Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all your suggestion!!!
I fee like I must be retarded or just a dork!!!

Ok...I have an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of CS...I want to make an A2 card...Easy...right?

Well I line up my paper and cut at (lets say this will be reg. not portrait style) 5 1/2...Easy right? So now I SHOULD have to pieces EXACTLY the same size for TWO A2 size cards...Right? Ya with me so far?

(USE the same illustration above with a perfect sized 12 x 12 piece of paper and I try cutting it at EXACTLY 6in...same problem...two different sizes!!! AAARRRGGHHH)

So why do the two pieces not line up...one is ALWAYS about 1/16 - 1/8 wider than the other??? HUGH? What??? I MADE sure I line up right at 5 1/2 and I cut straight. it is pretty "squared"

I have several trimmers...you name it (MM, Provo Craft, Tonic 12in guill. Tonic 6in guill. Tonic 9 in guil. Tonic V blade trimmer, about 10 different Fiskars, the Martha Stewart one...several rotary ones...I have them all except for the genesis)

So I guess I am "Cutting Challenged" So here is a dumb question for you...How do you measure the paper when lining up to cut?...Do you cover the marked line?...do you place it where you can barely see the edge of the marked line?, or do you place it just to the right of the marked line?

I sat down with my 12in Tonic and "CUT" a WHOLE PACK of CS to have ready and on hand. They are all different widths...I took my time and lined up...what I thought was exactly...

OK...seriously...am I the only one?...I have been crafting for 20+ yrs and I STILL can't this??? I definitely must me retarded!!!

Blessings,
Valerie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Valerie, I feel your pain.

First, I've found that not all cardstock is actually the dimensions they say it is on the label. The paper can be "off" and the measurements not exact. Sometimes it's not you, or the trimmer. It's the paper.

I have a Making Memories cutter and like it a lot. It's the only trimmer I use, so my cuts should be consistent. I line up my paper to the right of the measurement line on the base of my trimmer, so I can see the line. I tend to be a precise person, and I cut with care.

I use white cardstock for my card bases, and have a brand I like from Sam's that says it is 8-1/2 x 11, standard size. So, if I cut it in half, at 5-1/2, I should have 2 card bases the same size. When folded it should be 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, right? Wrong. Usually, one of the pieces turns out to be a tad longer than 5-1/2 after I cut it.

So when I attach my cardfront, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, which I have carefully cut from another kind of cardstock, invariably part of the white hangs out along the edge of one of the pieces.

I've resigned myself that this happens with different brands of paper, and keep my Cutterbee scissors handy to just trim off the edges.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dory01View Post
When I began paper crafting I had the same frustration and I don't think there is anything MORE frustrating than crooked cut's!!!!!
I was fortunate enough to have met a wonderfully gifted seasoned card maker as I was just getting started and when I told her about my paper cutting issue's she showed me her saving grace......it's called the Genesis 16" trimmer with edgelight!!!!!!!! This is a professional paper cutter that wasn't even developed for paper crafters but has developed a loyal following for sure!!!!! It is really expensive but worth every penny! I am no longer having any more problems with crooked cut's.....never....what-so-ever and I am a very happy camper. By the time I had been made aware of the Genesis trimmer I had already bought 2 differen't paper cutter's and still having the same crooked problem's. I can assure you...you will LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Like I have said it is very expensive but well worth saving for!
Here is the name of the website to purchase it from Welcome
Very nice company, very nice customer service with very fast shipping.
390$?!? No, thanks.

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my Evolving Images Perfect Layering Tool...I've had it for several years and it is wonderful for any size layer!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree completely with buggainok, very often the card is NOT precisely the dimension it should be. That is nearly always the case, in fact. I would say measure it for yourself,( along both long sides, it may be 'off' more one side than the other) put a pencil dot at the midpoint on each side, then line the dots on the edge of your trimmer- or, use a steel edged ruler & scalpel to cut. This is my preferred method.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #46  
Kookie Creator

I use cuttlepede. The ruler at the side is foldable which makes it portable and light weight. I only use this cutter for the basecard and image or sentiment layer. The layer that the image is placed onto is cut using a penknife and ruler with protection plastic so that I don't cut my fingers. As to cutting right size for the layering it is better that you look at the piece from direct top. Slightly slanting angle can distort the view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Don't feel bad "Jeffnval"...I've had same problems ..and when I go to fold the card in half (even after scoring it!! in the middle)...there is most always one side wider than the other..just a "smidge" but enough to just tick me off...hahahaha....

My other problem is I can NEVER get the layerering piece down STRAIGHT onto the cardbase!!??? HARD as I try (without measuring that is) it always is crooked..either across the top or on the sides..UGH....if anyone has a suggestion for helping me out with that, I'd appreciate ANY suggestions!! Thanks....

Have a great day ALL....
Reply With Quote Likes