Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ribbon storage

I am trying to get organized am I was wondering if anyone has tried those craftlocker ribbon storage boxes? I would like to order one but I am wondering how much they hold and if anyone who has one has any comments about it. If SU had one for us I would buy it in a minute! Thanks for helping me out with this!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

My ribbon is out of control and in the bottom drawer of my Iris cart. I, too, need to get it organized so that I can make room for more stamp set (see where my priorities are at?). So, a while back, I did search the forum about the craftlocker organizers. It seems like everyone who has purchased them, really like them. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of $$ for ribbon storage. I read some great posts and found some other alternatives for ribbon storage which were a lot less expensive. Do a search in General Stamping Talk for Craftlocker. You'll find posts on the Craftlocker as well as find some other alternative for storing your ribbon. I'm taking the large photo storage box approach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouse
I am trying to get organized am I was wondering if anyone has tried those craftlocker ribbon storage boxes? I would like to order one but I am wondering how much they hold and if anyone who has one has any comments about it. If SU had one for us I would buy it in a minute! Thanks for helping me out with this!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:22 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

those craft lockers look all nice and cute, but they are too expensive when you think of all the ribbon and fibers I have to organise. I have been making the ribbon boxes and they satisfiy my needs at this time.

Besides, they are fun to make as well as being cheapo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

There are MANY ribbon storage alternatives that are much more cost effective. Check out an article in Papercrafts magazine. There is a whole section on using and storing ribbon.

A tip: I like putting a tiny bit of mono adhesive at the very end of the ribbon and attach it to the ribbon on the spool. No more ribbons tangles and mess in your "on the go" bag or in drawers.

Last edited by stampinsweeney; 09-08-2005 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have looked at them, but they really don't hold very much ribbon, esp for the high price. I have found a great way to store ribbon. I use those "trouser hangers" that you can hold 4-5 pairs of pants on. You have to get the ones with the swing out arm. I have one for each color and just have them hanging in the closet in my scrap/stamp room!! You can get them at Target or Walmart for about $6 and can always expand as your ribbon collection does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Another cute thing to do is i have seen like the Cheapo Target Rubbermaid container things with Holes drilled in them and and then the ribbon coming out of the holes. That way you can keep stacking them. I keep meaning to have my hubby drill some holes in them for me and try it out but haven't yet. But it looks like a great idea. I have seen spindles run thru the middle of the ribbon spools and then the spools in a row in the box ffor spool ribbon or just the loose ribbon laying in the container coming thru one of the holes. They go along both sides of it with holes so you can have quite a bit in there..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2005, 09:17 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I was looking at the gallery the other day - under "Special Collections" and then "Stampin' Spaces." WOW! Some people's stamp rooms made me drool. There's some great ideas for ribbon storage in there - like the holes drilled in the rubbermaid like Wendalyn mentioned. Check it out - it's great to see pictures of storage ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 03:22 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

GREAT IDEA!! using the monoadhesive!! -- TFS!! I know what I'll be doing tonight while sitting in front of the TV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeney
There are MANY ribbon storage alternatives that are much more cost effective. Check out an article in The Rubber Stamper magazine. There is a whole section on using and storing ribbon.

A tip: I like putting a tiny bit of mono adhesive at the very end of the ribbon and attach it to the ribbon on the spool. No more ribbons tangles and mess in your "on the go" bag or in drawers.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I store mine in the containers with the holes that Target had a while back - and I hate them. I saw on a web page a few days ago where a women had used Ball canning jars to store her ribbon in. She took it off the spools, rolled it into balls and used big paper clips to hold it together. She then stacked the jars on her shelf. The colors were beautiful and made her room much brighter. I love being able to see everything in my room so I am going to give this a try. If not - back to the boxes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 03:40 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by outsiderartist
those craft lockers look all nice and cute, but they are too expensive when you think of all the ribbon and fibers I have to organise. I have been making the ribbon boxes and they satisfiy my needs at this time.

Besides, they are fun to make as well as being cheapo
Can you post a couple of pictures of your ribbon boxes? I REALLY want to try this, but honestly can't figure out how to cover a sturdy shoe box and make it look nice. I think my corners would be all messy.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 05:53 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

i have a craft locker and i love it!!! i want another one to keep my SU and non SU spools seperate. i have a pic in my gallery of it.

i agree it was a little bit more than i wanted to spend, but i love how its hanging on the wall and off my desk space. look around for wholesalers you may get a better deal. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2005, 09:04 AM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I did the cheap storage container, with holes and dowels. I love the fact that it's see-through! I saw one on Ebay that is basically a photo storage box doing the same thing, so I did it super cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default storage

I like my current set up (on dowels), but if I were re-doing my space, I would use the 'rain gutter cut in half lengthwise' with endcaps ....and just set the rolls in there for dispensing. Looks much more user friendly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 10:57 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampandscrap1954
I like my current set up (on dowels), but if I were re-doing my space, I would use the 'rain gutter cut in half lengthwise' with endcaps ....and just set the rolls in there for dispensing. Looks much more user friendly.
I saw this in someones gallery & thought it looked so cool! I want that system!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Great idea! I have the "ribbon on a stick" and the mess of ends is enough to make a girl crazy (er). My sis has hers in one of those mesh laundry bags... she says it is good, but not great.
Keep those ideas coming>
Gogo

Heather
------------------------------------
NEVER too busy for fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Location: In my new "Ink Spot" which happens to be in Olathe KS!
Default Ribbon storage

My recent solution (because the 3 drawers full of ribbon trick wasnt working any more!!!)

My husband got me 2 wooden dowls at micheals one is thin so it fits the little rolls, & then a thicker for the bigger rolls, I just pop them on, once it is read to hang we will use the hooks that you hang curtain rods up with. They are kind of a U shape at the end of a piece of metal & the dowel just drops in.
I have both rods full, so I am hoping to get a few more soon!! (No I dont have a ribbon addiction!)

Jennifer

my other hobby www.puhakphotography.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Arrow make your own box

If anyone wants to make a ribbon storage box...

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

They have a nice wodden ribbon storage organizer for sale here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Default Storage for over 400-500 Ribbon Bolts :)

Yes...I am a true "ribbon a holic". I actually bought the wire "utility racks" from Home Depot. These are the ones that you find in the "closet organizer" area and often hold cans on the back of a pantry door. They are white wire and are like small rectangle bins. I bought 2 of the "4 shelf" and one of the "3 shelf" style. I actually mounted them on the wall behind the door to my stamp room. Next, I put up a curtain rod and put curtain panels up to cover it...not seen unless the door is closed anyways

I LOVE it as I can have 5-6 stacks of 7-9 bolts each on each one of the shelves. AND...I can see ALL of my ribbon at a glance.

I did this in my last house and mounted it on the inside of a closet door...I do not recommend this as it can become heavy with all the ribbon and is hard on the door.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 08:20 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychkim
Yes...I am a true "ribbon a holic". I actually bought the wire "utility racks" from Home Depot. These are the ones that you find in the "closet organizer" area and often hold cans on the back of a pantry door. They are white wire and are like small rectangle bins. I bought 2 of the "4 shelf" and one of the "3 shelf" style. I actually mounted them on the wall behind the door to my stamp room. Next, I put up a curtain rod and put curtain panels up to cover it...not seen unless the door is closed anyways

I LOVE it as I can have 5-6 stacks of 7-9 bolts each on each one of the shelves. AND...I can see ALL of my ribbon at a glance.

I did this in my last house and mounted it on the inside of a closet door...I do not recommend this as it can become heavy with all the ribbon and is hard on the door.

Kim
Was hoping that you might have a photo of your area--sounds like a great idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been battling the ribbon war the past couple of days...here is what I came up with....

I buy a lot of ribbon from other than SU sources...most of them are about 5 yards each...so I purchased the Cropper Hopper Embellishment Essentials Mini Square boxes - well I could not see paying so much for their box so I went to Walmart with my CH box in hand and found one that would work perfectly - it is a tackle box that will hold 60 of these CH mini boxes....I think it was all of $2-3
Now the CH mini boxes are $2.99 each pkg of 12 but I try to get them on sale....
I take the thin ribbon and roll them up and out in the mini boxes then the mini boxes go into the tackle box.....I have fit up to 10 yards of the organdy ribbon in one box so far...to give you an idea of how much it will hold.

I have purchased yardages of SU ribbon so I have rolled all of it now and for the wide ribbon that I got I put on those cross stitch cards ....

I will take a picture tomorrow when I get it all in there and post it for you...

As for the SU rolls that I have I am not sure but I think I am going to put them in a flip top shoe box for the time being - I am thinking of cutting a sample one inch piece and making a chart to put in the top of the tackle box so I dont forget about having it!

I can not store things in the open or on the walls so I had to come up with something compact that I could pull out when I needed it.

AS for the fibers....well I have them in a long rectangular decorator box I got at Target.... I put the rolls of fiber on end and I can open the top and see what I have....if I only have a small bit I am putting them on the cross stitch cards as well ...when I get to that!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Another ribbon storage idea

Somewhat along the same line of the Ball jar storage. You can use baby food jars. Since they are smaller, you can put each ribbon type in a jar, then line them up on a shelf and get a fantastic display of rainbow colors. (Of course it would look much better if the labels were off and the jars were of the same size maybe.) Just a thought. :razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2005, 11:35 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Hello...

I had received a couple PM's re: a picture. I am in the "dark ages" and don't even have a digital cameral BUT I have a friend coming over on Sunday...I will see if she can download one for me

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 04:13 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhondamcb
Somewhat along the same line of the Ball jar storage. You can use baby food jars. Since they are smaller, you can put each ribbon type in a jar, then line them up on a shelf and get a fantastic display of rainbow colors. (Of course it would look much better if the labels were off and the jars were of the same size maybe.) Just a thought. :razz:
Or attach the jar lids to the bottom of a shelf, then screw the jar into the lid for off-the-shelf organizing!

Alyson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 04:25 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

[ I have found a great way to store ribbon. I use those "trouser hangers" that you can hold 4-5 pairs of pants on. You have to get the ones with the swing out arm. I have one for each color and just have them hanging in the closet in my scrap/stamp room!!

I store my wheels on those. I remove the black rubber (that keeps the pants from slipping) and it's a nice way to store the wheels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 04:32 AM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Most of my ribbon is not on spools. I put it in the baggies and put the baggies on the binder ring. From the cross stitch section. My desk in in front of a window. I got two tension curtain rods. Put those in the window and hang the baggies using the binder clip. This way I can see all my ribbons & fibers, and they do not get tangled up. The ones on spools are just in a drawer of an iris cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 05:10 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default ribbon storage

I bought some of the smallest (and CHEAPEST) curtain rods from Wal-Mart and hung them on my wall. I have one for each type of ribbon (narrow and wide organdy, etc.) and one for misc. ribbon that is non SU! I like to have my supplies visible and easily accessible and this works better than the 10 or so other things that I had tried in the past! Hope this helps a little.

Marcy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 05:52 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I have

the rain gutters for my ribbon storage...best decision I ever made. I had them on dowels, but always wanted the roll in the middle, to take with me somewhere...very frustrating! I have never regretted having DH hook these babies up, although, he says that I should only buy enough to fill the gutters...if they are full--start using ribbon up...yeah, right!
Attached Thumbnails
ribbon storage-ribbon.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I had the room I would do the rain gutter for sure - I like the idea of the baby jars! And I have some in the garage....just need to find a way to display them neatly......But I am thinking for embellishments -

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes