Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sewing question

I'm OK with sewing layers of cardstock together, but yesterday I wanted to sew on a layer of denim. I cut my denim, tacked it down with tape and started to sew. The presser foot kept pushing the fabric ahead of it so that my cardstock margins were uneven. I was trying to leave 1/8 inch of cardstock showing all the way around. What do you do to prevent this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I've not tried sewing fabric down to cardstock, but I'm thinking that the denim has more "grab" to the presser foot than the feed dogs put on the cardstock and that's why it's not staying even when you sew.

Because I'm kind of a bum, I'd sew the denim to a big ol' piece of cardstock and then trim the cardstock later to the border I wanted.

Otherwise, I think you'll need to use a stronger adhesive to hold the denim to the cardstock first - something that will permanently adhere the denim to the cardstock so it can't move when you start sewing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You might try and put the feed dogs "down" and sew really slow and see if that relieves the unequal pressure. Any other sewers have any suggestions??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default slippy cardstock

I would sew mine with the denim face down to the machine and the cardstok up towards me, so you need it on early, before you add glitter and bulky embellishments. old denim pockets off jeans are tricky because of the layers but look great!

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a Teflon foot that help a lot! I put Teflon tape on my big presser feet but that stuff is $100 a roll. Luckily, I had a friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would sew without the foot...there is practically no way to keep the denim from sliding on the CS without using adhesive on the whole thing which will gum up your needle.

Actually I would sew a bigger piece on with a straight stitch, and then trim it perfectly when you are done...LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

When sewing on fabric, the top fabric always creeps when sewing with a regular presser foot. Some fabrics have enough give to them that they stretch more than others, and denim is notorious for that. You will get the same results when sewing fabric on paper. I find that no amount of tape will keep that from happening.

In order to make sure that fabric never creeps forward, you need to sew with what is called an "even feed presser foot". It has feed dogs in it and works so that both sets of feed dogs pull the fabric evenly. You will find those at a sewing shop or maybe at a quilting shop. They are pricey at about 20 dollars. But you will never have a problem with the fabric pushing forward with the presser foot.

I might add that if you have a craft sewing machine, this won't be an option...they are only made for "real" machines.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
When sewing on fabric, the top fabric always creeps when sewing with a regular presser foot. Some fabrics have enough give to them that they stretch more than others, and denim is notorious for that. You will get the same results when sewing fabric on paper. I find that no amount of tape will keep that from happening.

In order to make sure that fabric never creeps forward, you need to sew with what is called an "even feed presser foot". It has feed dogs in it and works so that both sets of feed dogs pull the fabric evenly. You will find those at a sewing shop or maybe at a quilting shop. They are pricey at about 20 dollars. But you will never have a problem with the fabric pushing forward with the presser foot.

I might add that if you have a craft sewing machine, this won't be an option...they are only made for "real" machines.

I can't get the bulk of a denim jeans hem under my even feed. I guess it depends on the machine. I have a Bernina.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I go to a blog by a lady who sews paper art, somewhere there was a picture of a special sewing machine for crafts, looks the buziness. www.steffanitadeo.com try asking her?

My Gallery......I would love it if you checked it out! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

You could fuse the denim to the cardstock with Wonder Under. It's meant for fusing two pieces of fabric together for applique but it works great for fabric to paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #11  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post

These are also called 'walking foots' some machines come with them and others you have to buy it as an extra. If you have a regular machine, it may have come with a 'darning foot' which I use when quilting with my feed dogs down - that may work with paper and denim. I think you'll need to do some practicing with scraps or just use bigger pieces and trim down after sewing so it doesn't matter how much your layers creep out of place.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes