Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for home demonstrators

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Stampin Up! I just had a demo party on Friday night and when it was all over - I was left with the distinct impression that I could be a demonstrator. This would be a huge step for me and I would like to hear some honest feedback on the pros and cons of being a demonstrator for them. I did view the website regarding "joining" Stampin Up! but of course that was more of a sales pitch than a frank discussion.

So can you help me? What are the fun parts? What are the not-so-fun parts? If you were a demo for SU or another company and got out, why?

Thanks in advance,
Lois
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, Lois -

I'm a "hobby" demo. I've always managed to make my $100/month $300/quarter minimums, but mainly because I wanted stuff for myself! The demo discount is why I signed up. I didn't expect to stick it out this long, I'll admit! Now, my paying job has been cut to 1/2 time and I'll be retiring completing next year, so I'm kind of in limbo, but I want to hang on as long as I can, because I love Stampin' Up.

For the past year I've been holding monthly card classes, where I prepare 3 cards and bring all the supplies and tools. I only charge $5, which I know isn't enough to cover my time -- but it's kind of a social thing, and I use up "stuff." But kind of a side benefit is that now a few of my ladies are ordering every so often. The orders have slowly been coming more regularly, so I'm hoping I can continue as a demo after I can no longer afford to make my own minimums.

Right now is a GREAT time to join because of the Short & Sweet special....but you need to act fast. Personally, I recommend it. I got to go to convention once - that was a lot of fun - and maybe I'll get to go again some day. I'll never earn a fancy cruise or anything, but that's OK. I've got a great group of about 10 ladies that I really like, and since I live way out in the country and don't socialize a lot, our card class gives me friends that I enjoy.

Not sure if this is any help or not...but I'm glad I joined, even though I was real hesitant at first since I've never been a very good "salesman" and don't enjoy "selling" stuff to people.

Good luck either way!
Wilma
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well from my perspective as a demo of 2 years now:

Pros:
- 30% off your first order or workshop over $150 within 45 days
- 20% off all purchases after that as long as you stay active
- customer service from SU is excellent. they will make things right, even sometimes when it's been my mistake.
- resources - if you want to make a business and do classes, workshops, events, sales, etc. then there's resources through SCS here (entire demo forums), SU has a messageboard for demos, there's a demo website that has tons of videos, articles, bi-monthly mailed demo magazines, FAQ, etc. You can CASE ideas you see so you don't have to come up with things on your own.
- fun way to meet new people and a good hobby...swapping with other demos, participating in SU design teams or contests, or just creating new content for your blog
- catalog frequency helps - you're required to sell/buy $300 each quarter - between sale-a-bration, the occasions catalog, the annual catalog release, and the holiday catalog, plus monthly photopolymer releases and promotions, plus the clearance rack, it's easy to have a lengthy wishlist.
- you're out nothing if you decide you don't like it. you can get your starter kit and keep it, and never do anything further again if you don't want to.
-

Cons:
- If you're in an area saturated with demonstrators, it can be difficult to find a niche. or it may be difficult to find customers that want to host if you're not able to have events in your home.
- You may have a long wishlist so if you have poor impulse control plus a discount, your craft room may fill up fast. ;)
- If you want to do it as a business and build a customer base, it can take a time commitment. you want to be consistent in having events, getting catalogs out timely, responding to questions, crafting, using social media if you want to go that route, etc. but that comes with any activity as far as finding work-life balance and good time management skills.
- you want a good upline. someone who will take time to answer questions, perhaps a willingness to lend you supplies if needed, and perhaps is running a similar type of business (for example, if your upline only does local events, she may not be able to help you if you want to do online videos and Facebook business).

please feel free to message me or post any questions! there's lots of us here to help, and i know people here helped me out with my questions before i jumped in 2 years ago (ok, 2 years and 24 days - I joined August 1!) so i'm happy to pay it forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

oh yes, the events! Wilma mentioned Convention, and I've gone 2 years now and it was a blast. Plus your upline, if local, may have meetings you can attend to meet other stampers and learn business tips, plus swap cards. Otherwise there are occasionally regionally located events you can attend. and if not, there's always SU webinars you can join in on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I agree with what Makalah said. It really is whatever you want it to be. I am a demo for my friends. We meet every other month or so, and I basically get to stamp for free. (Well, close anyway!) I am not what I would call a "salesperson," so my business is small. You can definitely make it more if you are willing to put the time and effort into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

There is also an awesome demonstrator only forum here that you can join if you sign up. Everyone is very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Try it on for size, if you find it's not for you you just stop, if you like it wonderful! I have demo friends all over the US because of SU!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

It seems they offer alot of incentives to join. Just curious, why they do?--I'm not trying to be
snarky.
I have been considering joining, I just want to be confident the company is doing well.

Last edited by scatty; 08-26-2014 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

It's extra incentive for people to join, especially if you're on the fence and makes it an even better deal.

The company is doing fine. Last year was their 25 year anniversary and they talk about how they don't carry debt. The new partnership with Becky Higgins for Project Life by Stampin' Up has attracted many people who were burned out on traditional scrapbooking too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
It's extra incentive for people to join, especially if you're on the fence and makes it an even better deal.

The company is doing fine. Last year was their 25 year anniversary and they talk about how they don't carry debt. The new partnership with Becky Higgins for Project Life by Stampin' Up has attracted many people who were burned out on traditional scrapbooking too.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Direct Sale companies are always looking for new people, so they all have great deals to get people to sign on. Like Makalah said the company, SU!, is very healthy and not in debt.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes