Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Say it ain't so!

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask this question since none of us would be here if we didn't enjoy stamping and/or scrapbooking, but...

Is it true that papercrafting as a hobby is waning?

I read somewhere recently that papercrafting as a hobby is decreasing in popularity. I'm presuming that popularity is measured in sales, yes?

Yet, with all of the options available to us, that doesn't seem right - there are sooo many businesses selling to papercrafters. But maybe it is correct. Is it possible that papercrafters are moving from purchasing at brick-and-mortar to shopping online instead? Could this explain the impression that papercrafting is on a downslide?

So, what's the scoop, where's our beloved hobby going?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe many are well stocked

Perhaps many of us are so well stocked, we can coast a long time without ordering anything.

One thing about on-line stores, even though I live in Canada, they are much cheaper, usually have things in stock and are very prompt with shipping and answer questions as well.

Many of the on-line stores you can phone and they are most friendly and are more than willing to go the extra mile.

A lot of the brick and mortar stores have horrendous overhead, including taxes, heat, electricity, personnel and it is not easy to compete with the online stores.

The recent recession has probably convinced many paper crafters that they should use up their current stock first before spending $$$ on more and maybe some have just run out of room to store it all.

Also, many of the brick and mortar stores are competing with the home party businesses such as SU. TAC, you name them. This is a party type atmosphere at someone's home with refreshments and a very friendly and comfortable place to order goods.

The same thing has happened to the figurine market. Think Royal Doulton.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Every hobby has peaks and valleys in popularity. I was crocheting back in the days when it was kind of unusual to see someone under the age of 60 with a hook and thread (I'm not very good at following trends) and I can't fathom that I won't still get satisfaction from playing with paper, scissors and glue long after it's no longer "cool" do so.

Quote:

The recent recession has probably convinced many paper crafters that they should use up their current stock first before spending $$$ on more and maybe some have just run out of room to store it all.
Also this I could go for years without needing to make another purchase - if you use the true definition of "need" instead of the one I operate under.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have been wondering the same thing myself. Can you tell me where you might have read that?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Interesting thread. I don't see things slowing down here. I do 90% of my shopping at my lss. The store has been open for 15 years and the owner keeps up with all of the trends and her prices are rock bottom. Class prices are reasonable, therefore the students still have $$ left to buy product after class. I think the only companies I buy online from are those that don't sell wholesale. If they did, I would buy their product locally. I do pay sales tax when I shop locally, but I don't pay shipping so I guess it all evens out.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I did some research and here is what I found:

Ngaire Bartlam - "Top Ten" sub-editor for Scrapbook Creations magazine, can be found at her blog here.

"I think 2009 will be a year of restraint so far as new product goes.. in keeping with the general air of cutting back. I think also crafters and artists will be embracing the "reuse, recycle, renew" ideals and finding new ways to use what they already have. Hand in hand with this, I think there will be more products created from recycled materials, and more multi use tools and products. I see lots more use of "small outlay big result " products: paints, inks, stencils, stamps etc.. things that can be used again and again. Nature will continue to be a huge inspiration for the arts in general.. and I personally would LOVE to see an increase in art that is easy going, non conforming and from the heart. There will also be a big market in fabrics and felts and handmade/crafted. I would like to believe that this year will be full of fabulous and new ideas grown from artists who look around them to what they already have, and how that can be transformed, for direction and inspiration."

Anna Bowkis: Contributor, The Scrapbook Magazine, DT member Bad Girls Kits, DT member Pencil Lines

"My prediction for 2009 is HYBRID scrapbooking. With the recession crossing to all parts of the world, tightening our belts is something even us scrapbookers are going to have to do now! Hybrid scrapbooking is a great solution to saving some pennies. There are so many great digital websites out there, and even the greats are doing it too; Ali Edwards has some digital elements available at Designer Digitals to purchase and download. If you love to doodle, check out UK designer Kate Hadfield over at Lilypad.com.

My 2nd prediction is REDUCE REUSE RECYCLE The credit crunch is hitting us all now. Don�t throw away your packaging, look at it, and REDUCE< REUSE< RECYCLE. Prima�s packaging is so pretty to reuse, and the flower packaging has some great cut out designs, great for making tags or using as a stencil!. Plastic packaging makes the perfect embellishments when punched, embossed and stamped. Pizza boxes, do not throw away. Tear, paint and stamp that cardboard!"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Here is a link to the trends from scrapbook update

http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2009/...-scrapbooking/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not if the Great American Scrapbook Convention in Dallas was an indication. They had to add another whole day for scrapping! The crowds were ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Back in the 80's I was into ceramics. Almost all of those stores have closed and I have a shed full of supplies! I have been in paper crafting for at least 15 years and will never live long enough to scrap all my photos!!!!
Most of our local stores have closed as well other than one that works very hard to keep the latest and greatest supplies in stock. You can't fall down in there with the shoppers. Our local coventions are packed as well. I have resorted to doing a lot of on line shopping too. I agree with other posts-I have enough to last me for years but I'm always sure there is something out there that I can't live without!
T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From where I am standing I would not give up this hobby because I enjoy it very much, more so than the others I have done in the past. My scrapbooks are important to me and I will continue to work on them. /The card making is just good ol fun and enjoying. Now as for the $$$ side of things we are at a wood products convention here in New Orleans and it is just dead. There are half of the booths from two years ago and my hubby said there were not many people walking around. We are from Canada and it is pretty scarey out there for alot of people. So I would seriously think that I have to be careful with what I am buying for the next while and really use up what I have so yes, retailers may be seeing a little less /$$$ from me for the time being. But where there is a will there is a way and I dropped a load off at my stamp store for their garage sale and I can hopefully have a large credit to get some new stuff or stock up on adhesive, glitter and inks to keep me happy for a bit.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well according to the CHA sneak Peak. It doesn't seem to be letting up.

http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2009/...9-sneak-peeks/

I will agree, that there are many ups and downs of any Trend.

But I think as long as we keep doing what we love it will stay around.

Back about 10 years ago I was into beading......And now it's coming back again.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think maybe some are opting to order on the computer instead of heading out to the stores for various reasons. It is sad to see any brick and mortar store close. Both online and brick and mortar stores have lots to offer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I have talked to those who have closed and those who remain open. First, the big box stores are easy and have coupons so they get a lot of the free standing business patrons. Second, the hours and hard labor is just not as profitable for some. The ones I know staying in business--this is a second income and they love the retail aspects. If you go into a business thinking that you will make a million dollars overnight, it is just not realistic. If you do open a store and break even the first year with no income, you have done great. The profit is not in the first few years. And, my gosh what rent went up to was ridiculous.

Can you tell I looked into opening one???? Rents are coming down and I may still do it. It was not the product, it was the building.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I am no industry expert, but I am a dedicated crafter and needleworker in many areas. I do think that scrapbooking and papercrafting have peaked but that doesn't mean they will go away, just that some of the companies will disappear, stores will close and papercrafters will have to look farther for what they want/need.

I made my first scrapbook at age 8 in 1960; learned to crochet when I was 10; started sewing my own clothes in my late teens; started cross stitch at 30; learned tatting, lace making and quilting in my 40s; came back to scrapbooking in a big way in my late 40s; started stamping a lot a few years ago. I still have all my supplies for all my hobbies (yes, my house is bursting at the seams, lol!) and still play with and do most of the above (my arthritic fingers and old eyes don't much like bobbin lace anymore).

I've seen all these activities cycle over the years. There have been stretches of time when lots of stores for each activity were easy to find and stretches when the materials were available but took a lot more effort to locate. Knitting and crochet had a big comeback only a few years ago with the introduction of some fantastic and fun new kinds of yarns, but now things are settling back to normal. Cross stitch and other types of embroidery were huge 10-15 years ago but have fallen dramatically in popularity.

The businesses involved need to be ready for this reality. Some of them, sadly, will not survive no matter how good they are. There are no local scrapbooking stores near me- the closest is an hour away and I live in a BIG city. There were 6 good cross stitch shops less than an hour from me 10 years ago; today 2 of them are still open. Quilt shops are harder to find.

The Internet is saving some of these activities for us in a big way. The best of the Internet businesses will survive, meaning our supplies will still be available, just not as readily.

Those of us who love papercrafting need not fear that we will not be able to continue with our hobby. (Of course, as already pointed out, we could probably all continue for the rest of our lives with just new adhesives, lol!) However, based on the changing (reducing) size of the areas in the box stores being given over to papercrafting, the amount of shelf space allotted in multi-purpose stores, and the closing of dedicated stores, I do agree that papercrafting has peaked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I have talked to those who have closed and those who remain open. First, the big box stores are easy and have coupons so they get a lot of the free standing business patrons. Second, the hours and hard labor is just not as profitable for some. The ones I know staying in business--this is a second income and they love the retail aspects. If you go into a business thinking that you will make a million dollars overnight, it is just not realistic. If you do open a store and break even the first year with no income, you have done great. The profit is not in the first few years. And, my gosh what rent went up to was ridiculous.

Can you tell I looked into opening one???? Rents are coming down and I may still do it. It was not the product, it was the building.
You should have heard Trump on TODAY show a few weeks ago when he was interviewed and he said that he has a couple of friends he graduated business school with. The class Valedictorian went into retail and although is quite comfortable hasn't really made huge amounts of money. An average guy in their class went into oil. And he has made huge amounts. Trump said that you will never be hugely rich if all you do is retail no matter what size your business. I think he is right. And of course what are most of us attracted to? Retail! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Paper and crafting trade magazines have been talking about the decline of paper crafting for the past several years. I think in general the hobby may have seen a strong surge in the early 2000s, but I don't think that means it's going to vanish anytime soon. While it's sad to see businesses close it can sometimes be a good thing. The talented people from the folded businesses often find positions for other companies and end up making the industry better. Just because there are fewer companies competing for our hobby dollars does not mean the industry is dying. It simply means it is concentrating and bracing itself to come out stronger and more successful on the next upswing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChloeGMView Post
I'm always sure there is something out there that I can't live without!
Oh, I know I CAN live without new stuff, I just don't know why I'd want to! snicker....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
I think maybe some are opting to order on the computer instead of heading out to the stores for various reasons. It is sad to see any brick and mortar store close. Both online and brick and mortar stores have lots to offer.
Thats what I was thinking. Besides, stores like JoAnns, etc, seem to carry the same thing day after day with only a couple of product changes a couple times a year. But online ones like Gina K.,Unity, PTI, etc, come out with fabulous new stuff all of the time! I know that for myself, there are only two actual stores near me that are not a box store. SO I do most of my shopping thru SU as a demo and a lot online. But things do slow down and then surge back up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking of easing up on the paper crafting thing and turning to something different (and cheaper). Maybe I'm trendy and didn't know it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to beecreative

I won't give it up. Never, never, no, no!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

One of our major mom and pop scrapbooking stores here is closing. First she moved down a few stores in the strip mall to a smaller store. She just finished moving and downsizing and realized she is done with it all. She is trying to sell and move out of state. She is trying to sell for 300K. That is for the products and good will she does not own the building. Personally I think that is extremely high price for not owning the building. You can buy your own inventory for a lot less than that.

As a business owner myself (not in the scrapbooking industry) first thing I would never do is rent. I started out with the first building I could afford to buy and then built up my business. Nobody can ever raise my rent. I am in control and I will always have the building to sell or rent out.

I know many of my friends are cutting back on supplies because as many of us starting out we "had" to have one of everything. Now sitting back looking at our stash we are more cautious to what we do purchase because let's face it, our scraprooms can only hold so much. We were buying faster than we could use it.

I see the interest still there but I see everyone I know cutting back for various reasons. I don't see this industry going away anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only speak for myself, but I couldn't imagine suddenly stopping my papercrafting hobby. I have so many supplies, how could I stop?

If I had to go back to work full time though, that would definitely affect my hobby.

I personally prefer shopping locally. I only shop online when looking for something retired or hard to find. I love seeing the products in person. Often, I change my mind once I see it in person. I either love it more, like it less, or see something that didn't catch my eye online.

I hope that papercrafting is here to stay! I love it all!

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I have read with interest the different responses to this question.

I am never ever ever giving up my stamps. I make a joke that they will have to bury me with a few!

Having said that, I think we are seeing a bit of a circle happening here (Australia). Stamping ruled for quite a few years, evidenced by shows one attended. Then scrapbooking made a very big entrance and it seemed to take over for a few years. I just attended another show in Brisbane last week. Stamping was really well featured again there (happy I am).

I have seen shops come and go. I think we are looking at what looks like a glut of vendors. The sheer number of shops (be them online, home or bricks and mortar) are having trouble servicing the number of artists out there, I think. I also wonder if the digital stuff now sold for next to nothing is having an impact on the designers and manufacturers of the real deal.

For those of us who have been stamping for a very long time....we have heaps of stuff...all our essentials...we do not need to buy as frenzied as we did when starting out. At this point, I replace used items, check out new stuff and am fairly discriminate in the buying stakes...not the best shopper from a vendor's point of view!

I certainly hope my art will not wane, but if it does I will still be stamping. I was a nigel no friends when I first started ( only fabric was of interest to any and everyone else in my area way back then)...so I can live with that if it happens again.

Long live rubber stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I aint stopping anytime soon
I love this hobby.
I do work fulltime, but any spare time, i'm in my little section!
I dont buy as much as when I started, first because hubby was laidoff, but also because I have alot. Trying to really be good in using what i have ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

one thing i've started doing with some of my stamping buddies is splitting stuff, like packs of designer paper, packages of buttons, flower soft, etc. i get to have all the toys, and it costs half as much! i could seriously probably not spend a dime for years, and not run out of supplies, but it's SO much fun to get new toys! (and for me, paper IS a toy!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will never stop stamping/scrapbooking either. I love it to much.
One of the LSS's here was only catering to scrapbookers a while ago. The owner kept telling me she isn't sure how much longer she can stay in business. I I kept telling her to start selling stamps and cater to stamper also. She finally took that advice and now she is doing better. She also started going to CHA and ordering new fun products and that also helped her. Her business has grown since then by quite a bit as she says.
We also have a stamp LSS on the other end of town and they are doing well. They sell so many lines of stamps. There business also grew as they recently had to expand and move into a larger store. So around here it is actually going up even in these hard times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I've been thinking of easing up on the paper crafting thing and turning to something different (and cheaper). Maybe I'm trendy and didn't know it?

NOOOOOOOO! Joan, what would I do without you and Dear Paperlicious?????:(:(:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:14 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
For those of us who have been stamping for a very long time....we have heaps of stuff...all our essentials...we do not need to buy as frenzied as we did when starting out. At this point, I replace used items, check out new stuff and am fairly discriminate in the buying stakes...not the best shopper from a vendor's point of view!

Long live rubber stamping!
What she said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #29  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by beecreativeView Post
I won't give it up. Never, never, no, no!
Amen to that !! Neither will I ever give it up, no way, no how !!!!!!!

I have dabbled in many different crafts over the course of my lifetime thus far, and as much as I loved some of them, they all still pale in comparison to stamping - they don't even come close to how much I ADORE stamping and ink and paper and ribbon and all the embellishments and swaps and on and on and on........I am so thankful for the day about 7 years ago when I (clueless) picked up a few rubber stamps and an ink pad at Wal-Mart just out of curiosity and wowser !!!!!! A whole new world opened up to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see myself ever stopping with paper crafts! I LOVE it...it's my therapy! I groan about working full-time as it doesn't allow as much stamping, but on the other hand, I'm fortunate that my nursing job will likely always be there and the income allows me to shop both online and locally. SCS has such a huge memberhip that I hope this community and website never fades away! I would be sooooo sad!

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
LOL! Every hobby that I personally have ever had an actual interest in has never seemed to be significantly less expensive than stamping. :p (Porcelain painting, jewelry making, quilting, etc.)

In the end, 14 years ago, it came down to which of them captivated me the most and I never seemed to get tired of or bored with.

Anyway, as far as trends go--everything cycles; paper crafting had a huge upsurge, and now it's on the downswing. But, it'll work it's way back up again, just like everything does.

I'm *really* glad I never ditched my decorative scissors when those became unfashionable in paper crafting. *chuckle* ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I love my paper and stamps! It doesn't matter to me if it is an "in" hobby or not. The internet allows for lots of niche markets, so even if the big box stores don't continue to carry supplies, there will be an outlet somewhere that does. And besides, with all the buying I've done over the last few years, I can continue to craft for years without another purchase of paper, ribbon, or stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I still continue every hobby I have ever started... thankfully not TOO many of them! I will continue to stamp/scrapbook/make cards because I enjoy it. I also love to cross stitch and would like to learn to make bobbin lace (I got a kit, but apparently need lessons as I can't figure it out on my own!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

My love of paper goes back over 50 years! In my first Brownie Scout meeting, we traced a real leaf on colored construction paper, cut it out, and glued it onto a sheet of a different color. I still remember it because I thought it was the most fantastic thing ever!! My paper fetish expanded to fabric, and those two loves will be with me forever.

Trends and fads in crafting are only a problem insofar as they limit our supplies. And variety will be lost as a craft trends downward. As many others have confessed too, I have an obscene amount of supplies and tools. And I like it that way! I just think of it as insurance against the supply ever dwindling.

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

This is my outlet - my hobby - I can't imagine ever giving it up, nor can I imagine buying all my cards - I love to give/mail out cards! It's something that never goes out of style!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Julie...I chucked mine....scissors I mean.....dratty horrible things....The lining up for the next cut thing was a pain in the proverbial! I am so not regretting the parting of the ways there!

I've had a brainwave....Hubby, even though he actually moans and groans when he ventures into my dungeon (his affectionate nickname for my art room...funny really coz we don't have cellars in Australia), would absolutely be horrified if I decided to give my hobby up! Since I don't want in on that diatribe, guess I better keep stamping! Such a hard decision! (all tongue in cheek , people....I would never give it up...it is in my blood and has been for far too long!)

m
Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
LOL! Every hobby that I personally have ever had an actual interest in has never seemed to be significantly less expensive than stamping. :p (Porcelain painting, jewelry making, quilting, etc.)

In the end, 14 years ago, it came down to which of them captivated me the most and I never seemed to get tired of or bored with.

Anyway, as far as trends go--everything cycles; paper crafting had a huge upsurge, and now it's on the downswing. But, it'll work it's way back up again, just like everything does.

I'm *really* glad I never ditched my decorative scissors when those became unfashionable in paper crafting. *chuckle* ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Oh Julie...I chucked mine....scissors I mean.....dratty horrible things....The lining up for the next cut thing was a pain in the proverbial! I am so not regretting the parting of the ways there!

I've had a brainwave....Hubby, even though he actually moans and groans when he ventures into my dungeon (his affectionate nickname for my art room...funny really coz we don't have cellars in Australia), would absolutely be horrified if I decided to give my hobby up! Since I don't want in on that diatribe, guess I better keep stamping! Such a hard decision! (all tongue in cheek , people....I would never give it up...it is in my blood and has been for far too long!)

m
Oh, M! you musta just got bad scissors. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
This is my outlet - my hobby - I can't imagine ever giving it up, nor can I imagine buying all my cards - I love to give/mail out cards! It's something that never goes out of style!
I think this is it for me too... I don't know if I will do less... I just do my cards and in fact I would like to do more and get started on scrapbooking - I have all the tools just need to work out all the hows etc... :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

I've wondered too. With not as much disposible income, I'm sure choices will be different for people. Obviously, people who are interested in paper crafting won't stop being interested; they simply might not have the extra money anymore.
An established scrapbooking store near me closed this month, so you never know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
I've wondered too. With not as much disposible income, I'm sure choices will be different for people. Obviously, people who are interested in paper crafting won't stop being interested; they simply might not have the extra money anymore.
An established scrapbooking store near me closed this month, so you never know...
I think you may have hit the nail on the head -

For the entrepeneur it may be time to move on, however for the hobbiest it is business as usual.

And truthfully there have been very few "new" things have have rocked my socks off, there have been a few fun things but nothing unique that I couldn't find another tool to achieve something similar.

I'm not a DP junkie because I have trouble using them however I do drool over them and new stamps....but I have more than enough to keep me going for a very long time even if I become "retro" :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes