Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silicon Stamps

Hi - has anyone purchased the silicone stamps on Ebay? Can you tell me about them?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

This can be a tricky subject, as there are a number of clear stamps made from different polymers, and you cannot always rely on the name they have been called! In the most general terms, Photopolymer are at the best end of the list. They are generally more solid, and closer in feel to rubber than any of the others. Conversely, silicone tend to be seen as being at the lower end of the scale, being much softer and more pliable.
However, this is really not a hard and fast rule- their are variations in quality through the whole range of materials, as well as between the materials themselves.
This does not mean they are no good for stamping, however, just that a slightly different approach needs to be taken. Because they are often softer, and 'squishier', a very light hand needs to be used to get a good imprint. Press too hard, and the imprint will be blurred.
All I can say is you can really only try one and see. If they are cheap enough- and they usually are- it could be worth the gamble. Also, bear in mind that the ink you use with them can help or hinder the results too. Generally, chalk inks will work better, and conditioning with Versamark can't hurt either.
Most dye inks will bead up on those stamps, so giving a poor impression. Hth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered some Silicone stamps from Ebay recently and received my order a few days ago. I love the stamps! They were a lot bigger than I thought they'd be so that was good. Very detailed and as long as you don't press too hard when stamping they gave a beautiful impression.

I used my Misti and so it wasn't an issue that the ink beaded up a bit. I just reinked the stamp a few times and stamped again.

The only problem I had was with one of the orders, the stamps were really stuck to the acetate sheet!! It took quite awhile to get them off but I did it very gently so as to not tear the stamps. Maybe there's an easier way to get them off? The other order did not have that problem, I think they were two different companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
I ordered some Silicone stamps from Ebay recently and received my order a few days ago. I love the stamps! They were a lot bigger than I thought they'd be so that was good. Very detailed and as long as you don't press too hard when stamping they gave a beautiful impression.

I used my Misti and so it wasn't an issue that the ink beaded up a bit. I just reinked the stamp a few times and stamped again.

The only problem I had was with one of the orders, the stamps were really stuck to the acetate sheet!! It took quite awhile to get them off but I did it very gently so as to not tear the stamps. Maybe there's an easier way to get them off? The other order did not have that problem, I think they were two different companies.
One of the things I've had to do with clear stamps that have stuck to the backing sheet (because they were stored too long without use :( ) is to cut around the stamp and leave the acetate attached. I then used an emery board to ruff up the plastic sheet and then applied some repositionable tape. Saves taking the chance ripping your stamp. I've had it happen and was sad and mad all at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of stamps sticking to the backing....

they will also do that even if you've used them but have been untouched for a long time. It's good to go and pull up the stamps once in awhile to help keep them from fusing to the backing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you both for the tips. I never thought to cut them apart but will keep that in mind for next time.

I do have a bunch of clear stamps that I haven't used so I'll be checking them to make sure they're not fused to the backing sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 650 Posts

I just bought some stamps in a set from Mike's at 60% off. So I thought it was worth it to gamble. It is a 3 step hydrangea stamp and I see that they are made from silicone, so thanks for the tips on how to use them.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes