the way it sounds, they will be off again tomorrow. We'll probably be making up days into July!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I'm here is Missouri watching it sleet. It's been sleeting since early this morning. I am just thanking God that its not freezing rain like the weather men thought. We are supposed to be getting a big round of snow and I am praying that won't happen! I will probably be stuck in the house with my 3 girls, oldest DD's boyfriend and the hubby. The only thing that will keep me sane is stamping!! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
Here in Ohio we are bracing for more ice. The kids were off of school today and from the way it sounds, they will be off again tomorrow. We'll probably be making up days into July!
We are right on the line of ice/snow. We have ice right now and will tonight, but looks like we may get a couple of inches of snow on top of that. Such fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

They closed our mall. They closed our courts. That's the first time I remember either one of those being closed. DH works for AT&T and their store is closing early. I heard even Walmart closed. Now THAT is bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #19  

Quote:

Same here...it looks like the ice is on the way. Our weather forecaster just said that we could get up to 1/2" of ice....Yikes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Bugga, I'm right here with ya! My husband spent much of his day shoveling our driveway and walkways. We found out our corner 7-11 is open, so we thought we'd try that. He had also shoveled our corner earlier in the day to make it easier for those trying to drive out. But the wind had blown the snow back into the path he had made, and he got stuck. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed that none of our neighbors offered to help him get unstuck while he was digging himself out for an hour! :0

On a good note, I've been at UPS for 20 years (come April), and I've NEVER seen them stop operation here because of any kind of storm. It's closed today, and tonight. amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, it was 75 here in SW FL today but won't dwell on that. I talked to my niece in central MO and they were expecting 14-16". The University is closed which is very, very unusual. I-70 was closed in central Missouri which is also unheard of. I just hope everyone takes this seriously and doesn't try to get out just because they can.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

All I can say is at least the we have power and heat. We are eating good tonight! Coconut chicken Yum!

I will NOT shovel or deice the cars till the freezing rain/sleet stops. Really is not worth it, is it??? Hubby is out of town till the 9th, yep how lucky is that. He will never know if I don't shovel or deice the cars now will he. Noone will tell on me, will they???

And my dd and ds are enjoying their time off from school to, tomorrow another sleep in day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

StampinHappyInCT you might want to seriously think about getting all that heavy snow off the off before it collapses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Today is supposed to be a blizzard. Like meets the weather service criteria, which doesn't often happen here in NE Kansas. Anyhow, I'm here at home off work again (not complaining there!) and will likely spend a lot of time in my craft room with DD and her friend (whose mom & dad didn't get the day off). Hoping to make some valentines, maybe some birthday cards for the next month or so, etc. Is it a bad sign that I stocked up on adhesive along with toilet paper and diet pepsi last night?
sounds like you have the necessities of life :lol: Hope the electricity and all stays on and you can enjoy your day off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

What part of Ohio are you in? Here in the northwest ( between Lima and Defiance) we are getting ready for more snow and ice. Schools are already canceled for tomorrow and many of the factories have canceled shifts for tonight and tomorrow morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeneyView Post
We are right on the line of ice/snow. We have ice right now and will tonight, but looks like we may get a couple of inches of snow on top of that. Such fun!
Sounds like all of us Ohioans are going to get snow and ice. Hopefully not enough to wipe out the electricity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
Yep....I am not far away from flash&rusty in Windsor and the storm is supposed to hit here tonight. Tomorrow is a PD day anyways so no school for the kids so I don't know how many of my daycare kids will be here with me. Too bad the winds are going to be so strong or we could be outside playing in the snow.
I sure could use a day off to stamp though!! Maybe my city will shut down too...will wait and see.
Stay warm and cozy.
Yes, I am an hour northeast of Windsor, and we are bracing for this silliness - I am so over snow...but I guess it doesn't matter.

Hubby sold his snowmobiles in November and is really kicking himself now lol!

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Proud DT Member for CAS-ual Fridays Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
Bugga, I'm right here with ya! My husband spent much of his day shoveling our driveway and walkways. We found out our corner 7-11 is open, so we thought we'd try that. He had also shoveled our corner earlier in the day to make it easier for those trying to drive out. But the wind had blown the snow back into the path he had made, and he got stuck. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed that none of our neighbors offered to help him get unstuck while he was digging himself out for an hour! :0

On a good note, I've been at UPS for 20 years (come April), and I've NEVER seen them stop operation here because of any kind of storm. It's closed today, and tonight. amazing.
Here in St. Louis we also had an ice storm and are waiting for a big snowfall. Everything is closed, schools, malls, no trash pickup but to my surprise the UPS driver delivered my Stampin Up order today. What a guy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Heck, we're even getting snow down here in southern New Mexico. Not enough to call it a snow day by my standards (since I grew up in Wisconsin), but since most people around here don't have a clue of how to drive on snow, we were sent home early today and told not to go to work tomorrow unless they call us. Wusses. But I'll take a day off with no complaints. Might even shovel my driveway tomorrow, for old times sake, rather than waiting for the 50 degree weather we've been forcasted for this coming weekend. Am I sick that I actually miss real snow? Been stuck in this sucky place for six long years. I am certainly willing to put up with a northern tier winter in exchange to have green grass and trees again. I was never meant to live in the desert. IMO the desert is someplace you deploy to, not somewhere you live. Hopefully enough falls tonight so we can scrap enough snow together in our river rock landscaped front yard with our 4 year old son to makke a small snowman. Both Grammas will love the pictures from it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I don't mind the snow. I do mind the -12 forecast for tonight. And the -30 wind chills.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #31  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymuxmanView Post
i'll second that, from Orlando (don't be a hater!). i don't want the snow, but i'd could sure use a SNOW-DAY or two! :p
Old 02-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
Well, it was 75 here in SW FL today but won't dwell on that. I talked to my niece in central MO and they were expecting 14-16". The University is closed which is very, very unusual. I-70 was closed in central Missouri which is also unheard of. I just hope everyone takes this seriously and doesn't try to get out just because they can.

Wanda
Where in SW Fl are you? I am actually on vacation in Ft. Myers Beach. I live in the Chgo suburbs, so I am feeling a little bad that my children are home putting up with the blizzard and I am watcing the dolphins play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I was SO excited to get a SNOW DAY today here in MI! This was the first time in at least 5 years my work closed for snow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Default Woo hoo! Snow Day!

Am also on a snow day here on Southern Ontario! We didn't get as much as they predicted where I live, although it's still snowing now. But that's ok . . . it's a SNOW DAY!!!!!! I'm working on my first RAK to send out and I'm just thrilled to have the day off to stamp!

Have an awesome day everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #35  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gailsView Post
Where in SW Fl are you? I am actually on vacation in Ft. Myers Beach. I live in the Chgo suburbs, so I am feeling a little bad that my children are home putting up with the blizzard and I am watcing the dolphins play.
small world. i grew up in the Chi-town suburbs and my family is still there. they're sending pictures of the snow, and drifts. did you see the news? Chicago's weather is all over it here in Orlando.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

I'm in NE Ohio and although the ice hit last night and more snow today there are no snow days in my line of work. As an emergency room nurse employer never sends you home early or gives you snow day off. More often they ask you to work over cause some other poor soul never invested in proper transportation for our climate.

So enjoy your snow day(s) and post some pics of what you accomplished.

Hope everyone is safe and warm wherever you are.

Christy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuesday I needed to run a couple of errands for my dh. So took all the back roads. Not really thinking it would be that bad.

Well most of the roads were already covered with blowing and drifting snow.

But since I had already started out on those roads I stayed with them.

I really needed to stop by Hobby Lobby and get some more Tape for my Glue pro Tape gun.

I came home and then dh came home and then went out and with the snowblower and cleaned the driveway.

We always back our trucks in.

He went out again before we lost power.. around 9:pm and cleaned it again.

We both went to bed around 9:30 Mostly because he had to get up around 2:30 to get ready for work.

And since we didn't have any power. I went to bed too.

Just a few min's ago, Dh called and told me he didn't get to work until 9: am.
He took the metra Train into Chicago. and he left at 4:30 this morning on the train.

We live 50 miles west of Chicago. 4 1/2 hours by train...That's Crazy!!

and he won't be home until after 9 pm tonight. And then he and I will clean the driveway again before going to bed.

I know we have a 3 foot drift by the back door and I really can't get out of the house.

So I'm staying inside where it is warmer.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by afdishView Post
Heck, we're even getting snow down here in southern New Mexico. Not enough to call it a snow day by my standards (since I grew up in Wisconsin), but since most people around here don't have a clue of how to drive on snow, we were sent home early today and told not to go to work tomorrow unless they call us. Wusses.
I'm in Wisconsin (Madison) and it wasn't pretty around here last night and this morning! Wish I could send you all the snow from our yard and terrace so we could see oncoming traffic on our road! Pretty much everything was closed today. The forecast kept changing for snow totals but I think we ended up with between 15-20 inches from back-to-back storms. Down by Racine/Kenosha they had 23+ so I guess we coud have had worse! Back to work tomorrow though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Tomorrow will be our third straight day of no school here in central Indiana. Not as much snow, but inches of ice.

Take heart, everyone! Phil did not see his shadow this morning, so get ready for that early spring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

I've been breathing for quite a few years and I can't remember a winter like this in NY. Snow every week since Christmas. Yesterday and today was an ice storm with snow expected this weekend. We have mountains of snow. The Connecticut photos posted look like the snow amounts we get here. I'm on Long Island which isn't that far from CT. It's just been horrible. I've been trying to figure out how I would lift my 90 lb greyhound should he (God forbid!) get hurt in the backyard. Can't wait for spring!!

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes