Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really bizarre thing with USPS and clear envelopes...

Just wanted to share this really weird thing... I still can't believe this.

A week ago Saturday (May 19th), I mailed out 15 invitations for my son's
birthday party. Here is what the invitation looks like. They were all in clear envelopes. The clear envelope had a white paper that had the addressee name and return address on it and the card. The card had a piece of white printer paper with all the details glued on the inside.

We invited a couple of our neighbors but I emailed one of them on Monday (the 21st) just to make sure she got it. She lives 5 houses down so mail takes 1 day to get to her. Nope, nothing yet. Nothing Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. Finally, on Friday she gets it.

Here's the weird part... she got the white paper with her address on it. AND just the white printer paper from the inside of the card. It was clearly ripped off the card and stuck in the envelope and mailed to her.

HOW BIZARRE IS THAT? Someone at the post office or somewhere STOLE my card? WHY would they do that? And why not just take the whole thing? VERY STRANGE.

My friend has filed a complaint with the post office. We'll see if that does anything. It's not the first time her mail has been tampered with. :(

Isn't that just weird???

Okay, thanks for listening... just had to share.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

It has been known to happen but it is a federal offense to mess with the mail. So it is good that your friend reported it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, how amazingly cruddy!!

People stink!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:07 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

It is a very cute card, but that is beyond weird.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Do you know if other invites were stolen also? I'd call around to everyone you invited, especially if you haven't heard from them, to see if they got the invite at all.

And I hope they figure out who did that! I'm not sure how much they'll investigate - but I believe postal workers are federal employees, and I believe all federal employees must be finger printed, so I wonder if they would try to lift prints off the envelope and/or paper.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

That is really bizaare! Like that thief thought he/she could get away with it???

BTW, that was a really cute card - but still!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Did the clear envelope reach her? I wonder if it got mangled so they put the white parts in a regular envelope and sent her that portion; usually if it gets mangled though, the PO put's whatever's left in a baggie with an explanation on it! Sorry that happened!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep just shaking my head... I just can't think how *some* people think ... or maybe they don't *think*.

Anyway, I did check with other neighbors (and others) and they did get it. Just this one freak thing.

So here's another bit of trivia...
First, I like to think that I believe people are inherently good. My "normal" postal person (she doesn't work everyday of the week) has a sister or niece or someone that is an SU! demo (as I am). And she and I have talked about that briefly (like chit chat while I'm waiting for her to put all my mail in the community box). Anyway, part of me thinks that she would have done it but she's so nice that I can't believe it. But then why would anyone *else* want it?

Thanks for the comments on the card. It is Jenn Balcer's design. She's so clever.

Maybe that's why someone stole it... because they *knew* it was a Jenn Balcer design!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that's the reason I don't mail using my clear envelopes, to many noisy people out there. It's a good thing there was no money in it.

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathycView Post
Did the clear envelope reach her? I wonder if it got mangled so they put the white parts in a regular envelope and sent her that portion; usually if it gets mangled though, the PO put's whatever's left in a baggie with an explanation on it! Sorry that happened!
Yep, everything was perfect. No sign of damage. The white inside was carefully removed (i.e. not bent or folded or ripped or anything).

She (my friend) actually thought that I might have been too busy and forgot to put the card in there until she turned over the "white inside" piece and realized that it had little ballet blue cardstock marks where the adhesive was.

So, I'm never going to know what happened. I just think maybe I'll only send ugly cards through with the clear envelopes.:twisted:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #11  
gio
Kookie Creator

Very strange but it does not surprise me. My little niece collects stamps so whenever I mail her a package I cover it with stamps instead of the little sticker thing you using get at the counter. (Hope that makes sense). Anyhow one day she gets the package and someone had cut the box where all the stamps were. Everything in the box was there but the stamps were missing. She called the post office and the guy said she could place a complaint but nothing would come of it. It is a federal offense to tamper with someone's mail but nothing came of it. So nothing surprises me anymore.

Gabriel , Isabelle, Olivia
My three inspirations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I used to always send cards out in the clear envies. No more. I've had quite a few people not get their cards. So now I send cards in the white envies and save the clear ones for people who I hand cards out to...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:09 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Wow and I was going to suggest to a girl that I am making invites for to send them in clear envelopes....forget that.....whew.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
And it costs an extra 17 cents to send something in a clear envelope. Postage is high enough. We have a couple of little neighborhood kids who run kind of wild, age 3 and 4, no supervision. I worry about them getting in my mailbox because I caught them getting into my daughter's car one day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:23 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Oh see I can see the funny side to this thought, cause obviously who ever nicked your card had a bit of conscious didn't they cause they sent the middle bit with the details on it to her!!!! totally agree though very very bizarre he he

My blog - http://sillybirds.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:27 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlehmerView Post
And it costs an extra 17 cents to send something in a clear envelope. Postage is high enough. We have a couple of little neighborhood kids who run kind of wild, age 3 and 4, no supervision. I worry about them getting in my mailbox because I caught them getting into my daughter's car one day.

You know, I wondered if it cost more. I just put the $0.41 stamp on there and they all went fine... well all but this one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default No More Clear Envelopes

Quote:

And it costs an extra 17 cents to send something in a clear envelope.
My post office charged me $1.13 per clear envelope last week. The clerk told me anything not in a paper envelope would be sent parcel post. I used to enjoy mailing cards in clear envelopes, but I won't anymore. :(

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraView Post
My post office charged me $1.13 per clear envelope last week. The clerk told me anything not in a paper envelope would be sent parcel post. I used to enjoy mailing cards in clear envelopes, but I won't anymore. :(

Vera
You know, I am really getting tired of things not being universal at the PO. If I send a card with a clear envie in Madison, no problems. but, if you go to a small town 45 minutes away from here, they require extra postage. And, my Mom had to pay an extra $.11 for her x-mas card this year, but the other 100 were fine.

I also went to a smaller PO a week ago and they told me that the small customs form was now obsolete, and I needed to use the big one. It was a tiny padded envie, so the big one wouldn't even fit. I told them the main post office accepts it, and then she let it go through! Can we just get a straight answer?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

My father in law never got his birthday card in the clear envelope...and I mailed two cards the same day...going to the same location and the white envelope made it! Very strange...

I think your work is so cute though...probably some one took it! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Whenever I mail sometihing in a clear envelope (havn't had a problem yet with postage due, and I just use a regular stamp) I put the stamp and address label on the side with the flap.. I put the postage stamp right over the seam where the flap is sealed, so that to open it up, you would have to rip through the stamp. I don't know if one has ever been opened or not, but I just think that someone would be less likely to open it up if it would mean that by ripping the stamp, the reciever may know that you did that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

If what happened to your neighbour's card wasn't a prank, it's downright creepy. >
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

wow, oh wow, why didn't I think of this idea today before mailing something out! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great tip and suggestion
Quote:

Originally Posted by nbwccView Post
Whenever I mail sometihing in a clear envelope (havn't had a problem yet with postage due, and I just use a regular stamp) I put the stamp and address label on the side with the flap.. I put the postage stamp right over the seam where the flap is sealed, so that to open it up, you would have to rip through the stamp. I don't know if one has ever been opened or not, but I just think that someone would be less likely to open it up if it would mean that by ripping the stamp, the reciever may know that you did that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Really? I've never heard of that, and I use the clear envies from time to time. I just stick a regular stamp on, and the people always get them. :confused: Is that something new? It's probably been six mos or so since I've used one.

To the OP... that is too weird! I wonder if anything will come of the complaint you filed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

The criteria below are from the USPS website. Note section b, about plastic wrapping. This extra fee (.17) is also charged for lumpiness (ie ribbons, buttons, brads, etc) as per sections c and d. This extra fee applies even if your envelope is less than 1/4 inch thick. However, as noted by lots of posters above, not all post offices abide by these rules.

1.2 Nonmachinable Criteria

A letter-size piece is nonmachinable (see 6.4) if it has one or more of the following characteristics (see 601.1.4 to determine the length, height, top, and bottom of a mailpiece):

a. Has an aspect ratio (length divided by height) of less than 1.3 or more than 2.5.

b. Is polybagged, polywrapped, or enclosed in any plastic material.

c. Has clasps, strings, buttons, or similar closure devices.

d. Contains items such as pens, pencils, or loose keys or coins that cause the thickness of the mailpiece to be uneven (see 601.11.18, Odd-Shaped Items in Paper Envelopes).

e. Is too rigid (does not bend easily when subjected to a transport belt tension of 40 pounds around an 11-inch diameter turn).

f. For pieces more than 4-1/4 inches high or 6 inches long, the thickness is less than 0.009 inch.

g. Has a delivery address parallel to the shorter dimension of the mailpiece.

h. Is a self-mailer with a folded edge perpendicular to the address if the piece is not folded and secured according to 201.3.13.1.

i. Booklet-type pieces with the bound edge (spine) along the shorter dimension of the piece or at the top, unless prepared according to 201.3.13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #25  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 629 Likes on 441 Posts

I think maybe it got so mangled that the PO put it in another envie and sent it on its way. I have had this happed. I think they stamp it and say that is what happened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #26  
gio
Kookie Creator

I just got a card today and it was a bit lumpy. Attached to it was a postage due notice for 17 cents with an envelope for me to deposit my money. This has never happened before. The post office must really be clamping down.

Gabriel , Isabelle, Olivia
My three inspirations
Reply With Quote Likes