Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-09-2004, 05:34 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about timing of being a demo?

Hi everyone!

I hope you aren't sick of answering this type of question.

I am hostessing my first party, but I love SU and am seriously considering becoming a demo. I am an Air Force wife, so I wonder if anyone else has experience with having to move every couple of years while trying to do this?

Also, is there a best time to sign up to be a demo in correlation to hostessing a party? Any advantages to doing it then or later?

I am also trying to think of ways to biuld my business if I do decide to do this. Would it be tacky to give out halloween treats with an email address to contact me if you were interested in learning more about stampin?

TIA
Vanessa (newly addicted to this site!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:50 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Questions about timing of being a demo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I am hostessing my first party, but I love SU and am seriously considering becoming a demo. I am an Air Force wife, so I wonder if anyone else has experience with having to move every couple of years while trying to do this?

Also, is there a best time to sign up to be a demo in correlation to hostessing a party? Any advantages to doing it then or later?

I am also trying to think of ways to biuld my business if I do decide to do this. Would it be tacky to give out halloween treats with an email address to contact me if you were interested in learning more about stampin?

TIA
Vanessa (newly addicted to this site!)
1. Experienced with moving 2x during my 7 years. A lot depends on the location to where you move and the demographics of the area. Can it be done succesfully? Sure; depends on you and your willingness to jump back in and re-market yourself and build a reputation in a new area. Also depends on saturation...

2. At this time, I don't think there are any special incentives offered for signing on; whether you do it at your party or a week later makes no difference.

3. Takcy? No. Effective? I can't say for sure, but my gut instincts say "no". I really think personal contacts are a better way to invest your time and effort. In my neighborhood, I get a lot of middle school/teenage treaters ... they would just toss the stuff and no adult would ever see the biz info ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 05:52 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

The sooner you sign up, the sooner you get enjoy your demo discount as you build up your supplies! There is no bad time to sign up!

As far as the party that you are hosting (for your prospective upline?), if the people that you inviting will be your only customers, you may want to wait until you are closer to having another party to sign up. Your first hostess order gets a 30% discount, which gives you a good chance to pay for your kit and/or buy more of the supplies that you will need right away. If you have other people in mind as customers, then this doesn't matter.

Hope that helps,
Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

There aren't any sign up incentives at this time. I waited last year until January so I could take advantage of the Celebration (I think that is what it was called) promotion. I received a free stamp set AND I did not need to make my minimum sales amount until the end of June! Once a quarter has started you are not held to the minimum sales until you've been a demo for a full quarter. By signing up towards the beginning of a quarter it stretches out the amount of time you have to get your business up and running.

Of course, it's hard to wait that long. You'll sign up when its best for you!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 06:25 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Michelle-
That info about the quarter definitely helps.

Jennifer-
I don't know if I will use her as my upline or not. I know that she is moving shortly. I am going to see how she does her party and how we click. I had a demo back home that I loved who I might use as my upline if the person won't be living by me anyways, KWIM?

JulieHRR-
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I was remembering my mom picking through my candy to check for problems and imagining her seeing something so cool that she would have to pull it out. My last neighborhood was brand new construction, and I think the oldest kids were 6 or 7. I have no idea who will come to my door this year, though.

Vanessa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:21 AM   #6  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Vanessa, I too am thinking about becoming a demo (everyone know that already!! ) So if I signed up in October, I would have till when to get my start?? Just trying to figure it out so want to get in the Sell A Bration time because my sister in law has awesome parties (usually $700 at least last one was over $1,000) and I know my upline would let me have her party, but she waits till the Sell A Bration time so people want to order more for the free sets
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Kar - you don't HAVE to have sales until the next full quarter. I signed up in July, so I had July/Aug/Sept with no "required" minimum.

My "real" quarter starts in October..which is when I'm having my first workshop!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:39 AM   #8  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hmmmm so IF I signed up in October ;) I wouldn't have to have my $300 in sales till the end of December or end of March... confusing day today.. hehehhe
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

If you sign up in October, the first quarter to meet the minimum $300 is Jan/Feb/March.

But remember -- you might also want to meet the Stampin' Start goal that gets you 2 free stamp sets if you have $1500 in sales in your first 3 months. And another 2 free sets for 1 recurit in that time.

Here's the Stampin' Start time frame:
The three-month period begins on the first day following the last business day of the month in which Stampin’ Up! processes your Independent Demonstrator Agreement and ends on the last business day of the third month. However, any sales you make or recruits you sign before that time also count towards the Stampin’ Start incentives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2004, 07:16 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Vanessa!

What I tell my downline is to wait and send your kit info in so that it arrives at the SU office about the second of the month. SU gives you 3 FULL months to make your $1,500 for Stampin' Start.

So if you have your kit info to them on the 2nd of Oct. you have all of Oct. free, Nov. Dec. and Jan. to make your stampin' start. The fall is always a good time because of the holidays and you will also be in the first month of Sell-a-Bration. Perfect timing!

If you make your stampin' start, you get to choose any two sets out of any book FREE. Plus if you get it before Dec. you will get 1,000 great reward points, and most of those awards are valued at $20+

Think BIG girlfriend, not just your min. requirement.

About your fist workshop. Here's what I tell my girls. Have it be a big stamp camp that you are the hostess and also the demonstrator. You will get 30% instant income for being the demonstrator (one time only), and the sales will go towards your $1,500. You will also be the hostess which means you will get all the free stuff. I tell my girls to buy big at this stamp camp because you will benefit all the way around.

Offer some great purchase specials and also great booking specials. You will need to be pretty generous to start with but it will all work out. I would offer this stamp camp FREE but make the specials too good to pass up. Make three projects at least and have goodies and such.

About the goodies bags and school, DO IT! You can do it low key, stamp the back or bottom with one of our hand stamped stamps in versamark so it's not too loud. Then put your first and last name. I don't think I would put an email, but if the parent is interested, they will ask about you to the teacher or students.

Another thing I do... I am in charge of the staff appreciation luncheon that our PTO puts on. Every year I make some cute stuff and donate it to be given away at the luncheon. All the teachers know I do stampin' up!

PHEW!!! That was long winded. Sorry.

My husband's favorite saying "Go BIG or Go Home!! YOU CAN DO IT! If you have any questions please feel free to email me.
Reply With Quote Likes