Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Read the fine Print when subscribing to a mag!

Apparently, when you use your credit card to subscribe to Cards magazine by Northridge Media, your subscription is automatically renewed. I don't remember seeing that, and just checked the website and did not see the notice anywhere. If it is there, it must be when you provide a credit card.............

I don't want to renew and am now emailing and calling to cancel. (The website does not include a "click here to cancel" option.)

Last edited by Joan B; 10-14-2008 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: add more info
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many magazines use that now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Things like this is one of the many reasons I generate one time credit card numbers through my cc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

That happened to me with a virus scan program.. I switched to another company and had no idea that the first one was going to automatically charge me when it was renewal time. They did refund my money, but now I read all the "fine print" to keep this from happening. Thanks for the heads up on the magazine. I had noticed that on a magazine I was a subscriber to, and changed that on the website, so when the subscription ended, it ended.

Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:21 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

This is why I always use the "bill me" option on magazines and then write a check. I've never had a problem with renewals this way. Oh they send renewal notices trying to get me to renew, but since they don't have a CC on file, they can't automatically charge me and extend the subscription.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Yip, that has happened to me before too - like the other posters I am now very wary of giving out credit card numbers and read all the fine print.

Also beware of one time great offers on cookbooks and such - I bought a holiday edition of a Southern Living cookbook, at a fabulous price and unwittingly agreed to buy more in the series, at a not so fabulous price, as I found out when the next one appeared in my mailbox. They did cancel my subscription though but it took much more effort to cancel than to sign up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 492 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Mag

Lots of mags use the automatic renewal whether you pay by CC or check....I had to write to the Good Housekeeping Problem solver column to force one magazine to quit trying to renew my deceased mother's subscription....Guess what the magazine was:::::: Good Housekeeping......... This was after I had sent them several letters explaining why it shouldn't be renewed.

The ones I think have the most nerve are those that send a bill for a year's subscription when you have never sent it in--------guess some folks are so out of it that they just pay what comes in........gotta be a neat way to rake in the bucks.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mind the automatic renewal if it is clear when you sign up and it is a click and cancel option on the website.....thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm.

I had a subscription at one time, but, it was a gift from my MIL. And, I did purchase a special issue from them nearly a year ago, and I may have used my PayPal account to do so . . .

I wonder if that's why a $50 PayPal transaction went through on my account from Scrapbook Trends when I myself did not initiate or renew a subscription at all! It was weird--totally outta' the blue! :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Aahh, is that why I have a charge from them. I emailed and left them a message last week with no response yet. Will have to try to get ahold of them.

�Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away�.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I *hate* that. Kind of off topic, but years ago I worked in loss control for a cc company who shall not be named - their fine print was to charge $ 1 or something for cc protection automatically unless you checked a box, which no one did. People who never used their cards didn't open bills and $1 charges became $300 with late fees, interest etc., mostly senior citizens. It was disgusting.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

This happened to me recently with my Paper Crafts subscription. I wouldn't mind resubscribing to Paper Crafts...I love this magazine...but the problem is that I'm getting a gift subscription now too so I don't need to renew mine. I'm now getting two magazines a month. The crazy thing is I've contacted them twice about cancelling my subscription this month and they sent me the number to a credit-card processing company who supposedly handles this for them. That company claims they didn't charge me...and that Paper Crafts did, so sent me back to PC. PC hasn't replied. So now I don't know how to cancel my second subscription. It's frustrating.

www.lettersfromlizzie.blogspot.com
www.lizzieannedesigns.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieView Post
This happened to me recently with my Paper Crafts subscription. I wouldn't mind resubscribing to Paper Crafts...I love this magazine...but the problem is that I'm getting a gift subscription now too so I don't need to renew mine. I'm now getting two magazines a month. The crazy thing is I've contacted them twice about cancelling my subscription this month and they sent me the number to a credit-card processing company who supposedly handles this for them. That company claims they didn't charge me...and that Paper Crafts did, so sent me back to PC. PC hasn't replied. So now I don't know how to cancel my second subscription. It's frustrating.
Call your credit card company, tell them you're notified the company and they are not removing the charge. Your CC will authorize an immediate temp refund to your CC, and will looking into the matter. I've never had my CC not find in my favor. They may ask that you supply any emails or other proof of contact.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Yep, that's why I always select the "bill me later" option, if they have one. If they don't, I usually won't get a subscription, unless they are totally awesome mag, and I haven't found one yet.
Reply With Quote Likes