Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-01-2005, 02:47 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrapbook Questions

Okay, so this is totally new to me. I've done single pages but....

I just got a 6 x 6 book today with my free hostess benefits. My question is, do you do all the pages in the same color theme with the same stamp sets? Do you stay with the color theme, but use different stamps? Can you change colors? Do you change colors? I don't want a book that looks bad and, seriously, I'm completely lost.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I'm doing a two-page layout, I try to keep to the same color scheme and theme. If I'm doing an individual page, then you can do whatever you want. There's no right or wrong...it's all a matter of personal preference. You can do a themed album (like a baby book or all about a trip to Disneyland or something) or you can do a non-themed album (I do albums by the year). The only rule is to have fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Novell
The only rule is to have fun!!!!
Oh, then I am already in trouble because I'm more stressed than thinking of this as fun. I thought going digital was the answer, but I missed the real thing.

Curious what others do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

It depends on what I'm doing. For sure, keep the same theme across a 2 page spread if you can (same stamps or same types of colors). When I'm doing a themed book (like my wedding album or a gift album), I use 3 or 4 colors to tie everything together. My favorite thing to do with a 6x6 is make a page for every month of the year. Then, as the year goes on, I print my favorite digital pic from each month and add it to the proper page. If I have too many favorite pics, I make a second page. For this type of book, I chose a few stamp sets and a few colors that I tried to keep to. But I did allow myself to deviate from the colors if they just didn't look good for the season I was working with... :-)

Keep trying!

Stampin' Up! demonstrator with a website!

What Can Lightbulb Do For You?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid I'm not much help, cause I just go where the wind blows! I love 6x6 albums! I tend to do whatever strikes my fancy and whatever works with my pictures! In a double page spread, though, I do make sure that they do look like a unit rather than two stand alones.

Haven't tried a themed album, but if I did, I'd likely stick to at least a color family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM   #6  
The Digi-Freak

I did one album (of my dad's 50th birthday, a gift to him) in the same color scheme. Other than that, it's whatever matches the kids' clothing ;)

Have fun, that's definitely the key!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 03:59 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I think they are adorable when you do the same color scheme. I have a friend who does this for baby shower gifts, and they are beautiful! However, I've never understood the importance of a two page spread. Don't get me wrong, I love two page spreads, but I think it looks just fine to have two different pages opposite each other. Just remember why we are scrapbooking...so we can pass on our memories to our family and their families. It's a gift of love whether your entire album follows the same color scheme or not. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Default Scrappers Rules....

Finally...a forum question that I can truly answer and feel that I know what I'm talking about! lololol

Okay...here is my "general rule...." Do all of your photos "look alike?" Probably not! Then neither should your pages! Each pages should be a reflection of the mood of two things: 1) the subject/s of the photo/s; and 2) the artist creating the page.

Really, honestly, and truly: do *not* stress about how your pages should look! When you get a new stamp set and are creating cards, I'll bet that you don't stress that they should all look the same, do you? It should be the same with scrapping...now, you just have a larger "palette."

Because actual photographs will take up some of your space (as will journaling) you will feel a bit constrained at first. Don't feel *at all* ashamed to do what most scrappers already do: **SCRAPLIFT**!! One of the biggest differences between scrapping and card making is that those who make cards share for the sense of accomplishment: coming up with a new, unique idea concept, layout, or technique before someone else. With scrappers, I've found it's something completely different: a layout or color design that is submitted for publication is then open for CASEing to the masses...and it's a badge of honor! Strangest thing, since many of us have found that the two crafts overlap and make submissions in both arenas...

Don't feel stress about this...just sit down, find some "scrap-worthy" photos (READ: not *every* photo deserves to be scrapped!) and let them take hold of your creative senses. And if you get frustrated, walk away and come back with fresh eyes. HTH ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks so much!! I think since I have soooooooooooooooooooooo many Sea World pics, I'll do a theme and stick to bold brights for my first album. It makes sense to me in a way. I'm still a little confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:27 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Just a note for use as a demo: The book that I take to workshops has different examples of scrapping techniques and 6x6 pages that i have previously"demoed". This really helps customers see what they can a)do with a 6x6 album and b) do with the 6x6 make and take we have just completed.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:30 AM   #11  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kymbers I was just going to suggest sticking with a color family and going from there.
I have a general (before Cam came along) BB I take to my workshops in my basket done with Bold Brights and coordinating designer papers-almost all of them start with a 6x6 square with a matted 5x5" square of Designer paper, and then stamped embellishments. It is a VERY simple layout we did at my upline's house.

I have a summer one I designed for a stamp camp that uses Splash and Pool Party paper, and all Soft Subtles, then stamped embellishments around. Again using 6x6 and then a 5x5 square of designer paper with stamped embellishments-it was easily reproduced by the peopel who made it. I am *finally* starting to feel more adventurous with my brag book pages, but the 1st 2 I did were VERY simple and all had the same basiclayout so it looked uniform throughout the book.

*sigh* one day my brag books will look like Jenn's

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 05:40 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I think this depends on each person and their style!
I try and keep my 2 page spread the same other than that who knows??? It depends on the colors in the pictures! I do try and stay with a color family like BB through out the album!
It's just to much fun!!!
Can't wait to see your pages!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 06:28 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

I am new with this scrapbooking thing.

I am doing it because I love pictures. My Grandfather had so many pictures and he had them all organized and labled in albums, it is because of him I love pictures.

My first album was 8 1/2 x 11, it was given to me by my sister. It was spiral bound and had a red cover. I didn't know what to do with it, finally I decided to do our christmas pictures in it. I usually pick a few papers, about 4 and use them for the whole christmas for that year, and I try to keep my stamps used also the same and them pick new stamps and papers for the next year.

I am now doing my first 6x6 album. It is going to be a gift to my sister and has a theme her and my sons. So far I have been doing my pages as 2 cooridinating pages, but that is just by chance I think it would be fine if side by side pages were different. I am letting it be decided by the pictures.

I am also doing the Scrapbook challange that started 2 weeks ago. It is like the card sketch challenges but for scrapbooks. This has been helpful in giving me a layout plan.

Here are links to my first 4 pages maybe looking at them will get your ideas going. I love stamping on my scrapbooking pages it is my favorite way to embellish my pages.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I think the problem is in believing that card making and scrap booking are completely different. In fact, they are very similar, especially at the 6x6 size. Instead of using a stamped image as the focal point in a scrapbook, it is a picture. Do the background and embellishments just as if you were making a card.

And just plain COPY other people for a while. That is how I learned both the art of card making and scrapbooking. I look at magazines; I cruise the gallery here and on scrapjazz.com and I let my photoes tell me what they need.

The colors if the pages come right out of the photoes. I think, "Oh look my son is wearing bliss blue. What goes well with bliss blue?" and I go from there.

Finally, if you are really stuck, get a cute stamp set to do the album with that you might normally not have. If you're doing sea world, buy some cute fishy stamps. This way you will HAVE to work on it to justify the cost of the stamps, which you secretly wanted anyway but couldn't think of a reason to buy. HMMM. I think I've just talked myself into that toy box set....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

My upline has had several 6 x 6 brag book workshops and gave us a piece of advice that I find really useful when journaling in a small book. Use the first page to introduce the story/theme, maybe midway through add the middle of the story and then use the last page for the happy ending. This way you have more room for pics. and embellishments. Just a thought. Suzanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Default SB Clarity

I need to clarify a little of my own scrapping style here ('cuz I got a few PMs and there seems to be some interest...go figure!)

I have, at any given time, at least five albums going. I have *ADS*...Attention Deficit Scrapping issues, okay? I have my Heritage Album, my Family Album, my Demo Album, my 6x6 Demo Album, and any one that I could be doing for a client. Add right now: a 6x6 for each son...one of whom is calling his "The Zaren Handbook" and is quoting a list of rules to be added to each page. But I digress...

Anyhow, learning about scrapping is easy: it's the same as making cards. Don't think that you need to re-invent the wheel! Scraplift...follow easy templates...swap...skill to branch out and do your own thing will come in time, just as Britta said. You probably didn't start out making knock out cards, right? (Hey, after 8 years, I'm **still** not, what does that say.... :oops: ) The most important thing is that you commit those memories to paper before you forget all of *the little things* that made the experience memorable in the first place.

In my NSHO, there are two types of scrapping: The first I call ARC - Anal-Retentive Chronological...this is the type where the birthday party from last week cannot be scrapped because we are still working on the pizza party from Jane's cousin's son (who has since moved to Brazil) from two years ago, and we can't remember much about it, but darn it, it *has* to go in that book! (Not to mention, there are 1,582 other photos that must be scrapped before we can get to last week's birthday party. The second I call Color-Mood scrapping. You take your photos, lay them out on the table, and start working based upon what mood you are in at that given time. For example: The night DH told me that the thong to be used in a card I'm still not done with was "...way too small..." for my apparently *huge* frame, I scrapbooked, but not in red. I was *way* too angry and red would have just fueled the flames. Instead, I worked with colors that tend to soothe me: green, beige, pale buff. Other days, I've got a case of the blues, and I don't want to do anything about it: I work in blue.

Well, I think I may be rambling now, but I've answered the two inquiries I've gotten.... HTH someone... ~K
Reply With Quote Likes