Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions from a newbie

I can design cards with no problem, or CASE if I have a block, but I have actual "construction" questions.

1. What kind of adhesive do you use? Double stick tape? Glue dots? Glue?

2. What if your base card stock is black or a dark color, do you put (glue/tape) a white piece of paper on the inside to write your greeting on?

3. What do you do about envelopes? I have patterns for small envelopes for my smaller cards, but I don't want to have to buy large sheets of paper for my larger cards, what do you do?

4. My hands shake a lot so getting a perfect stamp is never going to happen for me so I have someone stamp for me on a white sheet of paper (usually several different colors), then I scan it and print it out on my paper or cardstock for my cards. Is that wrong?

5. What is the size for a standard card?

That is all I can think of for now, your answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

1. I use mono, but I hear a lot of good things about the ATG gun.
2. Sometimes I use a wgite pen to write and other times I do put a piece of ww in there to stamp or write on.
3. I just use SU envelopes, so I can't help you there.
4. Hmm..I think that some (maybe most) companies don't allow you to scan their images, but I am NOT an expert, so I am not sure!
5. Standard cards are 4.25 by 5.5, I believe.

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I use double stick tape by Duck for paper layers and glue dots for bumpy embellishments.

2. What if your base card stock is black or a dark color, do you put (glue/tape) a white piece of paper on the inside to write your greeting on?
If I want a dark base, I'll often start with a white card and then just layer a full-front dark piece of cardstock on top of that. (Leaving the inside white).

3. What do you do about envelopes? I have patterns for small envelopes for my smaller cards, but I don't want to have to buy large sheets of paper for my larger cards, what do you do?
I make the majority of my cards A2 size and buy white invitation envelopes at Wal-Mart. For larger cards, I do have some envie templates so I use my extra 12x12 ugly scrapbook paper. I just turn it so that the blank white backside becomes the outside of the envelope and the ugly pattern stays on the inside.
You can also sometimes buy larger size envies from a card store. If it's locally owned, they usually only have to send back the cards at the end of the season and keep all the envelopes.

4. My hands shake a lot so getting a perfect stamp is never going to happen for me so I have someone stamp for me on a white sheet of paper (usually several different colors), then I scan it and print it out on my paper or cardstock for my cards. Is that wrong?
If you were selling your cards, then yeah.... a BIG no-no. But if they're all for your personal use.... I'd say go for it. There's also a new tool out by Fiskars called the Stampress that helps with stamping. Stampress Info

As said above, 4.25x5.5 which is called an A2.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

The kind of adhesive I use really depends on the application -- double-stick tape is one of my favorites, and for things that need a super-stick (like multiple layers onto a card-base) I often use double-sided carpet tape from the hardware store. It has a peel-off backing that makes it handy for envelopes, too, if you're into making your own and don't need to seal them right away. I also love glue dots and glue lines -- the lines are great for times when you need just a *little* lift for a layer, as in running a ribbon between layers, so you don't wind up with an unsightly bump where the ribbon is. My current general favorite is the liquid Mono Multi in the green and white bottle -- a little goes a long way, and it gives a bit of adjustment time when you need it. The others I mentioned are pretty much instant-stick, so if I don't hit it right the first time, I'm sunk. :(

As others have said, most stamp companies expressly prohibit mechanical reproduction, as in scanning of the stamped images. However, if you contacted them and explained your situation, you could probably get permission to do so -- for non-commercial purposes. There are other possibilities, though -- the Fiskars tool already mentioned is intended for polymer/clear stamps, I believe. There is also a tool for wood-mounted stamps, called the Stamp Rig -- you essentially attach the stamp to a hinged plate and close the plate to stamp. The neat thing is that it allows exact placement of your image, so if you don't get a complete stamping the first time, you can re-ink and over-stamp in exactly the same place. You can also do repeat stampings if you're making 200 wedding invitations or a squillion holiday cards. I have one that I bought a long time ago, and never used. It needs to find a good home where it will be loved and used -- PM me if you're interested.

Aside from the standard A2 (which uses a half-sheet of 8.5 x 11" stock), my most-used size is the 'tall' card that fits a standard #10 business envelope that can be found most anyplace. I make mine 4 x 9" folded, so there are some scraps left from a full sheet of stock, but I don't mind scraps. I also like to make what I call 'small tall' cards -- to fit in the small business size envleopes that are also everywhere. I make those 3 x 6" folded, so I still have scraps, unless I'm using 12 x 12" stock and get 4 out of a sheet.

HTH and best of luck to you with your stamping -- it's a great hobby! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I use double sided clear tape that I pick up at my dollar store. It's great!!!
I use dark colours to make my cards and then add a piece of white or cream to the inside to write on.
Buy them at Staples.

Not sure, but I think this is frowned upon by stamping companies.
5. What is the size for a standard card? 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 for me.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampathyView Post
I can design cards with no problem, or CASE if I have a block, but I have actual "construction" questions.

That is all I can think of for now, your answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!
1. See if your library has a copy of my book, The Complete Guide to Glues & Adhesives...it has detailed explanations of the different types of adhesives, including when and how to use them.

2. White and metallic pens do the job on dark colored papers...or adhere a light color paper to the dark paper.

3 and 5. The size of the envelope is determined by the size of the card, and it isn't a necessity that a card is a traditional size. There are several envelope templates which can be adjusted for non-traditional sized cards. Many Hallmark stores will give away the envelopes of discontinued cards...for the asking. Card departments in stores often do this too.

4. In almost every case, stamp companies forbid the copying of their images
by either mechanical or electronic methods. Due to this restriction, it would not be wise for you to use scanned images in a published format (magazine, book, internet site, internet gallery, etc.). Try this technique to stamp...it may eliminate the need for scanning: Sit at a table. Place the stamp, die up, on the table. With your forearms resting on the table, pat the pad on the die until it is evenly coated with a thin coat of ink. With your forearms still on the table, place the paper on the die in the desired placement. Burnish the back of the paper to transfer the ink from the die to the paper. Lift the paper; air dry, heat set or thermal emboss the image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to score card stock without a scoring tool. All I have is a bone folder. Do I need to buy a scoring tool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgatesView Post
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to score card stock without a scoring tool. All I have is a bone folder. Do I need to buy a scoring tool?
Depends upon the thickness of the bone folder. I use several tools for scoring: Clover Needlecraft Finger Presser; Clover Needlecraft Hera Marker; Dritz Point Turner; edge of a plastic charge card; 'dead' ball point pen.

I use my quilting and sewing tools (Clover Needlecraft, Dritz, Collins, etc.) for paper crafts all the time...in fact, I don't even own a bone folder! Don't own a paper cutter either...my trusty rotary cutters are faster, more accurate and store easily in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink Questions from a Newbie

I'm with Sue................give me my double stick tape. Sooooooooo much faster than all those runners & stuff............IMO. I do use glue dots on bumpy stuff or bows. Ribbons (straight) I put through my little Xyron.

I buy my envelopes from where I retired.........printing company. A2 for the regular cards........4.5X5.5

Welcome to stamping and good luck. This is a great place to get answers.

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops, forgot...........you don't necessarily have to score. Most of the time I just fold my cs and go with it. Press with my hand. Don't even use a bone folder which I don't own & won't wast money on. Use to use one at work. Works for me.

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I also only have a bone folder (SU!) and I use it to score with no problems. I just lay a stiff acrylic ruler where I want to score and run the point of the bone folder along the ruler's edge. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I used my bone folder to score for years until it got dull and the score line became wider than I liked. A bone folder that is actually made of bone can be sharpened with an emery board or sandpaper -- but I never really liked the results. I switched to an embossing stylus (smallest end) because I had a couple just sitting around doing nothing else useful. ;) If you don't have anything similar -- try a butter knife! All you need is a smooth edge that's relatively thin and will mark a line withough cutting the paper. Look around your house and at other craft supplies, as Nancy suggested. The old credit card edge is a great idea, BTW! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes