Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for SU demos

Over the last few years, I attended several parties with one particular demo whom I loved. She would walk us through her sample project, then let us use those tools/supplies to make our own version of the project. She didn't mind if you wanted to change it up from what she had done.

A few weeks ago, I attended a party with a different demo, and she implied that we should be making exactly what she made. She didn't seem open to letting folks use the supplies/tools in any other way. I actually put one of my cards away before she noticed that I changed things-- I just really had the impression that she wouldn't like it. (Maybe that's not true, it was just my feeling from comments she made.) She "corrected" another lady's card, also. I really didn't care for that.

Is either method "right" per SU? I'd like to host a workshop at my house in January, and I really prefer the more laid-back, do your own thing, kind of demo. Unfortunately, the original demo that I liked so much is retired. But it did kind of get me to wondering if having everyone copy the same project is how most SU demos prefer to do things?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am a demo, but don't do workshops. I think you will find that this will vary from demo to demo. You might look at the demo locator for a demo close to you and email them to see if they have any events coming up that you might attend. Then you could find someone whose style works for you, make sense?

ETA: Stamping to me as a whole is about creativity. I understand why a demo would want you to learn techniques a specific way, or the correct way to use tools, but I also identify with your desire to change things up a bit. It is, after all, your masterpiece!

Last edited by steubner; 11-28-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: added another thought
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I always encourage people make changes as they wish. Now I do precut my supplies so if someone wanted to stamp on a circle layer instead of a square they'd be out of luck (unless they could freehand it), but I have not problem with people putting things at different spots on a a card, using the other side of designer series paper, etc.

If you did feel comfortable with the demo I would look up another one on the demo locator, and ask how she feels about the more loose approach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I am a hobby demo and don't hold many workshops. With that being said when I do have a workshop I have a "completed" card and then walk the ladies through the steps. I encourage my group to be creative and switch things up. My thinking is that customers won't buy what they can't see themselves using. I wouldn't want to stifle anyone's creativity or ideas, and everyone's tastes are different. I have some women who are oozing with creativity, while others are more intimidated by the process and like having my card to copy.

Everyone runs their workshops differently, however, this is what I have found to work for me. Find a demo you're comfortable with. Maybe try asking her (before you book a workshop) if she encourages her customers to use her examples as inspiration or if she expects those to be duplicated? She may have a different perspective and is unaware of making anyone uncomfortable. Good luck in whatever you decide! :-D
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Amy,
SU! does not really dictate a wrong or right way. I think it was just the demos way of doing things - which I don't agree with. I am totally on board with people making the project their own by allowing them to switch color or placement or sentiment. If I have the materials with me for them to do that, go for it!!

Definitely do not book your party with this demo if you are not comfortable with her style of class. I'm sure that there are plenty of demos in your area that would love to share their talents with you!

Best of luck!!
Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I would want the guests to feel free to change things up a bit (of course within the materials given) - being creative is so much of the fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no "correct" or "right" method.

However, I will say that . . .

Sometimes, people just get so caught up, at that time, in "doing their own thing", that they don't realize they are indeed affecting others . . .

As a class participant myself, if it's that important that my project be different from the prototype, then I take the supplies home and do my own thing there; otherwise, out of courtesy to the rest of the participants, I duplicate the project as specified so we can all move along in a timely fashion. ;)

This is different, of course, from an in depth class where a very customized/personalized project is the expected outcome, and each student has their own set of equipment and supplies to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

As a demo, I'm inspiring creativity (I hope!) However, I think I can understand the second demo. If she put a lot of work into designing her project, she probably wanted it copied. If I'm at someone's else home for the workshop, I only allow creativity within the materials I have brought for that project. For example, I won't let them use the materials for the second project on the first project.
You can let this new demo know your desires or find another demo. The two of you should be a team!
And I totally agree with JulieHRR!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Like the others said, I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way...each demo has her own style.

I would see nothing wrong with letting my customers make changes to the cards we're making as long as they could do so by using the materials I have provided. The girls in my stamp club do this all the time!

She may not have realized how she came across.....

I agree though that if you don't feel like you "mesh" well with this demo, there's nothing wrong with finding another...

:-)
Traci
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 591 Likes on 243 Posts

Explain your wishes for your workshop to the demo exactly like you just told it here. Most demos, I hope, would be happy to bring some different greetings and some cs scraps to allow "customization." I tell people that my feelings won't be hurt if they change my design. Most new stampers follow a sample EXACTLY and more seasoned stampers want to put their own spin on things. If it's something major that someone wants to change such as the whole color scheme or the stamp set, that is not possible unless it is a really small group and I can get the right supplies. Most guests understand that I can't bring the whole world to the workshop and that a card they make there can certainly be used a springboard for more designs and color schemes when they are making cards at home. Have a great open house!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

well my demo is inbetween what the OP demo's are. at my last party she had one card for us all to do and all she did was have was have teh neutral CS cut and score along with either a blue cs or a pink. once we had those things she gave us creative freedom to use what ver sets we wanted and other colors, so i ended up doing mine with wild ros instead of all about u becasue i prefer tahtlook. she also showed us some mere advanced cards one was actually like a pockey photo book , the other had three layers or card frap thingys both she gave to me (the hostess) to finnish to my liking.

But my old demo was totally different she gave up ink, cs scraps and sets and let up go at it. And to be honest i didnt really enjoy that free for all and was kinda glaad when she had to quit SU due to financial reasons.

Now this is just my personal preferance. If you were looking for a good demo in your area to be your upline , make sure you like them and their styles, cuz it woud be no fun to have a upline you cant stand.

Just my 2 cents

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Unfortunately, she sounds a little like me. I am a demo, but dont do parties, but I can probably tell you that she takes it personally when you change what she has done. She is probably insulted, because she thinks that you dont like what she created. It doesnt make it right, but I am sure this is what this is, atleast I think it is. For she and I both, it is unfortunate, because we seek approval from others for what we are doing, and when someone doesnt praise us or want to copy us, we fell rejected, like we are not good enough. I think you should be able to do what you want with the project, because that is what it is all about, but some people have a hard time letting go. I have to work on it everyday, cause it will make you nuts if you dont. I may be totally wrong, but this was what came to mind when I read your situation. I did one party when I first started, and I never said that they had to, but I guess I just expected them to copy me completely, of course, I have no idea if they did or not, thank god, cause I would probably still be nuts over it!!
I do agree with what the others said though, if you are not happy with her, dont stay with her. You need to find a demo who suits your personal needs!! Someone else said that some are creative and some are intimidated, and this is so true. Some people can see the supplies and have several ideas, while others are totally overwhelmed and need guidance. I am sure there is someone out there that would be more suited to you. Good luck finding her or him!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

This is one of the nice things about being a demo! You can do it however you want!

There are a few reasons for the "MUST DO IT MY WAY" demo.

First, she could just be Type A. Where she must have control over EACH step. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that! Just some are that way (my best friend is type a!)

The other option is that she had people stealing from her at previous demos. I'm not saying that everyone at every demo steals, but once bitten..... By stealing I mean - she had a project planned and the customers were going in her bag taking what they wanted or leaving with extra cardstock. And believe me, it happens! I've heard a number of stories on the demo side about it happening. One demo even said she was at a workshop and turned around in time to see a "customer" (I think the demo said the lady ended up not even ordering!) cutting herself YARDS of ribbon not needed for the project!

I'm not saying one is wrong or right, just trying to give a different perspective....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Are you talking about wanting to do exactly what she had done - or wanting to use other stamps and inks to change fomr the basic card she provides...

a few things...like Julie mentioned sometimes demos will want to make sure the hands on part is moving along smoothly so someone isn't caught up with using a particular stamp or ink for too long...

Also some demos like to control what sets and inks get used...especially when there are new stampers...so that their ink pad or other supplies don't get ruined...

Personally I cut everything beforehand so there is not much you can do to change the card - I usually go pretty basic (like use a flower set) and have a general sentiment set (like Curvy Verses) so if the attendees want to stamp a particular message they can...

If you aren't comfortable with that particular demo then I would say find another demo...not everyone meshes well...different strokes for different folks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Amy:

When I hold a workshop, I too will show the guests one or two projects and then everyone does one hands on project. I will walk them through the project and LOVE it when they have different ideas-make the card their own. Often once everyone is done, I'll have them each hold up their finished project so that everyone can see that using the same materials and same concept, you can still have an individualized card!

BTW, I'm in the Cincy area and if you live in this part of Ohio, I'd love to hold a workshop for you in January!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks, all. I just wanted to make sure that that this was just a personality thing, not some sort of SU rules or something.

I was talking about just rearranging the stamped images- using all the same card elements. I wouldn't even dream of asking the demo for other stamps or other cardstock... I'm sorry some of you have to deal with that! And I can't believe that story about the lady taking the ribbon...wow... that took a lot of nerve!!

Last edited by amymcgs; 11-28-2007 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Each demonstrator will do their own thing. Some don't want you to put your own imprint on the project while others give free rein. You could talk to the new demonstrator and see if she would be willing to let the attendees to create their own using her sample as a starting point.

When I do a workshop, I will have a sample and explain and demo the techniques and then let the customers 'have at it'. I love to see the different results from the same sample. I have picked up some good ideas from what the customer has done.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

When I attend workshops held by my demo, the big joke is that I will change something - if she has everything square and layered, I will make one layer crosswise or put the bow somewhere else, or whatever - I don't ask for different ink or product, and would never dream of taking her supplies unless she offered them. Can't believe someone cut all that ribbon for themselves. Also, my demo precuts everything for the workshop and has it in an another room, so her supplies are not handy, right there for the taking. I don't think any of us would even dream of that, tho. Sometimes she gives us extras - celephanes to carry our projects, piles of scraps, etc. when we leave.
Reply With Quote Likes