Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reading the OP's story is one reason why I haven't purged more crafting supplies. I would rather donate them to a charity, school, etc. than deal with that.

It's not just yard sales where people buy to resell. Last summer, DH bought a used bicycle at a police auction. Well, he didn't realize that bike was WAY too tall for him. So we put it on craigslist. We paid $42 and we asked $45.

Within *minutes* of posting the notice on craigslist, we got a call from a guy who drove out immediately and offered us $15. ?? We said no. We heard him mumbling to his wife on the way out that "we'd never sell it at that price."

Two days later, we sold it for list price, to a woman whose boyfriend needed a bike. I am sure that the first guy was just going to resell it. :/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post

Use the 10% Rule (from Pricing Garage Sale Items and Other Helpful Garage Sale Tips)

"When you are pricing garage sale items, it is a good rule of thumb to price your items at about 10% to 20% of the original cost of the item. For example, if you are selling a hat that originally cost $15, you would price the hat between $1.50 and $3.00, or 10% to 20% of the original cost.
10% of the cost would be the $15 - 1.50 = $13.50 not the $1.5
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonwoldView Post
10% of the cost would be the $15 - 1.50 = $13.50 not the $1.5
I'm really tired and my brain is fried this evening but, I think you've got this backwards. 10% of $15 is $1.50 and that's what that article recommended selling it for. Wouldn't the $13.50 you mention be 90% of the original $15?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

I told a friend about the rummage and of the idea people may be buying things for pennies at rummage sales and selling them on e-Bay. She said yes , it is a big business. She told me she works with a woman who does this all the time. She and her husband go to yard/rummage sales and buy things for practically nothing and sell them on e-bay. She said they make a lot of money this way .
She said they also buy things at the Goodwill and resell them.
I guess I am behind the times with this one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #45  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I'm really tired and my brain is fried this evening but, I think you've got this backwards. 10% of $15 is $1.50 and that's what that article recommended selling it for. Wouldn't the $13.50 you mention be 90% of the original $15?

Yes, normally garage sales run around this rate. It's 10% of the original cost, not 10% off. ;)

Honestly that sounds like a good rule of thumb for me. If you're looking to get more money for supplies that you value more, there are other places that would help you sell them.

I probably would have offered the 3 punches for $10 too. In my opinion - $5 per punch at a garage sale is a bit steep. Considering that often Michaels offers them on sale, and then the coupons that they have - it really doesn't seem to fit the 'garage sale' priceline.

Now, each sale is different. The other day a lady was selling a bunch of stamps and I was happy to buy one for $2. The next week, I found another sale where all of her SU stamps were $.25 ea. I offered her $5 for the whole box (I maybe got about 5 free stamps - I didn't count) and she gladly accepted - happy to get rid of the load.

So it really depends on the seller and what they value the items at.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

I only remember two of the punches she had. So I just checked the price on one of them . All were $17.99 except one that had it at $15.28 .
So even If a person had a coupon for it at Michaels and it was $17.99 then they would have paid $10. 80 plus tax . There is one for $15.28 but you must pay shipping .

Martha Stewart Deep Edge Punch - Lattice Heart
To my thinking $5 was a good price .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

It does amaze me how cheap people can be and if it's a garage sale or rummage sale, they figure the people selling will take anything to get rid of the items. Many years ago we had a garage sale at my parent's house. My mother had a brand new pair of sneakers, price tag still on, tagged for 50 cents. A woman came over and said to my sister in law I'll give you 25 cents. Maddie said no and the woman began to argue with her. It was a matter of principal. 50 cents for brand new sneakers is not bad! Finally Maddie said to her, you can't have them at any price and the woman left. We had a garage sale here too years ago. It was the first and last one. Way too much work for way too little money, if you get any at all.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #48  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I only remember two of the punches she had. So I just checked the price on one of them . All were $17.99 except one that had it at $15.28 .
So even If a person had a coupon for it at Michaels and it was $17.99 then they would have paid $10. 80 plus tax . There is one for $15.28 but you must pay shipping .

Martha Stewart Deep Edge Punch - Lattice Heart
To my thinking $5 was a good price .
I agree - $5 is a good price. ^-^ And honestly I would pay it if it were ebay, craigslist, etc.

Maybe it's because my mom always taught me to be thrifty at garage sales, but I make a distinction between that, and other areas of business. :rolleyes:

Note - I don't buy things to resell them. I look for things that I can use for my crafting at affordable prices. (It can get a bit expensive...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #49  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Just as a curiosity, lets do a little experiment and see how different our perceptions are in what is a reasonable price. A common item a friend of mine seeks at garage sales and flea markets would be paperback books. She's an avid reader and devours books like crazy. What would you (anyone reading this post, nobody specific) think is a reasonable price for a paperback book in good condition?
My local library has a HUGE library sale every Spring and a small one in the Fall. They have books (ever changing) all year long for sale at all the libraries. Paperbacks, usually regardless are 25 cents, 50 cents at the big sale because it's more of a fundraiser for the libraries than the ongoing or smaller sales. All the used book stores around be typically charge 50% of the cover price unless the book is in questionable condition or they have too many of them. Rare books of course always are priced way above any regular price. I won't usually purchase a used paperback for more than 50% of the cover price (and usually only pay up to $1) unless it's one that I've searched for and can't locate or can only locate for a really high price. Then, I'll pay up to full price for a used paperback. Reminds me of discussions here about retired stamps - it all depends on how badly I (or someone else) want it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Very well put Maryrose. My storage space is valuable to me as well. As the yard sale goes on I become more willing to slash the prices so my ds and dh do not have too much work to do hauling off things I really don't want to come back inside. I don't mind people haggling just so they are not rude if I say no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I had a garage sale in April, and I did very well. I did price my craft items to go. Frankly, it's not doing me any good if it's being stored in a box in the basement. I felt that my storage space is more valuable than my need to hoard.

The truth is that WE may feel that our items are very valuable, but the only value an item has is what the market will bear. Let's face it. Some of these items have been flooding the markets. You really can't consider how much you paid for it. You have to consider how much a new buyer would be willing to pay for it.

After reading what I just wrote, I think it has the same tone as what a realtor would tell you about your house. Sound advice for both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

I totally misread the original post due to my tired and fried brain. I thought the seller was selling for $5 each or 3 for $10.00. My bad (as my kids say). I concur with the other post that thought $5 each was a bit steep. When you walk into a sale like that, unless they've got paper handy, you'd have no idea if they were dull or abused in anyway. If they were patterns I really liked, I might have, but probably not, have offered $12 for all three and that would have been a stretch for me, even at Canadian inflated prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Last year I had a garage sale and the cheapskates weren't the problem. It was the shoplifters!! I had several ladies that tried to walk off without paying! Can you ever imagine doing that?? I am a donating kind of lady now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do go to yard sales to buy alot of my rubber stamps. You can get good prices and its fun because you never know what you're going to find. Kind of like a treasure hunt. I have a small budget, so this really helps. I typically don't barter with people. If I think its too high, I usually walk away from it. If its something I really want, I might try offering a little lower price, but I don't want to insult anyone. My only pet peeve is when people have an attitude about "what its worth on ebay". My feeling is, then sell it on ebay, and go through the hassle of shipping and paying all of the fees and uploading pictures, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

If yard sales are too much work for too little money people will stop having them and a source of cheap crafting and other things will vanish. I know I see fewer yard sales in my area this year
I asked my friend what she did with the left overs. She said she called a school and said she had craft things to donate. She was told she needed to make an appointment so someone would be available to look through the things and take what they wanted :shock:
Ronald McDonald House only had certain things they wanted too . They preferred gift cards to buy what they wanted LOL
She said she didn't have time for that. She said she just threw it all in the trash!! And in the future when she has things she no longer wants they will also just go in the trash .
I don't know the situation with the school if people in the past have dumped absolute trash on them .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

haha, yeah your right, not sure what my excuse for brain deadness:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting thread! :razz:
My 2 cents...when I was a kid and we would go to garage sales...my dad would not let me buy anything unless I asked for a lower price! I think for some people who like to go to garage sales and rummage types of sales batering is just part of the fun! :razz:
I must admit that I can't really understand why someone wouldn't reduce their price a smidge if they were really just trying to clear out some space... but on the other other hand - talking someone down from a quarter seems kinda crazy! lololol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think everyone expects bartering unless they are working a large sale for someone else.

There is bartering and then there is wanting something for free. I have no problem with selling my paperbacks for a quarter and 5 for $1. I have a problem with people expecting you to give it to them, some respect for the seller for setting up and the time involved in actually arranging the sale wouldn't go amiss IMHO.

I think the current yard sale market people want free or to rob you with your consent. Honestly I sold some lovely thick fleece lined children's tops for a quarter each so I don't think I was overpricing. Really? haggling over a quarter when you have a $1 bottle of Pepsi in your hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

I totally agree! The seller spent a day or two pricing and getting the things ready to sell. Then they sat all day for 1-3 days to sell it
Who will bother spending a week of their time for $40- $50?
I rarely stop at yard sales and I certainly don't haggle. If I feel something is priced too high I just walk away . I would be embarrassed to offer 25�-50� for a SU stamp set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

If we see a garage sale DH speeds up to get past it! I used to go a little bit, but I really don't enjoy it. I've had sales, but we only advertised them for one day and then what ever didn't sell went to the local Thrift store. Now, we just donate to a charity for their resale.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

I have enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread. It is really interesting. From my perspective, I have always thought of garage/rummage sales as a way to make a little extra money from items you no longer want or need and have always assumed that the sellers would trash or donate what did not sell. Therefore, it was an eye opener when people said they would not sell an item if the person offered too little money for it. Of course, I am not talking about items that are $1.00 and under, that's kind of ridiculous to be asking someone to go lower than that. I guess things are changing and people are turning garage sales into a business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well here is an interesting story. I went to a town wide garage sale. I collect lead crystal, antique pieces. I went to a sale and a much older lady had a set of fruit bowls in one of the patterns I collect. She had 5.00 on them. I told her she could take them to an antique dealer and he would give her 80.00-100 dollars. She said honey they are junk to me. I just want to sell them. I said ok then I want to buy them. I could not have taken them w/o telling her how much they are worth. She had a platter that I did not buy but I really should have. At this point in my life there is nothing I need except Stamps and stamping supplies! New clothes once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

For the books, these all seem to be in line with what I was thinking as well. I guess some of us aren't too far off the mark in our thought process. My friend usually pays a quarter or 5 for a $1 if in reasonable shape for a paperback. She says sometimes she finds them for as low as 10 cents each but that is usually near the end of a sale when the person doesn't want to back them back up and store them again.

When looking at these books, the last paperback I bought brand new was priced $9.99 Cdn and $8.99 US. If selling it used for a dollar, that is 10% of the original asking price of $10. Would 10% of original cost be reasonable for all types of items? Maybe that was a rule of thumb at some point. I don't know, just wondering. Actually I just did some Googling on this and 10%-20% seems to be the accepted rule of thumb:

Use the 10% Rule (from Pricing Garage Sale Items and Other Helpful Garage Sale Tips)

"When you are pricing garage sale items, it is a good rule of thumb to price your items at about 10% to 20% of the original cost of the item. For example, if you are selling a hat that originally cost $15, you would price the hat between $1.50 and $3.00, or 10% to 20% of the original cost.

You should also consider the condition of the item when setting your price. If it is in great shape you can adjust a little higher and if it is not in the best shape, adjust a little lower. Lower priced items tend to sell faster."

So, in the case of a deep edge punch mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I see Oh My Crafts sells MS deep edge punches for $11.89 with a retail price of $14.99. Following the 10% rule of thumb mentioned with the books, at $11.89, 10% would be $1.20 on $11.89 or $1.50 on $14.99. Doubling the cost to 20% puts the $14.99 price in the ballpark of the 3 for $10.
So if I understand this correctly a $23.00 SU stamp set should be priced at a yard/rummage sale for between $2.30 and $4.60, correct??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

If this is the rule of pricing then her prices were too high. She had the SU stamps sets priced at $7-$8 . She had some 8 1/2" x 11" new never been opened packs of SU card stock priced at $2 and according to this they should have been 60� to $1.20 max . Interesting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So if I understand this correctly a $23.00 SU stamp set should be priced at a yard/rummage sale for between $2.30 and $4.60, correct??
Apparently. I guess that's why it is best to use eBay, Kijiji, Craigslist, the SCS sale board, etc. if you want a higher price. If most people are following this general rule of thumb, then the customers would be expecting lower prices than what we'd see elsewhere for crafting supplies. I think sellers would be safe to go as high as 1/3 of the original price, say $8 in this case. But then again is that the base price in the catty or the price the owner paid once shipping and tax were added? Everyone's starting point could be different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

My husband and I have had many garage sales over our 20-plus years together. The little town in Iowa where we used to live had a yearly city-wide sale that always drew a lot of people. We had our items priced well and made good money. When we first moved to Indiana, we didn't have the space so we stopped having them, but since changing houses, we've started doing them again with the subdivision's yearly sale. Haven't done as well as we did in Iowa dollarwise but then I won't sell something if I think the buyer wants to only pay a ridiculous price (like .25 for something priced $3 that was bought for $20 originally.) I'll either store it or give it to charity if I've stored it for several years.
Plus, I've found that most buyers are dealers (antique/thrift stores) or young people just starting out or expecting looking for baby/kid stuff that don't have a lot of money. I have no patience for the dealers and won't budge on price but usually will be more lenient with the younguns.

I think we're at a point where we probably won't do them but every couple of years, if we have time to put in the work. The kids are grown (so no more kids stuff to sell) and we don't buy a lot that would be re-usable, except books and clothes. We use what we buy until it breaks beyond repair and I don't change our decor very much. So what we have to offer really isn't worth the time it takes to set up a sale. What really cracks me up, though, is we have cats and we always save the cat litter containers and sell them for a nickel each. THEY ALWAYS SELL OUT!

While I'll have a yard/garage sale, I'm not really one to go to other people's sales. I figure I have enough of my own stuff, why do I need to go buy someone else's stuff? I did wander around a nearby subdivision's sale a couple of weeks ago. The only things I bought was a cup of lemonade for some kids and a huge bag of JellyBelly Belly Flop jelly beans (they had a whole case of them along with cases of other candy and I checked the dates.) I was looking for crafting supplies and most of the sellers were young families selling kids' stuff.

As for the question about the reasonable price of books, we sell ours in 25 cent increments depending on size.

OTR, in re to the Jelly Belly jelly beans, the person who invented the Chili Mango flavor should be hunted down and tarred and feathered. It was NASTY!

Last edited by Ragtop; 06-15-2011 at 04:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:56 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Couldn't tell if your comments concerning no common sense and judmental mindset was referring to me or to my comment about a higher end neighborhood.
Oh my gosh no! I didn't mean you! Do I ever feel bad. I mean the mindset of some buyers. I am sorry. I was rambling yesterday because I was tired. Shame on me.

To the poll on books. I pay ten cents for the Harlequin type books. Twenty-five cents for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardbacks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:35 AM   #67  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I tried selling craft items at my community garage sale and it was a bust. Last year I just put all the stuff on my dining room table and when I held my monthly class everyone shopped. I priced items based on if I how much I wanted to keep the items and not sell them.

If I was willing to give them to charity (ugly, what was I thinking, doesn't work like I thougt) 75% off

Still kind of liked it and gently used - 50% off

Want to keep it but I really shouldn't, it's new - 30% off

I also had a stack of free stuff

I sold almost everything and because the crafters knew they were getting a great bargain they didn't ask me to do further reductions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 AM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

I think there is a big difference between run-of-the-mill things like clothes, small appliances, etc. and pricing things that are collectible or more of a specialty item (like stamp products). Last year, my Dad decided it was time to clean out some of the woodworking tools – all VERY high end – that he no longer used. He priced them at about half of their retail value (many retailed >$1000) and we did do some advertising on CL. We had people who came and looked specifically at those items and were prepared to pay for them because they knew they were getting a good deal. They really weren’t the type of thing that many people would just buy. I had some SU sets out, and didn’t sell one. I had them all priced pretty cheap (a retired level 3 host set for $3) and no one wanted them. I don’t know that they’d have sold if I’d priced them at a quarter. I also had a lot of Pampered Chef items out – some retired, some duplicates. The new stuff I priced at about half of its retail, and they did sell. People knew it was a good deal. The used stuff I priced a bit lower. It all went. Dad also had some collectable dishes, priced less than you’d get at an antique mall, but not given away, and no one asked for it at lower prices. Some sold, some didn’t. Again, you have to have the right buyers.
I do think a lot of people see craft stuff at garage sales all the time, and so are used to getting it for practically nothing. When I do go to sales, I will pick up cheap things from time to time, but only if I need it or think I will use it. I have too much sitting around to buy more. However, if I saw something that I might use – like a punch if it wasn’t my thing – and thought I could get it cheap enough, I’d sure think harder about leaving it behind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

a fun thing for a group of stampers to do is to host a "no pay swap meet"

it is NOT open to the public, only to the group, and is hosted in someones home.

everyone sets up their own table and marks their items with thier name and a price value.

once everyone is set up, you open the floor for a 10 minute preview only, no "shopping" yet.

then you draw #'s to set the order in which you will all go, all players get a 10 minute time limit (some would take way longer without it LOL) and MUST return to thier own table when time is called even if they have not gotten around to all tables. this helps set a quick pace as well.

once the #'s are drawn, all players return to their own table and the swap begins.

person #1 goes first and gets to walk around the tables while everyone else stays put.
if she comes to my table and chooses an item/items, i then get to go to her table ONLY and choose the same value in item/items there and i return to my table

it goes this way until her time is called, and she must then return to her table and player #2 goes, and so on.

once all players have had thier turn and are back at thier own tables, the floor is called "open" and everyone can barter as they choose.

its a fun way to get new goodies and not spend any cash.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

That's a great idea.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever I price my stuff for a garage sale, I always assume someone is going to ask for a lower price, so I may add on a little to compensate. Some things I mark firm.

However, I wasn't always this way. I used to want my price and wouldn't sell for anything less. Then I would end up bringing most of my stuff back home to sit for another year. I tried the donating route once, it took some effort. I had to pack it all up, then box it, seal it and drive it to the post office.

Now, I only put things in garage sales that I don't want at all, and will bargain with people. If someone says $5 for a $10 item, I usually say $7. I get a little spending money and make someone else happy since they think they got a good deal. I love to bargain when I shop flea markets, garage sales, antiques, etc. That is all part of the enjoyment.

I also love to point out how much less I paid for something from the flea market versus what someone has priced at their sale.

I guess it is all a matter of attitude. I never think someone is being rude by offering less, they are just playing along. And really, you never know unless you try. And if they are being rude because you won't come down in price, add on another dollar instead!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #72  
Rubber Obsessor

When my sister has her rummage sales, she runs them 2-1/2 days. The last day, it's buck-a-bag day. It brings them back to see what deals they can get, and she doesn't have to pack up much stuff.
In my own experience, I've had people ask me to take a lower prices, and then want me to break $50. or $100. bill when they pay for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not had a yard sale in years and it was not like this years ago when I did have a couple of them. Occasionally someone would ask if you would take a little less , but it was not the norm. And they certainly didn't offer 50� for something marked $4
"Times are a changin"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have not had a yard sale in years and it was not like this years ago when I did have a couple of them. Occasionally someone would ask if you would take a little less , but it was not the norm. And they certainly didn't offer 50� for something marked $4
"Times are a changin"
Maybe I have watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian" too much but I thought haggling was when you knocked the person down to half and then you both settled on 3/4 of the marked price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #75  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Maybe I have watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian" too much but I thought haggling was when you knocked the person down to half and then you both settled on 3/4 of the marked price.
Right!!
I remember a couple of times when someone offered less and it was clear they didn't have much money I always took what they offered.
I remember a time when I was selling some drafting equipment. A young man and his father offered less and said he needed them for school. I said fine! I think I even threw in some stuff free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 PM   #76  
Stampin' Fool

I never have any luck finding good things (things I want like stamp sets) at any price when I go to garage sales so I just don't go any more.

The first time I did a major purge I gave everything away that I didn't want any more. I did ask people to pay for shipping if they wanted to but most people didn't. It was an option so I can't really complain but I was surprised that hardly anyone would pay shipping for the items they wanted. I wanted people who wanted the stuff to have it. Now I just give my stuff away locally to friends or charity. It's a lot easier than boxing it up and mailing it somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladies......Your idea to donate your unwanted craft items to a school, charity or other organization is admirable. But realize that not all or receivers want all the items you want to give. They may only have use for some particular items you have. Best to call ahead and speak with someone to find out the particulars.

Figure in the time and effort to box it all up and carry it to where ever you are donating also. Sometimes it's not worth it.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 AM   #78  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
Whenever I price my stuff for a garage sale, I always assume someone is going to ask for a lower price, so I may add on a little to compensate. Some things I mark firm.

However, I wasn't always this way. I used to want my price and wouldn't sell for anything less. Then I would end up bringing most of my stuff back home to sit for another year. I tried the donating route once, it took some effort. I had to pack it all up, then box it, seal it and drive it to the post office.

Now, I only put things in garage sales that I don't want at all, and will bargain with people. If someone says $5 for a $10 item, I usually say $7. I get a little spending money and make someone else happy since they think they got a good deal. I love to bargain when I shop flea markets, garage sales, antiques, etc. That is all part of the enjoyment.

I also love to point out how much less I paid for something from the flea market versus what someone has priced at their sale.

I guess it is all a matter of attitude. I never think someone is being rude by offering less, they are just playing along. And really, you never know unless you try. And if they are being rude because you won't come down in price, add on another dollar instead!!

This is my mindset as well. =) If someone has marked something "firm" or has a sign up saying "no haggling", I won't attempt to deal as it would be very rude in my opinion. However, haggling is part of the experience - especially in other cultures. =P Whenever I have a sale and I have people of different ethnicities trying to do unreasonable deals, I have to remember that it's part of their culture and in some parts of the world, it's rude if you don't try to haggle. Anyway, it doesn't offend me, as I typically price things about 1/3 more than I would take for then anyway. And the last day of the sale is "Half Off - unless marked"

Quote:

I totally agree! The seller spent a day or two pricing and getting the things ready to sell. Then they sat all day for 1-3 days to sell it
Who will bother spending a week of their time for $40- $50?
ME! :p Times are really tight around here and every little bit helps. It's completely worth it to me to spend the time sorting through things that we're not using anymore, giving them to someone who can use them more, and blessing them with a good price. It's not doing me any good, and even if they resell it (which doesn't bother me), I take it as I'm being given the opportunity to help them along the way. I don't really think people are out to take advantage of me. But even if they are, it's not for me to police others and what they do. All I can be sure of is that I'm able to help out others while cleaning house. Even if we only make $20 in the meantime - it's completely worth it to me. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes