Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sizes for SU dies

Hi Just wondering if anyone knows the sizes of the shapes that these dies make??

Scallop Circles #2 <--- want to know the size of each scallop circle this makes
Page 207 in 2010/2011 Stampin up idea book

Ovals <--- want to know the size of each oval this die makes
Page 213 in 2010/2011 Stampin Up idea book
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Hey there! I moved your question to our general stamping forum where it will get more peeks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank You Very much for your help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even when I was a demo and called demonstrator support directly, no one could ever tell me the sizes and the information was never in the products guide available to demos. Anytime I find a sizzix die that isn't an SU exclusive, then I always go to Sizzix.com. Sizzix has sizes for the dies. SU is useless for getting answers for the sizes. On these sites, it's all dependant on a demo who actually goes to the General side and doesn't hide out on the demo-only (which isn't really demo only) or a regular customer who already has the die in question.

From the Sizzix site, the scallop circles #2 die has circles that are:
1 7/8" and 3 3/8" across

Again from the Sizzix site, the ovals originals die has ovals that are:
1 1/2" x 2", 1 7/8" x 2 1/2" and 2 1/4" x 3"

And these are supposedly SU exclusives, but you have problems getting the info from SU, but Sizzix has the measurements.

Last edited by geogymnast82; 02-17-2011 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

You can find the sizes of most of the dies on the Sizzix site, even the SU! exclusives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgrammaView Post
You can find the sizes of most of the dies on the Sizzix site, even the SU! exclusives.
This isn't necessarily a question for you, calgramma, but an in general question (it was easier just to quote you). Why aren't the measurements for SU exclusive dies listed in the SU catalog? Like I had said, even when I was a demo, the product guide had no measurements, and calling demonstrator support for the measurements was a joke because no one I ever talked to had any of the measurements either. With the whole IDA fiasco (which appears to be on-going), why wouldn't SU put the measurements on SU's site and catalog. Instead, like here, customers have to go searching for competitor sites to get the information. Even if Sizzix is in partnership with SU for some of the products, Sizzix's website is a big competitor, yet Sizzix has the information customers and demos need but SU doesn't. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
This isn't necessarily a question for you, calgramma, but an in general question (it was easier just to quote you). Why aren't the measurements for SU exclusive dies listed in the SU catalog? Like I had said, even when I was a demo, the product guide had no measurements, and calling demonstrator support for the measurements was a joke because no one I ever talked to had any of the measurements either. With the whole IDA fiasco (which appears to be on-going), why wouldn't SU put the measurements on SU's site and catalog. Instead, like here, customers have to go searching for competitor sites to get the information. Even if Sizzix is in partnership with SU for some of the products, Sizzix's website is a big competitor, yet Sizzix has the information customers and demos need but SU doesn't. Go figure.
I just called demonstrator support and the helpful agent had the sizes right at her fingertips and gave me an immediate answer to my question on the sizes mentioned here. I have never in 12 years had a support agent not bend over backwards to find an answer for me, even if it meant leaving his/her desk and calling me back. I have even had them venture out to find a specific product to get an answer for me. I have had a few new agents who didn't have all the answers and all I had to do was ask to speak to a supervisor.

And to your point about sizzix being a competitor, they are not. They are a partner, we sell dies for them that are not exclusive to SU and as a demo, I am aware that I can find that info on their website and get it for my customers if I don't want to send them over there. But we are not prohibited from sending our customers there, because they are a partner and even list our exclusive dies on their site and refer their customers to us to get them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Every time I had ever called about Sizzix sizes to demonstrator support, they never had the information. Whenever I asked why the measurements weren't listed for two years in the product guide, both via numerous phone calls and via emails, they couldn't (or wouldn't) say. Since I no longer have access to SU the product guide, I don't know if that has finally been updated, but if you were able to get the information from demonstrator support, then count yourself lucky. While I had some very helpful agents on some matters like missing items from orders, wrond items sent, etc., every time I ever contacted them about Sizzix meaurements, they never had the information. Looks like they may have finally gotten their act together but it shouldn't have taken them this long, and Sizzix hasn't always had the SU exclusive dies on their site. So, for awhile, unless you had the exclusive dies yourself or knew of someone who had one, the information wasn't always available from SU. If in the past you were able to call and get the information, then you got lucky enough to get a representative who really knew what was going on since many didn't. Most were usually nice enough (not always) many times just seemed clueless, but nice. Hopefully SU finally is getting their support staff the information they need to do their jobs.

So, word of advice, if you have just about any type of Sizzix product, go directly to Sizzix.com to get the information on sizes (they don't list them for every die they offer) but they do have partnerships with lots of amazing product lines like Basic Grey & Tim Holtz's Alterations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I originally asked my Stampin' Up demonstrator this question and it has been a week now with no response on the sizes - she is usually right on top of getting back to me So i guess i just assume that she could not get the info through Stampin' Up! Thank you all very much for your help - the sizzix site had all the sizes i needed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonniejoView Post
I originally asked my Stampin' Up demonstrator this question and it has been a week now with no response on the sizes - she is usually right on top of getting back to me So i guess i just assume that she could not get the info through Stampin' Up! Thank you all very much for your help - the sizzix site had all the sizes i needed
Or she could have just forgotten...we're human...we do that now and then:-) I try to do my best but I forget stuff for clients now and then by the time I get done with my (more than) full time job, my second job, my family and all that stuff. Sorry she didn't get back to you though....and glad you found the info you needed! I do wish it were included in the catalog as I've needed to find out about sizes often! I always get confused on the Sizzix site between the size of the DIE and the size of the die CUT, duh!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Every time I had ever called about Sizzix sizes to demonstrator support, they never had the information. Whenever I asked why the measurements weren't listed for two years in the product guide, both via numerous phone calls and via emails, they couldn't (or wouldn't) say. Since I no longer have access to SU the product guide, I don't know if that has finally been updated, but if you were able to get the information from demonstrator support, then count yourself lucky. While I had some very helpful agents on some matters like missing items from orders, wrond items sent, etc., every time I ever contacted them about Sizzix meaurements, they never had the information. Looks like they may have finally gotten their act together but it shouldn't have taken them this long, and Sizzix hasn't always had the SU exclusive dies on their site. So, for awhile, unless you had the exclusive dies yourself or knew of someone who had one, the information wasn't always available from SU. If in the past you were able to call and get the information, then you got lucky enough to get a representative who really knew what was going on since many didn't. Most were usually nice enough (not always) many times just seemed clueless, but nice. Hopefully SU finally is getting their support staff the information they need to do their jobs.

So, word of advice, if you have just about any type of Sizzix product, go directly to Sizzix.com to get the information on sizes (they don't list them for every die they offer) but they do have partnerships with lots of amazing product lines like Basic Grey & Tim Holtz's Alterations.
hmmm..... EVERY single time I have called with a question, demo support has done everything they could to search out an answer for me, and I have asked specific questions about product. I even had one trek off two different times to see if she could lay her hands on the actual product to help me resolve a problem for a customer. I am a little in dismay that you have had a different experience. I have called them hundreds of times over 12 years so that is where I am taking reference. There have been a few times that a support agent might not have immediately had an answer, but if I asked them to seek one out or spoke to a supervisor, I could always get an answer. It just seems so odd to me that your experience has been so different than mine.

As you said, even sizzix only offers dimensions on some of their dies . I have looked for dimensions in the past on their site and not been able to find them.

I don't think SU is different than most companies, who don't list dimensions or specifications on a lot of products. I have had to come here on many occasions to ask specifics about craft products that I couldn't glean from a website. But I really don't think SU or any company is deliberately trying to keep that info from us.

Having said all of that, I was able to get the info from demo support and I even went and checked the catalog and was surprised at the number of dies that do have the design measurement in the catalog description. Quite a few actually. The product guide actually does list an over all dimension for the different dies. The specific dimension of every image on stamps, punches and individual die shapes would be a wonderful resource to have, but i would imagine it would require quite a few man hours to create and update with every retirement list and new catalog.

Sorry your experience wasn't the same as mine, I have always gotten great service.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Oh, I am so pleased to see this topic discussed here once again. Why can't SU! include both the size of the die and the size of the finished product (such as for a box) in its catalog? Saying something is shown at 30% of full size is very unhelpful when you're trying to decide which die to buy or which size paper to buy in the same order as the die. I called SU! two years ago to request size information on some dies, and they didn't have it at their fingertips. I am glad to see they may be more prepared to answer such questions, but why can't they just print complete information in the catalog to begin with?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2011, 02:45 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
Oh, I am so pleased to see this topic discussed here once again. Why can't SU! include both the size of the die and the size of the finished product (such as for a box) in its catalog? Saying something is shown at 30% of full size is very unhelpful when you're trying to decide which die to buy or which size paper to buy in the same order as the die. I called SU! two years ago to request size information on some dies, and they didn't have it at their fingertips. I am glad to see they may be more prepared to answer such questions, but why can't they just print complete information in the catalog to begin with?

They do print some general information on sizes and if you check other sites like Joanne's or the Sizzix site itself, you'll see that they are about as consistent. Some dies have that info, some don't. SU is actually adding more and more of that info with each catalog.

I can think of a few reasons why they may not add all of the specific dimensions. The first is that not enough people have asked for it. SU usually does respond to requests from customers and demos when enough people ask.

They do provide the overall size of the die and a size ratio for pictures (25%) which is consistent with, and in most cases more than what they provide on all other types of products in the catalogs.

And last but probably not least is the cost factor. As I mentioned before it takes resources that one may not consider to provide that info, especially if it doesn't come on the packaging provided from the manufacturer and in the case of Sizzix dies, it usually doesn't. So it would require man hours to gather and update that info. But more to the point, providing all of that extra information in the catalog would require more room on the page, which would mean higher printing prices or giving up valuable real estate on the page. More info per product means fewer products shown. This is why they no longer print the recipes, but instead provide those in pdf form.
Reply With Quote Likes