Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Renovating Office/Craft Room! Suggestions, please!

I am drafting the renovation for our office. Would you please share with me things/organization items/methods that you have in your own craft room that you couldn't live without?

My draft currently includes:
9 30x30x12 cabinets (6 on my wall, 3 on his)
  • 1 for kid craft stuff
  • 1 for office supplies/printer paper
  • 1 for camera equipment
  • 4 are up high for long-term or not-using-it-everyday storage
  • 1 for stamps (enough?...I'm going unmounted)
  • 1 for miscellaneous craft supplies (with pull out cubbies)
16.5' of counter space (total) IS THERE ANY REASON NOT TO USE LAMINATE? Don't have the $$ for granite.
a Cricut & Bigshot station with shelves for cartridges
ink pad rack
ribbon rack
Ikea bars for punches
slots for 12x12 paper--is 32 1" slots enough? I can fit two kinds of paper in one slot
in-arms'-reach cubbies for small items
Ott lighting
printer station
Space underneath counter for router, CPU, ext.HD, etc.
Under-counter trash
2 under counter drawer-units on wheels units w/ hard tops that can be used for additional workspace
Under counter file cabinets (mostly for household docs)
Scrapbooks will go on two antique (my g-grandmother's) endtables

Do they make file cabinets for 12x12 paper/projects? Where do you get them?

My husband and I will both have 5' of undercounter space with nothing there to easily move and not feel crowded

The long wall will be "mine" and the short wall will be "his." Generally speaking, of course WHAT HAVE I LEFT OUT? Please share your thoughts!

Amazingly, since I'm doing the work myself, I'll be able to do all this for around $1000. I'll be doing the room in Shabby Chic color style of light (but not stark white) colors to match an antique-style crystal chandelier, the drapes from my grandma's house & my great-great aunt's desk (which will go are on the opposite wall). I cannot WAIT to get started...even if that means I can't get to my computer for a week!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

WOW! What an exciting time this must be for you! You must post pictures once your room is done.

I just have a couple things - I didn't see anything for 8 1/2 x 11 cs or for your scraps

Also, outlets above the counter top - they make life so much easier

Good luck and have fun with this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, they make filing cabinets for 12 by12 paper. I think. try office max for a legal size full suspension filing cabinet.take your 12 by 12 paper with you to check it out. You need to get new filing cabinets because they will be the ones you can use hanging files with, don't buy the things to put in other filing cabinets because they don't work. I teach. I know from experience. I'm putting my cardstock in full suspension filing cabinets because they can handle the weight of that much card stock. Filing cabinets you get from Walmart aren't full suspension and won't hold up.

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

*So* jealous!! And happy for you!!! I would suggest one of those undercounter garbage holes...you know what I mean? Like a little hole cut in the counter top so you can just push your wee paper scraps into the hole.

And pictures are *totally* imperative when it's all done! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not adding much, but I just want to say, I'm So Jealous!! And count me in for wanting pics as well Make sure that if there's a window, you get to sit near or under it, it really halps with the creativity
Oh, and have a special nook for your Photobox, with good lighting, to take great pics of the cards, in

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oooo SO jealous.

Would def suggest getting a good strong light for where you are crafting and poss more storage for embellies and bits and bobs. You seriously will be amazed how much your collection explodes when you get a lay out like that
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 AM   #7  
Alz
Compulsive Stamper

Hi! I'm sharing your excitement!!! We're about to move into a new home we've had built and although I've always had my own scrapping space, in this house I've got a whole studio all to myself!!!! So I'm right in the middle of packing everything and sorting it how I go so I too can figure out how to set up my studio. I don't know if this helps, and maybe because I scrap more than I make cards, but I'm going to be sorting my papers and embellishments by manufacturer. I don't know about you, but if I want to create something in a particular style I know which manufacturer's products I'll want to use. So I'm hoping my system will work. For the most part I'm working with IKEA Expedits with the cube infills (drawers/cupboards etc). We don't have much in the way of 12x12 storage here in Australia because although scrapbooking has taken off, a lot of storage companies are still to catch up LOL! I really look forward to seeing the pics of how your room turns out although perhaps my DH might prefer that I didn't?!?!!! Alz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOO Alz, with the 12 x 12 cropper hopper make some 12 x 12 hanging files which may fit into the larger IKEA cubes with the draw infills (take some 12 x 12 to ikea makes life SO much easier)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #9  
Alz
Compulsive Stamper

Oh Lisa can you believe that the Cropper Hoppers don't fit in the Expedit cubes by just a few cms?!?! LOL I nearly tore my hair out when I realised. If the material the Cropper Hoppers was made from was more 'scissors friendly' I'd definitely cut them down but for the time being I'm persevering with new ideas!!! Thanks!!! Alz
Reply With Quote Likes