Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiyanne1View Post
I have to agree!!! nobody leaves comments on my blog. I have tried listing all the ingredients then I felt like why?? it's time consuming and I have no customers ..so why do it again..so someone can copy my card to the T and then what? it's frustrating but I started listing the ingredients again just because I have liked what I have done lately and thought well heck..let me see if I can get 1 customer LOL!!!! it's all so weird but whatever.. I do what makes me happy and if I feel like listing the product I will.. ..people want everything handed to them but can they take a minute to leave a nice comment ..NO but they can complain perfectly fine..go figure... weirdness I tell ya
You have a Beautiful blog! You are now in my blogger feed:p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 04:58 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimzkardzView Post
I agree completely. I also try to do this in my blog. Sometimes though, I'm worried I'm giving too much info. I try to pick the top questions I think people will have and try to answer those.

Great thread and very useful for us who have blogs. 😀
Kim, I have just added you to my blog feeder. I love your blog:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #43  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

I have to agree!!! nobody leaves comments on my blog. I have tried listing all the ingredients then I felt like why?? it's time consuming and I have no customers ..so why do it again..so someone can copy my card to the T and then what? it's frustrating but I started listing the ingredients again just because I have liked what I have done lately and thought well heck..let me see if I can get 1 customer LOL!!!! it's all so weird but whatever.. I do what makes me happy and if I feel like listing the product I will.. ..people want everything handed to them but can they take a minute to leave a nice comment ..NO but they can complain perfectly fine..go figure... weirdness I tell ya
Just. Wow. As a fairly new stamper, I didn't know it annoyed people so much when I case their cards. This tone really surprised me, as I believe that imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by InThayneCropperView Post
Just. Wow. As a fairly new stamper, I didn't know it annoyed people so much when I case their cards. This tone really surprised me, as I believe that imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery. Yikes.
Don't worry about casing cards. If you upload just give credit to the original poster. Most times when people case, colors, paper, stamped image or layout are different.

I find that when I start casing a card, I end up redesigning it and the card turns out completely different.

Just Enjoy your crafting:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Casing can be a touchy subject :-) Personally, it doesn't bother me when credit is given (to me or any of my friends work that I see cased....I get more defensive of my friends that myself lol) OR even when it's just mentioned that it was cased. Don't even need to credit me, just the fact that it's not your original design.

I think a lot of us put a lot of our time and ourselves into the design process and it's hurtful to see people pass it off as their own. I know there are a few that really upset me because they constantly case my creations with no mention at all that they are cased and often times make write ups that explain their design process as if they did come up with it or they use it to sell tutorials, classes, and or products which also bugs me. It wouldn't if they just mentioned it was a case. I'm often inspired by a card and I always try to mention who inspired me even if the card doesn't look the same in the end or at the very least I was inspired by something I saw somewhere lol! That's all I want to see really if that makes sense. I am happy that people liked my card enough to case it but I'd also like them to be polite which I don't think is asking too much :-)

Now, sometimes it happens by total accident for instance if you're new and not aware of the "etiquette" :-) And that's ok. Just try to do your best!

Again, this is a big time hot button topic any time it comes up and there are for sure two camps but that's just my two cents. Now, no one has been casing me lately because I've barely been stamping lol! Whoops!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 05:29 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Normally if a it says "look at more blog for more details" I don't even bother. Because I know 90% of the time, I still won't find out what was used on this card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Casing can be a touchy subject :-) Personally, it doesn't bother me when credit is given (to me or any of my friends work that I see cased....I get more defensive of my friends that myself lol) OR even when it's just mentioned that it was cased. Don't even need to credit me, just the fact that it's not your original design.

I think a lot of us put a lot of our time and ourselves into the design process and it's hurtful to see people pass it off as their own. I know there are a few that really upset me because they constantly case my creations with no mention at all that they are cased and often times make write ups that explain their design process as if they did come up with it or they use it to sell tutorials, classes, and or products which also bugs me. It wouldn't if they just mentioned it was a case. I'm often inspired by a card and I always try to mention who inspired me even if the card doesn't look the same in the end or at the very least I was inspired by something I saw somewhere lol! That's all I want to see really if that makes sense. I am happy that people liked my card enough to case it but I'd also like them to be polite which I don't think is asking too much :-)

Now, sometimes it happens by total accident for instance if you're new and not aware of the "etiquette" :-) And that's ok. Just try to do your best!

Again, this is a big time hot button topic any time it comes up and there are for sure two camps but that's just my two cents. Now, no one has been casing me lately because I've barely been stamping lol! Whoops!!!
Well now, this is just wrong! I am sorry this is happening to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently started blogging again but for a whole different reason than has been mentioned so far: Pinterest. While is was a thrill the first time I found someone had pinned something of mine, it also bothered me a lot. I have only been pinned a few times but in each case the person never bothered to contact me in anyway. They never left a comment in my gallery or sent me a pm, I found the pins completely by accident.

I came up with the idea of watermarking my stuff with my blog address so others will know something is mine now and know where to go to see more of my creations. I really don't want to spend a lot of time doing computer type stuff but this was the only solution I could come up with and it was most definitely the wrong time of year to start blogging again, no time but I am trying. I do list which stamps and dies were used and any other products that I know the who what where of but some things like papers I have no idea and rarely is anything I used new product or technique anyway.

I just don't understand why if someone liked something enough to pin it and they are right there gallery viewing anyway they can't take a few seconds to say something to the effect of, " loved this so much I've pinned it." It would sure make my century to get a comment or pm like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #49  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

I do think it's high praise and I love it when people do and find it humbling that someone liked it enough to try it themselves. I blog because I want to share. If it inspires someone that completely makes my day CASE away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I recently started blogging again but for a whole different reason than has been mentioned so far: Pinterest. While is was a thrill the first time I found someone had pinned something of mine, it also bothered me a lot. I have only been pinned a few times but in each case the person never bothered to contact me in anyway. They never left a comment in my gallery or sent me a pm, I found the pins completely by accident.

I came up with the idea of watermarking my stuff with my blog address so others will know something is mine now and know where to go to see more of my creations. I really don't want to spend a lot of time doing computer type stuff but this was the only solution I could come up with and it was most definitely the wrong time of year to start blogging again, no time but I am trying. I do list which stamps and dies were used and any other products that I know the who what where of but some things like papers I have no idea and rarely is anything I used new product or technique anyway.

I just don't understand why if someone liked something enough to pin it and they are right there gallery viewing anyway they can't take a few seconds to say something to the effect of, " loved this so much I've pinned it." It would sure make my century to get a comment or pm like that.
If the pinned card is directly from SCS, on pintrest when you click on the pin of your card, pintrest will bring the viewer right back to SCS.

So all of your info is included in this situation.

Pins directly from your blog, when someone on pintrest clicks on your card, pintrest should direct viewer back to your blog.

But if someone copy/paste a picture of your card from either SCS or your blog, no info is present for that pin but your watermark. This pin would be a dead link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #51  

I consider pinning of my work a compliment just like a comment. I don't expect anyone to do both if they don't want to. I see pinning as saying, "hey I really like that." :-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Interesting turn!

Back to the OP, I think most of us would agree that if someone gives an outside link and says, "There's more info on my blog," it's a fair expectation that the 'more' relates to the specific project, and includes details or views that couldn't be shared in the gallery. If it frustrates you when your expectations aren't met... frustration is just as much a choice as clicking was a choice.

I appreciate hearing the perspective from the other side too - why some bloggers may not spell out every detail. There is a lot of misunderstanding and varied opinion regarding copyright, intellectual property, internet sharing, etc. Many of us post with the intent to educate and inspire, and it's encouraging when someone is inspired and takes the time to link back, email, or give credit. That doesn't always happen.

(Related to that, too, another benefit of building community is that we recognize each other's work and have each other's backs when credit isn't given.)

I sometimes leave out details - not because I'm afraid someone will copy me, but because I want readers to be inspired to infuse their own creativity into products they already have. I never want people to think that if they use a certain color/brand of paper, certain brand of marker/pencil/paint, or certain trick or technique that things will automatically come together. Most of my videos include the line, "Play around with what you have to find out what works for you."

With the volume of content on Pinterest, I wouldn't expect someone to request permission to pin. When done correctly, as Leslie shared, the pin refers people to the original gallery or blog post. There are many threads in the forums about the etiquette of commenting when you favorite or pin. I agree with Lydia that either act is a compliment in itself.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #53  

I guess I have a question that I think someone else asked already.....are that many people really looking for like step by step directions (cuz ain't nobody...I mean me...got time for that lol....I'm LUCKY if I get a dang card MADE these days let alone blogged and posted hahahaha) and measurements? When I see a card I like I can usually figure it out on my own or at least how I want to do it. And I don't really measure things that much, I just wing it lol! Is that odd? So I'd probably have to either write things out as I go along or go back and measure everything at the end, neither of which will happen lol! I'm talking about just general stamping here and NOT some special or unique technique of course. Then, I might do a step by step or expect one on a blog. Just thinking out loud of sorts here :-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #54  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post

I love how you explained this!!! that's exactly what I feel!!!! I suck at writing so I couldn't explain it like this..so THANK YOU!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

My "tone" isn't about me not liking someone casing my cards..I just ask that you give credit ..as a matter of fact if you look at my pictures I haven't water marked my pictures in YEARS because if you want to case them than by all means do it..what I don't like is someone is always complaining about some blogger who didn't do something..but as a blogger myself I have tried different things to give to people..I usually ask a question once a week but I get no feedback. I know my writing sucks but I don't cuss I give basic info. I think I have gotten better with taking pictures of my cards etc. I also have my blog set up for anonymous comments ..I don't have word verification..I make things easy for someone to just say one nice comment..that's my soapbox comment ..why is it easier for someone to complain than it is to say something nice? like I said in a different post ..I stopped caring awhile ago because I get it..they just want to see and move on BUT when you take the time to find flaws and point them out ..than I will speak up..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
You have a Beautiful blog! You are now in my blogger feed:p
I got the notice this morning that you signed up....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I APPRECIATE that so much!!!!! you have completely made my day!!!!!! thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

My "tone" isn't about me not liking someone casing my cards..I just ask that you give credit ..as a matter of fact if you look at my pictures I haven't water marked my pictures in YEARS because if you want to case them than by all means do it..what I don't like is someone is always complaining about some blogger who didn't do something..but as a blogger myself I have tried different things to give to people..I usually ask a question once a week but I get no feedback. I know my writing sucks but I don't cuss I give basic info. I think I have gotten better with taking pictures of my cards etc. I also have my blog set up for anonymous comments ..I don't have word verification..I make things easy for someone to just say one nice comment..that's my soapbox comment ..why is it easier for someone to complain than it is to say something nice? like I said in a different post ..I stopped caring awhile ago because I get it..they just want to see and move on BUT when you take the time to find flaws and point them out ..than I will speak up..
It is not necessarily complaining, but maybe we can give insight to a few card/craft bloggers.

As I said before we are card makers here. When we click on a blog link it is because we are interested in the specific card that was posted.

Why for the life of me, does a card marker post a card and not give ANY info on the card. But instead talk/complain about kids being sick and she cant "create". Or a husband that spends to much money on himself and does not let her(the blogger) spend money on crafting. Or better yet post about a family feud. I sure have read a hand full of these blogs and I just shake my head about so much personal info out in internet space.

These are the bloggers in question.

Better yet, there are Newbies out there. They are always in need of instruction. I know when I joined here back in 2005 there was no such animal as card blogs. At least I did not know of any.

This is the way our crafting community learns, by internet. Not many card makers have scrap/stamp stores they can go to for instruction. If they do classes usually start at $20. Some even make student buy the supplies before class.

Just a few reasons I am throwing out there for bloggers to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Quite honestly lesliespringer I love card making so much..I have considered making YouTube videos on how to make some from start to finish..I have made a couple already for my card class but it has taken me awhile to get a hang of it and the first few were horrible quality but my husband and I have done everything we can possibly do to make it where we can see the cards..it's a learning process and really time consuming but I really want to do it and I absolutely love Project Life too.so I hope to get started here pretty soon on those type of things if anyone has a question on what my dimensions are or any question..you are welcome to ask and I will gladly answer but I don't know what people would want to see and even if they like what they see LOL! ..I guess my suggestion is ..just ask a blogger a question and that might help them know what people want to see and maybe they can fix it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I'm not really attracted to blogs with excessive personal information either, but I can appreciate that the authors are humans with dimension and experience, with families and lives much larger than their blog posts, and 'real life' does sometimes slop over into our creative lives. Everyone has a story. (Not to say that everybody needs to share it! Some things are certainly inappropriate to air.)

I don't add personal info to my blog posts often, but I know that during a recent family crisis and abrupt move back to the States, my widest support and encouragement came from fellow designers and my blog readers. That was and is so deeply valuable to me - and that does not happen through links and measurements.

Some bloggers may have a blog just as a public-yet-personal chronicle of their creativity, and not have an audience in mind. That's OK. If I paid and purchased supplies for a class on cardmaking and instead ended up at a sob session, I would have valid reason for concern. However, if an artist opened her home to me and instead of instructing me in her particular medium, she poured me a cup of tea and dove into a deep conversation... different story.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to pop back in and thank Dini (Dina) for the most insightful and appropriate comments throughout this entire conversation. You're one of a kind--in the best possible way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #61  

I share personal things on my blog. It's just the way I am. I don't think I've shared anything inappropriate though as it's usually just funny stories or maybe a little venting about how I HAVE been struggling to create (which I think is good for other people to see that it's not always easy to be creative). I also shared about my struggles to become pregnant which probably PO'd some people but I don't really care. My blog helped me get through that extremely rough time because people came out of the woodwork in support and asking for support for the same issues. It's not like I ever went into "detail" about anything but it was helpful for me to share and to realize there were a lot of people out there struggling with me. I felt so alone for so long. I also talk about my pregnancy now and then mainly because well, people ask for updates. But, I haven't talked about it a lot just because I'm rarely stamping and blogging and I'm dang tired. I also talked a lot about our move but again, that was something that was affecting my stamping in the end so I suppose it's kind of related. I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing some personal information (granted I wouldn't ever talk bad about family and air dirty laundry or anything like that) but I like to share and I personally like other bloggers who share their daily lives too. I feel like they are my friends and I get to know them and I see we all share a lot of the same struggles. And many of them seem to have funny "luck" like we do and have funny stories. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. But this hobby for me is about SO much more than just making cards. It's about friends and people and has truly helped me through some dark times.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think there are enough blogs (and blog feed readers) out there that people can find what suits them. Personally I look for continuing ideas that spark my creativity. For me that happens to not be too much personal but personal enough, so how is that for a conundrum.

Let me know if you are making something for... , let me know if you feel in a crafting humdrum because... etc. BUT (big but there) I don't want to know too much. I still remember the day at Nursery School in England when the 4 year old was explaining infertility treatment to all the Nursery School. That was a TMI moment for me. Not because of the story but because I wanted to have those talks with my kids first, not from some 4 year old. My reaction was not to react and see what my kids asked, but I didn't appreciate that boundary being crossed. Now for me, ATM I'm not really reading blogs. I do have a blog reader (Feedly) and if a project looks interesting I will look closer. TBH I look at the pictures and then quickly read and I may or may not comment. If someone is entering their blog into a country music songwriting competition (You Never Even Called Me By My Name reference ) that is their choice. It is my choice to like their visual arts and reserve comment on the other areas (Mama told me if I couldn't say something nice to say nothing at all).

And TBH I will still always link to my blog post from the gallery whether or not there is added information in that post BECAUSE the gallery doesn't post our signature lines if it did I would only link when there is added information. So I guess I am going to upset a few people, but hey, it's my gallery/blog party and I will cry if I want to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #63  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post

Ahhh takes me back to the days when we would close down the Dixie Chicken by singing this song
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Ahhh takes me back to the days when we would close down the Dixie Chicken by singing this song
I don't even like country music, and avoid it whenever possible - except for some reason, I like this one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #65  

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

It has been fun to read the responses in this thread!! I link my projects directly to my blog post (unless I "goof" up :-)) and I have free, detailed instructions on how to create the cards that I post to the gallery :-).

I have been contemplating whether or not I should continue with all of the detailed instructions, and just when I start to doubt that it has any impact, someone will mention either in the gallery (or on my blog) that the instructions are so helpful. These comments make my day (I usually get teary eyed on some of the sweet comments) and even though it takes longer generally for me to type, photo the card, create the links, etc. in creating the blog post than it did the actual card, I feel that I want to share the love of our craft with others and know that there are brand new crafters out there as well as experienced:-)

Thanks for bringing up this topic and I agree with the others regarding CASEing- please feel free to CASE my projects for personal use :-) I hope that we all continue to Create and Share Everything- I know that it has helped me immensely in my papercrafting journey! Hugs to all of you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #66  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie GearingerView Post
It has been fun to read the responses in this thread!! I link my projects directly to my blog post (unless I "goof" up :-)) and I have free, detailed instructions on how to create the cards that I post to the gallery :-).

I have been contemplating whether or not I should continue with all of the detailed instructions, and just when I start to doubt that it has any impact, someone will mention either in the gallery (or on my blog) that the instructions are so helpful. These comments make my day (I usually get teary eyed on some of the sweet comments) and even though it takes longer generally for me to type, photo the card, create the links, etc. in creating the blog post than it did the actual card, I feel that I want to share the love of our craft with others and know that there are brand new crafters out there as well as experienced:-)

Thanks for bringing up this topic and I agree with the others regarding CASEing- please feel free to CASE my projects for personal use :-) I hope that we all continue to Create and Share Everything- I know that it has helped me immensely in my papercrafting journey! Hugs to all of you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #67  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Julie, I love your cards and visit your blog! Thanks for your hard work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #68  

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Julie, I love your cards and visit your blog! Thanks for your hard work!
Thanks Kathy- you are so sweet :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

The good thing about this thread as I have added quite a few blogs to my Feedly feed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

I have no problem with people putting a link to their blog and no information about the card in their gallery here. That is their right. But it is also my right to not click that link and put that blog on my ignore list...which is exactly what I do.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #71  
Stampin' Fool

Name of stamps used ( company and set or stamp name )...ink used, colors and company, same for paper, and style name and company of embossing folders used.
That is the main information I am looking for. Either because I want to reproduce the card as close as possible or because I've been looking for paper that color and can't find it; or wanting an embossing folder to finish off a project and suddenly I see something that looks perfect on your project!
If there was a special technique used I don't need a link to directions, just identify the technique and I can look it up myself if interested.
I have been known to send personal messages to the creators or contact them through their blog to ask for stamp set names etc. if I am really interested in it and can't find the information anywhere else. But it would be much easier to have that information listed with the project in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #72  
Insane Embellisher

If I like a card enough, I will click on the blog link to see what supplies were used. Sometimes a card has a new folding technique or an inky technique on it and I want to see how it's done.

I guess I am in the minority, it doesn't matter to me if all the facts are in the gallery post, I'll click through to the blog when I want, and I sure wouldn't put someone on ignore just because they didn't include all the information on their card.

I've seen Pinned items that take me back here to the gallery, and if there is a blog listed I will often click on it to see what else is posted on the blog. I have found lots of very nice blogs that way. And I don't think Pinterest is meant as a forum where you post back a message to the person you pinned from, good gravy, I pin a lot and there is no way I could do that. If I get back to a blog from Pinterest I usually leave a nice comment if something really blows my skirt up.

We all have diverse opinions and ways of doing things. They are not "right" or "wrong", just our own thing, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will admit that, even with my crafty friends, I am much more likely to comment on the SCS post than on the blog entry itself. It happens, but not often. I hadn't thought about that from the other side -- where the blogger may be wondering if anyone is out there. Will try to be better about that when I do click through.

As for CASEing, I do my fair share of that, but try to be good about giving credit. I also usually send a PM to the person I CASEd when I post my card to let them know they inspired me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a stamper, I really like seeing information about the stamps, ink, and paper used to make a project. I often am introduced to new products or stamp companies this way. I always list them at the bottom of my blog posts, because that's something I appreciate myself. That said, I don't expect someone to click my blog link to get that info. I always include it in my SCS gallery as well. I just copy/paste it over, so I'm not typing it twice. I include a direct link to my blog post just in case someone is interested in seeing more details about how it was made or bigger photos. Still, all the pertinent info is right there with the gallery photo so it isn't necessary. For me, it's a great record if I ever want to re-create it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 06:39 PM   #75  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
this is interesting. a bit off topic, but I write less info on my blog because so many folks say they don't read the words, just look at the pictures in feedly or on their phones. Maybe I'll add a bit more....thanks for keeping me thinking.
I get the same feedback Joan. More pictures and skip other stuff because they don't read it.

Many times when I've written out all the details (most times the stamp company is mentioned at the beginning of the post and then again in a supply list below I will still have people asking what company the stamps came from. It's a little frustrating to me to put the time in and then have nobody even read it.

And my two cents on the gallery... I really don't care (just thinking out loud) what is in the supply list on people's uploads. I'm just happy they are still uploading to SCS. I have yet to find another gallery I enjoy looking at more than right here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #76  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Oh - I'm glad Jeanne's post bumped this thread up. I saw the first few posts just before we went on holidays, and it was a topic that interested me. I don't use my blog for cards, so here I'm speaking as a reader, not a blogger. The things I would always most like to know are supplies (primarily stamps, embossing folder, dies, and paper if it's current) and any unusual how-to things. But I have to admit that I also like a small bit of chit-chat and personal stuff. I've followed all of Joan's blogs (and read every post, though I don't often comment). Looking at the (not very many) craft blogs in my feed, I don't think there are any that don't have some "personality" to them...And I read everything, not just the pictures ;-).
It does annoy me when an upload here specifically says "see my blog for more details", even giving a specific blog link to the correct post ~ but then there are no more details. Sometimes I'm trying to find out the stamp used if I'm on a gallery mod shift, so as to put it in the correct gallery.
I totally understand people just putting their homepage blog link at the foot of their write-up in lieu of a signature. That's leaving it up to the discretion of the reader whether they follow through or not. But if there's any suggestion that the post relates to that upload, I like a direct link and otherwise am unlikely to click on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #77  
Mad Swapper

Received 76 Likes on 22 Posts

I like it when people put the link to their blogs. I don't click on it to get more details. I click on it because I like their card and want to see more of their creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM   #78  

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I overshare personal stuff on my blog, but I've had people comment that they like to know what's going on with my little girl. We don't really have any family and friends that we are close to here, so I have my little online family to share things with. I guess I should ask and see if people are turned off by that.

I don't really get any orders or customers through blogging though, so I guess I just think it's more of a personal blog of my cards and life rather than a business thing. If I had a ton of sales, etc from my blog, I'd spend more time on listing supplies and all that stuff. Lately I struggle to even remember the name of most stuff, so adding extra time looking up supply names is just not something that I can do. Toddlers take up a lot of time. More than I knew in fact! I do try to answer emails if people ask about things, but I can only do so much with the time I have each day.

Good insight on this discussion and I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM   #79  

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyann22View Post
I guess I overshare personal stuff on my blog, but I've had people comment that they like to know what's going on with my little girl. We don't really have any family and friends that we are close to here, so I have my little online family to share things with. I guess I should ask and see if people are turned off by that.

I don't really get any orders or customers through blogging though, so I guess I just think it's more of a personal blog of my cards and life rather than a business thing. If I had a ton of sales, etc from my blog, I'd spend more time on listing supplies and all that stuff. Lately I struggle to even remember the name of most stuff, so adding extra time looking up supply names is just not something that I can do. Toddlers take up a lot of time. More than I knew in fact! I do try to answer emails if people ask about things, but I can only do so much with the time I have each day.

Good insight on this discussion and I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts.
You keep sharing my friend, I know I'm reading! And I've gotta have my little girl fix ;-) Honestly my favorite blogs are the ones that mix stamping and life! I've gotten to "know" so many people that way!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Personal stuff and blogging is lovely- you get to know the person, not just the crafter, iykwim?
Reply With Quote Likes