Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Scrapbooking Retreats?

I'm thinking about planning one for some of my friends and want to know what kind of price range people would be willing to pay for:

2 nights accom. (in a cabin-possibly bunk type beds?)
24 hours(day/night) - to scrap/stamp (with a "no eyelets after 11pm" rule LOL)
Dinner Friday night
B/L/D on Saturday
B on Sunday

Access to all my tools and non-consumables.......yadda yadda...

I'm in NO WAY looking to make a profit off of this.....just curious as to what people would be willing to pay in order to decide where I can have it and still break even.

TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

is it in a scenic location? will there be a masseuse and a possibility for a pedicure?

OK - I'm just kidding, but wouldn't that all just be too wonderful! I couldn't help but notice you are in Alberta and so therefore my question about the scenery! Have fun and I look forward to seeing the responses to this question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Smile

I have no clue but sounds like fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Well.....yes, I am in Calgary and I am thinking of doing it either in Feb or Mar......so I don't want the girls to have to drive too far in possible Winter weather.....If you know Calgary at all, then you know we can have some mean winter driving.

The camp I am looking at is just outside of town....maybe 45 mins for some. It has a large main cabin and then some smaller separate cabins that hold about 24 people. The cabin I am looking at, has it's own kitchen/acces. ect. and I am waiting to hear if there is a second room that I can set up tables in for the "work room". There would not be any "spa" type facilities......really just a bed and a place to work(bare bones in a sense). I have already asked my Mom if she would be willing to play "Chef" for the weekend and she is fine with it. We would go out and purchase the groceries in advance and then divide the cost accordingly.

I would like to stay under the $200 mark if possible......does that sound reasonable??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

has anyone been to one??

What was it like?
What did it cost?
What did you like?
What did you dislike?

any advice would be great!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:15 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

It has been YEARS since I have been to one. So sorry I do not know what to charge. One thing that is very important, to me, is "Can I leave my stuff out over night?" and "how many feet of table space do I get?" When I was researching this a couple of years ago--the going amount of space was 6 ft (2 only to a 12ft table).

You might want to try Googling "Scrapbook Retreat" to see what others are offering or charging.

Also, Mine was offered by a Christian Camp so there were sharing times and devotions--I liked that. For a non-faith based event, a sharing time (my favorite page or something like that might be fun)

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a retreat business in Ohio. Check in Friday 4 pm - out Sunday at 3 pm. All night crop room open. Work room with tons of supplies (close to 100 stamp sets, sizzix and quick cutz plus anything else out new that my partner and I just "had to try").

The retreat includes snack buffet Fri and three meals on Sat and two on Sunday - all home cooked. All non alcoholic drinks and snacks provided.

The retreat is held in a very nice lodge with a hot tub and sauna available. All rooms are basically and sleep 4 - (queen size be and fouton in each one). All have soaking tubs and showers.

Our cost is $200 and it will go up to $225 in 2007. We have not had any complaints about prices.

Intersted in a Scrapbooking Retreat in Ohio - check out Indianbearscrapbooking.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

My stamping group did one in Pigeon Forge, TN (very near us). We split the cost of a cabin. We included food in the price and one lady brought all the food (she wanted to). Everyone then brought snacks to share and their own drinks. We went from Friday evening til noon Sunday. The cabin rental people gave us extra tables to have. It was a blast. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We only left the cabin to go to the local scrapbook store.
ps - get a crop-a-dile for eyelets - no sound whatsoever - you can do eyelets anytime...........

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

We had one last February. There were six of us gals and we planned our own retreat. 4 of 6 of us live in the same neighborhood and we scrap and stamp together fairly often. 3 of 6 of us are military dependents so it offered us a few more opportunities that cost less. We picked a house at Pacific Beach, WA (old Navy facility used now as a recreational site for active duty/retired military) that would sleep up to 10. We planned simple meals and shopped at costco. Then each of us was to bring what ever we wanted to work on and at least one snack item.
We spent less than $100 each for the weekend. We are hoping to go again this November if we can get a house....
One of our gals is a SU demo and one is a CM consultant so we pretty much had what we needed.

One thing we did find is that we planned way more food than we needed. So this time we'll plan a little differently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I go to a Scrap Camp each year. But ours is held at a local resort. We pay for our own rooms and food seperate. The registration fee is very reasonable (I think it's around $50). Each year it's themed. We have secret sisters (which is a blast). Since it is at a resort many people choose to have massages/pedicures etc but it's out of their own pocket. We get goodie bags as part of the registration fee. They have classes that you can pay extra for. They also have a t-shirt which you pay extra for. They take a group photo each year and that is part of your registration fee. We generally share a room so it's about $125 for two nights (for me...same for my roomie), then the $50 registration fee. And the food you can make expensive (eating on site) or cheap (McD's up the road). Including the food and such I'd say $200 is reasonable. Although I know many women (myself included) that would have nothing to do with climbing up to the top of a bunkbed!

HTH

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:40 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

We have numerous homes in Minnesota that are devoted just for this purpose - and more being established all the time. A group of my friends go twice a year. The one we go to in October has a capacity for 16 people and the cost is $595.00 per night for Friday and Saturday or $395.00 per night for Sunday thru Thursday. We divide the cost up among the 16. We do our own week-end so we don't have anyone hosting. We usually do pot luck with a group of 3 or 4 people being responsible for each meal - shopping, preparation & clean-up, therefore, we only have to do one meal for the entire week-end. We also hire a masseuse to come in on Saturday for anyone wanting a massage. We pay her directly and she charges $30.00 for a 1/2 hour massage or $60.00 for an hour massage.

The house has many tools (heat guns, punches, Xyron 900, die cuts, etc) for everyone to use and also has 2 computers and printers w/font software on them. Last year they got a Wishblade for people to use but charge a little extra for that.

Everyone gets their own 3x5 table to use.

It is wonderful! We usually arrive on Friday afternoon and some of us leave on Sunday afternoon and some of us stay until Monday afternoon.

What a great time we all have and there is so much creativity in the room all week-end! I would recommend it to anyone that gets the opportunity. It is money well spent.

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

A friend of mine who is a CM consultant did one last year and is doing one again this year

for $150 we get a place to sleep and scrap and a bunch of CM goodies - we can use any of her tools and she feeds us - we arrive Friday late afternoon and stay until Sunday late afternoon...

She is renting a 5 bedroom beach house for the weekend about 2 hours from us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I have a friend who has been to at least two locations in South Central Wisconsin, for a Scrappers Weekend. Meals all included. Farmhouse style. She raves about the great time she had. One is near Lake Geneva. Can not remember the other. If anyone is interested in going to one in this area, please let me know. I will contact her and get all of the information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
I have a friend who has been to at least two locations in South Central Wisconsin, for a Scrappers Weekend. Meals all included. Farmhouse style. She raves about the great time she had. One is near Lake Geneva. Can not remember the other. If anyone is interested in going to one in this area, please let me know. I will contact her and get all of the information.
Karen - I'm definitely interested. I did this when we lived in Texas. We went to a B&B, entirely devoted to scrapbookers. The husband and wife owners cooked every meal for us. It was wonderful. Got so much done too!

Judi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Will get the information, Judi!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:55 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

In Pigeon Forge the scrapbook superstore actually has a cabin you can rent. It's really nice and has several tables set up in a room as a crop room.

http://www.yourscrapbookstore.com/
click on the little cabin to see pics of the cabin.

Annetta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:07 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to khowardga

I try to go to one every year here in GA, although I haven't been to one in a year. You can check out her site though www.campcropalot.com

I have no problem paying the fee, I have to do nothing at all other than carry my junk in to the room the scrapbook and set up my bed. We do bunk bed style cabins as well (rustic) and we usually each get a bottom bunk.

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like fun, how about something a little farther east? Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #19  
8 Cow Woman

Amber, I know that there is a B&B in Pincher Creek that does scrapping retreats over weekends. Don't remember what it's called right now....

Okay, I just searched for it. It's called the Bloomin' Inn. Here's the link:

http://www.bloomin-inn.com/

Oh, I know LOTS of women from Calgary that go there frequently.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrielle
Amber, I know that there is a B&B in Pincher Creek that does scrapping retreats over weekends. Don't remember what it's called right now....

Okay, I just searched for it. It's called the Bloomin' Inn. Here's the link:

http://www.bloomin-inn.com/

Oh, I know LOTS of women from Calgary that go there frequently.

A lady that comes into my Mom's Coffee Shop just got back from there last week and said it was great.
I was hoping to find something a little closer if we are going to go during the winter months. The price is right.....I will just have to talk to the girls and see what they think.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #21  
8 Cow Woman

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber2006
A lady that comes into my Mom's Coffee Shop just got back from there last week and said it was great.
I was hoping to find something a little closer if we are going to go during the winter months. The price is right.....I will just have to talk to the girls and see what they think.

Thanks!!
Sorry I wasn't clear! I was just meaning to check them for prices so you know if you are charging a good rate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:46 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to attend a Crop A Lot crop in Binghamton, NY in October. We are staying at a hotel .. all meals included. Friday dinner til Sunday Brunch. Four people in a hotel room is $280 per person for the weekend - all meals and hotel included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

We did a scrapbook weekend in Big Bear CA., 2 years ago and we rented a HUGE cabin there was 10 of us and we all had our own bed and 2 people per table with food and cabin we paid $75 for Fri, Sat and Sun. It was fun our CM demo set it up and let us use her tools and supplies!!!!

Wish they had something like that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

ooops hit the reply button before I finished typing

Was wondering if they have something like that in Oregon. I actually would be interested in a Card stamping weekend!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by amber2006
has anyone been to one??

What was it like?
What did it cost?
What did you like?
What did you dislike?

any advice would be great!

Thanks again
My friend has a simple "retreat" from time to time and the fee is usually around $140 and we provide our own food. That includes the area for scrapping and our room - we double up in a room (only 1 per bed). We do this at a nice hotel in a good location so that we can go shopping and eat decent meals.
I say that 200 is cheap if you are including meals in that price. I would take the price of the cabin (unless it is free of course), meals and supplies that you will provide and divide that up between those who attend. If it is possible you should come up with a nice gift for your Mom for being "Chef" if not cash!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

I have two friends that rent a beautiful log house for scrapbook/craft weekends. It is located in the scenic Snoqualmie Valley in Washington State. Thier website is www.lodgevm.com. If you get 10 people to go in on the rental fee it is very affordable.
Hope this helps. June
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 02:27 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islandmomma2
I have a retreat business in Ohio.

OMG you are only 4 hours from me. I'm in Detroit. I am SO visiting you in the fall!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

There is a group of scrapbookers that plan events like you are talking about. It is called Dream Events Inc. I think the website is http://dreameventsinc.ipbhost.com/
Let me know if it doesn't work, and I will try again. I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and stayed in the hotel where they were having this event. They welcomed me right into their group. It was a lot of fun. They offer classes or you can just scrap/stamp your heart out all day and night. I hope to go to one in the spring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
Can you PM me with her info and website?
I have some questions for her. Sounds like lots of fun!!! I ran a few of these in the past and I think it would be fun to get away to one without "working"!

Thanks,
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I'd like info on wisconsin also, please. this looks like sooo much fun!
steph
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking

I have the information for the Wisconsin Scrapbooking Retreats. Sorry it has taken so long.

Magnolia Ridge Hideaway
Crafters Retreat
Wisconsin Dells, WI
WWW.bloomingescapes.com
phone: 608 576 3623

ALSO:The Craftin Cabin by the lake
Located in Edgerton, WI on Lake Koshkonong
www.craftincabin.com
[email protected]
608 279 8231
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 05:49 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I think I'm spoiled with the yearly crafting retreat that the ladies of my church (and open to others as space is available) have every winter. We go to a camp from Friday afternoon-Sunday afternoon, have bunk bed sleeping and table space to craft 24/7 for--drumroll--$40. And that includes brunch Sat. and Sun. prepared by the camp staff. Friday dinner is pizza ordered in, which we all chip in for, and Saturday dinner is made by ourselves as well. The previous year the camp didn't do any meals for us and we each had a meal assigned to help provide, and I think our cost was $25 for the whole weekend.

I hope our prices never go near $100, or I wouldn't be able to go...
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2006, 06:58 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Magnolia Ridge Hideaway, that is near the Dells in Wisconsin is having a special in Sept and Oct.....but I think it is approx. $125.....
My understanding is though, you basically do nothing, but scrap or stamp, or take bubble baths! Food, beverages, always available and all included....etc...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Amber

I've been to The Bloomin Inn before and it's very nice. Quite a drive from Calgary though and I went in May so at least the weather was OK for me. It was $165 or $170 for the weekend - can't remember exactly. It was very nice and the people or run it are very friendly. I know that when I was asking them in May what their schedule was like they couldn't accommodate any groups for likely at least a year. She runs 44 retreats per year and she's pretty booked up. I only got in quickly cause I went by myself and they have a single room that doesn't usually get booked.

Are you just looking for a place for you guys to go for the weekend? If you want to just simply attend a scrapbooking retreat I will be operating them 45 min NE of Calgary starting in November. That's my new business as I found that there just wasn't enough of it happening in the Calgary area.

You can PM me for more details if you are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

I would think it would depend on how many are going, does everybody know each other, and how much you want to do yourselves.
I got one of our timeshare weeks last Feb and what started out as 6-8 ended up as 4. We split the cost of the timeshare, and each brought snacks and drinks. We decided ahead of time what our meals would be and each brought something, easy of course - one pot meals, bagged salad, and veggies.

Once we got there we moved all the furniture to against the walls and set up our tables. The place was big enough that we could leave everything out and not have any problems eating, watching tv, whatever. We also have a counter bar where we set up our sizzix, xyron, etc.

We did have one meal out, and we took a class at a local scrap/stamp store. But we didn't have to do that. We could have stayed for a month will all the food and supplies we brought. Had a great time and will probably do it again this Feb.

Jac-ee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 04:20 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

A couple of years ago 4 of us shared a time share unit for a long weekend. We all provided food, drinks and transportation. We ordered out pizza one night, but cooked the rest of the time. We used a crock pot and other easy to fix meals. We got lots of work done, had a ton of fun and got very little sleep.

Last year we went again, this time the families came along. We left the men to watch football and watch the kids, while us women did our scrapbooks. Again we shared the meals. We had four units, all connected. We saved one living room and dining room for crafting, one for eating. It was a blast and we hope to do it again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Just thought I would update.......

I have booked my venue and have 15 confirmed so far......first deposits are due by Nov. 1st so they are starting to come in now. It will be 2 nights and basically 2 full days of doing whatever the ladies would like. I have my massage therapist coming out to give 1/2 hour massages for an additional fee and my cousin(already one of my guests) is going to paint cute designs on the ladies toes if they want. She started a little home-biz called Delightful Digits and paints the CUTEST little things on your toes (she was an Art teacher before going on Mat leave last year).
I have decided to ues the Chef that is on-site as it will be easier to have all meals planned and taken care of......better for me AND my Mom. I might have her sit at the "sign-out" table and keep track of who is borrowing my stamp sets/tools/books etc.

I CAN'T wait to be able to finally work on some of my own projects for a change. Lately, my time is taken up with preparing items for a Craft fair in Nov. and deciding what projects I am going to do for my Stamper's Clubs and Marker Club.........ughh.....I feel like I just get my monthly meetings out of the way and I have to be thinking about the next one. LOL so much for getting into this for the great deals on Scrapbooking supplies.....they don't tell you that the job doesn't come with more TIME to do everything....hahah

Thanks for all your input ladies....it was a great help!! Hope you all have fun on your retreats....I would love to hear how they went.

Reply With Quote Likes