Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-10-2023, 02:12 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Slimline cards. Have you made any?

Hello ladies,

Just last week, I first heard about slimline cards. After watching some Youtube videos on them, and learning what all the're about, I ordered my first slimline dies, stamps and templates. I have not made a slimline card yet. But plan to, soon.

I just wanted to get opinions on your experience with making slimline cards. If you like making them, and just general feedback. I love the fact these cards fit in a #10 envelope and don't cost any extra postage (unless there are some embellishments).

Please forigve me for using the standard font size. I completely forgot how to make the font bigger, which I always use. I can read it much better, when the font is big. They may have done away with that option though.

Thank you!

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2023, 04:16 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

I like the challenge of making slimline cards. Something about the different format makes me see my supplies differently.

The ones I tend to make are smaller though... 3-1/2 x 6. I make envelopes using a punch board (WRMK) and patterned paper.

Hope you have fun with your new goodies and new layout!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
Chinocookie (05-11-2023), hoptownracer1 (06-11-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-11-2023), Teachybaby (05-17-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 04:53 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I have not really jumped on this trend, I prefer A2, 5x7 and 6"square cards. I used to make one a month for my landlords to enclose the rent check for handy mailing. (She has saved them all!)
My tips:
1. Check all around the internet, it is very popular and you can get lots of ideas beyond a basic card.
2. Write down all the measurements you need for cutting the card base and any layers on top. You won't have to reinvent the wheel every time you make one.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
Lamborghini Gal (05-11-2023), pepperann (05-13-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 05:07 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Adriana and Mary Beth, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I think I've been out of the loop a little too long, as I did just hear of these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2023, 05:38 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,775 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I make slimline cards and usually do not use dies. I own a lot of dies as I jumped on the bandwagon when I first knew about them. Basically I take a piece of cardstock, 8 1/2 X 11 inch size, place it in my trimmer and trim off 4 inches. That leaves a 7 inch by 8 1/2 inch piece of paper. I score it at 3 1/2 inches and that is my base. Then I make layers, often using that 4 inch piece I just cut away for my focal images. I found Jenny Card Designs to be helpful. She has templates, which I do not purchase, but watch her and write down her measurements or slow her down and create with her. I learned how to make my own envelope with her video. Now I have several colored envelopes in the #10 size.

I like the mini size that Adrianne is referring to. It is easy for using regular sized envelopes also. I know there are many cards in the gallery in both sizes for inspiration. If you need more, Crafty Al has many videos and templates using this size.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite

Last edited by lovinpaper; 05-11-2023 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: correcting my grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
Bravesfan Linda (05-17-2023), ChrisO (05-11-2023), fl_beachbum (05-14-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-11-2023), pepperann (05-13-2023), Teachybaby (05-17-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 06:00 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

When I make slimline cards, I mostly make the mini size. I have made some full-size slimlines too, though. They are a fun alternative to the standard A2 size that I usually make, although I can get two A2 cards from one piece of cardstock. With slimlines, I can only get two out of one sheet if I use extra-long cardstock (yes, of course I bought that, lol).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
hoptownracer1 (06-11-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-11-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 06:48 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Lisa, what a clever way to make a slimline card! Thanks for the suggestions.

Scrapjanny, I haven't heard of mini slimline cards. I like that idea too.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2023, 07:18 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I've made a few but have not bought any slimline dies-just use stamps & dies I have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Lamborghini Gal (05-12-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:28 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

Love love love Slimline. Here's my latest fancy fold ones I put on my blog.

I also do the smaller slimline ones that are 3 x 6 and use those standard envelopes you can get at the dollar store. I just jazz those up a bit and they work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by HOBBYSUE:
Lamborghini Gal (05-17-2023), lovinpaper (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 05:14 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I started making slimline cards about a year and a half ago. I usually only use them for family/friends' birthdays but also made one for a swap for one of the online groups I belong to. I really enjoy making them and usually use them to display a collection of images that the recipient would like. I like using this video from Gerry's Craft Room for different folds to use on slimline cards: Gerry (I believe she's based in The Netherlands) uses metric measurements in her instructions, but I converted them to Imperial without much difficulty.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bravesfan Linda:
Lamborghini Gal (05-17-2023), wavejumper (05-23-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 05:30 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I love to make slimline cards. I have about 3 sizes I make, but they all fit in standard size envelopes as I don't like to make envelopes. I didn't see the need to buy special dies. I have a heavy cardstock pattern of all the card sizes I make that I use as a template when planning my card. I lay it on my surface and either lay stamps on top to judge the look, or draw around it on the stack of old computer paper I work on, and sketch out my layout. The template have the size the cardstock needs to be cut written on them, so when I get to cutting the base, I simply use my paper cutter and score board. By the way, I have made a template for every size card I make for the same reason. They are always handy in a basket on my work table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 08:08 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Slimline is a current trend but it’s not new at all. I’ve been making them for many years. Companies are just now offering specific dies, stencils, stamps and embossing folders for them. So it seems new, especially to newer crafters.

I don’t tend to sit down intending to make a slimline card. Usually the paper or stamps I want to use don’t fit well/look right on a more traditional size. I’ve also make random sized cards if that’s what suits my layout. I have a few slimline specific products but they were a part of kits for a class or from a giveaway. I don’t intend to buy any unless I ADORE them and they aren’t available in A2 size.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebecca Ednie:
jeanne3579 (05-17-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 04:51 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I love to make slimline cards. I have about 3 sizes I make, but they all fit in standard size envelopes as I don't like to make envelopes. I didn't see the need to buy special dies. I have a heavy cardstock pattern of all the card sizes I make that I use as a template when planning my card. I lay it on my surface and either lay stamps on top to judge the look, or draw around it on the stack of old computer paper I work on, and sketch out my layout. The template have the size the cardstock needs to be cut written on them, so when I get to cutting the base, I simply use my paper cutter and score board. By the way, I have made a template for every size card I make for the same reason. They are always handy in a basket on my work table.
Would you be willing to share your templates with us so we don't have to "reinvent the wheel"?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by sylviad:
karel49455 (05-18-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-18-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 06:01 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylviadView Post
Would you be willing to share your templates with us so we don't have to "reinvent the wheel"?
Sure, but they are nothing more than the measurements of the cards I make. I cut them out of heavy cardstock and labeled the sizes. Here goes:
A-2: 5 1/2 x 4 1/4
A-6: 4 1/2 x 6 1/4
A-7: 5 x 7
Square: 5 1/2 x 5 1/2
Half Sheet: 5 1/2 x 8 `1/2
Small Business 3 1/2 x 6 1/2
Med. Slim: 8 1/2 x 3 5/8 (or 3 1/2)
sorry I don't know the names/numbers of all of these, but there are standard envelopes available for all of them. When cutting your cardstock, you will have to double one side (usually, but not always the smaller measurement), so you can fold it in half.

Sometimes I lay my stamps out on my template. Other times I draw around it on my pad so I can sketch out my drawing t see if it will fit or if I need to try a different size. HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 01:44 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Sure, but they are nothing more than the measurements of the cards I make. I cut them out of heavy cardstock and labeled the sizes. Here goes:
A-2: 5 1/2 x 4 1/4
A-6: 4 1/2 x 6 1/4
A-7: 5 x 7
Square: 5 1/2 x 5 1/2
Half Sheet: 5 1/2 x 8 `1/2
Small Business 3 1/2 x 6 1/2
Med. Slim: 8 1/2 x 3 5/8 (or 3 1/2)
sorry I don't know the names/numbers of all of these, but there are standard envelopes available for all of them. When cutting your cardstock, you will have to double one side (usually, but not always the smaller measurement), so you can fold it in half.

Sometimes I lay my stamps out on my template. Other times I draw around it on my pad so I can sketch out my drawing t see if it will fit or if I need to try a different size. HTH
Thanks. I'm going to try some of these hopefully today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 02:40 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Love these comments! I'm seeing so many different ways that slimline cards can be made. I guess I've been under a rock the last couple of years. LOL I may be late to this party, but I'm so glad I found it. I think it'll be fun to make one of these cards, and I love the fact that they can fit in a #10 envelope. <3

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2023, 07:58 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes. When I cut a piece of 12 x 12 cardstock to 8 1/2 x 11 it leaves a piece 3 1/2 x 12. This is the perfect mini slimline. So I get three cards out of a 12 x 12 sheet...2 size A2 and 1 mini slimeline.
Win Win
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by ondinesgirl:
hoptownracer1 (06-11-2023), jeanne3579 (05-19-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 12:30 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I like to make mini slim lines that are 6 X 3 so I can get 4 bases from a 12 X 12 piece of card stock. I use No. 6 3/4 envelopes from the Dollar Tree.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Stampin' Sooz:
fl_beachbum (05-21-2023), Lamborghini Gal (05-21-2023), Scrapjanny (05-20-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bravesfan LindaView Post
I started making slimline cards about a year and a half ago. I usually only use them for family/friends' birthdays but also made one for a swap for one of the online groups I belong to. I really enjoy making them and usually use them to display a collection of images that the recipient would like. I like using this video from Gerry's Craft Room for different folds to use on slimline cards: Gerry (I believe she's based in The Netherlands) uses metric measurements in her instructions, but I converted them to Imperial without much difficulty.
Thank you for sharing the video! The fun folds are great and I have printed her diagrams and at some point will work on translating them to the mini slimline size which I prefer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 12:16 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I did slimline cards back in the late 70's (we made them because they fit in the business size envelopes). I have made a couple, but don't really care for them. Spellbinders SDM club had one or rwo dies for slim line,and since I was a member, I did accept the order. Maybe I'm not into them because they were 'old school' and out of necessity because of the envelopes - 90% of my cards for my card ministry are A2 - only a few become A7 if the 'design' calls for more space.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-21-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Thank you for sharing that vid link-it is actually a 2-fer as she did a collaboration with Ardyth.

Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 06:07 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

When my dad passed away 5 years ago and we cleared out his apartment, he had an almost brand new box of #6 envelopes (3-5/8 by 6-1/2 ") that he used for mailing cheques. I kept them and that got me making mini slimlines. I seem to have plenty of stamps and a few dies that really suit that size and it makes a great change to the A2 or square cards that I made all the time.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (05-24-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

For mini slimline cards, there is not a standard measurement among companies, like there is for A2 or A7 cards. One company may use 3.5' X 6"; another may use 3.5" x 6.5". I ran into this problem because I use the first size, and ordered a die from a company who uses the second size. I didn't realize until I got the die.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2023, 02:03 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
For mini slimline cards, there is not a standard measurement among companies, like there is for A2 or A7 cards. One company may use 3.5' X 6"; another may use 3.5" x 6.5". I ran into this problem because I use the first size, and ordered a die from a company who uses the second size. I didn't realize until I got the die.
Yes, I've run into the same problem. It's quite annoying!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2023, 05:23 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Above post (not Susan's) reported as spam. (See the link.)

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 06-09-2023 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Spam has been deleted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 07:14 AM   #26  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Maddening. Especially since that size was based on an envelope size, like all other card sizes. Not sure why people decided to ad lib LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Lamborghini Gal (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 07:14 AM   #27  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Above post reported as spam. (See the link.)
Nabbed em. Appreciate you!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
Lamborghini Gal (06-09-2023), Scrapjanny (06-09-2023)