Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A silly story and what's your storage tip?

A silly stamping story on Ebay had my daughter and me chuckling because we�ve both tried to beat our husbands home to be the first to intercept a package before they could see that we�ve bought yet more stuff. (And I thought I was the only one who�d do such a thing!) So I was wondering if any of you use the �for our eyes only� package recovery system and race home to intercept it before the family sees it or if this is truly a genetic thing and my daughter and I should seek help.

And do you have any storing (or stashing) tips, too? My supplies have way exceeded their allotted space (and I have a generous amount of space) but just when I think I can stop buying stuff, something fabulous comes along and well, you know how it is. Don�t you? Y�all are the ones who show me the latest and greatest ;) so I�m thinking I�m not alone in the overbuying department. Anyway, if the storage thing is a common side effect of having such a fun, ever changing hobby how do you deal with it? Short of moving to a bigger house or (gulp) never buying anything else, what�s a woman to do? Could you please share some of your best storage tips? Thanks!

April

Here�s the link if you�d like to read the story:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200155545000&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=010

(My daughter says the cleaning box thing would be a great way to hide the Halloween candy from her family so she�ll actually have some to pass out on Halloween. Me, I don�t buy candy until Halloween day because I�d have to hide it from myself and I�ve tried that but it doesn�t work.)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just keep mine in my (very messy) trunk until DH leaves the house, and then sneak the goodies in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Ahhhh - I thought I was the only "trunk trick" person!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

I just prance in the house with all my goodies. As soon as DH opens his mouth I point to the motorcyle in the carport...the UNUSED boflex in the carport...the truck we bought my son (doesn't even have a permit yet) and they have put a new engine in and are now "tricking it out" with chrome, stereo, etc...

Then I say I spent $175....only $8,000 to go and we are even
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you keep your entire house cluttered it is harder to determine if there is new clutter!

Plus, cleaning takes time away from stamping.

I also use my car for storage of things that are not sensitive to temperature changes. It all eventually makes it into the house, but not necessarily into the craft area as my clothes closet is very messy and makes a great hiding spot (shhhh ... don't tell my hubby!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

SNORT!! I bring mine inside with no problems...it's getting it all mounted and put in place before my hubs comes home that shows me issues...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:03 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lol. I sneak stuff in as often as possible so as to avoid the "What did you buy THIS TIME" glares from my husband. Lol. Easier to get it all in and put away (stuck in various places) first. Though - sometimes I play the "Oh, but wait until you see everything I got for FREE" card and put all that in a pile to show him. He seems to appreciate that, at least. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I am disabled and only get out with my parents, so I order a lot online and then hope they aren't around when the truck comes! I used the "this is for your Christmas cards" line a few times when it was actually ALL for the cards... or even maybe for her cards....
LOL
I am spending my own money, so they don't really care, they just get wide eyed when the guy comes AGAIN...

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I have a tote kind of bag that I bring back and forth to work with me that I can "hide" stuff in until I'm able to take it to my stamping area and put it away. Once it's away, he doesn't have a clue. He doesn't keep track of what I have down there. And, if he does say something, I usually am able to say "Oh this thing? I've had this for a LONG time" (read: a few days or more )

The other thing I've been doing is having my packages shipped to my office.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4BiddlesView Post
I just prance in the house with all my goodies. As soon as DH opens his mouth I point to the motorcyle in the carport...the UNUSED boflex in the carport...the truck we bought my son (doesn't even have a permit yet) and they have put a new engine in and are now "tricking it out" with chrome, stereo, etc...

Then I say I spent $175....only $8,000 to go and we are even
oh my goodness this sounds just like me whenever he says anything about what i spend i just look at his race cars and then he stops talking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinthedayawayView Post
oh my goodness this sounds just like me whenever he says anything about what i spend i just look at his race cars and then he stops talking
This works for jewerly too. That is how I got my rock on my left hand. He was saying rings are so expensive and I responsed with well you are going to spend the same amount that you spent on your motorcylce right!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:40 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

i used to put them in my trunk but now i have a little miata with a little, little, little trunk that is way too small for my boxes. i have been known to take off work to be sure i get the box first so i don't have to listen to "you know, you have to make a profit this year." i'm afraid that is just never going to happen or maybe a small, small, very small profit-----for me to spend, i mean invest back into "business."

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ahhhhh.....the joys of living alone! ;) Luckily whoever I marry will know my obsession before hand.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:54 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've had things delivered to me at work, then take them home when I know I'll be home first and can get them put away....works very well!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am fortunate in that DH is a collector and gets WAY more packages than I do. He can't say anything about what I buy cuz he's got a lot more! As for your situation, does the room you use have a closet? Perhaps you can add a set of shelves or storage totes in there to have more room. If there's a couch or futon, you can use those under-the-bed rubbermaid totes for more storage space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

My PaperTrey order came today, and straight to the trunk it went. I opened the box in a store parking lot and threw the extra packaging away so it would be easier to sneak my stuff into the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my crazy story...

I work from home and have to go to the office twice a month (180 miles round trip). My DH has to work from home on the days that I go to the office because we have a puppy. I was expecting a Cricut machine to arrive that I bought from someone and had to go to the office last Thursday. So on Wednesday, I decided to put a Hold on our mail delivery because I just did NOT want him to see this HUGE box arriving. I figured I'd would just go to the post office on Friday to cancel the hold. (The mail has to be held for a minimum of three days in order to do the hold via the USPS website.) All is fine and dandy. When I got home from the office, I asked my DH if anyone called for me during the day. He said the mail lady called at 7:30 a.m. to say that I had a package that arrived. AAAARRRGH!

I went to the post office the next morning to get my package(s) and the mail lady said she thought she'd try to get me at home before I left on my "trip" in case I was waiting for the package. I then confessed that I put the mail on hold because my DH never notices packages on the step (which is true) in case he wasn't at home when she stopped with the box.

Sigh.... Oh well, the good news is that the other package was kind of small so I told DH that is what had arrived.

I know... I should just confess that I bought the darn thing. I haven't even used it yet as I'm still working on organizing my stamp room (again).

So... that's my silly story. Oh, and I can't even trust the UPS guy to deliver during the day time! A couple of times he has stopped at around 6:30 pm and even LATER! Hellooooo!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I also need to find out when the recycling center is open because my stash of broken down boxes is taking over a corner in my stamping room. (You can't see that corner when glancing in the room as you walk by.)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
Ahhhhh.....the joys of living alone! ;) Luckily whoever I marry will know my obsession before hand.
You know, I think this is what I miss the most about being single. That and if I want to eat popcorn for supper, I'm good.

Knowing about an obsession and understanding are totally different. DH knows about it, but he doesn't get it. (Which is why for our 2nd anniversary, I got a gift card to a clothing store and not to Michaels or Hobby Lobby.) Hello... I work from home, why would I need to spend money on clothes like that? (The thought counts though because he had to go to the mall to get the gift card.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have my packages shipped to me at work; e-bay, SU, misc. and Longaberger. I just changed jobs 3 weeks ago and haven't checked if we can do that here or not. I ordered Longaberger last week and it came last night. I got the "What did you order now?" speech. I also ordered Stampin' Up last week. Guess when it's coming? Tonight. I hope the UPS man comes before I get home and that I beat DH home!! It was so much easier to just sneak stuff in in grocery sacks!! I wonder if my mom would mind getting my boxes??
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

You guys have me roaring hilarious stuff. I am lucky dh doesn't really say to much when i buy things though i try and have everything of course put away when he gets home but if he does see something he once in awhile will ask. I just oh supplies nothing major LOL... He does notice though that my scraproom door doesn't open the whole way and then i just mutter i have to clean LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yall have me cracking up over here!!! Luckily, UPS usually comes around 2:30 so I can get everything upstairs before he even knows it's here. On the times UPS is late (7:00 ish) I just make some comment like it's about time that workshop order got here...I need to get it sorted!! If I'm going to Michaels or Hobby Lobby, I come in from the garage and go straight upstairs...usually he's home watching the kids so knows I've gone, just not how much I've gotten. If he asks how much I've spent, I just say I don't know...I was talking to Ali (my daughter that usually goes with me). When he sees something on the credit card bill, I tell him but you said I good get it...don't you even remember that conversation?? Usually works!
My Itty Bitty Gallery
2008 Crop Addict & Serendipity Scrapbooks Design Teams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #23  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

What a great thread.

I rented a mailbox at the UPS store and have anything I order on-line sent there. Anything I buy locally, I leave in my trunk and sneak it into the basement after everyone else has gone upstairs at night.

Storage is an issue but about a year ago I purchased some cabinets from a local department store and I'm really good about using every last inch of space. Lately I've been much better about trying to use up older supplies (I tend to hoard paper) before buying more so things have calmed down a little bit.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
If you keep your entire house cluttered it is harder to determine if there is new clutter!

I also use my car for storage of things that are not sensitive to temperature changes. It all eventually makes it into the house, but not necessarily into the craft area as my clothes closet is very messy and makes a great hiding spot (shhhh ... don't tell my hubby!)
Tina, I knew this was your post before I even looked at your name! :lol: I won't tell. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

Oh my gosh! And here I've been feeling so guilty about hiding things from my husband I've had to go to therapy!!! I didn't know it was normal for a stamper to do this!

I'm just kidding - I have been blessed with a husband who has never said a word about me buying too much. Even when I do feel guilty about buying too much - he's never said anything! I don't think I'd feel so guilty if I actually used the stuff instead of just collecting it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #26  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Tina, I knew this was your post before I even looked at your name! :lol: I won't tell. ;)
You know me so well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

This is how things shake down at mi casa:
box arrives and hubby says "what'd you get"
me: "nothing, just some lousy tape refills"
dh: "why didn't you order anything"
me: "because I would feel guilty ordering more stuff and I don't want you to be mad at me for ordering more stuff" <all said in truly sad voice>
dh: "when have I ever cared what you ordered?"
me: "true - well do you want to see what I ordered?" <smile brightly here>

Then I show him what's in the box. It's a silly game and he really doesn't care what I order, but I like it better when he tells me I should order something.

Tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Besides hiding store bought things in trunk til it's safe to bring in, I've had to drag DH to demo's house to *pick up everyone's order because she needs help cutting out everyone's stamps.* Works like a charm.

When she brings my order to me she brings *every one's* order and they pick up from me so he's none the wiser...yet! We all get a laugh out of it and hope he doesn't catch on most of it's mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #29  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post

LOL. I was reading and thinking the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to giggle at all the stories...
I never had to fall into the hiding thing routine...

In fact DH regularly goes through the SU catalogue... to see if there is anything HE thinks I need...
And if it's a BIG ticket item.. w'll discuss it...so far all things have been a go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
I also need to find out when the recycling center is open because my stash of broken down boxes is taking over a corner in my stamping room. (You can't see that corner when glancing in the room as you walk by.)

Kimberly
Kinberly- DH is working late tonight. I just finished my popcorn dinner:razz:

The boxes - this is truly the issue. I can make everything in my craft room look like it has been there forever, but what to do with the boxes?

DH actually walked into my craft room the other night and sarcastically said he thought I needed more tools. My eyes must have started glowing because he quickly let me know he was just kidding and hurried out of the room. I, of course, am taking him seriously and will be placing my order soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

You guys are so funny!

Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I knew there was a reason that I didn't keep my house that tidy. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post

I knew there was a reason not to keep my house too tidy....Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

when i know i am going shopping, i unlock the basement deadbolt before heading out and sneak my purchases into the basement. hide the goodies in the dryer.go back out and come in thru the front door. then bring them up when he has gone out. he never touches the laundry unless i make him bring it up.

also if he is guaranteed to be in the computer room, and purchases are small i skip the basement method and as soon as i walk in the house,bags go into the pots&pans cupboard. kitchen is right at the door.

orders i have shipped to my work, and my SU demo brought my order to work too. then i bring them home when i am sure i will beat him home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #36  
Linking Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedgeView Post
I knew there was a reason not to keep my house too tidy....Thanks!!
You're welcome ... glad to have been of help!

Of course it is nice to have enough space cleared to actually make a card. I have space for three people to happily stamp but please don't ask about the other tables in my craft area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #37  
GIL
Matboard Maniac

It is easy to hide your stash of new purchases in the trunk--but much trickier to try to hide your credit card statement. Any suggestions for doing that !!??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by GILView Post
It is easy to hide your stash of new purchases in the trunk--but much trickier to try to hide your credit card statement. Any suggestions for doing that !!??
I do all the finances so he is none the wiser!

This thread is a hoot! My DH does not care what I get. Like many other posters, DH has his own vices and as soon as my rubbah equals the toys he has, then we might talk! ha ha

Funny part for me are the mail clerks here on base...we have to receive our boxes through them. They recently changed our mail system and just last week the mail clerk said "Oh, great to see you! I know you receive a lot of packages, so I want to tell you about our new automated package notification system!" Oh gosh...the postal people are on to me!! DH has hired them to track me!!! It is a conspiracy!!! tee hee No, but it really was cute! I thought you know, it is bad when the guy working the counter notices I get a lot of packages! There are thousands of people who get mail here...and he knows me...sad, sad, sad!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Default A silly story and what's your storage tip?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookiedecoratorView Post
Kinberly- DH is working late tonight. I just finished my popcorn dinner:razz:

The boxes - this is truly the issue. I can make everything in my craft room look like it has been there forever, but what to do with the boxes?

DH actually walked into my craft room the other night and sarcastically said he thought I needed more tools. My eyes must have started glowing because he quickly let me know he was just kidding and hurried out of the room. I, of course, am taking him seriously and will be placing my order soon!

OK - this may take a little more work, but well worth it! I am home most of the time when there is a delivery. So, the issue IS the left over boxes. I take the largest box (he knows one is got to come to the house during the week!) and then with a box cutter, I start cutting so the rest of the boxes (or others to come later) all fit into the one box and then throw into the recycling bin. Too many times I thought I was safe from "being discovered" only to have the boxes as the biggest tattle tale around!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

No sneaking right now. With DH being deployed it makes my BAD HABITS even easier!!! HaHa
Working on a solution though since he will be home soon and he checks the mail........Hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes