Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default selling stamps

Does anyone know how people sell current stamps on *bay when you can get them for the same price or even cheaper from the SU book.

Jill
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

People are able to sell stamp sets for a higher price because some of the people buying either have had a bad experience with a demo or don't know how to find a demo or the customers buying figure it averages out to the same price when you don't have to figure in the sales tax.

That is what I have been told when I had contacted people on *bay telling them they were bidding on an item that was already at a higher price than the current catalog price.

Dana Russell
Stampin Up Independent Demonstrator
Discovery Toys Consultant
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #3  
Inking Addict

Dana,

Be careful warning buyers or bidders. It's against ebay policy to contact other people unless you are asking a question about an auction to the seller or are in a transaction with each other. Talking to winning or losing bidders can get you kicked out of ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 10:21 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I'm not a demo and think it is very unfair that people sell SU products that have not retired. Is this against SU Policy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 10:46 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes current items are against SU policy if you are Demonstrator!
A customer could do whatever they feel like with their new products!

IT's a shame. It hurts Demo's I think.
-Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

This was my first experience on *bay. I thought I was getting an awesome deal on all 48 packages of cardstock in both sizes. I was in heaven. I didn't know the "rules" and I bid and won. Well when things never came, one thing led to another and I figured out it was a demonstrator because she told me to pick so much money in free stuff plus I would get like 11 selebration sets. I couldn't wait. Well after a month I was fed up. Other bidders contacted me to see if I had gotten my product and in fact one of those bidders is now my demonstrator and soon to be upline. The seller was turned into Stampin' Up and *bay and now has a legal suit because she stole credit card numbers. What an experience.

Although I refuse to purchase ebay items with a credit card now (and I haven't bought anything since that experience), I couldn't help but get upset when I saw an individual has a whole store on *bay that includes a ton of current product. Hard to believe it wouldn't be a demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you suspect an eBay seller of being a demonstrator, you should report them to SU! since it would be a MAJOR violation of demonstrator policy. If they're selling current cattys, it's also a violation of eBay policy so you could get them from both sides!

I've stopped buying current merchandise from eBay -- only hard-to-find retired stuff for me now, and that's if I can't get it from one of my fellow SCSers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

I am an avid e-bayer and find that most of the current SU sets that are offered are WAY more than the catalogue price. Therefore not worth the hassle of bidding on them. The retired sets are sometimes a good buy depending on what you want, but the best deals on e-bay are usually used stamps. I can count on one hand how much stamping stuff I have bought, but other stuff (designer clothes, shoes, videos and dvds) are great fun and great deals!!!
One thing to keep in mind, NEVER give your credit card number to anyone EXCEPT Paypal. They don't give the seller your c-card number and if you get into a dispute, Paypal backs you every time and will refund your money if there is a problem. EBay's fun as long as your careful.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How would you ladies (and gents - don't want to be sexist) feel if a person sells current SU products on Ebay, but the items were altered? Specifically, if the stamps were sold individually rather than sets? I don't want to step on anyone's toes and I'm not a demonstrator at all. It's just that sometimes, I will buy a stamp set and not like all of the stamps in there. Instead of keeping something I'll never, ever use, I thought of maybe selling just the ones I don't like. Obviously, I wouldn't expect to make a business out of it. Opinions, anyone?

TIA,
Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I had heard from a demo friend last night that it is against SU copyright policy to alter their sets in any way. Meaning you can't separate sets and sell them separately, or mix and match from other sets. Whether you are a demo or not. I can't confirm this, I haven't seen it in writing, but it's what I was told.

Jodi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen anything in the catalog or sales receipt that says I can't sell stamps separately. Of course I would not think of breaking up my little stamp families - how cruel!!

In any event, there are basically two ways in which SU or any other company can control what you do with stamps that you buy: contract and law.

SU has a contract with demos. That's why demos can't sell on ebay, can't do cash & carry sales, etc. That stuff doesn't apply to us non-demos because we haven't made that contract with SU. But the terms & conditions of SU's sale to us regular customers (like on your order form) may form a contract. It's a good idea to read all that stuff!

Some things are controlled by law, like copyright issues. Any copyright owner is entitled under federal copyright law to control the commerical use of its images, whether or not we specifically accept their copyright policy. SU's angel policy actually is a limited waiver of some of those rights. I have no idea why it's called an angel policy. I think it's kinda dopey myself....

Anyhow blah blah blah if SU doesn't have a contract with me that says I can't break up my happy little stamp families & dispose of them separately, then it would have to come from copyright law. And while I don't know for sure, I doubt it.

That's sure a long post to say "I don't know", isn't it???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I too purchase from ebay but only retired and used stamps. I am not a demo, but am a beginner ( see my first picture post and offer suggestions please)and that was a way to get a few stamps fairly quickly. I could kick myself now because I didnt know about you all and spent a lot of money that I didnt have too. i do go to ebay for the very old hard to find. That being said, there are several people who sell individual stamps on ebay. dont know if there demos or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #13  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

I have seen many time where they break up the stamp sets. I don't think it is right to break up a set! It will be worth more as a "set" not individually, but of course in doing that they seem to make out pretty well on the set sometimes. I basically quit buying any SU stuff on ebay will just stick to clothes and other misc. things. Had a bad experience with a lady and cardstock too, I got 1/2 of my money back but she led me on just long enough so I couldn't file a claim on the last auction :( And after 30 days they won't do a thing about it.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes