Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #1  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling cards

For those of you that sell cards....if you keep your cards in a clear envelope for display, people choosing what they want....do you give the customer the clear envelope also, or do you take the card out and keep the clear envelope and give them a regular envelope with their card? Does that make sense? Ifeel like I'm rambling. I just figured if they are going to throw the clear envelope away, why not keep it and re-use it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the card and envelope together in a clear open top envelope. It keeps the cards from getting messed up and also looks a little more professional. And yes, I sell the clear envelope, card, and regular envelope together. You can buy the clear bag/envelope at clearbags.com

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I leave the cards in the clear envie. To me it's part of the packaging to make it look nice and professional.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:08 AM   #4  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Thanks - thats what I was thinking, but wasn't sure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Yes, I leave it in there, but @ my church craft boutique a lot of women just open it right there and give me the clear part back, which works for me as well. I just don't request it back. It's part of the sale IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #6  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

how many cards do you ladies have at any one time for sale. I'm just starting to dabble in this, just selling mostly to my co-workers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I do 2 winter boutiques each year and have about 250 cards for sale, along with other stuff. When I stamp I make 4 of each card, 1 to keep and 3 go to my stash to send out or to sell. I stamp all year long and stamp whatever I am in the mood to stamp. My cards range from very simple to very elaborate. I do not take any special orders, as I want stamping to be fun and don't want it to feel like a job. I have also found that no matter how many cards you have, someone will want a different color or saying. You can't please everyone. I do end up selling about 1/2 of the cards I have out.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

what size bag do you order on clearbags.com??

"Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions."
Cullen Hightower
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I order #B54NF which is 4 5/8 x 5 7/8 large enough to hold a card and envelope. I think they are $4.00 for 100 + shipping. There is a lot of great stuff at clearbags.com look around while you're there.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

There's also such a thing as card jackets, which are basically like book dust covers, only clear, like the envelopes. I think they are a little less expensive, and allow the card to be opened to see the inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogstampedeView Post
I do 2 winter boutiques each year and have about 250 cards for sale, along with other stuff. When I stamp I make 4 of each card, 1 to keep and 3 go to my stash to send out or to sell. I stamp all year long and stamp whatever I am in the mood to stamp. My cards range from very simple to very elaborate. I do not take any special orders, as I want stamping to be fun and don't want it to feel like a job. I have also found that no matter how many cards you have, someone will want a different color or saying. You can't please everyone. I do end up selling about 1/2 of the cards I have out.

Lynn

Very smart!! I had to find out the hard way! Argh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do any of you sell at craft fairs? How do you display your cards there? I am doing one in October and only have a 6' table to work with, that is what they give for the space. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Diana

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I also use a 6' table. I have a display rack that is about 3' tall and holds about 15 cards. (that's to entice the customers over) I have cards in boxes (this year I may use the SU Forget-me-not Keepers, in the past Michaels photo boxes) I have the cards divided in sections such as Birthday, Thank You, Sympathy, Thinking of You, etc. Also, have different levels on your table, either by something under the tablecloth, or shelves or crates on the table. I find that if you have too many items on the table that it can be overwhelming, so I put out a few of each item and have the rest under the table. I have no problem showing customers other items I have stored under the table if they are at all interested. If you have interested customers at your table it draws more customers. No one wants to miss out on a good deal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=dogstampede;6368430When I stamp I make 4 of each card, 1 to keep and 3 go to my stash to send out or to sell. I stamp all year long and stamp whatever I am in the mood to stamp. My cards range from very simple to very elaborate. Lynn[/QUOTE]

What great advise! There is nothing worse than stamping like crazy to get ready for a show (it's exhausting and not fun) and then to be disappointed with the results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

For those of you who sell at fairs how much do you sell each card for? I was thinking $2 each or 6 for $10?

My Blog: http://jenspaperobsession.blogspot.com/

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I sell my cards for $2.50 each or 5 for $10.00. I do not sell ready made packs of cards. I tried that the first year and they just did not sell. I think people like to choose their own cards. I also only make a few xmas cards. I have found that they are usually not big sellers, maybe because you can buy large packs of xmas cards a lot cheaper. My biggest sellers are birthday, thank you, and sympathy. I think people don't mind spending more for "special" cards. This is just my experience, others might have a totally different insight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The same place you're getting the clear envies from also has boxes...they are great for holding 4 or 5 cards with envelopes...and they fold flat for storage. You can also ask for a sample of a box when you order your envies. That's what I did because I wanted to get one first and make sure they fit for what I needed. I was surprised they came flat...but you just pop them and tuck in the ends and you're ready to go. I ordered some clear boxes from cdstamps.com and they don't collapse flat so I have to store them where they won't get squished. They are also a little larger...so I have to use some crinkle in the box and I add a matching pen (which fills the top portion of the box).

If you want to see the cdstamps boxes I just posted my kids' teacher gift baskets yesterday and there is one in the basket. I don't have any pics of the ones from clearbags though.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I use clear envelopes...it costs me $2.99 for 100 (at paperzone) and they fit my cards and an envelope, then the top flips over and I seal it with a sticker.. I figure if it costs $2.99 for a pack of 100 of these envelopes...if I sell one card...it pays for itself...now 100 cards at $3 each...is $300...I can afford to sell them in the clear envelope and let people keep the envelope...besides...you can only reuse them one or twice because they wrinkle pretty easily and then begin to look crappy. If you want people to buy your cards...you need to present them nicely...if the envelopes that they are in look crappy...people will think that you don't care and not want to buy them. Do you see...? Just give them that clear envelope...they are inexpensive and easy to find...just buy some more. At $3 for 100...that's a great bargin! Just my thoughts. Also, if you are selling cards using Stampin' Up! merchandise, you are supposed to have the Stampin' Up! copyright on them - Stampin' Up! sell's stamps that you can stamp the back of your cards with that meet the Stampin' Up! Angel Policy requirements and they are pretty inexpensive...you can purchase a personalized name stamp that contains the copyright for $18.95, this stamp would have your name and the copyright logo on it to ensure that you are meeting the Angel Policy requirements...this information can be found in your 2007 Fall Winter Catty on page 162. Best of luck! When I started selling my cards...I got really frustrated because they weren't selling...now (almost a year later) I have customers calling because they need something particular...Best of luck to you and God Bless.

Stephanie Vittorio

Stuff I've Stamped
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

This is just a little off-topic, but I have 2 questions. First, what do you do about the copyright stamp when you combine stamps from 3-4 or more companies on the same card? It seems like you'd be giving credit to the wrong company and it would look terrible on the card back with so many stamps. Also what about sales tax? I was thinking about putting a box of cards in my husband's office, but it's not worth it if I have to sign up for a tax number. What does everybody else do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone else actually use the clear envelope as THE envelope? When I send cards I just put them in the clear with either a label sticker on the outside with the address, or I put the address on the inside on a little piece of white paper. They always mail fine... do most people just use them for display?
Amanda Allison - TAC angel #3779
Lovin every minute of it!
www.amandaallison.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Smile Selling Cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennyAliaView Post
For those of you who sell at fairs how much do you sell each card for? I was thinking $2 each or 6 for $10?

I have sold my cards in several boutiques and stores where they fine art. My cards are either 4x4, 5x5 or normal. I use at least three layers of cardstock on different places on the cards. I put them in Clear Plastic envelopes as not for them to get dirty. I rarely use many accessories as they can be difficult for the buyer to mail and get there in one piece. I would say my style of stamping is clean sort of looking like Hallmark and Target.
I sell my cards from $4-6. I do take special orders. Don't sell yourself short on the price...I recently went to Wal-Mart and looked at their best hand made looking cards they were $4.95
I also sell my cards for the same price at craft fairs. Hope this helps~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

bump

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:03 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I have two styles of clear cover envies: 1) dust cover type, so the buyer can see inside, 2) whole bag, especially for fancy cards. The clear covers always go with the buyer - it keeps the card nice until they mail/give it. But my buyers voluntarily save them up, and give them back a few at a time.

I, too, always make 4+ cards--one to keep and others into my sale stock. I take special orders, and my buyers are already asking what I have for xmas. I charge $2ish for easy one-layer styles, up to $4 for elaborate. I have a set of 6 in my gallery [Flourishes] that I sold for $12.

Best of luck for your sale,
Valerie

My blog at: andmylittledogtoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Valerie, I love that set of cards in your gallery. I found them on-line, and now I can't decide which set to get. One question - at stampdiva.com. they mention that Ronna Farrer and Autumn Leaves stamps cannot be used for commercial purposes. Does that mean you can't sell cards with the image? I wouldn't think so, but I wouldn't want to do anything wrong.

Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

What is it you wanted me to 'let you know'? You will have to decide for yourself what you would do. Did I miss the point you were trying to make [that I have done something illegal]?

Thank you for your compliment on my card set, though. Obviously, they could be duplicated with any style flourish stamp.

regards,
Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

So sorry if it came across as offensive - I wasn't trying to make that point at all. I just wondered if you knew the angel policy for the Ronna Farrer stamps. I was confused by the wording on the stampdiva site, and I thought you might know since you use those stamps. I am not sure what they mean by "Commercial Use", that's all. Where do you purchase your Ronna Farrer stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you for offering your apology.

Since I'm not any type of demo, or go to shows, I will admit I dont research Angel Policys as well as I should. I would assume that 'not for commercial use' means that you cant use the image for profit. {I'll stay off my angel policy soapbox for now}. I bought this Rhonna Farrer set at Archivers, last month. I think I might have also seen them at Hobby Lobby, but not swearing. I find Flourish designs very versatile.

Good luck and thanks
Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:07 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Great tips by everyone! I'll definitely keep these in mind when I make cards for our chruch's craft fair.

Thanks to everyone!
Kristina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

When I package my cards for sale. I, too, put the envie stamped to match the card in some way in the clear envie with the card. I have also started stamping on a scrap piece of card stock the sentiment I put on the inside of the card, then I square it up and put in into the envelope at the back. That way if there is something inside the card, they'll know what it is.
I have been selling mine for $2.50 each. I am packaging my Christmas cards in groups of 6 and selling them for $12 a set. If they purchase 3 sets then they'll get a discount.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 04:34 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

very neat idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks TanaAlabama & Dogstampede for your input. I had been thinking of doing mostly Christmas cards. I'll switch that up and raise my prices a little. I was concerned about them being too high because it seems that people always want a bargain at church craft fairs.

Sorry for the hijack. Back to the original topic - I bought clear bags on ebay a while back but I don't remember the seller. They came (with shipping) to .03 cents each. I was planning on using one for each card and envelope so they look professional.

My Blog: http://jenspaperobsession.blogspot.com/

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

bump

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lots of great info in this thread..thanks for sharing ladies...
Reply With Quote Likes