Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-doing first scrapbooks??

Has anyone else done this? My first scrapbook's which are at least 11-12 years old are so ugly. I decided with all the newer,cuter paper and die-cuts and embellisments I was going to re-do my earlier books. I carefully pulled off all the pictures that I did back then and in the process of updating them with the cute things they have out now. Of, course in 10 years these will probably be ugly to me, but, for now I am having fun. Just wondering if anyone else has done this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I haven't done this, but I keep thinking about it. Part of my think that I should leave it as is so I can see how I have evolved in scrapbooking, but the other part or me wants to make it better. I will add that I really have no business thinking about re-doing already done ones since I am very behind in the ones that I have to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have certainly thought about it and mine were 8 1/2 x 11 and I do 12 x 12. I started out with me and my family when I was a baby. Some of the very best pictures done in the style years ago. I am so far behind in scrapbooking (and I love cardmaking also), that it doesn't make any real sense, BUT I may at some point do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have started to , but now I am now taking a break from scrapbooking for a little while.
When I first started I worked Creative memories style. I started with the same book again SU style. Thinking of it, if I would start with it again (which I might), it will be just my own style, because over the years I have learned a lot and think I have figured out the style I want in my scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

I actually kind of like and appreciate my first books, crude as they were from 10 years ago. They reflect my skill and the industry as a whole from that time and capture our events just fine. The main reason is NO TIME! I like trying new things and making new theme books (so over chronological scrappin'!) and I don't want to take the time to fix mistakes. Every now and then, I see a layout in an older book that truly bothers me. After obsessing about it for a while, I have gone back and redone maybe a total of five layouts over 10 years.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I added to some pages and re did some, but not all of them were horrendous. I can barely keep up, much less restyle all the older pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #7  
ajm
Insane Embellisher

I re-did my baby book but that was put together by my mom in one of those magnetic albums. I probably wouldn't go back and re-do any of my own layouts until I'm caught up on the rest of my 35 years worth of pictures.

If you're having fun re-doing yours, go ahead, you're not hurting anything by doing it.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

So funny that you bring this up - I re-did a few pages not that long ago but it is kind of nice to look at them and see where you are now as far as style but oh my gosh my style was primitive "way back when"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Yep. The first scrapbook I made was for my mom. When I looked back at it, it was horrible, so I took it back and redid most of the pages...funny thing is, looking back now, I want to redo it again, lol. I also had a scrapbook I made of me and hubby that looked really bad too. I tore it all apart over a year ago, but I haven't redone it yet...I would recommend redoing one page at a time though, and not what I did :lol:. I'm not really sure why I took pictures, but look at this mess!
Attached Thumbnails
Re-doing first scrapbooks??-12-04-07-060.jpg   Re-doing first scrapbooks??-12-04-07-061.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I so know how you feel! My first books were done almost 10 years ago and I want to tear them out! But, like others have said, it is kind of fun to see how my style has evolved. I specifically remember doing those pages, feeling proud with my result, and sharing them with my DH. They kind of have special memories, as ugly as they are!

I make an album for each of my 3 kids plus a family album. To re-do that now would be obnoxious! I am 2 years behind as it is! Plus, my kids LOVE their albums! They don't see them as outdated or not as fancy at all. They really do love them for what they are.

I think we are too hard on ourselves. Plus, I wonder if I re-do a book now, will I feel the same in 10 more years...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I would never go back and re-do my albums, unless something awful happened to them (God forbid). The albums are as much a memory to be saved as the photos that are in them. They are a reflection of who I was and what my style was at the time, and as someone else said, the products and techniques that were popular then (although I'm not a very "trendy" scrapbooker.) I have re-used photos, though, if they are really good and I want to do something different with them. I have learned to be happy with what I have done, and I know that my family will appreciate all of the albums I have made, not just the more "advanced" ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I would never go back and re-do my albums, unless something awful happened to them (God forbid). The albums are as much a memory to be saved as the photos that are in them. They are a reflection of who I was and what my style was at the time, and as someone else said, the products and techniques that were popular then (although I'm not a very "trendy" scrapbooker.) I have re-used photos, though, if they are really good and I want to do something different with them. I have learned to be happy with what I have done, and I know that my family will appreciate all of the albums I have made, not just the more "advanced" ones.
I agree with what Scrapjanny said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't think I would go back and redo mine either. Sure, some are definitely not my style, but I am years behind as it is anyway. Plus, when I look through them, I'm always looking at the photos and reading the journaling anyway. We sat down as a family a couple nights ago and looked at my kids' baby albums instead of reading books for our bedtime routine. Some of the early stuff is not my style now, but I didn't pay any attention to the papers, etc. It was all about the photos and journaling. It actually helped me realize even more that I don't need to do elaborate pages near as often. I enjoy the ones with just a little cardstock, photos, and journaling just as much. (Luckily, I never did the shaped photo thing or that would probably bother me enough to redo some.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I'm looking forward to re-doing my scrapbook pages! I look back at some I did 12-13 years ago (with stickers!) and have re-done some I just couldn't live with, know someday I'll re-do others, and somea are perfect as they are. Someday, when my grandkids are older, living far away and I'm not taking 10 rolls of film a week -- I can keep busy re-doing pages (heaven knows if I had to stop buying supplies right now I could still scrap for another several years just with the stash I have on hand!).

They are your scrapbooks, so you should feel free to re-do them as you like. Great artists were known to go back and paint over a canvas several times so the heck with preserving what your style was (that will come through in the photos years from now) -- you have to like them when you see them or share them so change them if you want to. One of my favorite features in older issues of CK was "your photo three ways" -- that's what I like about having my photos on disk -- I can print out a photo anytime and re-do it and have it in several different layouts, whichever I feel like doing at the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #15  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiEView Post
I don't think I would go back and redo mine either. Sure, some are definitely not my style, but I am years behind as it is anyway. Plus, when I look through them, I'm always looking at the photos and reading the journaling anyway. We sat down as a family a couple nights ago and looked at my kids' baby albums instead of reading books for our bedtime routine. Some of the early stuff is not my style now, but I didn't pay any attention to the papers, etc. It was all about the photos and journaling. It actually helped me realize even more that I don't need to do elaborate pages near as often. I enjoy the ones with just a little cardstock, photos, and journaling just as much. (Luckily, I never did the shaped photo thing or that would probably bother me enough to redo some.)
DITTO!! that's my style of scrapping!!!

it's about the pictures, not how heavy you can make the page!!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I have only redone my wedding album, and have no plans to re-do any other album, no matter how hideous it may be! I rushed my way through the wedding album, which I don't ever recommend anyone do. I put a time limit on myself, and towards the end I was SO tired of working on that album that I just threw things down. So I was never happy with it. I'm so glad I redid it, but I will never redo another album simply because it was done in an old style or anything. I enjoy looking back and seeing what was 'in' then. Plus, with my son's first two scrapbooks I stayed current on his pics. So, his scrapbook grew as he grew. So I can actually remember, "Awww, he woke up while I was working on this page, and I put him back to sleep on a blanket on the floor beside me!!" I get warm fuzzies looking at it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I want to redo my wedding album. It was the first thing I ever did and now it looks horrible even though then I used to show those layouts to all my friends proudly. I doubt that I will actually take that one apart and start over. i will probably make copies of all those pics and do a second one. Of course that is when i've caught up with the last 7 years of post wedding pics. My husband and I travel so much and take so many pics of those travels that I will never be done with what I want to scrap before I can redo my wedding album. I'm glad I found my simple style pretty quickly so I'm not that unhappy with majority of the layouts in the other books, but I wish I had decided to stick to just 8.5x11 books. Even though I can easily fill up a 12x12 page, I hate having to store those albums plus I need everything to look the same on my shelves and the mixture of album sizes causes me anxiety.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #18  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

My first scrapbook was of my wedding....Boy, I wish I hadn't done THAT! LOL!
That said...I've remade SEVERAL pages....NOT ALL, but just a few key ones.

There, for a while, I'd scrap about 4-5 pages a day. Now, I'm good to scrap 3 pages a YEAR! I have over 20 scrapbooks, filled, with over 50 pages each...And, I made 4 wedding scrapbooks for friends over the years. BTW, NONE of them are still married! So, I stopped doing THAT! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Never. First, I'm about 100 years behind on my pictures anyway, literally. Second, I just think it would be an incredible waste of time, and a disturbance of actual history, as it were.

I understand why others would want to. You must look at it like redecorating: Who wants to live with orange shag carpet? I guess since I don't look at them very often, they just don't offend my sensibilities.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't. I'm too lazy and tell myself it's part of my crafty history. And my family doesn't care about the craft part at all, just the photos and stories.

I am trying to make my current ones more timeless. Simple pages, not a lot of extra trendy stuff. That's part of why I love cardmaking, I can dump a ton of trendy stuff into a card and if it's not cool in 5 years no one cares, it's long gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I don't. I'm too lazy and tell myself it's part of my crafty history. And my family doesn't care about the craft part at all, just the photos and stories.

I am trying to make my current ones more timeless. Simple pages, not a lot of extra trendy stuff. That's part of why I love cardmaking, I can dump a ton of trendy stuff into a card and if it's not cool in 5 years no one cares, it's long gone.

OMW...you mean people are actually THROWING AWAY the cards I make them??!!! :(

Of course I am kidding. The only one who keeps them is my DS's Grandma!! That just made me laugh! I totally agree with what you posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

I wouldn't do this. First of all, I don't have the time to do all my current pages let alone re-do pages I have already done. And the old pages still have the focus on what I scrapped about in the first place: the photos and story. My style tends to be clean and simple when it comes to scrapping anyway. So no heavy embellishments or trendy styles. That way I can get more done and they won't seem dated later on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:49 PM   #23  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 613 Likes on 432 Posts

The thought never crossed my mind. I think the pages will be important to my kids someday. I like my early pages!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by markie's momView Post
My first scrapbook was of my wedding....Boy, I wish I hadn't done THAT! LOL!
That said...I've remade SEVERAL pages....NOT ALL, but just a few key ones.

There, for a while, I'd scrap about 4-5 pages a day. Now, I'm good to scrap 3 pages a YEAR! I have over 20 scrapbooks, filled, with over 50 pages each...And, I made 4 wedding scrapbooks for friends over the years. BTW, NONE of them are still married!So, I stopped doing THAT! LOL!
Gosh! Been there done that! It took quite a while to get all the photos, embellishments, paper, album etc to make a wedding album for a family member. About the time I was ready to finish it, I found out they were getting a divorce. What a waste of time and money. I agree with you. I won't make wedding albums anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have disassembled the albums I made 25-35 or more years ago using the "magnetic" albums. This includes my wedding album which I am part way through re-doing, and my parents' 25th anniversary album from 1975. I did this because of the damage to the pictures- which we didn't know about back then. The pictures of my kids (now 29 and 31!) will be put into new albums as I have time to make them.

I also took apart the tattered remains of my first album- the one I made for my mom when I was 8. It was done on that black paper with metallic photo corners and a white pencil for journaling. It was falling apart and by now the pictures are "heritage" and a part of the set of photos that are going into a family heritage album. The good news is that these 50 (or more) year old pictures are in much better shape than the ones from 25-35 years ago.

Albums I've made since then using archival materials will never get redone based both on available time (not enough!), too many new pictures (thousands!) and being satisfied with who I was then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with the ladies that said they would not redo their pages simply because when I first started I was so excited and spent hours and hours doing my books. I had such great memories from that time I would not want to change anything in the books. Sure they are not that great looking, but it was not about being great it was about perserving those memories.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I have disassembled the albums I made 25-35 or more years ago using the "magnetic" albums. This includes my wedding album which I am part way through re-doing, and my parents' 25th anniversary album from 1975. I did this because of the damage to the pictures- which we didn't know about back then. The pictures of my kids (now 29 and 31!) will be put into new albums as I have time to make them.

I also took apart the tattered remains of my first album- the one I made for my mom when I was 8. It was done on that black paper with metallic photo corners and a white pencil for journaling. It was falling apart and by now the pictures are "heritage" and a part of the set of photos that are going into a family heritage album. The good news is that these 50 (or more) year old pictures are in much better shape than the ones from 25-35 years ago.

Albums I've made since then using archival materials will never get redone based both on available time (not enough!), too many new pictures (thousands!) and being satisfied with who I was then.
Now, this is one reason that I would redo things (non-archival). Luckily, my kids scrapbooks are on archival cardstock. I did take all the photos out of the photo albums that my mom had them in (not scrapbooks). It's amazing how quickly the photos fade and deteriorate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2009, 05:26 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I've done it!!!

I was a HORRIBLE scrapper back then hee hee hee!!!
Reply With Quote Likes