Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2005, 06:25 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping retired set to Canada?

Hello!

I'm selling a few retired sets on the B/S/T board, and I have someone from Canada who is interested in buying a set. I looked up the shipping cost on the USPS website, but wondered if there would there be additional shipping charges at customs? I've heard several different things and don't know what to do!

Also, in payment terms do you have to have an international money order? Yikes...this is confusing! :shock: Can anyone help?

Thanks so much!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:32 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Hi:

I sold a retired set to someone in Canada, and I was surprised to find that the shipping was less then the cost of mailing a set to the East coast! check with your local post office, but it's my understanding that there are no customs charges when the purchase is under a certian dollar amount.

As far as money is concerned, it's usually not a problem to get a check made out in 'US' funds - simply make sure that you clarify that with your buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, as long as you check off "gift" on the customs form at the Post Office, there'll be no additional charges

HTH!
Caroline
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #4  
Hot Mess

I have found shipping to CA is about $4-$6 per set. ANd they need to send you an international money order. It works out pretty easy acutally!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I usually sent a US money order when I am having anything shipped from the States. I also do not think that you have to have customs payment but it depends on the worth of the merchandise. I would contact your closest border and ask them about customs, they'd know for sure. Also your local post office should have a good idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 07:32 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I am in Canada and have done a lot of trades where sets were sent by mail. Postage costs have run from $3-$5.00. No additional charges.

As mentioned in previous post, mark 'gift' where indicated on customs slip provided by PO.

If duty was charged, Receiver would pay when package is delivered.

HTH,
D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

As mentioned in previous post, mark 'gift' where indicated on customs slip provided by PO.
Yes, yes yes!!!!!!! Please do this!!!!!! Also when doing swaps, say it's a gift and make the $ amount under $10. That way it's a lot less likely extras charges will be applied.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Default shipping to canada

you will have no other charges other than what you have to pay to mail it to canada - if there are extra charges at the border it will be on the canadian side and will have to be paid by the purchaser when it is delivered to them.

...yes it is very often cheaper to ship/mail into canada than within your own country - I can ship cheaper to California than I can ship to British Columbia - in my own country!

anything that is valued at under $20 will usually slip under the radar of Canada Customs and will not be opened and assessed handling charges and tax - I have never been charged duty on anything that I have ordered from the US - it would have to be over a higher value to have duty charged.

...yes you can put "gift" on the slip, that is a little white lie that works - but I wouldn't do that if the order is large and bulky and you include an invoice - if they open it and see an invoice then you will be in trouble with your own country!

....when i ship a large order to someone in the USA - i send the invoice separately, or preferably just fax or email it to them, and put in the package a personal note to the effect...Hi _____! have fun with these and next time we get together I want to see what you have done with them....or some such drivvle.

having said all that - it is absolutely not a big deal to send to canada - just take it to the post office and fill out the little form for them and pay the postage costs - easy!

Go for it!
Joann
Independent SU Demonstrator
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I did a trade with someone from Canada once and the cost was $7 and it required me to go to the Post Office to do the Customs Form. I think the problem for me is that I live in Hawaii. I really have to mail things out via USPS priority mail unless someone wants to wait a month or so for the package to arrive via a boat. I really prefer to print out the priority mail postage online and just have the mailman pick it up. So much easier for me.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #10  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I traded with another person in Canade I filled out a customs form but ut was realtively cheap-comparable to mailimg in the US.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re: shipping to canada

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCDA
...yes you can put "gift" on the slip, that is a little white lie that works - but I wouldn't do that if the order is large and bulky and you include an invoice - if they open it and see an invoice then you will be in trouble with your own country!
Yeah, I've heard that there have been some serious crackdowns because of abuses of the "gift" designation. A similar thing happened here in the US with the "free" Priority Mail packing materials. People would get the boxes from the post office, wrap them in kraft paper, and use them to send packages via 1st class or media mail. Postal employees are on the lookout now for wrapped boxes that have that distinctive size and shape. No using PM tape to seal regular boxes, either.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:07 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

Thanks to everyone for your replies, they've been most helpful!

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes