Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:42 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

What is it that makes us need so many crafty toys ... only to let them take up space and gather immeasurable amounts of dust? I am SO guilty of engaging in this phenomenon! ;)

Those items that immediately come to mind are:
  • the full-sized (huge) Score-It-All
  • the "Tearing Edge" .... sounds like a soap opera and can actually cause pain & drama if handled carelessly!
  • Retractable Craft Knife (T. Holtz item) ... great in theory ... but wobbly and inaccurate in reality.
  • those little metal "corners" to be pressed (i.e. smashed) into place on cardstock for a Harry Potter-style corner finish. I bought gobs of these and used two ... throwing each attempt away. :rolleyes:
  • Paper Paints .... bought at least six ... tried 2 ... Years before mixed media came into play. Why? Just ... why?
  • Yep .... I also have a huge zippie bag of special Fiskars scissors like many of you. Just took a photo of them over this weekend & texted to DD to see if the Grands "need" them, since I do not. (She has not replied ... as she is a master at purging.) LOL
I'm sure I'll find more items that belong on this list, as I have just begun to so some "Spring" cleaning here in the stampin' zone. Heaven help me!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiemom23csView Post
I don't know why I had to have the Distrezz-It-All but I bought it and I think its useless. I can do the distressing with my handheld tool just as good. I have only used it like twice. I won't even get into the 7 die cutting machines I have :rolleyes:
One persons trash.........This has been on my wish list forever. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2014, 01:18 PM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
One persons trash.........This has been on my wish list forever. LOL!
I'm with ya sistah! That looks like a fun tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 02:37 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

I am keeping up with this topic so that I will think twice before I buy. I am wondering about the Score-It-All, why that would be on the list. I had been thinking about needing one haha! Cuttlebug is on it's way ...yahoo!

I bought a box of crayons, some coloured pencils and paints that I won't be using much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
Cricut and cartridges....why did I buy them????
Be still my heart ... really ... do you still have them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #46  
Demo Challenge Leader

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueBeedooView Post
I am keeping up with this topic so that I will think twice before I buy. I am wondering about the Score-It-All, why that would be on the list. I had been thinking about needing one haha! Cuttlebug is on it's way ...yahoo!

I bought a box of crayons, some coloured pencils and paints that I won't be using much.
Ohhhhh ... this is pretty heavy ... not nearly as easy to move around your crafting table as the newer scoring tools. This was out long before the lighter-weight grooved scoring boards. ;) Scores 12x12 and you score along that metal strip you see in the center.
Availability: Item Discontinued & Out of Stock
Your Price: $39.99

We're sorry. This item is discontinued.

Some times it's just wise to "wait" instead of jumping on the first band-wagon. :lol:

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 02-18-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I think a scoreboard is a must for making cards and other papercraft items. The Martha Stewart board is inexpensive, and comes with a tool to make your own envelopes. Here is a link at Amazon, but you can also find it at Michaels and use a coupon:

Amazon.com: Martha Stewart Crafts Scoring Board and Envelope Tool: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Bind-It-All
Be still my heart ... I couldn't live without this back in the day. And now I can't live without the Cinch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I am keeping up with this topic so that I will think twice before I buy. I am wondering about the Score-It-All, why that would be on the list.
I'm NOT a fan of the Score-It-All but can't imagine life without a Scor-Pal! And I believe SU! has an awesome version of this ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #50  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

A lot of regrets, but also a lot of good decisions too! I passed on the adorable texture boutique by sizzix and bought the big shot....love it! And it does so much more than I could have done with the TB. Another good decision was the envelope punch board. Use it lots!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Isn't it funny how we're all so different? Must be why the companies stay in business!!!

Many moons ago when I first got into stamping, I took a class on making your own paper. Had a bin full of the presses, screens, pulp, linters, dried flowers, etc. Think I did it once and have hung on to that stuff for 20 years!!! My kids cleaned out my garage as a surprise, and that's one of the things that went - without my knowledge!!! Don't think I'll miss it one little bit!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #52  
Demo Challenge Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Isn't it funny how we're all so different? Must be why the companies stay in business!!!

Many moons ago when I first got into stamping, I took a class on making your own paper. Had a bin full of the presses, screens, pulp, linters, dried flowers, etc. Think I did it once and have hung on to that stuff for 20 years!!! My kids cleaned out my garage as a surprise, and that's one of the things that went - without my knowledge!!! Don't think I'll miss it one little bit!
Ha!!
A few years ago I took a workshop on making paper & really enjoyed it. For a while, I searched online for the necessary elements to make some here at home. Now I'm glad that I forgot about that & moved on. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Oh, I did a similar thing some years ago except that it was dried flower arranging after doing a one term course at a local community centre. I bought all the wires and dried flowers, basket and containers - the special foam you stick the flowers in - I hate :eek: to think now how much it cost. Trouble was that my cat thinks that dried flowers are a wonderful thing to chew/pull out/rip apart/play with so anything that I put somewhere was mutilated or destroyed - usually when I wasn't at home. So, I had nowhere to put my arrangements that was "safe"....sigh....and my dried flower arranging days were over :( - but I can laugh about it now

Trouble is that when I get inspired and excited by "something", I want to go out and buy this book and that book and the supplies to get started - it just seems to snowball and then I don't get around to doing it. I have learned now that I am a little older to ask myself: "Am I REALLY going to do this? And if so, WHEN?" If my answer is usually: "Maybe" or "Not sure when" - then I sit on it and see how enthusiastic I am in a month's time!

Last edited by JoBear2; 02-18-2014 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: typo + added something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

I was lucky in that all I bought was some linters and a mold - Whew!

Some of the worst experiences came from listening to lovely dear enablers who swear a product is amazing and then once I get it home the darn thing doesn't work for me. I can stand on my head, hold my mouth just right and it still doesn't work or I have to take so many extra steps that it would be easier to do it without.

I cringe when I read a thread from a newbie stamper and someone gives advice about what the newbie just must buy to make cards and it's one of the things that is sitting in my garage sale bin. The reality is that all we need is a basic tool kit and a good paper cutter and everything else is a luxury. I'm not about to give up all my toys but I bet I could still be pretty creative without a lot of the things I have. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As a rule I don't usually jump on the bandwagon....with the exception of the Big Shot which I love. So most of my tools I have devised myself..like my stamp positioner is really just a bunch of Legos stuck together in a L shape and my bow maker is made of the old style tinkertoys.(My kids keep wondering where all of their toys are.) They don't look pretty but they work, and I can use the money to buy more stamps.
Anna Lee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a firm believer in "making do", and refuse to spend money on something when I can find stuff around the house to accomplish the task! Good for you on the re-purposed toys, lol!

I'm really, really glad that I bought a Big Shot, but the reason I bought it was because I bought a die for a cute box thing, which wouldn't fit through my Cuttlebug, which required the Big Shot, which required extended cutting platform and plates - that die has NEVER been used even once in two years! Still might get around to it, but that was a chunk of change I wasn't planning on spending...

I'm finding that I'm "streamlining" in a lot of areas, so I look for tools that will perform multiple tasks, smaller versions of whatever-it-is that still do whatever-they're-supposed-to, etc. The bigger, bulkier, one-function-only items seem to be going to new homes lately...

Now, if I could just break my attachment to some of the stamps that I love but don't use, so I could give them to someone who would actually apply ink to them... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

On another note - if you still have things that you don't want and are considering passing along, check out post #203 on THIS THREAD for a good home to send them to...

Reply With Quote Likes