Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signing backs of cards (swaps and in general)

I always sign the backs of my cards. First I use a stamp that says "Handmade by" than I sign my name. If it is for a swap hosted by a message board I also add my MB name. I have received so many wonderful cards in swaps that are not signed. I recently saw a post for a swap tht says "Do not sign the back of the card". Honestly I like to have the cards signed - both those I make and receive. It is a nice "artist" touch and claim to your work. What are your thoughts? Why would a swap only want your card signed on a removable sticky?

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I could only come up with the fact that maybe they use clear envies? I use clear ones and I can't figure out how to sign my work and address it on the same side. It kind-of looks funny that way.

But I don't think I would join a swap if the rules stated that I couldn't sign my work. I really don't think it's anyone else's right to tell someone they can't sign their own piece of art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also be cautious about the "do not sign" for a swap. That just screams that the person is planning on selling the cards as their own works.

I have quite a few stamps for the backs of my cards, everything from the SU copyright stamp with my name to my favorite that says Hallmark Eat Your Heart Out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

The "Hallmark Eat Your Heart Out" stamps sounds cute.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't do swaps so I have no personal experience, but I would be leary of someone asking that you not sign the back, too. Sounds like someone passing them off as their own. Just my opinion, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I always sign/stamp the back of my creations. However, for my Easter cards I handed out today, I didn't have time to do it and the ONE person who I didn't think cared for hand-made stuff called me on it and asked why I didn't sign it. I told her I didn't have time to, and she MADE me sign the back of the card I gave her!!! ;)

If someone is requesting you NOT to sign the creation you have made, I would also be suspicious. Why WOULDN'T you put your mark on something like that????? ;)

The Blog

The Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:35 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't like putting my work out without my signature, it is your own personal art. I saw this with a do not sign, I feel it is wrong to pass off someone else's work as your own....

It's in the Cards! My Blog

Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:42 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyciajo421View Post
I could only come up with the fact that maybe they use clear envies? I use clear ones and I can't figure out how to sign my work and address it on the same side. It kind-of looks funny that way.

But I don't think I would join a swap if the rules stated that I couldn't sign my work. I really don't think it's anyone else's right to tell someone they can't sign their own piece of art.
In this case, I cut a piece of just plain printer paper or cheap cardstock the same size as the card and write the address on it then cover up the back of the card in the clear envie, which in turn covers up the signature.

As far as signing my cards. I always sign them and wouldn't do a swap without doing so.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I always stamp or sign my cards for all swaps or occasions. I would not participate in a swap that asks me not to sign the backs.

Take pride in your work, claim the time and effort you put into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I were in a swap where the hostess told us not to sign the cards, you can bet that the back of mine would look like those Priority Mail labels at the post office! :twisted: Playing devil's advocate, though, perhaps the cards would be donated to one of those collections for the troops and you wouldn't want some random person's name on the back of the card when the service member goes to send it. That said, it's probably more likely that the hostess intends to pass the swaps off as her own work.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

i just use my little "designed by" but sometimes I forget. I have never had anyone ask me to not sign a card though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not been stamping for very long and to be honest with you I have never signed the back of my cards. I guess I have never thought of doing that...however I will start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree with everyone -- I always sign the back of my cards or use the stamp I purchased from www.paperangel.com (I have no affiliation with them, by the way! Just happened to get my stamp there and have been very happy with it. ) that says *my name* Creations. I wish everyone who sent me cards would sign theirs, too. And I haven't had the time to do swaps in a while, but when I did, I still preferred when people signed theirs so I could look up their gallery, tell them how much I liked it, etc. I know some folks out there may not think what we do it art, but I definitely do, and I say "claim your art, people!" And if someone asked me not to? I'd probably find a different swap...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I just did a swap that hostess reqested do not sign the back of the card. It just killed me not to sign it. I WILL NOT do another swap without signing the back of my cards EVER again! If I can't sign my card, I won't join the swap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Speaking of stamping the backs of your cards ... one of the funniest stamps I ever saw on the back of a card said something like this: "This card took hours of planning and extreme talent ... act impressed". Anyone know of a site that sells fun stamps like this ????

Simmy :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #16  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampersimView Post
Speaking of stamping the backs of your cards ... one of the funniest stamps I ever saw on the back of a card said something like this: "This card took hours of planning and extreme talent ... act impressed". Anyone know of a site that sells fun stamps like this ????

LOL! I like that! I know that River City Rubber Works has a stamp that says, "This better not go in the trash."

I always sign my work. Not with my full name, but with a stamp "Hand Stamped Original Art by Karen," my initials, and the year. It doesn't take much room at the bottom of the card and doesn't interfere with the address if I use a vellum envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always sign the backs of my cards when participating in a swap and when I am hosting a swap I always ask that they please please please sign the backs of their cards too ;)
~ Teresa ~ Member #4536
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampersimView Post

I found one at Scrapbooking Island in Derry, NH that said "I made this myself...you better not throw it out."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

I'm in a monthly full card swap with 11 other stampers and we do not sign the back of our cards for this. I don't mind at all. These are cards that everyone uses in their personal lives and not to sell. Honestly, I will not give a card to someone that is signed by another person. I have plenty of those in my collection from swaps but this is different. We all had to agree on this in the beginning when we started over a year ago. If someone does compliment me on the cute card I sent and it was not one of mine I tell them. I've gotten cards from close friends who I know who stamp and I've turned their cards over only to find that they didn't even make it. I would rather not know this.

JMHO

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #20  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post
I'm in a monthly full card swap with 11 other stampers and we do not sign the back of our cards for this. I don't mind at all. These are cards that everyone uses in their personal lives and not to sell. Honestly, I will not give a card to someone that is signed by another person. I have plenty of those in my collection from swaps but this is different. We all had to agree on this in the beginning when we started over a year ago. If someone does compliment me on the cute card I sent and it was not one of mine I tell them. I've gotten cards from close friends who I know who stamp and I've turned their cards over only to find that they didn't even make it. I would rather not know this.

JMHO
i just started reading this thread and RobynStamps expressed my opinion as well. i won't send out a card that has someone else's signature on it, either.

so, to ensure my cards are 'usuable', when i participate in swaps, i always use a 'generic' mark [like: handmade for you, one of kind art]. then typically will include my personal info on a post-it so if the swap recipient wants to know, or ask a question, they'll know who made the card.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I also sign the backs of my cards. I even had one special made with my real name on it. For about $11 total I was able to design up to three lines. So I had one made with my name. Can't remember the name of the company - but I just did a google search for personalized rubber stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #22  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 611 Likes on 431 Posts

I too bought a stamp from paperangel. I just got it. I have been in swaps that we have not signed the back. I too think you should be able to sign them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I sign the back of my creations as well, especially for a swap. I got a swap in the mail over the weekend, and only 2 of the 26 swap items were signed (one was my own). I like it when the hostess prompts you to sign your work for a swap - be proud of what you've created!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

The only cards I do not sign are RAK's. Sometimes someone just needs to know someone cares.

The rest, kp, month/year.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

I think not everyone wants to have the cards hanging around for just "samples" for a workshop...now that I'ma demo I don't mind as much, but before that If I was to participate in a swap, I would like to USE the cards and I agree, its weird to send a card out that has someone elses name on the back..... I never would think its because they want to sell your cards, I think its because they want to use them....JMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I generally put 'Handmade just for you by Jukie xx' for most people or Handmade just for you by Eilis xx' (my real name) for family and non cyber friends, but if its for someone else to send out then I put 'Handmade just for you' but I always put my initials somewhere on the artwork at the front...it might be itty bitty tiny but its there! ....trick I learnt from doing Art courses.;)

P.s I have been 'told off' by people if I don't sign them...like another poster I have been handed it back to sign.

P.P.S for extra special cards I sign 'Handmade just for XXXXXX (name of recipient) by Jukie' .....now that is always well received!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by robynstampsView Post

JMHO
Two friends and I sell our cards and other crafts at flea markets and craft fairs, and we have a lady who's bought from us on a couple of occasions. She has a sister who's been trying to get her into stamping, but she's not really interested. She told us that she buys our cards and then sends them to her sister, passing them off as her own! Hey, we don't mind as long as she keeps coming back to us, LOL! I have been tempted to start using my personalized angel policy stamp rather than the generic ones, though, since we package our cards in clear envelopes and the back is blocked by the paper envelope! Yeah, I'm twisted. ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I love when people sign their cards and I too put my name on the back of mine, however I hate getting cards from swaps that have put a huge non removeable label on the back of the card. I give mine out, (and donate to other other groups of people to hand out.
I have no problem giving credit where credit is due, however I think the big label stuck on the back looks tacky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I belong to a Stamp Club at a LSS. We do a monthly swap. Some people sign their cards some do not. I always put the person's name on their card when unsigned. It is my way of getting to know the stampers (I'm a fairly new member) and their style. It also helps if I decide to case a card. I can ask about technique and stamps used. I love having the persons name on the cards. I always sign my cards. This has made me think that I need to ask preference at stamp club. I never send someone else's card because I love looking at them and they remind me to try other techniques etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Default About the lady who buys the card to send to her sister...

I heard a similar story. A gal I know sells her cards. She has a customer who
she charges extra for unsigned cards. The customer signs the back and passes them off as her own creations. The gal that makes the cards says she doesn't care because she makes more money and this woman is a VERY good customer.
To each her own!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatView Post
i just started reading this thread and RobynStamps expressed my opinion as well. i won't send out a card that has someone else's signature on it, either.

so, to ensure my cards are 'usuable', when i participate in swaps, i always use a 'generic' mark [like: handmade for you, one of kind art]. then typically will include my personal info on a post-it so if the swap recipient wants to know, or ask a question, they'll know who made the card.

I ditto this...I mainly participate in full card swaps so that when I am done using them to show customers samples I can use them for my own personal use...

I don't mind a generic handstamp on the back - as that is what I do...but I have received full cards with literally the half of the back of the card taken up with some sort of signature...and well to me it looks tacky to have something huge all over the back of the card (not talking about small personalized handstamped stamps)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #32  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by tammy millerView Post
I love when people sign their cards and I too put my name on the back of mine, however I hate getting cards from swaps that have put a huge non removeable label on the back of the card. I give mine out, (and donate to other other groups of people to hand out.
I have no problem giving credit where credit is due, however I think the big label stuck on the back looks tacky.
i SO agree. i think, and someone else has mentioned it, if you're a demo and using them for samples it probably doesn't really matter. its for us non-demos, that want to use the cards, for which this is a problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Funny, I was going through my stash of cards tonight looking for a birthday card. I found 3. Two of them were from swaps I'd rec'd and the other was one of my "not so perfect" ones. I chose the one I made over the fabulous ones I rec'd from the swaps b/c they had the names of the other gals on the back. It's for another stamper and I'd hate for her to think I was too lazy to make a card for her; so I'll settle for a less-than-perfect one instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for all the comments. It has been interesting to read all of them. I guess I can see both sides to some extent. I will still continue to sign my cards on the back even for swaps.

To be honest I have sent out handmade cards made by another stamper even if their name is signed on the back as the creating artist. I had a situation when I had no time to make a card or even run out and buy one. The card I got from a swap was gorgeous so I sent it out. My girlfriend who received the card asked if I made it. I honestly told her "no" - flipped the card over and told her it was made by ____ and that I got the card in a swap. She was thrilled none the less to get a handmade card regardless who made it. I've just never thought it wrong to send out a card made by someone else.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #35  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Well I guess I'm going to be the oddball here. I never sign the cards I make. I'm not really concerned if someone is going to try to sell them (but then I don't do that many swaps). Personally, if I were going to send a card to someone that someone else made, I probably wouldn't want them to know it. If it's signed, that would be a dead giveaway. But that's just my feeling. Usually I keep cards from swaps for future inspiration. However, I understand everyone else's reasons for signing and support them.

If you really want to participate in that swap, why not pm the hostess first and ask why she doesn't want them signed? If her answer satisfies you then you can feel good about participating and if not, well, there are lots and lots of other swaps.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
She was thrilled none the less to get a handmade card regardless who made it. I've just never thought it wrong to send out a card made by someone else.
Same here. I don't think that's any more strange than handing out cards with the name of a card company on back.

If I receive swap cards that are not signed but have a paper inside with the creator's name, I will write who made it on the back of the card. I want to give credit where it's due. If someone were to ask, I'd happily explain that I got the card in a swap and I chose it for them because I liked xxxxx about it.

That said, I guess you can tell that I always sign the backs of my cards. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

I guess I'm puzzled by not wanting to send out a card with someone else's signature on it because that's what everyone who purchases a card is doing. A lot of the commercial cards have the illustrator or author's name if not both on them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowyAKView Post
I guess I'm puzzled by not wanting to send out a card with someone else's signature on it because that's what everyone who purchases a card is doing. A lot of the commercial cards have the illustrator or author's name if not both on them.
I totally agree and had something similar written in my post above but deleted it. I guess I just love the fact that it is a beautiful handmade work of art regardless who made it. I know it would be a huge compliment to me if someone liked my work enough to send out to a friend.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

This is so interesting to read. I host and participate in a lot of swaps. The only thing I ask be on a sticky is the recipe. I do ask that the insides be blank just so we can stamp our own or use the space to write a note. I can't believe that anyone would ever sell someone else's creations. That's crazy! I usually sign the back very small or attach my signature with a sticky note. It's funny though because I find myself signing the ones I am really proud of more often. As a hostess, I don't have a preference, and I send cards with signatures all the time. It's nice for my customers to see lots of people stamp. This is a very interesting topic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't care if cards are signed or not. I keep the them to inspire me and when I get to overflowing with cards that I didn't make I give them to the senior center.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes