Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #161  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanna put in my two cents and say that I'm not religious but I do appreciate all Christians who aren't pushy and don't verbally evangelize. I have a mom who used to be totally in my face with it - so much so that I have negative connotations with the word "Christian" because when I hear that word, I associate it with her and her evangelizing (though she is not as pushy to me now). I often forget that there are MUCH NICER Christians out there. Probably because you guys are relatively (as compared to my mom) quiet. <grin>

I also want to put in a good word especially for the Jehovah's Witnesses - I put a "go away" sign on my door and ever since, they have respected that! (Political campaigners and kids selling candy don't always obey the sign, but the Jehovah's Witnesses are great about it!)

About stamp sets - I usually detest any wordy sentiment that comes with a set and most sets have them. The wordier or sappier the sentiment, the more I hate it. I just usually buy the set anyway. I gave up a long time ago trying to find sets that only had image stamps. Sometimes I cut up the sentiment so I can use the individual words. Maybe string them along in a random order to make a background stamp. (er, this works well with clear stamps - might get messy with rubber)

edited to add:
I also appreciate all the card-giving Christians in my life who send me non-religious cards! And I love how my extraordinarily hard-core Christian fundamentalist sister goes out of her way to teach her kids NOT to harass me about religion!!

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 03-27-2011 at 08:11 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM   #162  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
Not just retired, there's current SU! ribbon in there too. Breaking a lot of rules!

How can you have your own store but you're selling SU! products?
And at quite an impressive markup too! Wow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #163  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
Oh yeah, lots of guilt re the Catholic Church but as you get older, if you're an independent thinker, you realize there's no basis in the guilt trip they try to lay on you. Not that it's a "bad" religion, just alot of ad libbing along the way and not necessarily based on anything in the Bible. By the way, when I was going to religious instructions 100 (not really) years ago, we didn't even HAVE a Bible. The only time I ever read or heard anything from the Bible was in Church on Sundays. I too like all people. Don't care what their religion is, don't care what color they are. If a person is a nice person, that's all I'm interested in. There's way too much hate in this world and unfortunately alot of people pass it on to their children and the cycle continues.
I didn't mean to infer the Catholic church was "bad"...just a little different than how I grew up...just wanted to clarify that.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #164  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Quote:

Oh yeah, lots of guilt re the Catholic Church but as you get older, if you're an independent thinker, you realize there's no basis in the guilt trip they try to lay on you. Not that it's a "bad" religion, just alot of ad libbing along the way and not necessarily based on anything in the Bible. By the way, when I was going to religious instructions 100 (not really) years ago, we didn't even HAVE a Bible. The only time I ever read or heard anything from the Bible was in Church on Sundays. I too like all people. Don't care what their religion is, don't care what color they are. If a person is a nice person, that's all I'm interested in. There's way too much hate in this world and unfortunately alot of people pass it on to their children and the cycle continues.
It definitely has a lot of guilt built in. But I was a semi-lapsed Catholic for a long time. I didn't become an atheist because of anger or disillusionment, but rather, careful thought.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #165  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean that I live my life the way I do because I fear hell, cuz I don't and I'm not goin there. For me religion is NOT a matter of fear. I live a good life and am a nice person (most of the time...don't ask my hubby, lol) because I want to be and because it's good and right and I want to make others happy not mad or sad (again, don't ask hubby, lol).
That's great! In no way did I mean to imply that all or even most Christians behave out of fear, just that I have seen some indicate they didn't think they could live a good life without a belief in God. That mystified me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #166  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I heard a saying once, that has stuck with me throughout the years. It says "I'd rather live my life believing there is a heaven, and finding out there isn't one when I die, than to live my life believing there isn't a heaven, and finding out there is one when I die, and not being able to get in."
I'm really not up to a discussion of Pascal's Wager, let's just say it's had its share of criticism through time. If you care to google it, I'm sure you'll see that. If you choose to live that bet, go for it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #167  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin WroseView Post
That's great! In no way did I mean to imply that all or even most Christians behave out of fear, just that I have seen some indicate they didn't think they could live a good life without a belief in God. That mystified me.
Was just pointing out my thoughts on it:-)

ETA: Because I most certainly don't think people who don't believe are bad people:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #168  

Quote:

Was just pointing out my thoughts on it:-)

ETA: Because I most certainly don't think people who don't believe are bad people:-)
I completely appreciate a respectful discussion. It's nice to have.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #169  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed reading this thread. It is always good to hear so many perspectives. Just a few comments to share. First, if I stopped shopping at places because I didn't like the music my teenagers would have no clothes! Second, people will buy singles stamps, I sold the santa-related stamps from deer friends with no problem. Finally, as far as pushy Christians go I'm reminded of a Christian song by Wayne Watson from the 80's when a lot of very visible TV preachers were behaving badly. The lyrics went something like this "That's not Jesus, he doesn't carry on that way. Just some flesh and blood like you and me somehow gone astray." I'm sorry for all those who misrepresent Jesus by their words, actions or lives. I'm also reminded of a tract once that said something like "just because your mother burnt the biscuits are you never going to eat again?" My hope for people who have a bad taste in their mouths from a bad experience with family, friends or a church that was a poor example of Christianity is that they won't give up on all just because of some.
Thanks to everyone for sharing. I really enjoyed hearing multiple ideas and views.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #170  

I just want to say that all of us ladies (and men...waves at Ted;-)) have kept this very respectful...way to keep it classy friends!

And a lot of it is a matter of perspective. We had a special singer at church today...guess he tours around the country..he was pretty good and pretty cool and he sang a "popular"/"secular" song by one of the members of Genesis (you know, not Phil Collins but the other one...come on, someone help me out here) and said to listen to the words as it was written for the songwriter's "girl" BUT it was a love song and could have easily been a hymn. I just found that very interesting...it's all how you look at things sometimes and I need to remember that on occasion:-) (So NOT just talking about religion here either, ya know!!!!)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #171  

Quote:

I just want to say that all of us ladies (and men...waves at Ted;-)) have kept this very respectful...way to keep it classy friends!

And a lot of it is a matter of perspective. We had a special singer at church today...guess he tours around the country..he was pretty good and pretty cool and he sang a "popular"/"secular" song by one of the members of Genesis (you know, not Phil Collins but the other one...come on, someone help me out here) and said to listen to the words as it was written for the songwriter's "girl" BUT it was a love song and could have easily been a hymn. I just found that very interesting...it's all how you look at things sometimes and I need to remember that on occasion:-) (So NOT just talking about religion here either, ya know!!!!)
Peter Gabriel?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #172  
Stazon Splitcoast

Members
Phil Collins
Tony Banks
Mike Rutherford

Past members
Peter Gabriel
Steve Hackett
Anthony Phillips
John Mayhew
John Silver
Chris Stewart
Ray Wilson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #173  

Quote:

Peter Gabriel?
YES! I think that's it:-) I am TERRIBLE with song names/artists...drives my hubby NUTS...which is why I didn't just yell "who was the guy who sang that song today" when I was writing earlier, lol!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #174  

And I'm a bit on the slow side today and never thought "hmmm...I'm at a computer...with a search box......."

Thank you ladies:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #175  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And I'm a bit on the slow side today and never thought "hmmm...I'm at a computer...with a search box......."

Thank you ladies:-)
No problem. I've had my share of "senior/blonde" moments lately, but the worst was when I was in a panic searching for my cell phone to make sure I hadn't missed a text from my son while on I was ON the phone with a friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #176  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
No problem. I've had my share of "senior/blonde" moments lately, but the worst was when I was in a panic searching for my cell phone to make sure I hadn't missed a text from my son while on I was ON the phone with a friend.
Totally something I would do...hehe!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #177  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I just want to thank you for acknowledging us guys, Minders!

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #178  

Quote:

Originally Posted by TedView Post
I just want to thank you for acknowledging us guys, Minders!
LOL, I do what I can:-) Thanks for the comment on my blog, I'll have to go visit yours later after I get the laundry done....must. go. do. laundry.....

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #179  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Ha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
I looked everywhere for my glasses when I had them on top of my head!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #180  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What an interesting thread! I've LOVED reading all of the comments and 'seeing' all of the different perspectives!

I have another perspective as well ~ coming from a business owner. Over the years The Angel Company has become what I eat, drink and breathe ... it just happens that way because this is my work, my hobby and such a HUGE part of my life. In essense ~ this is my lifes work right NOW. Because this is my lifes work it has become very personal to me ~ even more so when I realize what an impact I can have on the lives of others. That causes me to pause and question 'what do I want my life's work to be? to do? to be known for?'

I personally want to share products that can be used to encourage, uplift and bless others. I didn't realize HOW MUCH scripture I included in our sets until I went and looked at our home page this month! WOW! Almost every new set has a scripture included in it. I've flipped through some of our publications and also see quotes by Buddha, Ghandi, Mother Teresa. It's the sentiment, the verse, the quote that you're trying to capture to create a 'complete' stamp set. Although ... 'complete' to me is certainly not 'complete' to someone else! I do have a personal tendancy to place more scripture in our sets because that's what is closest to my heart.

And on a sidenote: I am a Christian but I don't want people to look at me and think that I'm a representation of Christianity. I'm ONLY a Christian because I'm so screwed up I need God to constantly be fixing me! Seriously! I'm a Christian for purely selfish reasons! And the more Christians you know ... the more you'll discover we're all kinda' screwy and just need the Lord! LOL!

So for me it comes down to what has been laid on my heart and what I want to give back ~ so to speak. I want to do everything I can to honor God with the blessings He has placed in my life. And I want HIM to be proud of me. That's ultimately most important to me. I'm not trying to offend others by any means ~ however ~ I have to be true to ME first!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #181  
Stampin' Fool

I think we're all here for a reason. My purpose is to help animals. That's why I'm here. No doubts or questions about it. Just as a sidenote, if there's an animal that needs help, it will find my house. I've seen animals bypass all of my neighbor's homes and turn right into our driveway. My first memory is of animals and I've been told by relatives there's no way I can remember the incident I'm remembering because I was 2 years old. I remember it and have a clear picture of it (Catskill Game Farm) in my head. There's a reason God put us here (yes I said the G word - lol) it's just a matter of finding out what it is.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #182  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Heart

Quote:

I think we're all here for a reason. ... There's a reason God put us here (yes I said the G word - lol) it's just a matter of finding out what it is.
And isn't life just more wonderful ~ EVERY SINGLE DAY ~ when you know what your purpose is! This is bliss! {and even in the storms ... it's still bliss}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #183  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Heart

Quote:

I think we're all here for a reason. My purpose is to help animals. That's why I'm here. No doubts or questions about it. Just as a sidenote, if there's an animal that needs help, it will find my house.

Love this. I'm a Dr. Doolittle type too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #184  
Stampin' Fool

Absolutely! I've always thought the kind of love I have for animals isn't your normal kind. I would, do anything to help an animal. Almost lost my job with the Federal Govt a few years ago because I went around and picked up about 300 glue traps that they put down to catch mice. Disgusting. They suffer so much that way and it's totally inhumane. I kept telling the women to just look at those cute little faces and maybe they wouldn't be so afraid of them. They didn't see it that way. When people noticed the glue traps were missing, the IRS put down more. So, I brought in baby powder and put it on the traps so the mice wouldn't get stuck on them. Next thing I know the Big shot manager is at my desk. They all knew who the animal person was so they came right to me. Didn't lie and told her yes it was me and if you have to kill mice at least be humane about it. I don't want a screaming mouse chewing off it's own leg under my desk! She didn't care about that. I worked there 13 years and for 13 years they had mice. I realize their droppings are a health issue but there was more bacteria elsewhere in the building than a mouse has. The ladies room was disgusting. If those germs didn't kill us, a mouse poses no problem - lol. The building has 3500 to 4000 employees and way too many of them are pigs. Anyway, the manager said they almost called
Hasmat because they didn't know if it was anthrax powder. I prayed a mouse wouldn't get caught under my desk but I had to stop trying to save them because I had one year and I was retiring early. They said one more time and I was fired. I needed the money.

People used to call me to try to catch the mice so they wouldn't get killed. I was able to catch one and brought her outside, sat down on the grass next to her and was petting her. She didn't even run away. Then I felt bad because I had separated her from her family but at least she was alive. There's beauty in everything. We just have to SEE it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #185  
Stampin' Fool

That's so funny Lydia because that's what they used to call me - lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #186  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glitter GypsyView Post
It's nice to find a kindred spirit. I could have written your post.

I do, however, sympathize with the OP about pushy family members. My aunt is the biggest "Bible-thumper" you could ever meet. She constantly quotes chapter and verse and evangelizes with great fervor. But I think she has probably turned many people off of Christianity because of her hypocritical behavior. She is judgmental, domineering and overbearing. She knows the Word but she does not put it into practice. I prefer to quietly wear my cross necklace and treat others with kindness, respect and acceptance regardless of their beliefs. Actions often speak much louder than words.
Do we have the same Aunty? I have one of those too! I try to treat her with kindness and forgiveness, as Jesus would, but sometimes.......she pushes me beyond my human limits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #187  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Mischelle Smith*View Post
What an interesting thread! I've LOVED reading all of the comments and 'seeing' all of the different perspectives!

I have another perspective as well ~ coming from a business owner. Over the years The Angel Company has become what I eat, drink and breathe ... it just happens that way because this is my work, my hobby and such a HUGE part of my life. In essense ~ this is my lifes work right NOW. Because this is my lifes work it has become very personal to me ~ even more so when I realize what an impact I can have on the lives of others. That causes me to pause and question 'what do I want my life's work to be? to do? to be known for?'

I personally want to share products that can be used to encourage, uplift and bless others. I didn't realize HOW MUCH scripture I included in our sets until I went and looked at our home page this month! WOW! Almost every new set has a scripture included in it. I've flipped through some of our publications and also see quotes by Buddha, Ghandi, Mother Teresa. It's the sentiment, the verse, the quote that you're trying to capture to create a 'complete' stamp set. Although ... 'complete' to me is certainly not 'complete' to someone else! I do have a personal tendancy to place more scripture in our sets because that's what is closest to my heart.

And on a sidenote: I am a Christian but I don't want people to look at me and think that I'm a representation of Christianity. I'm ONLY a Christian because I'm so screwed up I need God to constantly be fixing me! Seriously! I'm a Christian for purely selfish reasons! And the more Christians you know ... the more you'll discover we're all kinda' screwy and just need the Lord! LOL!

So for me it comes down to what has been laid on my heart and what I want to give back ~ so to speak. I want to do everything I can to honor God with the blessings He has placed in my life. And I want HIM to be proud of me. That's ultimately most important to me. I'm not trying to offend others by any means ~ however ~ I have to be true to ME first!
Beautifully said, Mischelle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #188  
Crimping Master

Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody FetteView Post
Does that mean Christians are not "normal"? Hmmm.
I caught that too and had to chuckle.:-D

Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #189  
Stampin' Fool

I have an Aunt who goes to Church every Sunday. She's the most evil person I know. We call her evil Aunt Rose when she's discussed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #190  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

...I'll send cards with random words for no reason...they brighten people's days!!! Am I a weirdo???? LOL!
This made me laugh. I don't like these "random" word stamps myself (nor do I like Religious sentiments), but I should start doing this. I think though that I will start sending cards with words like "hamper", or "grass", or maybe even "extension" just as a joke. I think it would be hilarious and confuse the heck out of my friends. :lol: :lol:

One thing I have observed from reading through this thread is that a lot of people equate being a Christian to being religious and vice versa. The two are vastly different in my opinion and that's why I'm not what I would call religious, but I am a Christian.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #191  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
This made me laugh. I don't like these "random" word stamps myself (nor do I like Religious sentiments), but I should start doing this. I think though that I will start sending cards with words like "hamper", or "grass", or maybe even "extension" just as a joke. I think it would be hilarious and confuse the heck out of my friends.

One thing I have observed from reading through this thread is that a lot of people equate being a Christian to being religious and vice versa. The two are vastly different in my opinion and that's why I'm not what I would call religious, but I am a Christian.
I guess I should have clarified the random words, lol! Things like "friends", "bliss", "fabulous", stuff like that...but your version would work too:-) And for some reason I read hamster at first instead of hamper, hahahaha!

And a lot of people also equate being nice and or a good person with being religious or Christian as well....you can have either one without the other I'm here to tell ya:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #192  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I guess I should have clarified the random words, lol! Things like "friends", "bliss", "fabulous", stuff like that...but your version would work too:-) And for some reason I read hamster at first instead of hamper, hahahaha!

And a lot of people also equate being nice and or a good person with being religious or Christian as well....you can have either one without the other I'm here to tell ya:-)
I think "hamster" would be even funnier! Especially if you had a stamp of something like a banana on the front. :razz:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #193  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Quote:

Absolutely! I've always thought the kind of love I have for animals isn't your normal kind. I would, do anything to help an animal. Almost lost my job with the Federal Govt a few years ago because I went around and picked up about 300 glue traps that they put down to catch mice. Disgusting. They suffer so much that way and it's totally inhumane. I kept telling the women to just look at those cute little faces and maybe they wouldn't be so afraid of them. They didn't see it that way. When people noticed the glue traps were missing, the IRS put down more. So, I brought in baby powder and put it on the traps so the mice wouldn't get stuck on them. Next thing I know the Big shot manager is at my desk. They all knew who the animal person was so they came right to me. Didn't lie and told her yes it was me and if you have to kill mice at least be humane about it. I don't want a screaming mouse chewing off it's own leg under my desk! She didn't care about that. I worked there 13 years and for 13 years they had mice. I realize their droppings are a health issue but there was more bacteria elsewhere in the building than a mouse has. The ladies room was disgusting. If those germs didn't kill us, a mouse poses no problem - lol. The building has 3500 to 4000 employees and way too many of them are pigs. Anyway, the manager said they almost called
Hasmat because they didn't know if it was anthrax powder. I prayed a mouse wouldn't get caught under my desk but I had to stop trying to save them because I had one year and I was retiring early. They said one more time and I was fired. I needed the money.

People used to call me to try to catch the mice so they wouldn't get killed. I was able to catch one and brought her outside, sat down on the grass next to her and was petting her. She didn't even run away. Then I felt bad because I had separated her from her family but at least she was alive. There's beauty in everything. We just have to SEE it.
You sound like such a kind person! I don't like to see things suffer either. Even the traps that kill instantly would be more humane. That's nice that you were able to save one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #194  
Stazon Splitcoast

One more comment...going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than eating at McDonalds makes you a hamburger. I love this statement...lol. My hubby says it.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #195  

Thanks to our chat here, I've decided that I *will* order SU!'s "Thoughts & Prayers" set on my next order - I LOVE those trees. But three of the sentiments are specific about praying for ... and I just don't pray. So, I will give those stamps to my sister, who enjoys a little stamping in her spare time. She will be able to use them.

So thank you to everyone for a thoughtful discussion.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #196  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I'm another who doesn't use religious sentiments - but I'm a wimp and sometimes will buy a set because I love the other images so much.

And when I manage to find a sympathy sentiment that isn't overtly religious, I am all over it like white on rice. Those are especially hard to find.My theory is if the owner of a company has strong beliefs and wants to show those beliefs thru the products they offer, that is their prerogative. It's mine to not buy those products if I won't use them.

I have friends who are Christian and friends who are not. I bought a used SU set on ebay with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson that I use a lot, especially on sympathy cards. It seems appropriate for most. "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #197  
Crimping Master

I'm one of those that won't buy a set because it's too religious. I'm frequently asked for sympathy cards, but people nowadays offend too easily and I wouldn't want to add some sort of verse or something. So I'd love it, say, a religious set with images and sentiments would sell the images apart in some sort of mini set as an option for people who are not interested in the sentiments that come with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #198  

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianneB1030View Post
I have friends who are Christian and friends who are not. I bought a used SU set on ebay with a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson that I use a lot, especially on sympathy cards. It seems appropriate for most. "All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.
Well.... supposedly about 10% or so of Americans are atheists....

I got the "Just Believe" set, yet I will never use the sentiment: "Some things have to be believed to be seen." For me, that's just faulty thinking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #199  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
One more comment...going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than eating at McDonalds makes you a hamburger. I love this statement...lol. My hubby says it.
blessings.
Love this saying because it is so true. There are many church-goers who claim to be Christians but certainly do NOT act that way. I do go to church and, for the most part, I love going (except when a certain organist is playing waaaaayyyyy too slowly;)).
BUT I do believe it is more important to live my faith by being kind and helping others and showing them, through my actions, what Jesus would do. Now, having said that...I fail and often...but I continue to try to live as He would want me to. I know there are so many people who live a good and kind life without religion or God. I'm so glad that you live life that way. For me, I need Jesus, because (as a previous poster said) I screw up and He is my forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #200  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Well.... supposedly about 10% or so of Americans are atheists....

I got the "Just Believe" set, yet I will never use the sentiment: "Some things have to be believed to be seen." For me, that's just faulty thinking.
LMAO Yeah that doesn't make sense to me too *laughs*

I would be what people call an atheist, and at least slightly agnostic won't-believe-it-till-proven-to-be-true type, and I appreciate when I can buy a stamp set without having them sneakily put a Christian stamp in there. No biggie if they have stamp sets that are for Christian stampers but I think for all the other people who aren't, it might be like :confused: or even :mad: because I probably would have paid $2 for that piece of stamp I don't want in the set LOL.

That said of course I have Christian and non-Christian friends. Some Christian people I know are very lovely and I am sure there are a lot of ladies here who fall in that category, but there are also some + Catholics who are one of the nastiest people I ever know! I also went to a convent school.. LOL one of the worst places ever, so no, no Bible sayings for me personally please lmao! I would appreciate if stamp companies realised that people who enjoy their stamps may not be Christian and getting a, say, generic Valentines stamp set but having to get some sayings along with it may appeal to their pockets!
Reply With Quote Likes