Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:13 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrap room questions

Hey Ladies - just looking for tips and advice

We are planning a move, and in our new house we will renovate the garage to increase the living space. I will get to have SOME of the space for a much needed craft room. At this point in the design process, it looks like I should be able to designate a 12' x 12' room to ME! My priority in designing the space is that I get a separate room with a door to close off the mess! 12 x 12 is bigger than I have now, but I know it is still not a huge space, and I have a lot of crap. One of the things that make my current space such a challenge is that I really have no walls (one is window, one is pocket door, and it is a dining area so only 3 to start with...anyway, I know haveing wall space to hang shelves and other storage will be very helpful.

What are your VERY best suggestions for maximizing a small space, for great organization and just making the best use of the space. What do you love MOST about your craft room that you think everyone should have? I am starting from scratch! Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Lightbulb

We designed my scrapbook/stamp area from scratch and built the cabinets for ourselves. Unfortunately, this was BEFORE I got into SU, so I have rapidly outgrown it :( That said, I still absolutely LOVE that when we were building my crafting area, we installed a flat work surface (like a computer keyboard drawer), except that it's 3 feet wide. It lets me have almost double my crafting space, but can be closed with the majority of my mess still on it. This is really helpful since I have 2 young children and have to put projects "away" at a moment's notice. This way I also don't have to get everything back out again when I'm ready to continue working
HTH
M
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I love my desk. I have an extra bedroom of generous size available for my craft room. Given all the space available I would say 75% of my stamping stuff is stored on and in the desk (with the exception of stamp sets and 81/2 x 11 paper). By knowing your supplies and prefered stamping products I would customize a built in or modular unit designed to get your organized and keep things at your findertips then have a wall of stamps in a bookshelf and room for bulk supplies like adhesives, comp books, sewing machine, and anything else.
Here's a link to my desk. Enjoy your new space, it's very exciting!
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Oh lucky you! How exciting! I must say that i LOVE my counter top/cabinets - i prefer to stand while working. I have about a 12x8' space that has an L shaped counter w/2 spaces to sit at with counter stools, then a corner cabinet and 2 end cabinets for support, cost us less than $1000 for that.

The room I have is part of a garage converted to a granny unit (the rest of the space is bedroom/bath/living rm and kitchenette so i could just live there if my DH would let me!) and i was able to salvage a custom closet/shelving unit and move it from the bedroom to the "craft room" and secure it to the wall. The reason i love this so much is that there are 4 drawers that are PERFECTLY sized to store my stamps vertically. I just open a drawer and find what i need. And the rest is shelving for all the rest of my stuff... so i agree w/SeattleStamper- definitely look into the custom modular shelving/closets idea. You can find it all at a big home improvement store.... Have a blast!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Funny thing...I just got an email from CK with an article all about this very topic! Here's the link http://www.creatingkeepsakes.com/mag...dex_field=1838 HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2006, 01:29 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

how FUN for you! congrats and good luck organizing!!!!

I have my stuff all over my house. I like to be near my family, so I haul things so I can create where they are (but I don't like to store in the living room, so I haul and am OK with that). LOL!

~Jody
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 07:56 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

I have a wooden cassette storage rack (holds 100) mounted on the wall over my workspace. It is perfect for storing and organizing your ink pads. And it is so nice to have them right there in front of me so I can just grab a color when I need it and pop it back in when I am through with it. Mine has 5 rows, so each color family gets its own row, and then the 5th row gets the in colors, neutrals and any misc pads I have (versamark, stazon, etc). There is a photo in my gallery if you want to see it.
I also have a piece of peg board in a large frame (think 20x24 size) hung on the wall. I use it to hold scissors, rulers, punches, etc. I had planned to use it to hold my ribbon, but the cat thought it was a toy for her! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kristine,

My best advice is to maximize wall space! In my old stamp space we installed standards on the walls -- that way I could move shelves easily, and add when necessary. Peg board is a great way to use wall space, too. For punch storage, DH has use a board and has installed metal straping to the board. My punches slip over the straps -- got that idea here. I use plastic gutter installed on the side of a bookcase to store my ribbon, and I have an ink storage unit on the wall, too. Also, to store small bits and pieces, along with sponges and daubers for each SU! color, I bought units at Home Depot that are meant for storing nails, screws, etc.

Good luck! And have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 08:23 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Melissa, do you have a picture you could post of your punch storage - I need the visual.

I too am moving soon and get to convert a spare room into a craft room! I'm soooo excited! So, this thread is of great interest to me. Keep the suggestions coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

One other thing I'd recomend is to start thinking of paint colors. I know this seems obvious but I was so excited to get into my new room I just dove in and set up shop. I knew I wanted to paint but stamping was a higher priority.

The problem was in setting up my space and thinking about all the things we've been discussing I had stuff all over the walls! It was a pain to take it all down and paint and I wish someone would have reminded me paint should come first :oops:

I love the sunny shade of Barely Banana I chose. It looks sunny in there even on gray rainy days in Seattle like today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats on your new space! I have a room to myself also. I have the Ikea dvd holders for ink storage that mounts to the wall. That is an awsome space saver. I also have 4 44inch sections of plastic gutters on my walls. I keep my ribbon and large punches stored in there. I also keep tools like my wheel guide and perfect layers and ATG gun proped up in there where I can see them and reach as needeed. I also used to quilt and have a cutting table that my inlaws gave me for Christmas one year in my stamp space. It has a deep table space so I have all my paper lined up in magazine holders from office depot and put all my paper cutters along the front. This table is a great hight for standing while I cut. I like to stand to cut and sit to stamp. I am currently not happy with my stamping/ desk surface (a plastic folding table) so I plan to replace that soon. I also have a large bakers rack that I got from Sams Club (have also seen at IKEA), This is very handy and has the metal slats instead of solid shelves so dust doesn't seem to be a huge problem. Areas that need a solid surface to hold smaller items I just put cardboard down. good luck designing your room it can be very exciting. I have been working on making mine more user friendly for several months. A very fun and sometimes overwhelming task. Have Fun!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilorangemouse
Melissa, do you have a picture you could post of your punch storage - I need the visual.
I don't, but someone does...

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

kelwil's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Lots of lighting, shelving, and display space. Lots of electrical outlets. Easy to clean flooring.
We just renovated the ugliest room in our house into my favourite room. It's not finished, the trim is still needing a few touches. But I have been in it for a few months and it's great. Bright, spacious and so big! I had a room almost as large but it was an odd shape, too many doors to other rooms, no wall space really. My new room is about 12 x 22 feet.
We did everything ourselves. The tile was my idea, got the design idea from a Scrapbooks Etc. mag. only they used vinyl tiles which are great but not very practical for us. Ceramic is easier to install and the upkeep is easier.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Hey everyone- your ideas sound so great- why don't we all post pics of our prized rooms? I'm such a nosy nellie and wanna see!!
Reply With Quote Likes