Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-27-2016, 04:46 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Dried up on my Rollers

I have been storing my SU roller stamps on a peg board, but find they are hardening up. Does anyone know of a way to rejuvenate them, or what I could run on them to restore to their original state? TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

How about choosing one stamp for a trial with applying glycerin to the rubber, then setting it aside for a day or 2 or 3 in a zippy bag to see if that remoistens the rubber. Bottled glycerin can be found in the vicinity of the pharmacy in many stores. It is rubber-friendly, yet not a greasy product.

Having always kept rubber stamps in closed containers, my suggestion does not come from experience per se. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
How about choosing one stamp for a trial with applying glycerin to the rubber, then setting it aside for a day or 2 or 3 in a zippy bag to see if that remoistens the rubber. Bottled glycerin can be found in the vicinity of the pharmacy in many stores. It is rubber-friendly, yet not a greasy product.

Having always kept rubber stamps in closed containers, my suggestion does not come from experience per se. ;)
i will try that, have nothing to lose. I should have kept them in bags, but just never thought about it and I should have used them more. Will let you know how it works out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

It might be easier to rejuvenate them if you remove them from the rollers so they're long flat strips instead. (I also find them easier to use this way, as I'm seriously wheel-challenged). They can lay in the glycerin that way, too. Another product that I've heard helps is Ultra Clean. It seems to be oilier than other cleaners and maybe that's why...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Isn't Versamark essentially glycerine on a pad? I wonder what running them over a Versamark pad, loading them up, letting them sit with that a bit and then cleaning them off would do. Have never tried it, so not a recommendation, just a thought. I have a feeling, once the rubber is actually cracked, there's not much you can do.

I also store my wheels on a spool rack, and so far, all but one is doing fine (even though some have never seen ink in years and years). Lucky me, the one that's got some cracks in it is a style that lends itself to the look, so it isn't even apparent when it's rolled out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #6  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

OP, here is a link to an SCS thread with info you might find helpful: How to improve hardened dry rubber stamps... by SweetMissDaisy at Splitcoaststampers

...and the last post in the above thread contains a link to another SCS thread that you might find helpful
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
OP, here is a link to an SCS thread with info you might find helpful: How to improve hardened dry rubber stamps... by SweetMissDaisy at Splitcoaststampers

...and the last post in the above thread contains a link to another SCS thread that you might find helpful
Thank you for the link!
Reply With Quote Likes